Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/22/2021 at 2:28 PM, colortv said:

The bone is pretty bad, but I wouldn’t put too much stock in what the board says as far as the general public.People here seem to think every NFL team should stick with their 80s uniforms or some plain Jane designs and never change.

Except for the people here who want every traditional design thrown overboard to chase the manufacturers’ latest trend.  😛

Big group of people has diverse set of opinions.  🤷🏽‍♂️

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Except for the people here who want every traditional design thrown overboard to chase the manufacturers’ latest trend.  😛

Eh, the hyperbole gets tiresome when every time someone doesn't like something it's "this is the WORST idea EVER".

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yes, agreed. The tastes are pretty polarizing on here.

2 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I thought the Rams best worst combinations were the blue over blue and bone over bone (with blue socks and undershirts). I think both sets maximize the things about the uniforms that are cool and interesting terrible.

Rams-Eagles-Football-4-1.jpg

gallery_medium.jpg

Fixed it for you.

25 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Fixed it for you.

I disagree.

If you look at the blue over blue, the elements have a consistent yellow ➡️ white ➡️ yellow across the entire uniform from the helmet to the pant cuff. The bone over bone has the same white/yellow detail running from the sleeve down the side of the pants with the blue socks/sleeve providing the right amount of contrast and blending with the numbers.

35 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I disagree.

If you look at the blue over blue, the elements have a consistent yellow ➡️ white ➡️ yellow across the entire uniform from the helmet to the pant cuff. The bone over bone has the same white/yellow detail running from the sleeve down the side of the pants with the blue socks/sleeve providing the right amount of contrast and blending with the numbers.

And yet both combos still look like absolute dog :censored:.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

This was about as good as it got for the Rams this year;

spacer.png

It helps if you're getting a TV shot that's far enough away that the atrocious number gradients don't really register. Every other possible combination they trotted out was pretty much a disaster.  The all blue sucked, any combination that included the dishwater jerseys or pants was terrible, anytime the socks and pants were the same color. All bad.

That said, the fix is fairly simple. Change the numbers to plain yellow (no stupid gradient, but also get rid of those cheap plastic-y add-ons) and the home jersey is fine. Get a white (WHITE!) jersey that matches the home, and only wear the above pants and socks, home and road, and they would remove themselves from the bottom five.

^ and drop the silly "Los Angeles Rams" patches.

The plastic gimmick is silly for sure, and clearly just to add something to make the jerseys more appealing at retail, but ultimately harmless in the grand scheme of things.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

29 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

That said, the fix is fairly simple. Change the numbers to plain yellow (no stupid gradient, but also get rid of those cheap plastic-y add-ons) and the home jersey is fine. Get a white (WHITE!) jersey that matches the home, and only wear the above pants and socks, home and road, and they would remove themselves from the bottom five.

Helmet decals are still ruined

33 minutes ago, BBTV said:

The plastic gimmick is silly for sure, and clearly just to add something to make the jerseys more appealing at retail, but ultimately harmless in the grand scheme of things.

Oh, you're right... I completely missed the goofy name tags.

Yeah, they gotta go.

I can't help but feel a persistent "ok, boomer" reaction to the mountains of LA Rams criticism. So much of it reads as different = bad to me. I don't know if that's my limited thinking or this board's. [Insert Skinner meme here.]

Here are some things about the Rams set I don't like:

- the bone pants look terrible with the blue jersey

- the bone jersey looks terrible with yellow pants

- the retail bone jersey isn't as cool as I thought it would be

- white on bone doesn't look great

Here are some things I do like about the Rams set:

- these are two suberb modern NFL uniforms:

vm3saq316dfod78fky3a

th?id=OVFT.TWatVtQ_CBfuyC9gO0bCwS&pid=Ne

- the color balance on each set is unique to each set, but also perfect for each set

- the gradient numbers are fine. Different, but fine

- the number font itself looks great

- they managed to keep a shoulder horn on the blue jersey

- I like the blue pants and blue socks together

- they modernized an NFL look without all going collegiate; I think that's a harder challenge than most will give them credit for

- I still like the patch. I think it's neat.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I can't help but feel a persistent "ok, boomer" reaction to the mountains of LA Rams criticism. So much of it reads as different = bad to me. I don't know if that's my limited thinking or this board's. [Insert Skinner meme here.]

It's you, I think. Bone puts them ahead of all the ugly looks. It looked like crap at retail and it looks like crap on the field. The only time it looks good is when it's a pale imitation of what people ACTUALLY WANTED.

14606512_web1_Bet-JetsRams-122020-1.jpg?crop=1 images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKNn8IAmBKRAayj5eByEs

It's not "ok, boomer." It's "ok, person with taste."

Here are some things about the Rams set I don't like:

- the bone pants look terrible with the blue jersey

- the bone jersey looks terrible with yellow pants

- the retail bone jersey isn't as cool as I thought it would be

- white on bone doesn't look great

If that's the case, then bone is the problem. It's got to go. Also, the horn segmentation needs to go. The new shape is fantastic, but the segmentation murders it.

- the color balance on each set is unique to each set, but also perfect for each set

Nope. The blue pants make it too bottom-heavy.

- the gradient numbers are fine. Different, but fine

- the number font itself looks great

- they managed to keep a shoulder horn on the blue jersey

I'll give you all of that. Those are good assessments, but I'd side on ditching the gradient.

- I like the blue pants and blue socks together

That's invariably hideous. It's why this board hates the Saints and Seahawks so much. The all-black looks trashy, as does the all-navy. 

14 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

It's you, I think. Bone puts them ahead of all the ugly looks. It looked like crap at retail and it looks like crap on the field. The only time it looks good is when it's a pale imitation of what people ACTUALLY WANTED.

It's not "ok, boomer." It's "ok, person with taste."

First point: define "people." Not everyone wanted 1992 again.

Second point: There are no universal truths of uniform design, though I feel like a defining characteristic of many on this site is a great uniform must necessarily include:

- Block numbers

- Contrasting socks

- A pant stripe

- Shoulder numbers

- As close as possible to what pops watched in 1973

I know the new vs. old argument is super tired, but the new-look Rams seem like an inflection point here. I see flaws in the uniform, but I don't see "worst of all time." I understand that the uniform wasn't what people were hoping it would be, whether that was an older uniform or a yellow painting, but the reaction -- to me -- is way out of proportion with what was presented.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

I agree on all of this. It's been mentioned before on other threads that teams like the Panthers keep the repetitive panther head on the sleeves to help with retail sales. I wonder if that's  also the logic (if you can call it that) behind the patches on these Rams jerseys. That doesn't make the patches worth keeping, of course. It just makes them recognizable without trying too hard. 

Also, in the whole "OK boomer" and "different = bad" context, it's worth mentioning again that using something new like "bone" in a uniform in and of itself isn't an issue. The issue is specifically how it's applied in this case. Applied next to darker colors — orange and black were referenced earlier in this thread — then it could absolutely be complementary and enhance the looks. But paired with the Rams' radiant hues of blue and yellow, its drabness detracts and drags the whole set down. 

So it's not bad because it's different and new. It's just bad because it's not being used in a way that makes sense. 

Archived