Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

fixed the Chargers script                                      

"On the fifth year, they will rise again"    

Posted Images

On 1/28/2021 at 8:11 AM, BBTV said:

 

Not stymied, but if they replicate the wordmark or a logo, there's more of a legal case against them.  Anyone can make a black jersey with yellow strips and white numbers and sell it as "Pittsburgh (independent) Football Jersey", but once they put the patch on, it's illegal.  Same with collar wordmarks.  The argument against that is that some teams, like the Eagles, have both sleeve logos and collar wordmark, so I'd assume that's just a style thing.

Just getting through this. I can't possibly say anything about the Rams uniforms that hasn't already been said, so I won't. But....

 

Do you have anything to support this? Again, this looks like one of those things that's trotted out to support an opinion, but with no legal justification.

Logically? Sure, if you've counterfeited more things on a jersey it might be easier to prove that it's counterfeited. But from my reasonable standpoint, it you made a jersey that looked like the Steelers without a chest patch, it's still a Steelers jersey.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Just getting through this. I can't possibly say anything about the Rams uniforms that hasn't already been said, so I won't. But....

 

Do you have anything to support this? Again, this looks like one of those things that's trotted out to support an opinion, but with no legal justification.

Logically? Sure, if you've counterfeited more things on a jersey it might be easier to prove that it's counterfeited. But from my reasonable standpoint, it you made a jersey that looked like the Steelers without a chest patch, it's still a Steelers jersey.


First, I’m not a lawyer, but it just makes sense to me (though sense and the law are not necessarily the same thing). Let’s use the Raiders as an example. You can certainly buy plain white jerseys with non-proprietary block number fonts that aren’t “Raiders” jerseys, but... yeah they are. I’m not sure if one can trademark something where every element is in the public domain. Now if they put the NFL logo on it? Different story. 
 

The Steelers jersey uses a common font and a standard striping pattern. Maybe they could trademark it so that if some other team (arena or something) set up shop in Pittsburgh and adopted those jerseys then maybe the Steelers could argue that they own black and yellow for pro football in Pittsburgh, but I’m not sure what law a counterfeiter would be breaking if they used things that are free and unlicensed to make a relatively-generic jersey for sale. Again - once they use an official logo, that changes the story. 
 

I have no proof to support my theory so it could be totally wrong, it just seems logical to me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BBTV said:


First, I’m not a lawyer, but it just makes sense to me (though sense and the law are not necessarily the same thing). Let’s use the Raiders as an example. You can certainly buy plain white jerseys with non-proprietary block number fonts that aren’t “Raiders” jerseys, but... yeah they are. I’m not sure if one can trademark something where every element is in the public domain. Now if they put the NFL logo on it? Different story. 
 

The Steelers jersey uses a common font and a standard striping pattern. Maybe they could trademark it so that if some other team (arena or something) set up shop in Pittsburgh and adopted those jerseys then maybe the Steelers could argue that they own black and yellow for pro football in Pittsburgh, but I’m not sure what law a counterfeiter would be breaking if they used things that are free and unlicensed to make a relatively-generic jersey for sale. Again - once they use an official logo, that changes the story. 
 

I have no proof to support my theory so it could be totally wrong, it just seems logical to me. 

Yup - I agree with all of that. Just curious if there was something *more* to it. 

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BBTV said:

First, I’m not a lawyer, but it just makes sense to me (though sense and the law are not necessarily the same thing). Let’s use the Raiders as an example. You can certainly buy plain white jerseys with non-proprietary block number fonts that aren’t “Raiders” jerseys, but... yeah they are. I’m not sure if one can trademark something where every element is in the public domain. Now if they put the NFL logo on it? Different story. 
 

The Steelers jersey uses a common font and a standard striping pattern. Maybe they could trademark it so that if some other team (arena or something) set up shop in Pittsburgh and adopted those jerseys then maybe the Steelers could argue that they own black and yellow for pro football in Pittsburgh, but I’m not sure what law a counterfeiter would be breaking if they used things that are free and unlicensed to make a relatively-generic jersey for sale. Again - once they use an official logo, that changes the story. 
 

I have no proof to support my theory so it could be totally wrong, it just seems logical to me. 

 

That makes sense, but given how easy it is to find counterfeit jerseys that feature team wordmarks and logos, including league logos, I'm not sure how much of a deterrent those actually are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

 

That makes sense, but given how easy it is to find counterfeit jerseys that feature team wordmarks and logos, including league logos, I'm not sure how much of a deterrent those actually are.

Those are made by Chinese companies where IP law doesn’t exist. You wouldn’t see American companies doing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, colortv said:

 

 

A helmet as the logo would be the lamest thing IMO.

There are folks in Cleveland, Ohio who would like to request a conversation with you, @colortv.

Besides that, would you rather have a helmet with the Rams' signature horns on it, or an "LA" (from a team that spent 17 years in the midwest) with a gradient horn crammed into the "A"?

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The logos aren't good, but they're better than the uniforms.

 

As much as I loathe their uniforms, their logos are absolutely cringeworthy...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

There are folks in Cleveland, Ohio who would like to request a conversation with you, @colortv.

Besides that, would you rather have a helmet with the Rams' signature horns on it, or an "LA" (from a team that spent 17 years in the midwest) with a gradient horn crammed into the "A"?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

:censored:, I hate that stupid name tag. What was wrong with just having the word "RAMS" above the number? That's what everybody else does.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • IceCap locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.