OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, kroywen said:

To me, the answer is simple:

Philip-Rivers-440x500.jpg

ap_49ers_rams_football_680137641.jpg?w=1

They're very different looks, with two different shades of blue and two different shades of gold. Different helmet colors, different pant colors, different number colors. They'll be sufficiently differentiated while wearing traditional (and appealing) looks.

Agree 100% but slight tweaks for the Rams:

- Just use one, single, blue stripe on the pants

- Remove the yellow on the collar

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

Agreed on both points. I've always wanted the Rams to do either that, or to use white numerals while maintaining the existing pant stripes (and gold NOBs). But removing white from the pant stripes is the less radical move, and would bring perfect color balance to the uniform.

2 hours ago, kroywen said:

Agreed on both points. I've always wanted the Rams to do either that, or to use white numerals while maintaining the existing pant stripes (and gold NOBs). But removing white from the pant stripes is the less radical move, and would bring perfect color balance to the uniform.

Gotta disagree; I love the white pants stripe.  Without it, the blue/yellow would be too much; anymore and the whole feel of the uniform would change.

41 minutes ago, swilson160 said:

Gotta disagree; I love the white pants stripe.  Without it, the blue/yellow would be too much; anymore and the whole feel of the uniform would change.

White stripe is just so out of place. Trojans have basically the same look sans the white stripe and their look is solid. One stripe would be better for them too though. 

USC-Football.jpg

To be honest, I don't know that I can form an honest opinion on the Rams' white horns from last night just yet. The set didn't look good, but only because that helmet was paired with the wrong uniform; it really wasn't the fault of the helmet's design or composition on its own. It's easy honestly for me to look at it and think, "nope, those horns need gold", but I want to see this helmet have a shot with a (current-cut) uniform set that matches it before I judge it fully. Whether that ever does happen or not, I'm not sure. But I hope that, even as a one-off or alternate, we do get to see it have a true, cohesive shot. 

I'm in the camp that, while not in my opinion the ideal Rams uniform, that the Fearsome Foursome uniform is a very nice and clean uniform. It is one of those examples, like the Colts or Jets, that show simple "one color and white" uniforms can work well.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

13 hours ago, kroywen said:

To me, the answer is simple:

Philip-Rivers-440x500.jpg

ap_49ers_rams_football_680137641.jpg?w=1

They're very different looks, with two different shades of blue and two different shades of gold. Different helmet colors, different pant colors, different number colors. They'll be sufficiently differentiated while wearing traditional (and appealing) looks.

I agree that this combo is the best each team has ever looked and the logical solution. While both are awful franchises, the possibility exists the Rams will bring back something similar to this set (although it'll likely be Nikefied in a hugely detrimental way). However, we know that the Chargers are intent on complementing their garbage organization with garbage uniforms. And the last decade has seen them pissing off San Diego fans who wanted a return to that classic set above. Unlike with the Rams, there were no groundswell of support for the Chargers to move back and restore the classic look that fans watched for years. The Chargers were only there for a year, it was 50 years ago, and they didn't even have color TVs, so very few people accurately saw what the team looked like. Now that they could be moving to LA and abandoning probably 95% of their fanbase, there's no reason at all for Spanos to switch back to that set. They'll probably change to something else modern, but keep the navy and keep looking terrible.

10 hours ago, hawk36 said:

1. Hell no. The solution is to incorporate white into the jerseys, not to remove it from the pants.

2. That goes without saying.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Rams already have white incorporated into their jerseys. 

joe_namath3-jpg.9741

The balance is pretty much perfect - a touch of white on the jerseys, a little on the pants, the low white socks, and all the straps put a bit of white on the helmets.  

Adding something stupid like white outlines to the numbers would upset the balance and ruin the look. 

8 hours ago, TheOldRoman said:

I agree that this combo is the best each team has ever looked and the logical solution. While both are awful franchises, the possibility exists the Rams will bring back something similar to this set (although it'll likely be Nikefied in a hugely detrimental way). However, we know that the Chargers are intent on complementing their garbage organization with garbage uniforms. And the last decade has seen them pissing off San Diego fans who wanted a return to that classic set above. Unlike with the Rams, there were no groundswell of support for the Chargers to move back and restore the classic look that fans watched for years. The Chargers were only there for a year, it was 50 years ago, and they didn't even have color TVs, so very few people accurately saw what the team looked like. Now that they could be moving to LA and abandoning probably 95% of their fanbase, there's no reason at all for Spanos to switch back to that set. They'll probably change to something else modern, but keep the navy and keep looking terrible.

Spanos seems attached to the navy, for some reason. I'm sure Nike will take the Chargers' move as a chance to do something outlandish and "modern," with navy as the primary color, of course. It's disappointing, but seems fairly inevitable.

2 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

I've always felt that if Spanos really wanted to stick it to San Diego, he'd make the powder blue alt:

image.jpeg

(which I think is actually superior to the throwback)

...the primary jersey in LA and now that the divorce has gotten messy, hopefully Spanos gets petty.

Uggg no. That set is awful. The navy is unnecessary. The number font is custom for the sake of having a custom font. The bolt placement is all wrong. 

Ideally they'd go straight throwback and burn everything involved with the current look, but making good choices isn't how Dean rolls.   

2 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

Is there any reason to think that if the Chargers were to bring back the throwbacks, that the manufacturers wouldn´t cut the shoulder bolts off like they have with the Colts stripes?

The shoulder bolt stripes have remained intact on the most recent iteration of the throwbacks. 

13 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The shoulder bolt stripes have remained intact on the most recent iteration of the throwbacks. 

But they're throwbacks (and I can't actually remember the Chargers wore them in a game). To put it another way, if they can get it right for Chargers throwbacks, why can't the get it right for the Colts or Jets?

Actually, you can buy a Faulk throwback on Colts.com and the stripes are right on it.

5 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

But they're throwbacks (and I can't actually remember the Chargers wore them in a game). To put it another way, if they can get it right for Chargers throwbacks, why can't the get it right for the Colts or Jets?

We know Nike can do full over the shoulder stripes. Check out LSU.

So why haven't the Jets and Colts fixed theirs? The teams don't care enough to raise the issue.

14 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

And Spanos will? 

Not saying he would. 

But again. The most recent use of the throwbacks (the AFL 50th Anniversary season) kept the shoulder loops intact. 

If that's the source material for Nike to work on for creating full-time throwbacks?  I suspect it would work.

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The Rams already have white incorporated into their jerseys. 

joe_namath3-jpg.9741

The balance is pretty much perfect - a touch of white on the jerseys, a little on the pants, the low white socks, and all the straps put a bit of white on the helmets.  

Adding something stupid like white outlines to the numbers would upset the balance and ruin the look. 

I think there is a problem when the only way the uniform looks good/balanced is from the back. 

Archived