American Union of Interscholastic Athletics (Football Updates 10/15)

kb105

I've been drawing logos since I was younger, but only recently gotten into digital design. The many different concepts I've seen I feel has expanded my abilities and has led to me wanting to get some feedback to even better my work. I hope you guys enjoy this and now I present to you, the American Union of Interscholastic Athletics.spacer.pngspacer.png

Colorado River Conference (CRC)

Atlantic Gulf Conference (A*Gulf)

Ozarks Athletic Association (Ozarks)

Old 8 Conference

Delmarva Bays Conference (DMV)

New England Athletic Union (NEAU)

Frontier Lakes Conference

Spoiler

Atvida

Crossroads

Cussewago Clippers

Heartland Central

Manitowoc

Manistee Briars

Michiana

Ouisconsin Pelicans  

Quad Cities

UZane

Van Wert Aviators  

Zambelli Pyros

Plains States Conference

Spoiler

Brickyard

Dakota A&M Triceratops  

Iowa Post

Le Mars

Lea State

Minnakota

Minnesota Mines Greyhounds  

Northeast Kansas

Stefan

Twain State (Coming Soon)

Watford

Western Dakota

Cascadia 12 Conference (C12)

Spoiler

Caspar State

Central Cascades

Cheyenne 

Columbia

Custer

Glaciers

Ketchikan

Matanuska Valley

Mountain Home State

Puget State

Rathdrum Prairie 

Rouge Valley

Eureka Conference

Spoiler

Cayetano State

Central Pacific

Coachella

Folsom State

Hawai’i State

Mojave

Redwood Empire

San Joaquin Valley

Shasta

Ventura Plains

*Please Note*:I will try to update aspects surrounding the concepts, such as league championships/postseasons, stadiums/arenas, schedules, etc. as much and as frequent as possible. 

C&C Appreciated!

2022 Football Season

Schedule Matchups

Weekly Rankings 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 -----> 21

Postseason: Bracket Logos

• Like 2

spacer.png

Colors

- Hoodoo Orange

- White

- Block Gradient

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Spoiler

In 1925, the US congress upgraded the protective status of Bryce Canyon from a national monument to a national park. One of the most famous parts of BCNP is the rock formations called hoodoos, tall spires of rock that best resemble stalagmites on a cave floor. So, the state of Utah decided to set up a laboratory tasked with studying these formations, along with the other red rock sites in southern Utah. The name of this laboratory was called Bryce Canyon Institute of Geology. For the first 50 years, the school only gave out geology degrees before giving out archaeological and adjacent degrees. In 1978, they began their engineering program with geotechnical and mining engineering. By 2005, BCIG looked no different from any other college in the state. It was at this time that the school explored an update in their branding and even contemplated changing their name. Ultimately, many in leadership retired and alumni were appointed in high ranking positions and opted to maintain the existing name. 
          For the majority of the history in the Canyon athletics were at the very far back of the minds of students and administration alike. In the late 90s, some club sports began popping up and by the late 2000’s, varsity athletics began being discussed. When the AUIA was being formed, the administration decided to extend feelers out to the fledgling institution and ultimately decided to join. Having absolutely no athletic history to go off of, the school looked quite literally outside their windows for inspiration. And boy did they find quite the inspiration. Hoodoo formations dot the landscape just east of campus and thus represent the school very well, along with the layers of red sedimentary rock that can be seen from the years of weathering and erosion carving the southern Utah land. Along with the visual brand being established, so did a name that was just a teensy bit shorter than Bryce Canyon Institute of Geology for fans and announcers to be able to speak both frequently and quickly in the span of a college game. Being the only school specifically established for geological sciences, the nickname Geo was decided.
          On the playing surface, establishing a quality product was also necessary. The first few years of the AUIA were ones of navigating a new space of college athletics outside of the practical monopoly that is the NCAA and thus led to recruiting top tier talent a real challenge. By 2015-16 however, the AUIA had established itself as the destination for top talent both straight out of high school and from NCAA institutions. Geo was able to tap into the Phoenix and Las Vegas metros for high school recruits as well as poach athletes from NCAA programs such as Utah, BYU, and schools in Arizona and Nevada, all leading to athletic prominence. Football won the school’s first national title in 2016, repeating in 2017 and 2021, while basketball won the first conference title in 2016, beating out football by just a few months. Baseball and hockey are not far behind, winning their share of conference titles along with becoming a force on the national stage. Rivalries are also formulating fast. The largest so far has to be Arizona Southern, who restarted their program also in 2012 and like Geo are beginning to find their place upon the mountain top of the Colorado River Conference and the AUIA as a whole. Football is probably the most fierce, as the two matchups from the 2022 season were the stuff movies are made of with the first meeting being a 14-13 overtime slugfest, going the way of the Coatis, and the second being a barn burner in the conference championship in Las Vegas, going the way of the Hoodoos. Speaking of slugfests, basketball is no slouch in the contest either, with the teams physically coming to blows in the 2023 conference tournament, leading to a number of ejections on both sides.

