Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/18/2020 at 3:40 PM, Ben in LA said:

Apparently the Rams are going bone jersey over yellow pants against the Jets in this TRAP GAME.

Well, you called that.  Sorry.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

19 hours ago, guest23 said:

Came across this image after the Kevin Green (RIP) news hit. I may be biased but this might be peak nfl uniform aesthetic.

spacer.png

This is a perfect example of the biggest issue with the Rams new set. It's not really about the new set being total garbage (which it is) but it's more about not living up to the standards that the Rams should and could have aesthetically. If the Jags or the Panthers put out a set in the realm of what the Rams just did, oh well. It's bad but it's not like they had a stout uniform history. But this is the RAMS. I remember as a kid collecting the gumball machine NFL helmets. The horn was so iconic. It's a shame really.

16 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

This is a perfect example of the biggest issue with the Rams new set. It's not really about the new set being total garbage (which it is) but it's more about not living up to the standards that the Rams should and could have aesthetically. If the Jags or the Panthers put out a set in the realm of what the Rams just did, oh well. It's bad but it's not like they had a stout uniform history. But this is the RAMS. I remember as a kid collecting the gumball machine NFL helmets. The horn was so iconic. It's a shame really.

So true. It was right there for them NOT to screw the 2020 uniform up. Great pic too. What a shame Also, R.I.P. Mr. Greene, I'm glad we didn't have to see you wearing a bone colored uniform.

23 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

I agree, especially when it comes to the colors and general design of the uniform, but — thanks in part to some of the criticisms I've read on this thread — I'm starting to recognize some of the flaws in that old helmet horn that I'd never really considered before. The shape of it is odd, and it seems designed to cover the maximum amount of real estate on the helmet before curling around the ear hole. It's not a particularly elegant shape. 

I can take or leave the segmented structure of the redesigned horn, but I think they at least got the proportions right. 

On 12/24/2020 at 8:00 AM, gosioux76 said:

I agree, especially when it comes to the colors and general design of the uniform, but — thanks in part to some of the criticisms I've read on this thread — I'm starting to recognize some of the flaws in that old helmet horn that I'd never really considered before. The shape of it is odd, and it seems designed to cover the maximum amount of real estate on the helmet before curling around the ear hole. It's not a particularly elegant shape. 

I can take or leave the segmented structure of the redesigned horn, but I think they at least got the proportions right. 

I think the classic horn fills the space way better. The new one doesn't reach far enough to the back

fiowXOD.png

The Rams’ bone uniform looks exceptionally cream/light khaki today in Seattle, more so than other days when it looks more gray.

I’d really be curious what kind of screen or field tests, if any, these uniforms took during the design process. Maybe they wanted the color to be a bit shapeshifting like that, but that much of a color swing would worry me tremendously if I worked for the Rams and were calling the shots. And no, one color doesn’t look better than the other, either. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

The Rams’ bone uniform looks exceptionally cream/light khaki today in Seattle, more so than other days when it looks more gray.

I’d really be curious what kind of screen or field tests, if any, these uniforms took during the design process. Maybe they wanted the color to be a bit shapeshifting like that, but that much of a color swing would worry me tremendously if I worked for the Rams and were calling the shots. And no, one color doesn’t look better than the other, either. 

TV testing is typically more focused on readability/contrast. Color depends so much on the user’s TV settings that it’s not a valuable method for calibrating hues. You have to design for what it looks like in person and essentially hope for the best when it comes to TV.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Speaking of the uniform Kevin Greene was wearing, the Rams won every game in that uniform when they played in the regular season last year. They only lost to the Cowboys in Hawaii for a preseason game and beat Denver the next week. By the way I hate the uniforms they have now.

58 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

TV testing is typically more focused on readability/contrast. Color depends so much on the user’s TV settings that it’s not a valuable method for calibrating hues. You have to design for what it looks like in person and essentially hope for the best when it comes to TV.

Ah, thank you for the clarification on that. That’s good to know.

In any case, that particular uniform just has a myriad of problems. There’s more than a few elements, uniform color included, that leave me baffled as to how they made the cut.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, fouhy12 said:

The bone wouldn't be quite as bad if they weren't trying to pair it with white. You can't have white and off-white battling for real estate within a brand like that. 

Yeah but....

The other team will have white. There are sidelines. You can't escape white, so this will always look dirty.

It's where I sit.

If they wanted an off-white, the least they could have done is just owned that and made everything off-white that normally is stark white. Instead, it's both on the same uniform and it looks horrible. At least owning your off-white with a stupid name would be a little respectable.

1 minute ago, Ridleylash said:

If they wanted an off-white, the least they could have done is just owned that and made everything off-white that normally is stark white. Instead, it's both on the same uniform and it looks horrible. At least owning your off-white with a stupid name would be a little respectable.

The Rams on every single detail of this redesign:

0fc.gif

fiowXOD.png

You can’t eliminate white from the uniforms. Chinstraps, bumpers, socks (well, some of them anyways), all have to be white.

And, as @Sec19Row53 mentioned, there will always be white in the frame.

What a terrible idea the bone is.  In another era, that level of mistake would be known by its proper name. 

spacer.png

Archived