Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

This?

Sb8Hrvsc.jpg

I dunno if we can read anything into it.

Only that @infrared41 may be excusing himself for a few minutes.  :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

26 minutes ago, doctorpeligro said:

Is this tweet hinting at a new road jersey?

Screenshot_20160705-183726~2.png

Nope. The Rams will be in Navy and Gold every game except the games where they wear throwbacks until 2019. Just accept it already. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

33 minutes ago, kw11333 said:

Including the color rush, and the throwback games, and the one game in London, are the Rams even going to wear the St Louis Rams jersey at home?

Color Rush is away for the Rams. They can only were the throwbacks twice, so they will wear the St Louis jerseys 6 times at home. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

5 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Color Rush is away for the Rams. They can only were the throwbacks twice, so they will wear the St Louis jerseys 6 times at home. 

We do know that they have petitioned the league to wear the throwbacks more than the approved two times.  What's unclear is whether the NFL is paying attention or will continue its spectacularly tone-deaf approach to this relocation.  

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

We do know that they have petitioned the league to wear the throwbacks more than the approved two times.  What's unclear is whether the NFL is paying attention or will continue its spectacularly tone-deaf approach to this relocation.  

What kind of fine would the Rams get if they wore their throwbacks more than the approved two times?

7 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

have they announced that officially? they could still choose to wear white at home if not

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

12 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

have they announced that officially? they could still choose to wear white at home if not

That would still mean wearing the St. Louis uniforms . . . just the white ones instead of the blue.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, ltp74 said:

What kind of fine would the Rams get if they wore their throwbacks more than the approved two times?

We don't know.  It would likely be increasing every week.

And the NFL would also have the ability to levy penalties like decreasing the Rams' revenue share, and other things. Just not worth it for uniforms, especially when the league has the ability to wave its collective hand and allow the Rams to wear their throwbacks eight times instead of two.

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

And the NFL would also have the ability to levy penalties like decreasing the Rams' revenue share, and other things. Just not worth it for uniforms, especially when the league has the ability to wave its collective hand and allow the Rams to wear their throwbacks eight times instead of two.

Would the NFL really go that far? They have tons of merchandise in the throwback colors on their websites, the fans in LA clearly want the old colors and the crowd in the Coliseum will be wearing the throwback colors. What does the NFL achieve by punishing the Rams for giving the fans what they want? If they really wanted to wait until 2019 to revert to the old colors why have them available for purchase now?

I'm sure going into this the NFL and Rams thought that the LA fans would be fine with the St. Louis colors and gobble up tons of merchandise but that's not the case, allowing the Rams to do what the Penguins did in the playoffs wearing the throwbacks at home and St. Louis colors on the road seems like a decent compromise.

41 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I don't think the NFL League Office has that power.  Probably requires a 2/3 vote, at least.  IMO anyway, could be wrong.  I don't think other owners really care if the Rams are wearing throwbacks or not.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

35 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I don't think the NFL League Office has that power.  Probably requires a 2/3 vote, at least.  IMO anyway, could be wrong.  I don't think other owners really care if the Rams are wearing throwbacks or not.

Quite the contrary, handling day to day operations and enforcing league bylaws/policies is one of the league offices primary roles. It provides a centralized management structure and ensures that all franchisees are operating in the best interests of the league and which ultimately benefits the long term interests of the franchisees. The enforcement mechanism that the league office has at its disposal is the ability to withhold a portion of shared revenue/levy fines or confiscate draft picks.

The 2/3 vote would only apply to major issues such as tv contracts, rules changes, relocation etc. Uniform/branding enforcement would fall squarely within established nfl properties guidelines and it would arbiter a decision based on the best interests of the league. Franchises always have the the opportunity to petition the league for exceptions/waivers and sometimes they are granted (JAGS). Others are not. I'm sure the rams also have the right to appeal back to the same party but if they really want to have the rules changed they are better off presenting their case at the annual ownership meetings, then the league will follow suit.

28 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Quite the contrary, handling day to day operations and enforcing league bylaws/policies is one of the league offices primary roles. It provides a centralized management structure and ensures that all franchisees are operating in the best interests of the league and which ultimately benefits the long term interests of the franchisees. The enforcement mechanism that the league office has at its disposal is the ability to withhold a portion of shared revenue/levy fines or confiscate draft picks.

The 2/3 vote would only apply to major issues such as tv contracts, rules changes, relocation etc. Uniform/branding enforcement would fall squarely within established nfl properties guidelines and it would arbiter a decision based on the best interests of the league. Franchises always have the the opportunity to petition the league for exceptions/waivers and sometimes they are granted (JAGS). Others are not. I'm sure the rams also have the right to appeal back to the same party but if they really want to have the rules changed they are better off presenting their case at the annual ownership meetings, then the league will follow suit.

The NFL could fine a team, but it can't unilaterally take away revenue sharing.  There is a difference. It would take substantial spin to proclaim the Rams are not acting in the best interest of the league by wearing throwback uniforms.  

From what I've read I think the Rams are working hard behind the scenes with the NFL to allow the color rush and throwbacks to be used a majority of the time. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but the Rams have said as much (that the current rule won't allow but they are working with the NFL to allow them an exception). 

Anyone know how much the 49ers were fined in 1994(?) for continuing to wear their throwbacks more than was allowed?

8 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

From what I've read I think the Rams are working hard behind the scenes with the NFL to allow the color rush and throwbacks to be used a majority of the time. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but the Rams have said as much (that the current rule won't allow but they are working with the NFL to allow them an exception). 

Anyone know how much the 49ers were fined in 1994(?) for continuing to wear their throwbacks more than was allowed?

Not sure the issue was as big in the early 90s as it is today.  There were no league-wide exclusive contracts; identity planning didn't need two years.  Remember, the Pats had four different home and road jerseys from '92-95.  1994 was a league-wide throwback celebration (and really was the first block of the throwback craze). "No don't keep wearing throwbacks during this throwback year" probably would have been an odd thing for Tags to say.

Archived