MLB x NIKE, TAKE II

MJD7

On 7/21/2020 at 3:29 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I like this better given the blue brim is used. If the cap was all red and had a plain white P, I'd like the white outline better. 

I suppose one solution could be to have separate home and road caps, like so:

tNGTIzN.png

I do like the way this looks quite a bit.

• Like 4

In honor of Opening Day (Take II), here are the Pittsburgh Pirates:

Logos

No notable changes to the Pirates classic logo set, other than the primary "P" becoming black with a yellow outline.

SzCkI92.png

Uniforms

The Pirates primaries are among the top in all of baseball, so no significant changes here. I loved the road uniform with the "Pittsburgh" block font to match the home, but now feels like about the right time to go back to the script. As a small touch, the pirate's bandana is recolored yellow on the patch.

9ExMIRu.png

A yellow alternate is added into the rotation, and the black alternate replaces the yellow outline with a solid yellow script. The double-outline cap is also dropped.

qtPqbLp.png

A yellow cap is added as an occasional home option, and I'd love to see a gray crown cap at times on the road.

Fn6ZUel.png

The Cooperstown brings back the mustard/old gold for Sunday afternoons, and the Spring Training utilizes the pirate logo on the cap.

3j3IcHP.png

That's the Pirates, the San Diego Padres will be up next.

• Like 9

Here are the San Diego Padres:

Logos

Now that the Brown is Back and better than ever, there was no way I was trying anything else. No real changes to the logos beyond the addition of Cooperstown Collection designs.

TPdOn3o.png

Uniforms

Now that we've seen them in person, there's honestly no doubt in my mind that this new Padres set is a top 5 uniform in the league, at least. So no main changes to the main set, though the sand uniform they've designated as the "Away Alternate" becomes the primary road.

7HQFyWR.png

The brown alternate follows the striping template from the previous set, one good thing to hold over from the navy years. It's complete with the new "SD" on the chest, as well as plain pairs of white & sand pants to go with it.

QXIr8g0.png

The Cooperstown Collection throws back to the 1978 design. The Spring Training uniform embraces the gold and puts the Swinging Friar logo on the cap.

9VRQ3i1.png

That's the Padres, the San Francisco Giants will be up next.

• Like 13

Here are the San Francisco Giants:

Logos

I went back to the more upright 1994 wordmarks, and dropped gold from being an accent color. Beyond that, and a new primary logo, pretty much everything else remains the same.

ZgymgRR.png

Uniforms

I gave the uniforms a new patch based on the 2010 World Series Champion logo. I also added a fourth stripe on the socks to be inspired by the Golden Gate Bridge.

LEXknAZ.png

The orange alternate features the orange brim, and the black alternate removes the gold dropshadow.

PSnqLzo.png

The Cooperstown Collection keeps the "SF" away alternate with the headspoon piping, as a fauxback to the late 80's road uniform. The Spring Training set adds an orange cap for home games, and the team would use the gray crown cap for away games.

EPcDcr0.png

That's the Giants, the Seattle Mariners will be up next.

• Like 7

On 7/23/2020 at 4:58 PM, MJD7 said:

I suppose one solution could be to have separate home and road caps, like so:

tNGTIzN.png

I do like the way this looks quite a bit.

If you're going to outline the wordmark on the roads, you're essentially mimicking the late-40s look (which is fine), so I'd make the cap the same as their current alt cap (blue crown/red brim) and make the belt/socks blue.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, Dnice said:

Creative on your Giants logo.. 

Thanks. That was a design choice that stems all the way from my very first series.

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If you're going to outline the wordmark on the roads, you're essentially mimicking the late-40s look (which is fine), so I'd make the cap the same as their current alt cap (blue crown/red brim) and make the belt/socks blue.

Yea, the blue outline was 100% inspired by the late-40's look. The reason I went red-heavy was to distinguish in color balance from the Rangers, as in this series I tried to diversify the red & blue teams without having to change color schemes. Here's a look at your suggestion, though:

lnPbUCJ.png

I can't say I don't like how it looks!

• Like 2

Here are the Seattle Mariners:

Logos

I went back to the original wordmark font, while emphasizing the iconic teal. The "M" returns as the cap and primary logo, but without the middle "trident spike" in order to be a bit more subtle. Thanks to @SFGiants58 for creating a home wordmark that matches the away for me.

k46sFnM.png

Uniforms

I decided to utilize the 1980 away uniform striping, while emphasizing teal in the overall color balance.

lD2bRYY.png

Teal and navy variations on the primary uniforms.

lRQobeO.png

A teal alternate cap to pair with the home jerseys.

CBx0YZ6.png

For the Cooperstown Collection I went with a creme uniform inspired by the original Pilots uniform. The Spring Training jersey prominently showcases the new "M" logo.

ZEJHCmh.png

That's the Mariners, the St. Louis Cardinals will be up next.

• Like 8

Execution is still amazing, love the colors, and the number font is really nice.  But the logos just feel like they lack character I guess and is more of a relaxed style whereas the current branding is really "in your face" and lively.  But that's absolutely no fault of your own.  You really can't do much with the name "Mariners" and their current branding is pretty much the only thing you CAN do.  Personally, I think Seattle should go back to the Pilots name.  

But regardless, great job so far!  I've loved following along so far, can't wait for St Louis!

• Like 1

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

On 8/7/2020 at 5:01 AM, itsmb8 said:

Execution is still amazing, love the colors, and the number font is really nice.  But the logos just feel like they lack character I guess and is more of a relaxed style whereas the current branding is really "in your face" and lively.  But that's absolutely no fault of your own.  You really can't do much with the name "Mariners" and their current branding is pretty much the only thing you CAN do.  Personally, I think Seattle should go back to the Pilots name.  