Spoiler

Football v1 v2

Basketball v1 v2

Hockey v1 v2

Baseball v1 v2

• Like 3

First of all, love the school name. It can be really difficult to think of original school names, and you've definitely done that. I think the concept will be really polished if you stick to only two of the colors (IMO red rock and hoodoo orange). If you're planning on doing as many schools as I think you are, having more simplified color schemes for each school will help keep each one more unique. You've also picked a really unique nickname, but looks like you've run into a bit of trouble in the logo for it. Picking a logo base solely off a natural land-form will always been tricky, because it ends up looking really blobbish by the end of tracing linework. Run with the hammer thing, but really try to simplify it down to it's key shapes. As well as this, I'd get rid of the text on your primary or secondary. Make the hammer thing the real focal point of the logo, the text will only clutter it. Personally, I think you really have something to work with with your tertiary, go with it! I know I just threw a lot at you, but it's a good start and it will look even better with a bit more polish! Looking forward to what else you come up with

On 3/28/2020 at 12:18 AM, jmoe12 said:

Have you thought about maybe putting the shape of the rock inside of the B? The two wide areas could be the two "holes" in the letter.
"

On 3/28/2020 at 9:08 PM, ItsSlothy said:

I like option 3.

I tried to put the shape in the B, but it didn't look right, so instead I put it in the G's negative space, instead. I also lightened the Hoodoo Orange up a bit to create better contrast with the Red Rock.

spacer.png

Edited by kb105
Changed kerning and promoted "GEO" logo to primary, Thor's Hammer to secondary
  • Like 2

The second team from the CRC, Grand Valley University

VQ50uhq.jpg

Football

BFVMJ6j.png

Helmet

Home/Away

•  Lavender shell, grape facemask
  • Grape bobcat ears with white ear hole
  •  G/LPrimary logo on front bumper, Grand Valley on back bumper
  • The back has the US flag to the LEFT and ABOVE Colorado state flag and the AUIA logo to the right, g/w numbers in center 

Alternate

• Lavender shell, lavender facemask
  • Grape bobcat ears with lavender ear hole
  •  L/G Primary logo on front bumper, Grand Valley on back bumper
  • The back has the US flag to the LEFT and ABOVE Colorado state flag and the AUIA logo to the right, grape numbers in center 

Home

Jersey

• Grape base, w/l/w/g/w/l/w sleeve stripe
  • L/W number, collar logo, NOB 
  • Lavender cuffs
  • Lavender Adidas logo and team specific conference logo

Pants

• Lavender base, grape Adidas logo, g/w secondary hip logo
  • W/L/W/G/W/L/W side stripe

Away         

Jersey

• White base, w/l/w/g/w/l/w sleeve stripe
  • G/L number, collar logo, NOB 
  • Grape cuffs
  • Grape Adidas logo and team specific conference logo

Pants

• Grape base, lavender Adidas logo, l/w secondary hip logo

Alternate  

Jersey

• Lavender base, w/l/w/g/w/l/w sleeve stripe
  • Grape number, collar logo, NOB 
  • Grape cuffs

Pants

Basketball

jqEw9ug.png

Home

Jersey

• White base
  • G/L number, wordmark, NOB 
  • Grape collar, arm holes

Shorts

• White base, grape Adidas logo,
  • W/L/W/G/W/L/W side and pant leg stripe, l/w primary side logo

