MLB x NIKE, TAKE II

MJD7

jBmgJz5.png

Hello there.

I hope you all are doing alright during this uncertain time. To help maintain some sense of normalcy, I figured I'd go ahead and post some of the concepts I've been working on over the post few months, in anticipation of the (hopefully) soon to return MLB season. What this is for me is essentially an attempt to start fresh in my take of how Major League Baseball should look, while building off of what I had before. What I hope to achieve here is a proper balance, between innovation and being willing to try new ideas, and also a sense of upholding the traditional looks that baseball fans hold so dear. Without further ado, let's get right into it and address the parameters I operated under this time around:

• The logo sets are going to be posted in a vertical format, which is hopefully more befitting to mobile devices.
  • Each team will have a maximum of 6 jerseys total (home, away, two alternates, a newly-dubbed "Cooperstown Collection" jersey, which I'll get to in a second, and a Spring Training jersey). I didn't really set a specific max on caps, but I don't believe any team has more than 4 total.
  • The away jerseys will mostly stay gray for now, I've tried to go outside the box with both monochrome and color-tinted looks, but this series will try to more effectively tweak the jerseys that are already there.
  • As it was in my previous Nike series, each team will have a fauxback uniform that is now called the "Cooperstown Collection," which attempts to take a look from each team's past and integrate it as well as possible into the current set, be it integrating colors, logos, or uniform styles. Some will be closer to direct throwbacks than others will, it just depends on what works best for the team. I'd love to hear suggestions for additional ideas going forward as well, if you'd like to see a different throwback uniform that you think I should take inspiration from.
  • For the Spring Training sets, if the two uniforms clash as similar colors, the away team would normally just wear one of their other-colored regular alternate jerseys, with the Spring Training cap.
  • The template I'm using for this series will finally be updated, with a huge thanks to @SFGiants58 for allowing me to update my designs onto his template. I also took plenty of inspiration from his incredible concepts, and I'm grateful he also gave me some essential advice in the creation of this series. This series could not have been done without him, for sure. 

This time, I'll be going alphabetically straight through the league, starting with the Arizona Diamondbacks and ending with the Washington Nationals. I hope that we can all discuss our thoughts and enjoy this community we have together, even though we're mostly at home for the time being!

MLB x NIKE, TAKE II

American League East

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Tampa Bay Rays

Toronto Blue Jays

American League Central

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Kansas City Royals

Minnesota Twins

American League West

Houston Astros

Los Angeles Angels

Oakland Athletics

Seattle Mariners

Texas Rangers

National League East

Atlanta Braves

Miami Marlins

New York Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

National League Central

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Milwaukee Brewers

Pittsburgh Pirates

St. Louis Cardinals

National League West

Arizona Diamondbacks

Colorado Rockies

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

Stay safe everyone, and I hope you enjoy!

• Like 4

Here we go with the Arizona Diamondbacks!

Logos

This time around I decided to embrace turquoise in the scheme, and drop sand altogether. I also decided to embrace sedona red more than black, akin to the 2007-2015 uniforms, as the combination of red & turquoise results in what I feel is a very nice, Southwestern feel that I think helps Arizona stand out, while also harkening back to their original color scheme.

OegCwzE.png

Uniforms

As will likely be a theme for this series, I decided to keep things simple for Arizona. The jerseys follow the same basic template as their most recent update ahead of this season, but with sedona red taking more prominence over black in the wordmarks, numbers, and caps. This is most noticeable in the colors of the away wordmark being flipped, as well as the inclusion of the "A" logo on the home jersey. The sock stripes are inspired by @SFGiants58's most recent take on Arizona, as well as the socks the team wears in real life. A huge thanks to him for providing me with the number font, as well.

vPZ7sd9.png

The alternates flip the logos used on the home & away, with the innermost outline on the "Arizona" wordmark being filled in turquoise for better readability on the sedona red alt. I also kept turquoise out of the striping on the black alt, as I felt reserving the color helps it really stand out when used.

wsR19pJ.png

The Cooperstown Collection jersey harkens back to the purple, teal, & copper era for the Diamondbacks, with teal being replaced with the brighter turquoise for better contrast. The Spring Training jersey embraces this bright turquoise, along with the popular snake logo on the hat to switch things up. 

EjubleK.png

I'd love to hear what you think, the Braves will be up next!

• Like 22

Nice start!

The D'Backs set looks really solid, I think this is the colourway they should go for. I like the retro-modern approach you've used for the Cooperstown Collection, I think the idea is more interesting than what Nike planned.

I can't wait to see the 29 remaining designs!

• Like 3

Love the extra turquoise. Why they don’t use more of it IRL is anybody’s guess. 

On that note...I’d really like to see the road shirts and pants together be monochrome turquoise. Maybe sand could be reintroduced as a trim color for the elements that are already turquoise? I dunno, I just think that would be a fantastic, unique look that they could own. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2020 at 6:29 PM, coco1997 said:

Love the idea of a “Cooperstown Collection” alternate for each team, and it works really well for Arizona given the popularity of their original look and colors. 

Really digging the new template, too!

Thank you! It was definitely a perfect situation for Arizona, allowing them to pay tribute to the original colors on occasion.

On 3/25/2020 at 6:38 PM, Victormrey said:

Nice start!

The D'Backs set looks really solid, I think this is the colourway they should go for. I like the retro-modern approach you've used for the Cooperstown Collection, I think the idea is more interesting than what Nike planned.

I can't wait to see the 29 remaining designs!

Thank you very much!

On 3/26/2020 at 12:01 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Delightful!

Crisp, clean, bold. 

Thanks! That is definitely the goal, for sure.

