Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

1 hour ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I personally dislike the bland blue-white look, but I know the majority here are fans of the look. 

I don't think that's the case at all.  I see more posts saying that everybody else likes this look than I do posts of people saying they like it.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

Texans is a derivative and boring name. It's akin to naming your team the "People."  The "Houston" part already tells us they're from Texas, we get it.   They might as well just be Houston FC. 

It is a Texas thing.  After all, the current Houston Texans are the fifth professional football team with that name . . . two in Dallas (NFL, AFL), two in Houston (WFL, NFL), one in San Antonio (CFL).

Yes, I know there were ABA and WFL teams named the Floridians and the Hawaiians.  Also, there are/have been Canadiens and Canadians in hockey and minor league baseball (and multiple Americans along the way in various sports).  However, I'm fairly certain there is no other state where it is even considered within the realm of possibility to effectively name a team "Citizens of Our Fine State."  I live in no fear of an sudden onslaught of teams named Marylanders, Minnesotans, Oregonians or Michiganders.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I'm a fan of the Chargers. I'll root for the Chargers if they play in San Diego, Los Angeles, or Sioux Falls. I'm not going to root for them if they ditch the Chargers name though. I'm out if they go down that route.

Just now, Ice_Cap said:

I'm a fan of the Chargers. I'll root for the Chargers if they play in San Diego, Los Angeles, or Sioux Falls. I'm not going to root for them if they ditch the Chargers name though. I'm out if they go down that route.

Problem is you're not the Chargers fans they're worried about. You'll still watch the NFL regardless and wouldn't have been attending games regardless. Their bigger concern is San Diego and Los Angeles based fans. The fans they could potentially draw to a stadium. Since most Chargers fans in those two regions are in San Diego, and since most won't make the drive up to LA to attend games they're going to have to draw LA based fans. And they can better do that by having a new identity based on LA that LA fans help craft rather than try to shoehorn another city's identity into LA after 60 years.

Just now, bosrs1 said:

Problem is you're not the Chargers fans they're worried about. You'll still watch the NFL regardless and wouldn't have been attending games regardless. Their bigger concern is San Diego and Los Angeles based fans. The fans they could potentially draw to a stadium. Since most Chargers fans in those two regions are in San Diego, and since most won't make the drive up to LA to attend games they're going to have to draw LA based fans. And they can better do that by having a new identity based on LA that LA fans help craft rather than try to shoehorn another city's identity into LA after 60 years.

I get it, to a point. Though I would argue that a brand with as much history as the Chargers' does, in the country's most popular league, won't be a millstone around the team's neck when it comes to drawing fans.

Still doesn't change my perspective though. Hey Arizona Cardinals. What's up?

Wonder what colors they would consider-

Cant use any of the following for obvious reasons-

Red/Yellow

Blue/Orange

Black

Silver

Blue/Yellow

I had read an article stating that the Rams would have HQ in Los Angeles so maybe the blue/white is to go the Dodgers route? Also it said Chargers would be based in Orange County and tackle that side of the market. Wonder if they would go Red like the Angels or Orange for Ducks

I hate when teams in the same league share a stadium (Lakers/Clippers, Giants/Jets, potentially Rams/Chargers). I'm of the mindset that a team should be representative of an area, especially somewhere like New York where there's such a geographical divide. For example, I've always thought of the Giants to be the Manhattan/Bronx team and the Jets to be a Queens/Brooklyn team. I have no idea why, I just do. And they both play in the same stadium in Jersey, lol. 

I realize it's much more financially sound, especially with football.

sig.png

7 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I hate when teams in the same league share a stadium (Lakers/Clippers, Giants/Jets, potentially Rams/Chargers). I'm of the mindset that a team should be representative of an area, especially somewhere like New York where there's such a geographical divide. For example, I've always thought of the Giants to be the Manhattan/Bronx team and the Jets to be a Queens/Brooklyn team. I have no idea why, I just do. And they both play in the same stadium in Jersey, lol. 

I realize it's much more financially sound, especially with football.

Probably because they used to be Bronx/Manhattan and Queens based teams. That has carried on over time despite both having moved to New Jersey.

21 minutes ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

I think it'd be a smart move. Even though the Rams have a history in LA, it's hard identifying them with the city because their brand is exactly as it was a year ago.

That's why you change your uniforms. Ditching 57 years of Chargers history (even though most of it came in San Diego) is a step too far in my book. Of course, I've gathered that Dean Spanos isn't too bright...

I'm a lifelong born and raised San Diego Charger fan. Hate to see them leave. But if they asked my opinion on the move to LA I'd say:

1. Keep the name

2. Re-brand. Emphasize that you are Los Angels, maybe even more than Chargers. Look at the retro Los Angeles Chargers shield logo.

3. Explore other possible colors that may resonate more with LA, but don't immediately ditch the existing colors. New colors should be better. If not, keep the existing.

Key, to me, is to show that you are not the San Diego Chargers playing in Los Angeles (ie. Rams), but you are the LOS ANGELES Chargers. The biggest mistake the Rams made, and one that has left the door open for the Chargers, is them sticking to the St. Louis look. That could really hurt them and already has this season. 

17 hours ago, ~Bear said:

If the do move and rebrand, I hope they keep the history in San Diego. The colors and identity have history. 

Look what happened with the Oilers. Team keeps identity, moves to new city to rebrand a year later. Houston gets a new team w/bad branding. Let's not make this mistake again. 

I don't think the Texans have a bad brand.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

9 hours ago, daveindc said:

Unless those options involve "the Spanoses sell the damn team" I suspect this is a futile effort.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Bad name, yes.  But their uniform is pretty good until they start trying to match the jersey and pants.

I loved the logo when it was unveiled but it's now become very dated in my mind. Still decent but an update to a more timeless logo would be nice. And, yes, please match the stripes already!

Not every 2nd team is destined to be the Clippers.  

Angels, Ducks, UCLA/USC, & the Clippers spent enough time playing out of a different building.  

While I think it's sad San Diego is losing the Chargers, why can't LA just treat the Rams & them as NYC/NJ treat the Giants & Jets.  So what if the Giants are considered Manhattan & NJ's team, the Jets aren't exactly floundering for fan support.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

The Texans name is pitiful. For a modern team, they should have gone with a more creative name. (The 3 names they picked as finalists were uncreative and redundant, so management screwed that up.)

The uniforms are okay, but are dated. The logo is a bright spot and the strong part of the branding. With the name and colors the designer did a good job. 

Compared to the Oilers, the Texans branding is weak.

7 hours ago, Nyk33 said:

I think the Chargers moving to LA is extremely stupid but I can understand why they would want to completely rebrand if they do move to Los Angeles. 

The Rams are already there and if they go back to their original colors, which they probably will at some point, they will have a very similar color scheme to the Chargers. In order to avoid people getting confused they should probably aim to be as different from the Los Angeles Rams as much as possible. 

To me this argument to change makes no sense the colors would be close but no way anyone mistakes the two teams!

Archived