Away  

Jersey

• Grape base
  • L/W number, wordmark, NOB 
  • Lavender collar, arm holes

Shorts

• Grape base, lavender Adidas logo,
  • W/L/W/G/W/L/W side and pant leg stripe, g/l primary side logo

Alternate

Jersey

• Lavender base
  • Grape number, wordmark, NOB 
  • Grape collar, arm holes

Shorts

• Lavender base, grape Adidas logo,
  • W/L/W/G/W/L/W side and pant leg stripe, g/l primary side logo

Hockey

sGC97so.png

Helmet

Home/Away

•  Lavender shell 
  • G/W secondary side logo
  • The back has the US flag to the LEFT and ABOVE Colorado state flag and the AUIA logo to the right, w/g numbers in center 

Alternate

• Grape shell
  • L/G secondary side logo
  • The back has the US flag to the LEFT and ABOVE Colorado state flag and the AUIA logo to the right, lavender numbers in center

Home

Jersey

• Grape base, lavender sleeves, w/l/w/g/w/l/w sleeve stripe
  • L/W primary front logo, number, collar logo, NOB 

Pants

Away          

Jersey

• White base, lavender sleeves, w/l/w/g/w/l/w sleeve stripe
  • G/L primary front logo, number, collar logo, NOB 

Pants

Alternate  

Jersey

• Lavender base, grape sleeves, w/l/w/g/w/l/w sleeve stripe
  • G/L primary front logo, number, collar logo, NOB 

Pants

• Grape base, lavender Adidas logo, l/g secondary hip logo

Baseball

3ntxV3I.png

Caps:

Home/Alt1 - Grape base, lavender brim, l/w secondary logo, white Adidas logo

Away - Lavender base, grape brim, g/l secondary logo, white Adidas logo

Alt2 - Block gradient, red rock brim, tertiary logo

Helmet:

Home/Away/Alt1 - Grape base, lavender brim, l/g secondary logo

Home

Jersey

• White base, grape pinstripes, under shirt
  • G/L number, wordmark, NOB, front logo 

Pants

• White base, grape Adidas logo, pinstripes
  • Lavender side stripe
  • Grape belt

Away  

Jersey

• Lavender base, grape pinstripes, under shirt
  • G/L number, wordmark, NOB, front logo 

Pants

• Lavender base, grape Adidas logo, pinstripes
  • Grape side stripe
  • Grape belt

Alternate

Jersey

• Grape base, lavender pinstripes, under shirt
  • L/G number, wordmark, NOB, front logo 

Pants

• Lavender base, grape Adidas logo, pinstripes
  • Grape side stripe
  • Grape belt
  • Like 3

Coming from Nogales, Arizona, the Tigers ...

spacer.png

Colors

- Dark Walnut (light brown)

- Sand

- Sonoran Night (dark brown)

Football

rdXmqKy.png

Basketball

imZyJjJ.png

Hockey

OHSfETg.png

Baseball

YTdlYCR.png

Spoiler

Nogales, much like the city it is named after and situated in, has its origins as a Mexican entity. First opened as a single room schoolhouse in 1842 in Los Nogales de Elías, the land grant from the Mexican government to the Elías family. In 1853, the area of Nogales was transferred into American territory through the Gadsden Purchase. By this time the schoolhouse had been expanded to be four rooms with another building being built next to it. The schoolhouse remained operational throughout the Civil War and well after. At the turn of the 20th century, the school, now called Nogales School for Young Adults, had a five building campus and had long since pushed the confines of the land it was on. In the summer of 1913, a fire broke out in the main building and soon spread throughout the campus and even to neighboring buildings. The school was rebuilt in 1915 as Nogales High School, the first public secondary school in the city. The owners for NSYA had sold the land to the city and looked to build a college in the town. By 1918, the new college, Nogales College, was opened up. The school was focused on agriculture, leading to the state giving them Land-Grant status in 1924, only the second in the state. The college has grown steadily over the years and has one of the highest percentages of the student population being Hispanic at 95%. The most recent numbers show the enrollment at around 8,000 students with the best degree program being International Relations and Global Affairs. 
          The athletic teams did not begin as college athletics until 1918 as all previous teams would compete against high school competition. The only thing that has remained the same from the NSYA days to Nogales College is the nickname, but not the mascot. The high school teams wore brown and orange and were named the Tigers of the big cat variety. The first college teams opted to exchange orange for the color of the land in which they played, desert sand and made their mascot one they could find in their backyard, the Tiger Rattlesnake. They joined their first conference in 1931 alongside the other Arizona schools in the form of the Border Conference. They would last in the conference until it disbanded, but they never quite were able to get past the larger schools in the state, only beating Arizona and Arizona State a few times for the conference title, mostly in baseball. Starting in 1963, they joined the RMAC, joining future AUIA conference mates ECNM and Malpais State. In the RMAC, Nogales and Malpais State formed an intense rivalry, mostly as the battle to not be last in the conference. Neither have been accused of being athletic powers, but both would experience some success in baseball, at times duking it out for the top of the league. The two longtime rivals would bring their rivalry over to the AUIA, where they continue to struggle in non-baseball competition. 