19 hours ago, hallucinathan said:

Love how you didn't rely too much on the turquoise and just let it create that extra pop in all of them. The white set is very clean, I like it.

Not to contradict myself, but on the Spring Training set did you consider a turquoise brim on the hat?

Thank you! I agree, sometimes less is more when using such a bright color, at least in the main set.

I actually hadn't considered that before! Here's a look, side-by-side with the original:

eHqBv0d.png

I switched to black accents to match the cap better, which to be honest might be an improvement. I still think I like the original cap more, but I'd be happy with this too.

17 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Love the extra turquoise. Why they don’t use more of it IRL is anybody’s guess. 

On that note...I’d really like to see the road shirts and pants together be monochrome turquoise. Maybe sand could be reintroduced as a trim color for the elements that are already turquoise? I dunno, I just think that would be a fantastic, unique look that they could own. 

Although I think turquoise should be used in the primary scheme, I wouldn't want to run into the problem of using too much of it. Being such a bright color, it's best to use in moderation. That's why I was honestly hesitant to even make it the base color of the Spring Training jersey, and personally I don't think it would work as a monochrome road uniform.

Here's a look at sort of the *opposite* of what you were suggesting though, if the team decided to keep sand road uniforms. The left uses the actual shade of sand the team has, and the right is a more subdued version of it, which I definitely prefer.

cfGObp2.png

• Like 7

On 3/27/2020 at 1:26 PM, coco1997 said:

Small suggestion for the sand set: Flip the turquoise and black outlines on the numbers and scripts, since the turquoise bleeds into the sand a little. 

Here's a look, to be honest I'm not too much of a fan, as it muddles the wordmark a bit much for my liking.

yUAWkd6.png

On 3/28/2020 at 2:32 AM, TheMilkman said:

I love the idea of the Cooperstown collection! I can only imagine the great things you have planned for those! Those sand unis are gorgeous as well!

Thank you! I hope you'll enjoy following along!

• Like 1

And now we have the Atlanta Braves:

Logos

The "A" now becomes the primary logo. Beyond that, not much changes besides the removal of the tomahawk from the jerseys.

LuXxkry.png

Uniforms

Not many changes for the iconic Atlanta primaries, beyond the aforementioned removal of the tomahawk. The red-brimmed cap is restored to the road uniform, and an extra outline is added around the wordmarks for better readability.

hpE88Gt.png

The striping on the alternates now matches the primaries, with navy/red/navy. The wordmark on the navy alternate is now white with navy and red outlines, to better mimic the classic cap logo.

DphEkYi.png

The Cooperstown Collection uniform is a reinterpretation of the 70's throwbacks, with navy replacing royal. The Spring Training jersey is a navy top version.

oKRkBm4.png

Didn't want to mess with the Braves beyond a few minor tweaks! The Orioles will be up next.

• Like 15

I really like the way that road alternate turned out!

Using the single red soutache compliments the red outlining on the lettering without clashing harshly with the "A" on the cap. It's very subtle but undoubtedly effective.

I love little features like that. Some small detail that really ties a uniform together like a nice rug. 

The Big Lebowski Dude GIF by Working Title

• Like 3

Good concepts so far - the teal D-backs jersey is fantastic.

I do like bringing back the vertical arc NOB for the Braves...that always looked good. 

• Like 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 3/29/2020 at 11:09 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I really like the way that road alternate turned out!

Using the single red soutache compliments the red outlining on the lettering without clashing harshly with the "A" on the cap. It's very subtle but undoubtedly effective.

I love little features like that. Some small detail that really ties a uniform together like a nice rug. 

The Big Lebowski Dude GIF by Working Title

Thank you! I'm pretty happy with it too. The main goal was to not have the white and red touch, similar to how it is on the cap. That was the key to making it feel like signature "Braves," to me.

On 3/30/2020 at 10:03 AM, WSU151 said:

Good concepts so far - the teal D-backs jersey is fantastic.

I do like bringing back the vertical arc NOB for the Braves...that always looked good. 

Thanks! I agree, that's always felt like a signature aspect to their uniform.

On 3/30/2020 at 10:43 AM, coco1997 said:

I actually think the flipped outline colors on the D-Backs are an improvement, but different strokes, I guess.

The Braves also look great!

Thanks!

• Like 3

Moving on to the Baltimore Orioles!

Logos

No changes to the main logo set, besides flipping around some of the colors on the alternate jerseys.

Q0exMdw.png

Uniforms

The primary uniforms remain basically the same, as they're among some of my favorites in baseball. The striping on the sleeves & pants is just made a little bigger, and the sock stripe is recolored to be a little different from Boston and to better match the rest of the set.

hyfwcvL.png

The orange alternate now has a white wordmark, and the black alternate now has a white outline, to better differentiate from the other orange and black team in the league.

ZgwtiBT.png

The O's still get to have a black & orange uniform without any white, as the Cooperstown Collection throws back to the 1901 Orioles, which would eventually become the Yankees. The Spring Training jersey features the cartoon bird, along with the throwback orange front-panel cap

a3DUywV.png

And that's the Orioles! The Red Sox will be up next!

• Like 13

On 4/2/2020 at 9:36 AM, bcon_731 said:

@MJD7 great job! that dbacks set is great, especially those teal unis! How you ever seen any dbacks wordmarks in the font of their "A" cap? Not being sarcastic or anything just curious, Ive never seen it but they've always used it. 

Thanks! I’ve never seen a wordmark based off of the “A” in their cap, as to be honest I’m not sure it would be possible.

On 4/2/2020 at 12:07 PM, jaytavo305 said:

The Orioles look really sharp, I have no complaints so far, great work

Thanks!

I’ll be posting the Red Sox later today.