Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

On 10/16/2020 at 7:12 PM, ramsjetsthunder said:

v2ZsXqD.png

Still needs more. Shows what a failure this set was that we can fix the 4 worst things and it's still awful

I don't know -- that looks much improved. Again, I hate monochromatic uniforms so the all-blue uniforms are awful, but the white over yellow looks pretty damn good. I don't mind the fonts at all. I love the shade of blue on the helmet.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/16/2020 at 7:41 PM, BBTV said:

If these unforms never existed, and they rolled these out now (in the current colors), I think many would consider them in the top tier of the league.

Before they messed with the pants, this was one of my favorites.  Even the "dull" colors looked great under natural light.  I get that we were never going to get a simple recolor, but that's all that was needed.

51694693.jpg

A big hell no to those. Never liked them when they made the switch. There are two different shades of gold and perhaps three different shades.

There wouldn’t be different shades of gold if they were in the current colors.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 10/16/2020 at 7:41 PM, BBTV said:

If these unforms never existed, and they rolled these out now (in the current colors), I think many would consider them in the top tier of the league.

Before they messed with the pants, this was one of my favorites.  Even the "dull" colors looked great under natural light.  I get that we were never going to get a simple recolor, but that's all that was needed.

(Faulk pic)

spacer.png

Cool. 

They could also do that but with single-color numbers.

Alternatively, they could work a little white into the horn as a keyline, but maybe almost like a shadow (white outline on the bottom of the curves.  You want a pants stripe?  Sure.  Solid blue, or blue and white (but not a triple stripe,)

That could have been really good - miles better than what hey have.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, that's pretty much what I wanted them to do, but with the numbers moved to the sleeves and the goat head removed, and no white on the home jerseys except for the NOB. It's vivid and contemporary while still keeping the classic L.A. Rams palette. They're too old a team to get conceptual with streetwear and vaporwave.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I finally understand why the distinction @Gothamite and others have made between yellow and athletic gold is so important.

I don’t know if it was just the cameras or the lighting, but in the game last night the Rams’ pants looked almost highlighter yellow, a far cry from the original throwbacks, and a significant downgrade, in my opinion.

vhfzdBp.jpg

This set has the elements to look good, but it falls short in key areas to me. If they removed the segment in the horns and the “Fruit Roll-Up” lines within the numbers, went back to a more true athletic gold, and modeled the away set off of it, I would honestly really like this uniform set. Right now, as it is, I just don’t. 

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

I don’t know if it was just the cameras or the lighting, but in the game last night the Rams’ pants looked almost highlighter yellow, a far cry from the original throwbacks, and a significant downgrade, in my opinion.

It’s the lighting.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

On 10/20/2020 at 6:57 PM, the admiral said:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I wanted them to do, but with the numbers moved to the sleeves and the goat head removed, and no white on the home jerseys except for the NOB. It's vivid and contemporary while still keeping the classic L.A. Rams palette. They're too old a team to get conceptual with streetwear and vaporwave.

But not really, given how much they've bounced around. Cleveland to LA to St. Louis to LA is a lot of franchise movement, especially given how dramatically different they looked in St. Louis compared to LA.

And, maybe it's the perpetual 9-year-old in me, but like the Bengals, I've always thought of the Rams as a "fun" team given their helmets.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Cleveland is practically irrelevant to the Rams' history. Nobody cares about when they were playing against the Boston Yanks at a high school field. For all intents and purposes, they're an old Los Angeles team that got booted out to St. Louis against the league's wishes but finally went back. Everything they do, visually speaking, should be in service of righting the wrong of that St. Louis relocation and retaking their place as the NFL team in the second-largest city in America, which dictates a level of seriousness that mid-to-small-market teams don't have to (and shouldn't) observe. Between segmenting the ram horn to suggest ocean waves and honor the Fibonacci sequence or something, proprietary-font numbers, a gradient on said numbers, vaporwave striping in the gradient, off-white in place of regular white except when it's not in place of regular white, and patches with contrasting stitching to evoke streetwear, there are too many ideas going on at once for one uniform. I didn't even get to how there are two versions of the script depending on whether or not the city name is included. Their peers along sport and market axes are the Lakers, Dodgers, Giants, and Bears, and their identity should fit comfortably among those.

The Bengals looked their best when they didn't get carried away: the helmet and the tiger-striped inserts on the jerseys and pants were enough that the rest of the set was conservative: black/orange/white, block numbers, no shoulder yokes or white tiger tummies on the sides. The Bengals didn't even paint midfield and the endzones at Riverfront Stadium (though that may not have been so much about balanced minimalism as the fact that it cost money). 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The Bengals didn't even paint midfield and the endzones at Riverfront Stadium (though that may not have been so much about balanced minimalism as the fact that it cost money).

They did in the last 5-6ish years at Riverfront, but I remember the blank field well.  I figure one thing, I probably first saw the original tiger striped endzones on NFL Primetime (IIRC they debuted a year before the leaping tiger)...and middle school me was probably pleasantly surprised.  

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 10/27/2020 at 12:35 PM, guest23 said:

It's the colors.

Yeah, it's the colors.  Both the Rams and Chargers maddeningly went with lighter shades of yellow, maybe to distinguish themselves from the Packers and Steelers.

The Rams call it "Sol" and the Chargers call their color "Sunshine Gold."

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

10 hours ago, doctorpeligro said:

Yeah, it's the colors.  Both the Rams and Chargers maddeningly went with lighter shades of yellow, maybe to distinguish themselves from the Packers and Steelers.

The Rams call it "Sol" and the Chargers call their color "Sunshine Gold."

According to @TruColor, the Chargers' shade of athletic gold hasn't changed, at least since the San Diego days, and is actually the same shade that the Packers and Steelers use. It maybe just looks brighter since it's paired with just powder blue now, not bordered with navy anymore.

6 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

According to @TruColor, the Chargers' shade of athletic gold hasn't changed, at least since the San Diego days, and is actually the same shade that the Packers and Steelers use. It maybe just looks brighter since it's paired with just powder blue now, not bordered with navy anymore.

And it's gorgeous, especially when used with the powder blue. The Rams' new shade, Sol, is a bit too bright for my tastes and would certainly benefit from being closer to athletic gold. The new blue, Rams Royal, could also be toned down a bit in my opinion.

the user formerly known as cdclt

12 hours ago, MJD7 said:

With all due respect to @TruColor, that is incorrect.  Both of these images are from CCSLN.  The colors are different.

spacer.png

spacer.png

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

Archived