Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

Eh, I can see that, but I think it's such a minor problem that it's not worth addressing. 

Even the amount of white on their current jerseys is way too much. All they need is a touch, and it doesn't bother me at all that they added it to the back.  After all, you can't see the helmet white from the back.  So it maintains a certain balance this way. 

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they reconstituted the old uniform elements in the current jersey template, changed the colors, but went to single-layer yellow numbers on royal blue, that'd be fine by me. The horns on the sleeves don't work anymore and were kind of gilding the lily in the first place -- horns on the head, I get, but the arms?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just stick a solid white "Rams" wordmark under the collar if you need to see some white on the front.

Not that it matters. The Rams have hinted that the 2019 overhaul will use the classic colours with a new design. I would guess the 2019 blue jerseys will have white number outlines at the very least, so the balance won't be an issue.

9 minutes ago, the admiral said:

If they reconstituted the old uniform elements in the current jersey template, changed the colors, but went to single-layer yellow numbers on royal blue, that'd be fine by me. The horns on the sleeves don't work anymore and were kind of gilding the lily in the first place -- horns on the head, I get, but the arms?

I'm with you.  I've never liked the shoulder horns.  Their helmet is so literal, and works so well being literal, the jersey shouldn't be quite so dissonant. 

Remember how the 2000 Rams had the new colors and uniforms but still used block numbers?

655087_display_image.jpg?1289317059

Yeah, do that again. More or less take that uniform and make it royal blue and athletic gold.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Continuing the discussion on the Chargers lighting bolt shoulder loops (as well as the Colts and Jets)...Nike has already shown the ability to sublimate the hell out of their more recent templates, so why they can't just sublimate some perfect full loops is beyond me.

gettyimages-498965044.jpg

16.09.10.emg_.KD_.UOFB_.vsVirgnina-3.jpg

oregon-rad-4.png

12 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The Rams already have white incorporated into their jerseys. 

joe_namath3-jpg.9741

The balance is pretty much perfect - a touch of white on the jerseys, a little on the pants, the low white socks, and all the straps put a bit of white on the helmets.  

Adding something stupid like white outlines to the numbers would upset the balance and ruin the look. 

I know, and I agree it's not a problem. But I've said before that set would look just as good, or even better, if the numbers were changed to white with the horns staying yellow.

5 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Just stick a solid white "Rams" wordmark under the collar if you need to see some white on the front.

Not that it matters. The Rams have hinted that the 2019 overhaul will use the classic colours with a new design. I would guess the 2019 blue jerseys will have white number outlines at the very least, so the balance won't be an issue.

I don't know if the next set will have white outlines considering recent trends. The Vikings uniform would have looked great with yellow outlines, but they went single color on both jerseys. And while I think outlines are almost always better, I feel that the balance of thick yellow sleeve horns with white numbers would work just fine. Or maybe they do something like the current stripes, with white and yellow both on the stripe/horn. In that case, they probably would need a white outline to balance it out.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

People don't have ankles and feet from the front?

Right but I was referring just to the jersey. That being said, the white socks are becoming less and less used in place of just a solid color (under armor type deal). Not sure why people are tied to the random white stripe on the pants. Team had a single blue one for years for a great look. 

I don't why a full rebrand is need as they started as the L.A. Chargers in 1960 so why not come full circle. If they want to tinker with their uniforms that's okay but the current logo and name need no changing.

So if I'm reading this right... not only do they want to give up a perfectly serviceable market to play 2nd fiddle to the Rams, now they wanna ditch a nearly-60 year old identity for no good reason and risk being even less relevant & remembered than they are right now? (Hey! There's a name idea! The Los Angeles Football Clippers! :P)

Seriously though, it feels like just when you think Spanos and the Chargers couldn't be anymore stupid... they prove you wrong. I actually feel sorry for any Charger fans, whether they live in SD, LA or anywhere else. Y'all deserve a better-run team than this.

What's the source of this "report"? 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If the do move and rebrand, I hope they keep the history in San Diego. The colors and identity have history. 

Look what happened with the Oilers. Team keeps identity, moves to new city to rebrand a year later. Houston gets a new team w/bad branding. Let's not make this mistake again. 

Archived