Futures Football League (Schedule Posters start on p. 4--April 6)

WideRight

I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the number fonts, a. lot of them feel bland and ill-fitting to their teams. I think custom number fonts would make each team look better.

Also, punchy gungus made a great point about the chicago machine logo. I'd decrease the number of cogs on the gear, evenly space them, and have the outline be constant (see the end points of the C)

tinysig.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK let's see ...

Denver - how about Prospectors or Miners?

St. Louis - how about repurposing your Salt Lake Bards as the St. Louis Archers? Or maybe riff on the unused NFL St. Louis Stallions design?

Atlanta - maybe time to use Firebirds, building off the city's use of a phoenix?

New Orleans - I don't think anybody has used Jokers ... you'll have to use Mardi Gras colors, of course. Or Crawdads?

4 hours ago, Jake3.roo said:

I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the number fonts, a. lot of them feel bland and ill-fitting to their teams. I think custom number fonts would make each team look better.

Also, punchy gungus made a great point about the chicago machine logo. I'd decrease the number of cogs on the gear, evenly space them, and have the outline be constant (see the end points of the C)

A good point about Chicago.  I will see if I can fix the gear look.  The design was originally for a USFL alternative history, so the style might be a bit more old-school than some others.  I might revisit that as well.

When it comes to fonts for the numbers, honestly I just pull from the font library I have, which includes several NFL fonts, so several teams have NFL fonts (Rams, Patriots, Titans, Texans, Eagles, Jaguars).  Making a new font is not really something I am looking to do.  And with some custom fonts the desire to make it too relevant to the team name can cause some real horror shows (Tampa Bay, looking at you).  And I will say that my aesthetic tends to run towards 1980s-2000's NFL, USFL and maybe a bit of WLAF, but I am not a fan of some of the things I see out there in the world of indoor football or even college with too much "XTreme" looks.  So, you probably won't see a lot of crazy striping, oversized graphics, etc.  I am more of a traditionalist than a modernist when it comes to design.  (Don't get me started on how much I hate what Nike did with Oregon, or chrome/matte helmets, etc.)

Just one  more thing to consider.  So far, I have no red helmets, no green helmets, no purple at all, no brown, and perhaps too much blue/black.  So I am going to try to balance that out a bit with the last 4 teams.  I don't want a 12 team league with 6 black helmets.  Gotta get some color diversity in there. 

4 hours ago, rjrrzube said:

OK let's see ...

Denver - how about Prospectors or Miners?

St. Louis - how about repurposing your Salt Lake Bards as the St. Louis Archers? Or maybe riff on the unused NFL St. Louis Stallions design?

Atlanta - maybe time to use Firebirds, building off the city's use of a phoenix?

New Orleans - I don't think anybody has used Jokers ... you'll have to use Mardi Gras colors, of course. Or Crawdads?

8 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Just one  more thing to consider.  So far, I have no red helmets, no green helmets, no purple at all, no brown, and perhaps too much blue/black.  So I am going to try to balance that out a bit with the last 4 teams.  I don't want a 12 team league with 6 black helmets.  Gotta get some color diversity in there. 

So forgive me for quoting myself, but I wanted to add colors with your advice in mind. 

New Orleans Jokers helmet could be purple, Atlanta Firebirds red, St. Louis Archers green, and maybe Denver Miners could be brown, with silver and metallic gold. 

Just spitballing here. 

On 3/29/2020 at 10:54 AM, WideRight said:

The FFL's 3rd announced franchise is in Orlando, Florida.  Welcome the Orlando Explorers.

Rather than a Spanish conquistador image, Orlando will link in with NASA and the Space Coast, with their space shuttle imagery, use of NASA flightsuit orange and several partnership tie ins with the space industry of central Florida.  The team, in a league focused on the future, is clearly hoping that a focus on space and exploration will fire the imagination of its fanbase.  Playing in Exploria Stadium only adds to the choice of identity. 

ORLANDO EXPLORERS

Head Coach: Former Illinois, Chicago and Tampa coach Lovie Smith

Pro Mentor: Former U. of Miami, Niner, Dolphin and Bills RB Frank Gore

Stadium: Exploria Stadium (25,500)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think it would be great if you could expand the "ozone blue" top of the road onto the home jersey, as there's not much blue there.

Sidenote: do the black pants remind anyone else of the Marlins?

Atlanta Rampage - I just like the sound of this name. In my mind's eye, I see the corresponding logo package being centered around images of a charging rhinoceros.

Colorado Cutthroats - This name recognizes the Greenback Cutthroat Trout, the official state fish of Colorado. 

New Orleans Krewe - A nod to the social groups that - through the parades and balls they organize - form the backbone of the Crescent City's Carnival season. 

Phoenix Firebirds - Self-explanatory in a city named for the mythical bird that, upon attaining the age of 500 years, bursts into flames and is reduced to ashes... only to rise anew from its own charred remains.   

Portland Stags This is an identity that recognizes both Oregon's abundant wildlife and the famous sign atop the structure at 70 NW Couch Street in Portland that has featured the depiction of a leaping white stag - originally promoting White Stag Sportswear - since 1957. 

St. Louis Centaurs - Meld the equine theme of the 1990s St. Louis Stallions NFL expansion effort with the reference to the Gateway Arch that is the St. Louis Archers moniker and you have this alliterative - and highly unique - team identity. A powerful and untamed creature of myth, the centaur could be depicted as half man and half horse, wielding a bow and arrow, prepared for any battle.

Utah Sting or Utah Swarm - Either of these identities pays homage to Utah's state emblem and insect - respectively, the beehive and honeybee. 

