OnWis97

Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

8 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

First point: define "people." Not everyone wanted 1992 again.

Second point: There are no universal truths of uniform design, though I feel like a defining characteristic of many on this site is a great uniform must necessarily include:

- Block numbers

- Contrasting socks

- A pant stripe

- Shoulder numbers

- As close as possible to what pops watched in 1973

I know the new vs. old argument is super tired, but the new-look Rams seem like an inflection point here. I see flaws in the uniform, but I don't see "worst of all time." I understand that the uniform wasn't what people were hoping it would be, whether that was an older uniform or a yellow painting, but the reaction -- to me -- is way out of proportion with what was presented.

I’m all for different, just make it look like an NFL team and keep the identity consistent throughout the logos and uniforms. The Rams fail to do both of those things, that’s why it’s not good, not “people hate things that are different.” 

Good looking teams that pull off different, such as the the Broncos or Seahawks, do both of those things fine. Which is why they look anywhere from good to great, depending on the person. 

You could even say the Rams have always been different, those throwbacks certainly standout among the whole league. Their only one of 3 teams (along side the Chargers and Bengals) to implement the team mascot into the striping. So your argument is redundant. 

Also, stop insulting people based on their opinions, it's okay to take a joking jab at someone but you don't need to blast people for two pages 'bout how awful their opinions are and how you're the only right one. 

10 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Also, stop insulting people based on their opinions, it's okay to take a joking jab at someone but you don't need to blast people for two pages 'bout how awful their opinions are and how you're the only right one. 

I wouldn't have to if people didn't have such terrible taste!

Kidding. I don't think two posts over 586 is blasting people for two pages, but point received. People don't like the Rams!

It’s not that I don’t like “different” looks. I maintain that the Broncos have a top-ten look. The Titans’ old uniforms were unfairly maligned. It’s just that the Rams’ look fails on so many levels and simply doesn’t live up to its potential.

Bone, blue pants, gradients, and segmenting the horn were all bad ideas that get us further away from the potential.

00PRwLy.png

That’s beautiful. No bone, no segments, and only yellow pants.

The Chargers did it, the Bucs did it, and the Browns did it. Why shouldn't the Rams do it?

Edited by SFGiants58

7 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

It’s not that I don’t like “different” looks. I maintain that the Broncos have a top-ten look. The Titans’ old uniforms were unfairly maligned. It’s just that the Rams’ look fails on so many levels and simply doesn’t live up to its potential.

Bone, blue pants, gradients, and segmenting the horn were all bad ideas that get us further away from the potential.

00PRwLy.png

The Chargers did it, the Bucs did it, and the Browns did it. Why shouldn't the Rams do it?

This is all they had to do. But the Rams went and tried way too hard.

15 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Because they wanted to do something different. I don't mind swings and misses. Or foul balls with the potential of home runs.

12 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

00PRwLy.png

This got me thinking about the shoulder treatments on these uniforms. 

I don't hate the helmet horn segments as much as many of you. But I think without them, you have to come up with something different for the shoulders. Absent the classic ram horns, which don't work on the modern-cut uniform, losing the segments just leaves you with yellow or blue arches on the sleeves, which I don't think work all that well. The Rams actual jerseys incorporate the segments from the helmet, so at least there's a logical tie-in.

There has to be some modern treatment that can give you something horn-like without needing actual wrap-around horns. 

1 minute ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Because they wanted to do something different. I don't mind swings and misses. Or foul balls with the potential of home runs.

I do. Sometimes, different isn’t the answer. It was the answer for the Broncos, Seahawks, Jets, Falcons, and others. It absolutely wasn’t the answer for the Rams.

“Different” more often than not means garbage.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Rams seem to fit into this group just fine.

1 minute ago, gosioux76 said:

Absent the classic ram horns, which don't work on the modern-cut uniform

Can't say I agree on that, they work fine.

spacer.png

Easily better than their current disasters.

3 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Can't say I agree on that, they work fine.

spacer.png

Easily better than their current disasters.

I'll give you that. But squeezing them onto that small space with TV numbers and a swoosh is not my idea of a good or ideal look. 

31 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I do. Sometimes, different isn’t the answer. It was the answer for the Broncos, Seahawks, Jets, Falcons, and others. It absolutely wasn’t the answer for the Rams.

“Different” more often than not means garbage.

spacer.png

The Rams seem to fit into this group just fine.

