Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

50 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

Not every 2nd team is destined to be the Clippers.  

Angels, Ducks, UCLA/USC, & the Clippers spent enough time playing out of a different building.  

While I think it's sad San Diego is losing the Chargers, why can't LA just treat the Rams & them as NYC/NJ treat the Giants & Jets.  So what if the Giants are considered Manhattan & NJ's team, the Jets aren't exactly floundering for fan support.

The Angels, Ducks, USC/UCLA all play in their own stadiums and play to different sub markets within the overall LA market (particularly the Ducks and Angels). The Clippers and Lakers are not nearly as differentiated other than by the Clipper's historic futility and the Lakers long time success. The Rams and Chargers will be similarly only differentiated by the Rams 50 years as LA's team and the Chargers being a San Diego cast off.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raiders moved 2 times and did not change name.

Rams moved 2 times and did not change name.

Cards moved one time and did  not change name.

Colts moved one time and did not change name.

Okay, the Browns moved and changed name,

I'm dead sure the Chargers will heep their super name. Yes, recolor the whole thing, heck, why not a new logo?

I'd love to see something, say dark grey and gold or such, there so many possibilities with the name Chargers.

But reason will prevail and the Chargers will keep their name.

7 minutes ago, bleuet said:

I'm dead sure the Chargers will heep their super name. Yes, recolor the whole thing, heck, why not a new logo?

I'd love to see something, say dark grey and gold or such, there so many possibilities with the name Chargers.

The Cardinals moved twice. They started out in Chicago.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

12 minutes ago, bleuet said:

Oilers moved and changed name shortly after move.

Browns moved and changed name (and left name/history behind)

It's not at all unprecedented for a team to dump the name when they move.

1 hour ago, bleuet said:

Just because it's happened in the past doesn't mean it will now. It's hard to disagree. The Rams are seen in town as the "legacy" team. So you need a new brand to contrast that. It's just business. I'm not happy that the Chargers identity will be gone either, but it just makes sense

6 hours ago, bowld said:

I had read an article stating that the Rams would have HQ in Los Angeles so maybe the blue/white is to go the Dodgers route? Also it said Chargers would be based in Orange County and tackle that side of the market. 

Where did you read that?  It doesn't make any sense.  The Chargers, like the Rams, would be based out of Inglewood.  On the west side of the city.  To try and create their "market" clear on the other side of town would be insane. 

Oh, wait.  Chargers. Yeah, I could see that. 

IF the Chargers do decide to make the move to LA, they should become the California Chargers as opposed to Los Angeles Chargers. If the team chose to change back to blue helmets, I'd support a yellow jersey and pants uniform. Yellow doesn't seem to pair right with white.

16 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Where did you read that?  It doesn't make any sense.  The Chargers, like the Rams, would be based out of Inglewood.  On the west side of the city.  To try and create their "market" clear on the other side of town would be insane. 

Oh, wait.  Chargers. Yeah, I could see that. 

You'll never be a poor man betting money on Dean Spanos to make the worst possible decision.

Keep the name, change the colors to grey and gold. Southern California fans love the yellow/gold, and the addition of grey distinguishes the Chargers from the Rams while showcasing that they're a "different" team. Seems like a good enough color scheme as Madden even uses it for an LA team. Use the beloved powder blue unis as alternates/throwbacks for the longtime/Southern California fans who converted from San Diego to LA.

Also it fits with the "charger" theme...(new logo is a dark grey cloud with a lighting bolt?)

IMG_3492.JPG

IMG_3493.PNG

22 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The interesting thing about this move is that the team will remain accessible to San Diego fans.        

The Chargers will be about two hours away from San Diego by car, a trip whose length is by no means prohibitive.  Furthermore, the local papers will surely continue to cover the team with beat reporters, and the sports talk radio will still make the team a main topic.

The Chargers already have a radio network that covers the whole vast zone of Southern California, including L.A.  That won't change (though they might not keep their Las Vegas station if the Raiders announce a move there).

So, for the vast majority of Charger fans -- who are not season-ticket holders but who follow the team by television, radio, and the newspapers -- there will be no difference at all after the team's move to Los Angeles.  Therefore, the team should definitely not dump its identity and its history.  Instead, it should embrace being a kind of regional team, albeit for a relatively small region.  

After all, if San Diego had never had teams in the various leagues, then fans in that city would consider Los Angeles teams as their home teams.

From what I've heard, San Diego sports fans hate LA.

An analogy would be if the Eagles moved to NY, would Philly fans root for the NY Eagles because they are only 2 hrs away?

15 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

If the Chargers throw away nearly 60 years worth of history, can the NFL also move the team to the castaway division AKA the NFC West? I want the Seahawks to be back in the AFC.

Always loved when the Seahawks were the 4:00pm NBC game on a Sunday afternoon.  The sight of the Kingdome lights bouncing off those awesome helmets was enough to make me watch.  To me, the NFC on CBS, the AFC on NBC and MNF on ABC will always be what's "normal".

59 minutes ago, TJSC said:

Keep the name, change the colors to grey and gold. Southern California fans love the yellow/gold, and the addition of grey distinguishes the Chargers from the Rams while showcasing that they're a "different" team. Seems like a good enough color scheme as Madden even uses it for an LA team. Use the beloved powder blue unis as alternates/throwbacks for the longtime/Southern California fans who converted from San Diego to LA.

Also it fits with the "charger" theme...(new logo is a dark grey cloud with a lighting bolt?)

IMG_3492.JPG

IMG_3493.PNG

Not sure if you're joking, but that's literally the worst thing I've ever seen. Nothing to inspire the fans like gray and yellow!

OldRomanSig2.jpg

4 hours ago, bleuet said:

When I first saw the dark gray and gold suggestion, I was "Meh".

1 hour ago, TJSC said:

IMG_3492.JPG

After seeing the photo of gray and yellow together, I love it.  Base the helmet on the one below and you've got a winner.  Pays tribute to the best era of the franchise while bringing a fresh look that's unique.

ed9d1388e6d9ea93a8c69a32504a965f.jpg

I know it'd have a snowball's chance in hell of happening, but if this year is the last we see of the San Diego Chargers...I'd love to see the resurrection of the LA Avengers.  Only LA team I've ever been willing to admit to liking.

Interesting that so many here think the Chargers brand is great.

Virtually everyone I've discussed it with in real life thinks it's dull and uninspiring.

Huh...I've always found it pretty iconic...you see lightning bolts, you can take a wild guess that it's the Chargers.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

1 hour ago, TheOldRoman said:

Not sure if you're joking, but that's literally the worst thing I've ever seen. Nothing to inspire the fans like gray and yellow!

At least it's better than Navy and Millenium Gold. ?

I see your reasoning though...

If the Chargers move and abandon their brand, can the Tampa Bay Lightning put bolts on their helmets? It'd work pretty well in hockey IMO

But I enjoy the Chargers logo and uniforms, I wouldn't call it iconic but it's in the better half of the teams in the league as a recognizable design.

I wonder if there's any chance they would go with something like the "Los Angeles Chargers of San Diego" like the Angels did.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

18 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I don't think that's the case at all.  I see more posts saying that everybody else likes this look than I do posts of people saying they like it.

There's not much to hate about a team that goes blue/white, green/white, red/white, etc. The problem is there's also not much to like IMO when another team in the league already has the same color scheme. My guess is that people generally recognize that it would look good, but not many actually *want* it.

Archived