• Like 1

Hailing from Southeastern Nevada, the NIE Tortugas

yZkn2VF.jpg

Football

nMydz3P.png

Helmet

Home/Away

•  Silver shell, neon facemask, n/si/sa stripe
  • Primary logo decal
  • The back has the US flag to the LEFT and ABOVE Nevada state flag and the AUIA logo to the right, sa/n/si number in center

Home

Jersey

• Neon base, si/n/sa/n/si/n/sa sleeve stripe
  • Si/N/Sa number, NOB wordmark
  • Silver Adidas logo and team specific conference logo

Pants

• Silver base, neon adidas logo
  • n/si/sa side stripe, secondary side logo

Away         

Jersey

• Silver base, n/si/sa/si/n/si/sa sleeve stripe
  • N/Sa/N number
  • Neon adidas logo and team specific conference logo

Pants

• Neon base, silver adidas logo
  • Si/N/Sa side stripe, secondary side logo

Basketball

FVp5Y1d.png

Home

Jersey

• Silver base
  • N/Sa/N number, NOB, wordmark
  • Neon collar

Shorts

• N/Si/Sa bottom stripe, N/Sa/N secondary side logo

Away  

Jersey

• Neon base
  • Si/N/Sa number, wordmark, NOB
  • Silver collar
  • Silver adidas logo and team specific conference logo

Shorts

• Si/N/Sa bottom stripe, secondary side logo

Hockey

CkKRoQx.png

Helmet

Home/Away

•  Silver shell 
  • N/Sa/N secondary logo
  • The back has the US flag to the LEFT and ABOVE Nevada state flag and the AUIA logo to the right, n/sa/n numbers in center 

Pants

Home/Away

• Si/N/Sa side stripe, secondary hem logo

Home

Jersey

• Neon base, Silver, si/n/sa/n/si/n/sa stripe, sandstone sleeves
  • Primary front logo, si/n/sa number, NOB 
  • Silver adidas logo and team specific conference logo     

Away          

Jersey

• Silver base, neon, n/si/sa/si/n/si/sa stripe, sandstone sleeves
  • Primary front logo, n/sa/n number, NOB 

Baseball

xYuTUgi.png

Cap:

Home/Away - Neon base, primary logo, silver brim, silver adidas logo

Helmet:

Home/Away - Neon base, primary logo, silver brim

Home

Jersey

• White base, neon piping, n/sa/si sleeve stripe
  • N/Si/N number, secondary logo, NOB
  • Neon adidas logo

Pants

• White base, neon adidas logo
  • Neon side stripe
  • Neon belt

Away  

Jersey

• Silver base, neon piping, n/sa/si sleeve stripe
  • N/Si/N number, secondary logo, NOB
  • Neon adidas logo

Pants

• Neon side stripe
  • Neon belt
Edited by kb105
Added Uniform
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 1:11 AM, Black Dragon said:

Are you going to team uniforms 

Yes I am, I just finished BCIG through Nogales, I will updated all of the original posts as soon as possible, as well as a conference logo sheet. from here on out I will try to include uniforms with the team unveilings, as well as conference logo sheets when appropriate. I hope to have all of the updates along with a few new teams posted by the end of the week.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Colors

