Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Therefore, the team should definitely not dump its identity and its history.  Instead, it should embrace being a kind of regional team, albeit for a relatively small region.

SoCal Chargers

California Chargers

California Chargers of Los Angeles

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

36 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

If the Chargers throw away nearly 60 years worth of history, can the NFL also move the team to the castaway division AKA the NFC West? I want the Seahawks to be back in the AFC.

No way CBS allows that. They'd want an AFC team in LA for TV reasons, since Fox has an NFC team there.

32 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

If the Chargers throw away nearly 60 years worth of history, can the NFL also move the team to the castaway division AKA the NFC West? I want the Seahawks to be back in the AFC.

I'd have to imagine that the NFL would greatly prefer to have one AFC team and one NFC team in Los Angeles, rather than two NFC teams. I remember that being a topic of discussion when there was talk of the Raiders and Chargers moving to Carson together.

From a TV perspective, it's easier to have one team in each conference, so that CBS and FOX can both share equally in the LA market. It would also allow the possibility for some people to be fans of both teams, since they wouldn't be divisional rivals. Not that I think that would happen much, but I would guess that you would see some fans follow both teams to some degree, even if they're only a fan of one. That certainly seems to be the case with some New Yorkers.

8 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The interesting thing about this move is that the team will remain accessible to San Diego fans.        

The Chargers will be about two hours away from San Diego by car, a trip whose length is by no means prohibitive.  Furthermore, the local papers will surely continue to cover the team with beat reporters, and the sports talk radio will still make the team a main topic.

The Chargers already have a radio network that covers the whole vast zone of Southern California, including L.A.  That won't change (though they might not keep their Las Vegas station if the Raiders announce a move there).

So, for the vast majority of Charger fans -- who are not season-ticket holders but who follow the team by television, radio, and the newspapers -- there will be no difference at all after the team's move to Los Angeles.  Therefore, the team should definitely not dump its identity and its history.  Instead, it should embrace being a kind of regional team, albeit for a relatively small region.  

After all, if San Diego had never had teams in the various leagues, then fans in that city would consider Los Angeles teams as their home teams.

This is why it seems to make sense to keep the name and branding the same to me.  Sure, some San Diego natives will be upset, but it's going to be the logical team to follow.  

And as much as I hate the Browns deal, the one thing that made it OK(ish) was the guarantee that Cleveland would be getting a team again. I really, really, don't want to see the Chargers history go dormant without a guaranteed return.  I tend to doubt San Diego will get another team.  And if they do, will be be another relocated team (e.g., Jacksonville) that will have its history die?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

10 hours ago, MBurmy said:

And now that Bud Adams is in the grave, the Texans execs should reach out to the Titans to work out a Charlotte Hornets-style deal for the Houston Oilers' return.

The opportunity for the Oilers identity and history to come back home passed after the Texans name was chosen. While I don't like the identity as much as the Oilers, the Texans name has been around for 15 seasons now. The Oilers haven't played in Houston in 20 years. There's an entire generation of people here that have zero emotional ties to the Oilers. As much as I wish we got to keep our history and retired uniforms, its probably best that the Oilers name stays buried with Bud. The current owner probably likes that the Texans are HIS team and would probably prefer that over owning Bud Adams legacy.

I love the name Chargers. If they want a new logo that's fine. I wouldn't mind if they went back to the old Horse logo they had when they were originally the LA Chargers. But not the name. Come on now.

I swear if they change the name I'm going to be so mad I'll...ummm..I'll. ...

I know. I'll randomly attack any blimp that I see. There that would get my point across.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8544/8631423045_c61d05f988_b.jpg

The Catch of the Day!

I think the Chargers moving to LA is extremely stupid but I can understand why they would want to completely rebrand if they do move to Los Angeles. 

The Rams are already there and if they go back to their original colors, which they probably will at some point, they will have a very similar color scheme to the Chargers. In order to avoid people getting confused they should probably aim to be as different from the Los Angeles Rams as much as possible. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

15 hours ago, Esco said:

FB_IMG_1482108215519.jpg

Your thread title says 'when'; the article says 'if'. There's a significant difference in implication there. 

---

I like UCLA's colors.  Powder blue and old gold. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Interesting Rams blue-white logo on the NFL Shop of all things... is it possible they're changing next year in the wake of the Chargers/whatever name they'll call themselves coming to town, to differentiate from them? I personally dislike the bland blue-white look, but I know the majority here are fans of the look. IMG_0771.PNG

ExJworW.png

15 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Although it would stink to lose the Chargers brand from the NFL, I like this from the standpoint of new city new team. Start fresh. 

Given the damage they've done to the Chargers brand in San Diego (in that it's mud here) with few if any fans following them north next year I'm not shocked at this news. I mean it was an open secret that there were few LA based Chargers fans as well. This seems a tacit acknowledgement of that reality, and that they don't think they can keep much if any of the San Diego fan base after a move to another (oft considered hostile to San Diego) market. Plus it throws the NFL fans in San Diego a bone that at least they'll get to keep 55 years history in the event the NFL ever comes back this way again.

14 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Thanks - was going to ask the same thing.  B/R doesn't count in my mind.

Vincent Bonsignore. According to him he's got multiple sources report this to him from inside the team and league.

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

This is why it seems to make sense to keep the name and branding the same to me.  Sure, some San Diego natives will be upset, but it's going to be the logical team to follow.  

And as much as I hate the Browns deal, the one thing that made it OK(ish) was the guarantee that Cleveland would be getting a team again. I really, really, don't want to see the Chargers history go dormant without a guaranteed return.  I tend to doubt San Diego will get another team.  And if they do, will be be another relocated team (e.g., Jacksonville) that will have its history die?

Nothing logical about fandom my friend. Two buddies of mine are San Diego native lifelong diehard Chargers fans since they knew what football was (35 and 47 years respectively). The former is planning to become a Las Vegas Raiders fan if that team moves to Vegas (his rationale being they'll be the closest non-LA team). The latter has already started following the Seahawks and will burn his Bolts gear and become a neon junkie once the move is complete (as he lived a few years in Seattle and has tenuous ties to that town). I've only met a handful of non-San Diego based Chargers fans who plan on sticking with the team if they move north to another market in LA.

A preview of this move is to look at how many San Diegans remained Clippers fans when they moved north. Yes the Clippers were only here a handful of years but the principle is the same (the length of time the Bolts were in SD might get them a few fans from San Diego where the Clippers got none, but it won't be a significant amount). San Diego has never had a very friendly relationship with Los Angeles when sports are involved.

1 hour ago, Chawls said:

Your thread title says 'when'; the article says 'if'. There's a significant difference in implication there. 

---

I like UCLA's colors.  Powder blue and old gold. 

If is still the appropriate word, but just barely. Spanos had said he wasn't going to say anything until season's end, yet was quoted by CBS as saying yesterday he's leaning LA. And that stance has been independently verified since then by NFL sources privy to last week's owners meetings. Couple that with the Chargers execs reportedly looking for homes in LA, the Chargers beginning work on an OC based training complex, and the team leasing space in downtown LA for team offices and the writing is on the wall.

4 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

Anyone have any ideas for a new LA based team and uniform? The rumors seem to be that the team will be soliciting fans for ideas. Might be a chance for someone from sportslogos.net to make some history.

10 hours ago, 29texan said:

Not to get off topic, but what is it with the "Texans" hate? Why does THAT have to be "bad branding"? 

Texans is a derivative and boring name. It's akin to naming your team the "People."  The "Houston" part already tells us they're from Texas, we get it.   They might as well just be Houston FC. 

Archived