The drop shadow is weird, the extended shoulder stripes are silly, and "CLEVELAND" is unnecessary, but these will forever be awesome to me:

browns-brown-pantsjpg-75c01a1bb05c2a54.j

39 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

the Rams redesigning their uniforms:

kruk.gif

I hated them when they first got unveiled but outside of the gradient number/pants stripe I actually think the rams did a really good job of making a modern jersey design while not looking gimmiky. Like when I think of the falcons, old buccaneers, old browns they were just trying to be non traditional for the sake of it but all of the design elements besides maybe the patches look intentional. Even on the bone jersey I like how they play with subtle design using yellow and white on the bone, it is still a very clean design and the blue helmet and numbers make an amazing contrast to the design of the uniform. 

26 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The drop shadow is weird, the extended shoulder stripes are silly, and "CLEVELAND" is unnecessary, but these will forever be awesome to me:

"BROWNS" on pants pic

That was the worst part of it. Truly hideous.

11 minutes ago, dannykraft said:

I hated them when they first got unveiled but outside of the gradient number/pants stripe I actually think the rams did a really good job of making a modern jersey design while not looking gimmiky. Like when I think of the falcons, old buccaneers, old browns they were just trying to be non traditional for the sake of it but all of the design elements besides maybe the patches look intentional. Even on the bone jersey I like how they play with subtle design using yellow and white on the bone, it is still a very clean design and the blue helmet and numbers make an amazing contrast to the design of the uniform. 

Bone is a gimmick and the yellow on the jersey is the opposite of clean. In general, the whole thing seems more muddy and clean. Heck, the throwback and the St. Louis set was more "clean" than what they have now.

On 1/24/2021 at 2:43 PM, colortv said:

Eh, the hyperbole gets tiresome when every time someone doesn't like something it's "this is the WORST idea EVER".

Case in point the last two pages..

9 minutes ago, colortv said:

Case in point the last two pages..

It’s hardly hyperbole.

38 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Bone is a gimmick and the yellow on the jersey is the opposite of clean. In general, the whole thing seems more muddy and clean. Heck, the throwback and the St. Louis set was more "clean" than what they have now.

This?

7618111-nfl-new-orleans-saints-at-st.-lo

And the current Rams can't be the WORST EVER when this happened:

rams_jaguars_football_24705587-1.jpg?w=1

12 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

This?

7618111-nfl-new-orleans-saints-at-st.-lo

And the current Rams can't be the WORST EVER when this happened:

rams_jaguars_football_24705587-1.jpg?w=1

The latter, I'll give you. It was a hack job meant to tide things over before the new stadium. It has excuses.

The former? It doesn't feature the ugly bone color, has normal-looking number material, and doesn't try to go crazy with gradients or "bone." It's absolutely "cleaner." Heck, look at what it was in the "right" combinations.

Tennessee+Titans+v+St+Louis+Rams+SklRJTzXfzhx.jpg la-1488329067-5cfbnyfy8l-snap-photo 104689532_original.jpg?1302639691

The only areas where the new set is better are the yellow shade/pants, blue shade, helmet color, and single-layer numbers. Otherwise, I'd argue they downgraded.

50 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The only areas where the new set is better are the yellow shade/pants, blue shade, helmet color, and single-layer numbers. Otherwise, I'd argue they downgraded

I'd take it one step further and say they did downgrade. Assuming the home uniform stays the throwback, I'd prefer they'd of just not changed if what we got is what they were going to roll out. 

I'll always been a fan of the St. Louis era look too. 

First post in this thread. Full disclaimer, I'm a hardcore hockey fan through and through, never watch baseball or basketball and can probably best be described as a very casual football fan who plays Madden, watches an NFL game or two a year and goes to a CFL game every other year. I'm just not seeing the hate for the new Rams uni. I actually think the bone colored jerseys look great. Maybe because as a hockey fan, the NHL has been pushing vintage white/heritage white/dirty white down our throats for about a decade now? So I'm used to that color I guess. And I do think it looks better on green turf than on a crisp white sheet of ice. I'm actually thinking of buying one of those Bone jerseys, I think they look great with blue pants and pretty good with yellow pants. Not a fan of monochrome in football, but since I'm not a true football fan who's been watching it for years or anything, I don't have any strong opinions on the LAR patch, plastic trim on numbers or even the broken up horns on the helmets, the same way I don't hold any strong opinions on contrasting socks or grey facemasks

End of rant

TLDR version: hockey fan here, I think bone looks good and there is no way this is the worst uniform of all time compared to the 00s Bills or Alarm Clock Bucs or current Cardinals. Football traditionalists need to chill with the knee jerk reaction to the Rams uniforms lol