WideRight

Futures Football League (Schedule Posters start on p. 4--April 6)

I'm thinking the Skippers look a bit like their NFL neighbors to the west... 

Also, the anchor monogram is a great idea but I feel it lacks heft. Maybe thicker or outline it. Feels a bit delicate. 

I found Blindsay's suggestion of team slogans to be interesting. Here are a few of my own:

San Diego Surf Shredding the competition! 

Birmingham Bulldozers - Plow to Paydirt!

Orlando Explorers - One giant leap for FAN-kind!

New Jersey G-Men - Layin' down the law. 

Chicago Machine Football - Fear the Gear

Washington Sentinels Football - Shoulder to Shoulder 

Atlanta Flight - The Sky's the Limit!

New Orleans Krewe - Let the good times roll!

St. Louis Skippers - Full steam ahead!

Denver Peaks - Mile High Mayhem! 

You're probably wondering where my slogan suggestions for the California Condors and Austin Drillers happen to be? Well, when it comes to a slogan for the Condors, I really can't top your own take of "Time to Soar!"

As for the Austin Drillers... I have to be honest, the Drillers identity struck me as an odd one for an Austin-based franchise, as the city - indeed, the Austin Metro Area's Travis, Hays and Williamson Counties - have no real history as centers of oil production.     

On 4/2/2020 at 12:02 PM, WideRight said:

Hey all,  I am really unsure about the 9th team, Atlanta.  I went with an odd color scheme for ATL, basically Clemson's Purple & Orange (which I love on Clemson when done right) and I tried a theme based on the ATL airport as the world's busiest. While there are aspects I like about the look of the logo and uni's I am just not completely sold on this.  Here is why...

1. Another letter-based logo.  I try not to have too many of these.

2. The colors don't really scream "Atlanta" to me, but red-black or red-navy is just so common.

3. Should I go with more of a wings motif?  Just not sure.

4. The name bugs me, but Jets is taken, Wings is meh, Flyers did not work for me.  Any other options if we stick with this logo?

4. Or would you go a totally different direction with ATL in general?

Let me know what you think.

ATLANTA FLIGHT

Head Coach: Raheem Morris

Pro Mentor: Roddy White

Stadium: Georgia State U. Stadium (24,333)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Purple and Orange are my 2 favorite colors, so this is definitely a win in my books!

28 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

As for the Austin Drillers... I have to be honest, the Drillers identity struck me as an odd one for an Austin-based franchise, as the city - indeed, the Austin Metro Area's Travis, Hays and Williamson Counties - have no real history as centers of oil production.     

Love the slogans.  Some great ones there.  As for Austin, I hear you on that, but as the only Texas team in play right now, it seemed doable.  Besides the A-Derrick was too good to pass up. 

3 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

I found Blindsay's suggestion of team slogans to be interesting. Here are a few of my own:

San Diego Surf Shredding the competition! 

Birmingham Bulldozers - Plow to Paydirt!

Orlando Explorers - One giant leap for FAN-kind!

New Jersey G-Men - Layin' down the law. 

Chicago Machine Football - Fear the Gear

Washington Sentinels Football - Shoulder to Shoulder 

Atlanta Flight - The Sky's the Limit!

New Orleans Krewe - Let the good times roll!

St. Louis Skippers - Full steam ahead!

Denver Peaks - Mile High Mayhem!

Well, I’m flattered, and you beat me to it on St. Louis and Denver. 
I’ll keep Denver, I have another idea for St. Louis. Which is TAKE FULL COMMAND.

Bryan in New York.

I would support more signatures.

For the Austin secondary logo, how about a regular D with a drop in the middle, since you have the A in the primary?

Wherever Veras is, I think he’d be proud of your New Orleans Krewe concept. Great work!

FFL Teams have begun their season ticket campaigns.  Chicago and Orlando kick it off.  (BTW, I am still using CorelDraw for these, not a photo program, so it is not exactly pro quality graphic design work. Just forewarning.)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Two more for today.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

So, since the Championship Game is on the 4th of July, I was thinking something something just as snappy as Super Bowl.

