Recommended Posts

On 5/12/2020 at 9:36 AM, Sport said:

 

The logo and the front of the uniforms was good, but those numbers on the back were pure garbage

 

jul-1998-infielder-bill-spiers-of-the-ho13655_01_lg.jpg

These numbers are almost identical to what the Sonics were wearing around the same time. (96 Finals era when they added red.) Could have been a manufacturer thing?

But yes they are ugly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While nobody was happy that the Blue Jays went BFSB, I will say that this road jersey was pretty nice.  I'm happy that they went back to the updated retro look, but I think they could have made the black work a little better if blue was still the dominant colour, especially on the home set.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2020 at 5:34 PM, M4One said:

While nobody was happy that the Blue Jays went BFSB, I will say that this road jersey was pretty nice.  I'm happy that they went back to the updated retro look, but I think they could have made the black work a little better if blue was still the dominant colour, especially on the home set.

 

spacer.png

 

I think black, used very sparingly like on outlines and maybe a black-brimmed/ blue crowned alternate hat, while keeping blue as the dominant color, could have looked really good. I too prefer the current set, but the Black Jays look could have been pretty good too. Keep the undershirts, socks, and hats blue, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will always maintain that the Graphite Jays era had the perfect color scheme and ruined it with the worst possible execution of it. That shade of blue they used back then was beautiful in person and criminally underused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

I will always maintain that the Graphite Jays era had the perfect color scheme and ruined it with the worst possible execution of it. That shade of blue they used back then was beautiful in person and criminally underused.

I'd love to see a baseball team use that shade of blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can make a sound argument that the Sabres should have never changed their original look but that doesn't mean you can't appreciate this set for its own merits.  Everything about this set is sharp & decisive and the realistically styled Bison-head looks great as an embroidered crest.  The angular stripes also do a nice job of framing the logo without overpowering it.  If these were the uniforms of a Bison-based expansion-team, I'm sure they would have far less detractors. 

znQSDAy.jpg
prJjpbL.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

You can make a sound argument that the Sabres should have never changed their original look but that doesn't mean you can't appreciate this set for its own merits.  Everything about this set is sharp & decisive and the realistically styled Bison-head looks great as an embroidered crest.  The angular stripes also do a nice job of framing the logo without overpowering it.  If these were the uniforms of a Bison-based expansion-team, I'm sure they would have far less detractors. 

znQSDAy.jpg
prJjpbL.jpg

Just meh on the Goat head but my issue is with the color scheme. Make those Royal Blue and Gold and I don't think most people have a problem with it, I could be wrong. I know one person from Buffalo (old Navy buddy of mine but he lives in North Carolina now (work)) and he wants the Sabres in nothing but the Original look. IF it's not the Original look, he doesn't like it. Like here in Pittsburgh, most people didn't mind the Uniform Design being changed, However they had a HUGE problem with the Logo being changed. IF you take the Skating Penguin and simply put it on the '92/'93 Uniform Design, I don't think the backlash is as great as it was for the pigeon logo + Uniform Design being overhauled

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2020 at 9:46 PM, C-Squared said:

This Glad Bad look was even worse than it gets credit for (with the current set being far better than most appreciate)... this set was like puberty between their original and current looks.

 

Not just that, but it's the use of both "Seahawk blue" AND navy that grinds my gears, and they were just barely distinguishable from each other anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2020 at 11:49 AM, Fitzy0220 said:

Just meh on the Goat head but my issue is with the color scheme. Make those Royal Blue and Gold and I don't think most people have a problem with it, I could be wrong. I know one person from Buffalo (old Navy buddy of mine but he lives in North Carolina now (work)) and he wants the Sabres in nothing but the Original look. IF it's not the Original look, he doesn't like it. Like here in Pittsburgh, most people didn't mind the Uniform Design being changed, However they had a HUGE problem with the Logo being changed. IF you take the Skating Penguin and simply put it on the '92/'93 Uniform Design, I don't think the backlash is as great as it was for the pigeon logo + Uniform Design being overhauled

I mean... all that you said is exactly the point of their post. It’s not the OG look, but on it’s own, without considering the original look, it’s a decent set. 
 