But regardless, great job so far!  I've loved following along so far, can't wait for St Louis!

Thank you! Yea, it was especially difficult to come up with imagery for the Mariners this time around, as I started to realize how dated their current wordmarks really look, to me at least. If there was one thing I would have kept from the current logo package, it would probably be the compass rose, but that wouldn't fit as well within the "M" as it does the "S." I felt it would be a good time for the original logo package to come back with some updates to refresh it for the modern age. Bringing the Pilots name back wouldn't be a bad idea, that might be something to look into for the future!

The Cardinals will be up momentarily.

• Like 1

Here are the St. Louis Cardinals:

Logos

I loved the subtle update the Cardinals gradually unveiled of their classic "StL," but I also preferred the thicker navy outline of the previous iteration, so I combined the best of both. Other than that, virtually no changes to one of the best identities in baseball.

YdQjdwU.png

Uniforms

I changed the road script to read "St. Louis," and I created a custom number font to match the cap logo.

Zr4AorQ.png

Clash cap options are provided for when the Cardinals play red-heavy teams such as the Reds or Angels.

XUsxKzd.png

The Cooperstown Collection keeps the powder blue, but is more of a true throwback in regards to striping, while the Spring Training is inspired by a Cardinals' BP uniform from the 80's.

7ehRnuH.png

That's the Cardinals, the Tampa Bay Rays will be up next.

• Like 8

Here are the Tampa Bay Rays:

Logos

Since I don't really love any logo sets from their history, I decided to go for the fauxback look the Rays showcased a few years ago as a full-time set. The retro logos and wordmarks all return virtually unchanged.

H8wxPHT.png

Uniforms

An embrace of columbia blue, raglan sleeves, and paneled caps gives the Rays an old-school identity that would hopefully still feel cool in the modern day.

xZ22doT.png

The navy and columbia jerseys could both be worn either home or away, with both of the navy options being shown here.

49OrDaB.png

The Cooperstown Collection embraces the gradient that has been popular in recent years, and the Spring Training jersey embraces the yellow within the team's palette.

3JzKQ7W.png

There's the Rays, the Texas Rangers will be up next.

• Like 8

Here are the Texas Rangers:

Logos

The alternate logo from the 90's returns as the primary, and I also kept the "Rangers" script from the late 80's - early 90's. The cap logo has a double-outline to match the wordmarks as opposed to a shadow.

A23aeoK.png

Uniforms

I kept the double-outline numbers of the old jerseys, and added a red bill to the primary cap in order to balance the two colors effectively. 

586MelI.png

Red and blue variations on the primary uniforms. The red jersey is based on the 80's Rangers alternate.

oo8n1lj.png

The Cooperstown Collection uniform is based on the prior Washington Senators, which the Rangers threw back to in 1994. The Spring Training uniform utilizes a modified state outline logo with just the standalone "T."

TMmOHt2.png

That's what I've got for the Rangers, the Toronto (/Buffalo?) Blue Jays will be up next.

• Like 13

Here are the Toronto Blue Jays:

Logos

Virtually no changes to the Jays' beautiful set. I even kept the navy outline around the away wordmark because I love that little touch.

PhAs2PO.png

Uniforms

Pretty much no changes to the perfect primary uniforms.

swEwspl.png

The blue alternate can be worn at home or away. I also added a Canada Day alternate that fully embraces the nation's flag.

YmJ4cJH.png

I decided to keep the powder blue alternate on board, albeit with royal staying instead of navy. I did decide to make the Spring Training jersey use navy more heavily, though.

c0ow0FS.png

That's the Jays wrapping up the American League, the World Series champion Washington Nationals will be up next.

• Like 7

Here are the Washington Nationals:

Logos

The interlocking "DC" becomes the primary cap insignia, inspired by @SFGiants58. I combined the roundel of their current primary logo with the DC to create the new primary. The curly W still stays on for the Cooperstown Collection, though. I also brought the "Nationals" script to the primary homes full-time.

zSsKK9g.png

Uniforms

The home uniform is essentially the Spring Training jersey which has supposedly been brought on as an alternate. The primary cap is red with a navy brim, however, and the away is an inverse of that. I also flipped the colors of the away wordmark to match the home.

wA6ZYUv.png

The red alternate features the returning "DC" logo, and the World-Series good-luck-charm navy alternate remains mostly the same.

2WqfBmb.png

The Cooperstown Collection is a clear fauxback to the racing stripe, pinwheel cap Expos. The Nationals are also the only team to utilize a white uniform for Spring Training, which again features the interlocking "DC" logo.

EUkFJsQ.png

And with that, that completes the series! I hope you all enjoyed following along!

• Like 8

On 8/25/2020 at 4:22 PM, Poffsicle said:

I can't believe this thread isn't getting more love. These are all really good. Love the Nats switching to the DC full time. The only thing that stuck out for the Nats was the white bill on the spring training set. Navy bill would make it prime.

Thank you so much! The reason I went with a white brim was because I felt a navy brim would be too similar to the Cooperstown Collection cap. Here's a look at your suggestion, though, along with a red-brimmed version similar to what the team has worn before.

jKvTgX5.png

I also wanted to showcase the navy-brimmed cap with the primary home jersey. I would love to see that as an option, I like it possibly even more than I like the red cap.

UCPbNJI.png

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Awesome job on this series! You have a ton of great ideas. I really love your take on the Nationals, especially.

Random question, would it be cool if I used this template? I'm thinking of doing an MLB series of my own and I'm looking for something MS Paint- friendly. Yours is the best one I've found so far. I'd give credit, of course.