1st idea: I’m *insert commentator’s name* AND WELCOME TO THE GREAT AMERICAN CLASSIC! 
Or WELCOME TO THE FIGHT ON THE FOURTH!

Or: WELCOME TO THE JULY JAMBOREE! Ok maybe that one sounds a bit corny. But is the Championship game going to be at a specific location or A home field?

57 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

So, since the Championship Game is on the 4th of July, I was thinking something something just as snappy as Super Bowl.

1st idea: I’m *insert commentator’s name* AND WELCOME TO THE GREAT AMERICAN CLASSIC! 
Or WELCOME TO THE FIGHT ON THE FOURTH!

Or: WELCOME TO THE JULY JAMBOREE! Ok maybe that one sounds a bit corny. But is the Championship game going to be at a specific location or A home field?

The Championship will be located at the stadium of whichever team wins the #1 seed, adding some serious weight to the regular season.  It also gives the city about 3 weeks to plan (or more if the team clinches #1 seed earlier than week 14).  The idea is that each city would book their stadium for that game before the season even starts and then only 1 would actually get the game.   I do love your idea of the "Great American Classic".  Perhaps something like that will be used. 

Getting close to simming Season 1 of the FFL over on https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php.  12 teams, 14 weeks.  But what good is a kickoff without advertising, so here is just one piece of FFL marketing to be seen in full-page ads all across the country (and online, of course, this is a Mark Cuban gig after all.)

spacer.png

Nice Poster.

Also, I figured out the formula to spring football a little while ago: Not to rival the NFL, but to work with it. The FFL does that perfectly. Also, all of the team designs are amazing.

11 hours ago, ItsSlothy said:

Nice Poster.

Also, I figured out the formula to spring football a little while ago: Not to rival the NFL, but to work with it. The FFL does that perfectly. Also, all of the team designs are amazing.

There are some really tough Catch-22 situations involved with Spring football, which is why I don't think most leagues last very long.

1. If you want filled stadiums you need to go to smaller markets that are not saturated with Major League spring sports (MLB, NHL, NBA, MLS) but if you want a good TV contract you need to be in major markets like NY, LA, Chicago, etc.  So how do you balance that out so that you do not have empty stadiums on TV or filled stadiums but lousy TV number on a 3rd tier network.  (Who would watch Laredo vs. Des Moines on FX?)

2. What fans want from a spring league is good football preferably played by top tier players.  They want the USFL.  Kelly, Young, Walker, etc.  but if you do that you better have several billion dollars of capital to go head to head with the NFL and the major media networks in their pockets.   If you go the other route you have to convince the millions of football fans who do not deeply loathe the NFL (there are some that do, but they are not enough to support a new league) that it is cool to watch (and pay to watch) guys who are NFL-roster marginal play each other.  You will get great ratings if your spring league has Mahomes vs. Goff lined up each week, but how do you get good ratings consistently when you have Cardale Jones vs. Mike Bercovici playing each week?

3. With a spring schedule and a startup league there are some natural hurdles to deal with:  1) Bad weather right at the start of the season will suppress attendance.   2) You have to compete with the start of MLB, both NHL and NBA playoffs, and March Madness, all major sports events that will cut down your viewership and your attendance.   3) While there are many folks who would love year-round football, there are more who either are OK with a break, or whose families will be really ticked off to be abandoned for football for the other half of the year. 

I would argue that today only the smaller market, warm weather cities, lower budget, smaller stadium version of spring football would work.  NFL salaries and TV contracts make it nearly impossible for a USFL style rival league to actually succeed.  So, we get AAF and XFL and hope that one of them has the funding to stay alive long enough to earn an actual revenue-generating TV contract. 

But, on the topic of the FFL and logos/design.  I am wondering what people would like to see next.   If I wanted to do altered photos of actual players I would need to learn some serious photoshop skills (which I don't currently have) and I work with Corel Draw and Corel Photo/Paint, so I would need to learn to do that on Corel software.  Not too likely.  What other graphic components could be designed purely from Corel Draw?

I liked the game posters that the one designer did for AAF and XFL games. They also featured fauxback helmets for the AAF. That might be good.