It would be very interesting to see how it would be tweaked, if they decided to keep the look into the Reebok edge. And maybe even further at that point...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2020 at 12:18 AM, Morgan33 said:

You can make a sound argument that the Sabres should have never changed their original look but that doesn't mean you can't appreciate this set for its own merits.  Everything about this set is sharp & decisive and the realistically styled Bison-head looks great as an embroidered crest.  The angular stripes also do a nice job of framing the logo without overpowering it.  If these were the uniforms of a Bison-based expansion-team, I'm sure they would have far less detractors. 

znQSDAy.jpg
prJjpbL.jpg

I remember this template was the one seemingly every other minor hockey organization wore during that time period. Mine did. Even if they didn't wear red black and silver they'd still use this striping with their own scheme. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally, I'm not a fan of the gold drop shadows on the SF Giants' uniform sets, but I have a couple of exceptions. For instance, one would be their Orange Friday jerseys. Another would be these Spring Training/BP uniforms worn from 2003-2006:

 

4145.gif

 

While the jerseys looked fine paired with the ST/BP cap from that era (seen above), I think they looked even better with the standard "SF" lid:

 

barry-bonds-of-the-san-francisco-giants-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely on the Sabres. They switched to those around when I started to really pay attention, and I was young enough to think they were really cool. I can understand the dislike coming from such a drastic change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2020 at 7:35 PM, TheHealthiestScratch said:

I don’t know if it’s an unpopular opinion or not, but I think the Thrashers had a higher tier look in the NHL at the time. It eventually turned into a dumpster fire in the following years, but this was sharp. Also, check out the hams that Mr. Heatley was hiding under his socks, trying to pass them off as shin pads. Gear in this era looked so awkward.

The Thrashers were just underrated in general

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a whole galaxy of underrated/underappreciated college basketball uniforms...but this is still in my top 5 of favorite CBB unis ever:

 

Mark Dickel of the UNLV Rebels dribbling the ball down court ...

Forward Shawn Marion of the UNLV Runnin'' Rebels in action during ...

 

I could probably pick out 50-60 college basketball unis from the 90s that should return. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a good look. It's extremely templated but that's still a good looking uniform. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2020 at 10:51 AM, Lights Out said:

I will always maintain that the Graphite Jays era had the perfect color scheme and ruined it with the worst possible execution of it. That shade of blue they used back then was beautiful in person and criminally underused.

 

It was an attractive shade of blue for sure (I'd have to poke around at hex values but I think I could argue for them using a slightly lighter shade of that blue over standard royal or navy as their base color today), but the grey and black didn't belong there at any level. I'm not a big fan of messing with color schemes, and I think the Blue Jays had a really good thing going with blue, a lighter blue, and red. Same with the original logo concept, they shouldn't have gotten away from that either.

 

On 5/26/2020 at 11:49 AM, Fitzy0220 said:

I know one person from Buffalo (old Navy buddy of mine but he lives in North Carolina now (work)) and he wants the Sabres in nothing but the Original look. IF it's not the Original look, he doesn't like it.

Your friend is right. I have a few tweaks in mind for the Sabres (no white trim on yellow numbers or on the breezers, just straight yellow on blue; varsity serif nameplates), but the fundamentals never should have changed. I don't look to Buffalo for modernity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the admiral said:

 

It was an attractive shade of blue for sure (I'd have to poke around at hex values but I think I could argue for them using a slightly lighter shade of that blue over standard royal or navy as their base color today), but the grey and black didn't belong there at any level. I'm not a big fan of messing with color schemes, and I think the Blue Jays had a really good thing going with blue, a lighter blue, and red. Same with the original logo concept, they shouldn't have gotten away from that either.

 

TruColor/Pantone/Colorwerx/Miguel Sanchez/Dr. Nguyen Van Phuoc marked the hex value down as #004B87/PMS 301C:

 

004b87.png&f=1&nofb=1

Pairing that with navy would be a nice way to keep a tiny bit of the Black Jays alive. Granted, I tried to do a concept to make the "Black Jays" work.

 

cV80JoU.png

 

It's got potential to be OK. Just OK, not any better than that. I'm thinking of redoing it with some of the "unused assets" from Phoenix Design Works' (yes, that company did the Black Jays) site: 

 

QNuxUim.png

 

I'd never use that awful number font, as it's offensively ugly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m more concerned with how that era of Blue Jays used several different typefaces, all of them awful. But the color scheme wasn’t right, either.

 

given the most recent updates, do the Rangers have the closest thing to the classic Jays color scheme? I’ve always loved the multi blue plus a punch of red, would like to see a DC team use it maybe.  I don’t mind the current Jays’ minimizing the red.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.