Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I think you got it the other way around. The Rams yellow is off where as the Chargers yellow is much more similar to the Packers and Steelers athletic gold, which is a great shade. 

The Chargers is definitely not the same:

usatsi_15224253_168388034_lowres.jpg

GettyImages-1277052355-1024x683.jpg

justin-herbert-hunter-henry-chargers.jpg

Just now, GoGreenGoWhite said:

The Packers, Steelers, and Chargers shades of gold are all extremely similar if not the same. Any of us can find photos that make these teams' gold look like banana yellow, it's just different lighting and cameras.

Why can’t I like your post? This is 100% correct

According to TruColor, the Chargers, Steelers, and Packers all use the exact same yellow.  The Rams is different.

00a22b40471344019c2516260b6700e3.png

Los Angeles Chargers
SUNSHINE GOLD
PMS 1235 C
#FFB81C
R255 G184 B28
C0 M25 Y94 K0

Pittsburgh Steelers

GOLD
PMS 1235 C
#FFB81C
R255 G184 B28
C0 M25 Y94 K0

Green Bay Packers
GOLD
PMS 1235 C
#FFB81C
R255 G184 B28
C0 M25 Y94 K0

tumblr_nvzbhpjcr61upqnuho1_400.png

Los Angeles Rams
SOL
PMS 109 C
#FFD100
R255 G209 B0
C0 M5 Y100 K0

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Teams with Shades of Gold: (according to teamcolorcodes.com)

Packers- PANTONE: PMS 1235
HEX COLOR: #FFB612;
RGB: (255,184,28)

Chiefs- PANTONE: PMS 1235 C

HEX CODE: #FFB81C

Chargers- PANTONE: PMS 1235 C

HEX CODE: #FFC20E
RGB: (255,194,14)

Steelers- PANTONE: PMS 1235

HEX COLOR: #FFB612
RGB: (255,182,18)

Washington- PANTONE: 1235 C

10 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Teams with Shades of Gold: (according to teamcolorcodes.com)

Packers- PANTONE: PMS 1235

Chiefs- PANTONE: PMS 1235 C

HEX CODE: #FFB81C

Chargers- PANTONE: PMS 1235 C

HEX CODE: #FFC20E
RGB: (255,194,14)

Steelers- PANTONE: PMS 1235

HEX COLOR: #FFB612

Washington- PANTONE: 1235 C

I really wish people would stop citing teamcolorcodes...so many mistakes, bad assumptions, etc.

The guy's got the correct PMS values there, but most of those custom Hex and RGB values are completely wrong. My site (as I repeatedly state) shows the Hex and RGB values that correspond to current Pantone standards, but a lot of the teams and leagues provide custom values. I track all of those custom values as well; only the Chargers there have the Hex and RGB values correct according to the current logo sheets.

20 minutes ago, TruColor said:

I really wish people would stop citing teamcolorcodes...so many mistakes, bad assumptions, etc.

The guy's got the correct PMS values there, but most of those custom Hex and RGB values are completely wrong. My site (as I repeatedly state) shows the Hex and RGB values that correspond to current Pantone standards, but a lot of the teams and leagues provide custom values. I track all of those custom values as well; only the Chargers there have the Hex and RGB values correct according to the current logo sheets.

I cited yours in my post.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, TruColor said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that only applies to logos on paper, and not necessarily jerseys and equipment. Unless that only applies to hockey? If I'm not mistaken, the Blues vintage 3rd jersey and the Jets light blue jerseys on paper are a different color (albeit only slightly different) but the actual jerseys are the exact same color

Could you shed some light on this?

1 minute ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that only applies to logos on paper, and not necessarily jerseys and equipment. Unless that only applies to hockey? If I'm not mistaken, the Blues vintage 3rd jersey and the Jets light blue jerseys on paper are a different color (albeit only slightly different) but the actual jerseys are the exact same color

True, but if these teams use the exact same shade, it's not unreasonable to suspect that they receive the exact same color pants, only with different stripes.

the user formerly known as cdclt

4 minutes ago, QCS said:

True, but if these teams use the exact same shade, it's not unreasonable to suspect that they receive the exact same color pants, only with different stripes.

Oh sorry I didn't mean specifically the Packers/Steelers/Chargers' gold but just in general. I have no doubt in this case they use the same exact shade of yellow but then again, don't the Packers use a different jersey manufacturer than Nike? What about the pants, who makes them?

33 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Oh sorry I didn't mean specifically the Packers/Steelers/Chargers' gold but just in general. I have no doubt in this case they use the same exact shade of yellow but then again, don't the Packers use a different jersey manufacturer than Nike? What about the pants, who makes them?

That's fair, but I'm pretty sure all the pants are made from the same material, which I think is made by Nike (not 100% sure, however). The Packers are the only team that haven't updated their template so it's possible their pants are different but I'd imagine in general teams that have the same color (like the many teams using black) probably have the same pants/jersey/whatever only with team-specific striping/decals.

the user formerly known as cdclt

43 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

That certainly could be true...don't know. The NHL only provides Pantone values; the textile/thread/twiil/other equipment color matches are up to the manufacturers.

A few years back, I did assist the NHL with standardizing the official digital/print reproduction document, but it doesn't provide the other specs.

On 1/30/2021 at 7:37 PM, colortv said:

The Rams yellow pants look a lot better on field to me than the Chargers, something about the Chargers looks washed out:

I’m a little late to this conversation, but looking at those videos I vastly prefer the Chargers’ shade of athletic gold compared to the Rams, which appears more like a highlighter yellow, to me. 

The thing is, both teams’ shades of yellow are named after the sun (“Sunshine Gold” for the Chargers and “Sol” for the Rams), but only the Chargers’ gold really evokes that warm California sunshine feeling for me.

The Rams on the other hand, in steering towards a more true yellow, literally and figuratively moves away from that “warmness” that athletic gold has. That’s one of the biggest things that feels like it’s missing to me compared to the throwback set. 

I honestly don’t mind the gradient numbers, so if the Rams filled in the segments of the horn and went with a truer athletic gold, I think they would have a really nice home set, in all honesty. It is wild how much a difference minor details like that can make.

Also, I forgot to mention it but the only time the Rams’ yellow looks like highlighter to me is on the pants. The yellow they went with actually looks really nice in digital applications and on the helmet and jersey. To me the mismatch the pants have seems to be a manufacturing problem more-so than a deliberate design decision. 

Archived