Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

48 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Even still, putting it on the same level as the Rams and Titans is criminal

You're probably right. I threw the list together in like 5 minutes while at work LOL. I don't like them, but you are probably right now that I think about it. They at least belong up a tier in the mediocre.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

spacer.png

There are quite a few dumb decisions you could dissect with the Rams' new uniforms... the horn split, the name tags, the gradients, the dishwater gray road uniforms... but the disconnect between the sleeves on the home vs road is the one for me that's the hardest to figure out what they were thinking. I mean, I dislike those other decisions, but I can see it as sort of a matter of taste. I like the horn as a single piece better, someone else might not. I like the jersey front cleaner, someone else might like those add-on accessories. I always see gradients as a cheap, minor league relic, someone else might still consider it a valid design choice. I think the oatmeal color goes poorly with the bright blue and yellow, someone else might think it's uniqueness makes it worth it. I get that those things are opinions, and there really isn't a right or wrong. But the sleeves?  What?

Why do they make the decision to go in such a radically different approach with the curved stripe-like element?  And then, having made that decision, why add TV numbers to the road? And then, having made that decision, why stretch them horizontally?  And then, having made that decision, why italicize them? What the hell? Wasn't there anybody in the room whose job it was to suggest possibly dialing it back a bit?  It reminds me of what I feel when I see the Titans' current mess. It looks like everyone contributed a different idea, and there was no editor there with a scalpel to trim it back. But then, I guess you could say that about the whole uniform.

10 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

There are quite a few dumb decisions you could dissect with the Rams' new uniforms... the horn split, the name tags, the gradients, the dishwater gray road uniforms... but the disconnect between the sleeves on the home vs road is the one for me that's the hardest to figure out what they were thinking. I mean, I dislike those other decisions, but I can see it as sort of a matter of taste. I like the horn as a single piece better, someone else might not. I like the jersey front cleaner, someone else might like those add-on accessories. I always see gradients as a cheap, minor league relic, someone else might still consider it a valid design choice. I think the oatmeal color goes poorly with the bright blue and yellow, someone else might think it's uniqueness makes it worth it. I get that those things are opinions, and there really isn't a right or wrong. But the sleeves?  What?

Why do they make the decision to go in such a radically different approach with the curved stripe-like element?  And then, having made that decision, why add TV numbers to the road? And then, having made that decision, why stretch them horizontally?  And then, having made that decision, why italicize them? What the hell? Wasn't there anybody in the room whose job it was to suggest possibly dialing it back a bit?  It reminds me of what I feel when I see the Titans' current mess. It looks like everyone contributed a different idea, and there was no editor there with a scalpel to trim it back. But then, I guess you could say that about the whole uniform.

I was thinking about this the other day and the only theory that makes sense to me is that they did not have an obvious shoulder treatment that was working and went down a few paths in terms of ideas. When it came time to pick a single design, the decision makers were split on picking a clear winner so they opted for the stl arch treatment on the home because it matched the helmet better and they absolutely could not resist the allure of having the 1st off-white streetwear inspired uniform in their regular rotation. The combined series of bad choices makes for what will go down as one of the worst redesigns of all time.

Even if it was just the TV number difference, they still could have done the number over the same sleeve design as the blue jersey.

Also - the image on the left is kan example of how even the new horn shape will sometimes have issues with contemporary helmets:

mO7WpXq.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think the group in charge of the rams redesign sat down and brainstormed a list of ideas for the new identity, and then somehow tried to fit every idea on that list into the identity.

That's the only way I can imagine how we got two incredibly different yet equally as awful home and away uniforms. 

I honestly can't wait to see the alternates because they're bound to have some design aspect not seen in the other uniforms. It'll be such a horrible mess. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 hour ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I honestly can't wait to see the alternates because they're bound to have some design aspect not seen in the other uniforms. It'll be such a horrible mess. 

One will be a gradient fade from blue to yellow like what the Falcons did and the other will be either a BFBS uniform or, if they feel particularly kind, a throwback. Calling it now.

On 11/25/2020 at 8:21 AM, Durden said:

I can only because I consider the Falcons to be the absolute worst uniforms in the NFL and to me, it's not close. The Rams uniforms are very disappointing, however, don't get me wrong.

Falcons are bad, but atleast it’s only limited to a bad number font, and insisting on every game being monochrome, and just being a disappointment from what we were expecting. Even the gradient alt isn’t that bad. But the rams uniforms don’t have a single aspect to them that are even remotely good. 

Are people really complaining about the shade of blue? IMO that’s the one part they nailed. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 11/25/2020 at 5:36 PM, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I think the group in charge of the rams redesign sat down and brainstormed a list of ideas for the new identity, and then somehow tried to fit every idea on that list into the identity.

That's the only way I can imagine how we got two incredibly different yet equally as awful home and away uniforms. 

Unfortunately, I feel like this has been the case in way too many Nike/NFL redesigns. Browns, Bucs, Jaguars, Lions, Rams, Falcons and Titans. All had some nice touches but overall they just seem to be trying too hard. Weird number fonts, awkward wordmark placements, unnecessary helmet modifications and gradients are fine in small doses. But when you do all that at the same time, it's a mess. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Saw this beauty online today. It's got a host of other concepts with it but this is the best set. I think one of y'all may have made it. Well done.

mWpyVjG.png

Full set: https://www.behance.net/gallery/90133117/Los-Angeles-Rams-Uniform-Redesign

See, Rams?  Shouldn’t have been an easy call. 

The reality is that his idiotic baggy undershirt would probably be blue or white, making the whole thing look like an amateur clown suit.  The white facemask is bad too.

Archived