MLB x NIKE, TAKE II

MJD7

Apologies for not getting the Royals up yesterday, but here they are:

Logos

I decided to go with a primarily royal and powder blue scheme this time around, with gold being relegated to the crown logo. The primary wordmarks now have dropshadows inspired by the old primary logo in order to integrate the scheme more throughout. The Kansas City Monarchs logos come from @SFGiants58's excellent series.

jYf0UEk.png

Uniforms

The striping is inspired by an 80's BP jersey. I feel like this pattern can help "define" the Royals. Also, if any team is going to go with a powder blue road, it should be them. The number font is Clarendon-inspired to match the regality of the script and cap logo.

53IxAuX.png

The royal alternate is essentially a modern take on that same BP jersey, while the powder blue away can also be worn as an alternate at home on occasion. 

yPrv7BL.png

The Cooperstown Collection is inspired by the Kansas City Monarchs of the Negro Leagues. The Spring Training set adds a white cap.

0MtOE0V.png

Thanks to everyone for following, the Los Angeles Angels will be up next.

• Like 11

And here are the Angels:

Logos

Inspired by @SFGiants58, yellow takes over as the secondary color in place of navy, which remains as a tertiary. The "spikes" in the sides of the letters are removed to distance from the Rangers, while staying true to the team's earliest aesthetic.

oP641Rp.png

Uniforms

The single yellow stripe on the socks is meant to represent a halo. These yellow accents are also found in the middle stripe on the jersey and pants.

lF51sFZ.png

The red alternate now has white letters for improved readability, and when worn at home, it can be paired with a white cap, on occasion.

1pQF6RY.png

The Cooperstown Collection is based off of the PCL Angels, complete with UCLA stripes and a wordmark from @SFGiants58. The Spring Training goes all-in on the yellow.

yzyGsYW.png

That's it for the Angels, the LA Dodgers will be up next. Thanks!

• Like 13

I love this Angels concept.  I have always thought they should adopt the red and gold (yellow) look.  I never thought of keeping navy though as a tertiary color and it looks great in the subtle ways you used it.  I love the alternate script mark too.  I would like to see what it looks line on the updated color scheme in addition to the Cooperstown set.

• Like 3

On 6/2/2020 at 10:32 PM, Vincady said:

The yellow really makes it pop! I like how you removed the spikes as well.

On 6/4/2020 at 7:37 AM, KingViper said:

The yellow on the Angels is absolutely brilliant. Definitely gives it a California vibe. 

Thank you both! I agree that the yellow gives it that "California vibe," joining the Lakers, Chargers, and Rams as teams who have used the color to good effect.

On 6/4/2020 at 11:28 AM, SEANL said:

I love this Angels concept.  I have always thought they should adopt the red and gold (yellow) look.  I never thought of keeping navy though as a tertiary color and it looks great in the subtle ways you used it.  I love the alternate script mark too.  I would like to see what it looks line on the updated color scheme in addition to the Cooperstown set.

Thank you! Is this what you're referring to? (On the right, with the original on the left for comparison):

HycT7Qc.png

On 6/4/2020 at 1:12 PM, bcon_731 said:

The yellow panel front/red cap looks hella solid. Great concept, would you consider an away set with "Los Angeles" or "Anahiem"?  @MJD7

Thank you! I think "Los Angeles" would probably be too long for a non-script wordmark on a jersey, but here is a version with "Anaheim":

vdUba5S.png

• Like 4

On 6/10/2020 at 9:08 AM, bcon_731 said:

From the most recent set you posted, the two white sets. 

I'd probably want to avoid that, just because it would be identical to the Dodgers' away script.

Speaking of the Dodgers, I'll have them up momentarily.

• Like 1

It's time for the Dodgers:

Logos

The primary logo is a tweak of their alternate logo, now with the jersey wordmark.

RDfBSCb.png

Uniforms

The singular road uniform now has the "Los Angeles" script but removes the unnecessary piping to match the clean home uniform.

FXzaNVP.png

The Cooperstown Collection throws back to the Brooklyn Dodgers' 1944 satin blue uniform. The Spring Training utilizes the cursive "D" logo from the home script. I wouldn't mind seeing the jersey, inspired by an 80's BP design (as has been a theme in this series), used occasionally as an alternate in the regular season, but I'll leave that up to each of you to decide for yourselves. 

yWPqR4Q.png

That's it for today, the Miami Marlins will be up next.

• Like 8

On 6/15/2020 at 11:49 AM, bcon_731 said:

@MJD7 Is there a team that you cant resist thinking of concepts and is there anytime thats nearly impossible to think of something for? 

For the most part, the teams that I always come back to are the ones that I feel I've yet to perfect in my eyes. The Mariners, Twins, and Rays jump out to me as teams that have never really had an iconic, definitive look, so they are ones I find myself trying to revisit most often. That kind of goes along with having trouble thinking of ideas for them, especially when a team doesn't have great logos or colors to work with, that makes it more difficult. I also go through ruts where I simply don't feel like making any concepts (such as right now), as I imagine most designers do.

The Marlins will be up shortly.

• Like 1

Here are the Miami Marlins:

Logos

I kept the main base of the newest logo-set, but recolored it to be more "Marlin blue" heavy in the overall color scheme. A warm pink shade also replaces "caliente red."

4HNCVll.png

Uniforms

The wormarks are now blue-heavy, with a black outline and a pink dropshadow, so the blue & pink don't clash. I tried to separate the blue & pink everywhere I could throughout the set, with the black helping them both "pop."

VPaqU6w.png

A Marlin blue alt enters the rotation full-time (as it should be), and the black alternate has Marlin blue letters for improved readability.

6nUOXE2.png

Here are some alternate cap options, such as a white front-panel option to add to the 80's "Miami Vice" vibe, and a Marlin blue crown cap to mimic the original road uniform.

Y52Hrd8.png

The Cooperstown Collection is based on the original home uniform with the classic teal, and the Spring Training embraces the pink a little bit more.

CnJOB29.png

That's the Marlins, the Milwaukee Brewers will be up next.

• Like 19