13 hours ago, WideRight said:

New Orleans VooDoo - purple and St. Louis Rampage is your classic Orange. Red for your Atlanta team. I’m sure you find a team for green 

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

15 hours ago, WideRight said:

New Orleans is ripe for a Green / Puple combo

Maybe the Jesters or Princes or something like that?

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

Hey all,  I am really unsure about the 9th team, Atlanta.  I went with an odd color scheme for ATL, basically Clemson's Purple & Orange (which I love on Clemson when done right) and I tried a theme based on the ATL airport as the world's busiest. While there are aspects I like about the look of the logo and uni's I am just not completely sold on this.  Here is why...

1. Another letter-based logo.  I try not to have too many of these.

2. The colors don't really scream "Atlanta" to me, but red-black or red-navy is just so common.

3. Should I go with more of a wings motif?  Just not sure.

4. The name bugs me, but Jets is taken, Wings is meh, Flyers did not work for me.  Any other options if we stick with this logo?

4. Or would you go a totally different direction with ATL in general?

Let me know what you think.

ATLANTA FLIGHT

Head Coach: Raheem Morris

Pro Mentor: Roddy White

Stadium: Georgia State U. Stadium (24,333)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

27 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Hey all,  I am really unsure about the 9th team, Atlanta.  I went with an odd color scheme for ATL, basically Clemson's Purple & Orange (which I love on Clemson when done right) and I tried a theme based on the ATL airport as the world's busiest. While there are aspects I like about the look of the logo and uni's I am just not completely sold on this.  Here is why...

1. Another letter-based logo.  I try not to have too many of these.

2. The colors don't really scream "Atlanta" to me, but red-black or red-navy is just so common.

3. Should I go with more of a wings motif?  Just not sure.

4. The name bugs me, but Jets is taken, Wings is meh, Flyers did not work for me.  Any other options if we stick with this logo?

4. Or would you go a totally different direction with ATL in general?

Let me know what you think.

ATLANTA FLIGHT

Head Coach: Raheem Morris

Pro Mentor: Roddy White

Stadium: Georgia State U. Stadium (24,333)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I love everything about this but you’re right that something seems odd. Clemson colors wouldn’t do well in UGA but purple was used by the AAF Atlanta Legends. If you’re sold on the name/theme I’d rather see a logo like the Memphis Express from the AAF but to be fair I’m a sucker for helmets that don’t look like the traditional logo on the side blah blah 

6on7h5.jpg

On to Team 10:  New Orleans.  Decided to update a design I created for my version of the AAF.  The colors were unique to the FFL, and worked for the city, and the name was a no brainer.  What is new, for those who saw the AAF thread I had done last year?  Well, the primary logo is brand new.  Something of a mashup of several images and designs found online.  Other than that, the uniform and wordmark are not new.  I adjusted the colors slightly, but still green, purple and gold. 

NEW ORLEANS KREWE

Head Coach: Dave Aranda

Pro Mentor: Drew Brees

Stadium: Yulman Field at Tulane University (30,000)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Two things: 

6 hours ago, WideRight said:

The colors don't really scream "Atlanta" to me, but red-black or red-navy is just so common.

Delta Colors? It is the official airline of Atlanta. Also, what about Mike Vick or Matt Ryan as the mentor?

And without further ado,

The Flight: TAKE TO THE SKIES

The Krewe: JOIN THE KREWE. (idk man. Another option would be “life of the party”)

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

I have finished up the last 2 teams, so presenting them today, then perhaps some tweaking and ready to roll.  

Here is the St. Louis franchise. Decided to do a Showboats-style focus on steamships and riverboats.  The main logo is based on a secondary logo from the Lake County captains, with some significant changes/additions.  The secondary is my attempt to create an STL monogram which also looks like the anchor logo that most captain's hats have.  I wanted a red-focused team, and STL seemed like a better fit than Denver for that.   So, team 11 of 12 is ready to cast off. 

ST. LOUIS SKIPPERS

Head Coach:Stump Mitchell

Pro Mentor:Jordy Nelson

Stadium: New St. Louis MLS Stadium (22.000)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here is 12 of 12.  Denver opts to borrow from the Rockies color scheme, while also focusing on the most iconic feature of the state, its 52 14,000 foot peaks.  The colors ended up a bit K-State, but i like the more silvery/muted purple when compared with NO and ATL.  No team with a purple helmet, but 3 teams using purple as a key color.  My first thought was to call them the Pathfinders, but opted for the shorter and simpler name.  The secondary is a bit whimsical.  I found a great icon of a hiking boot and realized that if arranged right they form a very abstract DP monogram, so I went with it.  

DENVER PEAKS

Head Coach:Vance Joseph

Pro Mentor:Eric Decker

Stadium: Dick's Sporting Goods Park (20,000)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

4 hours ago, WideRight said:

I have finished up the last 2 teams, so presenting them today, then perhaps some tweaking and ready to roll.  

Here is the St. Louis franchise. Decided to do a Showboats-style focus on steamships and riverboats.  The main logo is based on a secondary logo from the Lake County captains, with some significant changes/additions.  The secondary is my attempt to create an STL monogram which also looks like the anchor logo that most captain's hats have.  I wanted a red-focused team, and STL seemed like a better fit than Denver for that.   So, team 11 of 12 is ready to cast off. 

ST. LOUIS SKIPPERS

Head Coach:Stump Mitchell

Pro Mentor:Jordy Nelson

Stadium: New St. Louis MLS Stadium (22.000)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

You knocked it out of the park with these last two concepts!  I’ll be a St Louis fan moving Forward. The Denver one is also very smooth and I’m a big fan of the actual mountain peaks in the logo. 8/12 of the concepts are badass, 2 of them are average and 2 of them fall flat on my board. But now I’m excited to see where you go from here. 

6on7h5.jpg

Archived