- Blue Gramma

- Turquoise

- Yucca

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Spoiler

Beginning as a musical arts school started by Norman Petty, ECNM first held classes in the band room of Clovis High School in the fall of 1954 in conjunction with Petty’s recording studio beginning to be built. The next year, some non musical curriculum began, all surrounding the arts. By 1959, the school had become a full fledged liberal arts college and was on its way to becoming a university. In 1966, the formerly named Petty School of the Arts was renamed Clovis-Petty University after the introduction of select graduate degrees and the opening of a new campus, largely funded by the city of Clovis and the Petty family. Along with the new campus was the beginning of sponsored athletics, as fields and venues were a part of the new campus, which was intended to drive up both student applications as well as help stimulate the local economy. And that it did as enrollment doubled to 5,000 students by 1970. When Norman Petty passed away in 1984, his wife, Vi, began lobbying the state legislature to make Clovis-Petty a state institution. As a part of this effort, the school was renamed East Central New Mexico University in 1986 and in 1989 was made a state university, with the name changing slightly to East-Central New Mexico. This helped bring down tuition costs, especially for instate students and led to enrollment ballooning to its peak of 15,000 in the 90s. Since then, the enrollment has gone back down a bit to about 9-11,000. Owing to its origins, the school is one of the best musical schools in the Southwest and is credited as having one of the best marching bands west of the Mississippi and is a spectacle for opposing fans at sporting events.
          As previously mentioned, athletics began in 1966 with baseball and basketball, while football began in 1970. The First teams were named the Musicians and played in the now named Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (RMAC) of the NAIA, where they were joined by fellow New Mexico institutions, Western New Mexico and New Mexico Highlands in 1967 and 1968, respectively. While in the RMAC, the teams were decent, but could never capture a championship in conference. In 1989 ECNM moved to the Lone Star Conference, joining Eastern New Mexico, which is located about 20 miles south of ECNM. This move was also in conjunction with their nickname changing from Musicians to Roadies, in reference to roadrunners as well as Roadies employed by bands. Football had immediate success, winning conference titles in 1994, 1996, and 1999. They would win again in 2008, which would be their last in the LSC. Other sports had some growing pains during the 90s, especially baseball who only had a winning conference season once in ‘93. The 2000s were a bit better, as basketball won their division in 2004, alongside Eastern New Mexico. Baseball, however, continued to struggle and hit rock bottom in the spring of 2011 when they failed to win a single conference series the whole year. Since joining the AUIA, football has had varying levels of success. They went on to win the 2014 Colorado Rivers title and reached the postseason four times as an at-Large, most recently in 2019. Basketball has failed to win much in the CRC, as Geo and Camp Hale have established dominance over the conference. Baseball continued to struggle as much of the Texas talent goes to schools in the A*Gulf and the Las Vegas and California recruits are split between the western teams in the conference as well as some of the programs in the Eureka Conference. Like most of the southern schools, hockey first started in the AUIA, and thus are still having their growing pains. The main rivals of ECNM have been UTHC and Saddle Cross, where in football they open and close their season every year, respectfully. Malpais State is somewhat of an in-state rival, but the lack of athletic performance in Gallup has led to a more milquetoast competition among the schools and fanbases.

An updated version 2 can be found here.

• Like 6

The second team from Arizona ...

gr8cSWP.png

Colors

- Copper

- Valley Gold

- White

Logos

- Emblem: Based on the Oro Valley seal.

- Primary: Updated coati logo enclosed in an oval, similar to the Florida Gators or the Missouri Tigers.

cGr8M4O.png

iZ4Pu9a.png

OxIALBj.png

OhrHEiL.png

Spoiler

After World War II, nearby Tucson experienced a huge population boom. Along with the influx of residents, returning soldiers began enrolling through the G.I. Bill and the University of Arizona was being overrun with applicants. In 1950, Arizona Southern College opened its doors in order to relieve UA and was fast-tracked to become a university within the next five years. In 1954, the school did achieve university status and the athletics teams began playing against other university squads. Due to the lower requirements to get in, local athletes began choosing Southern over nearby UA and ASU. This culminating in the biggest upset in Arizona Southern history in 1959 when the football team defeated Arizona State 14-10 in week 1. After the 1959-1960 season, ASU and UA pressured the state legislature to disband the athletic programs at Arizona Southern, ending in a $11.5 million payment (over $114 million today) by the two schools paid to Southern and an additional $1 million to the Border Conference to release Arizona Southern from conference obligations. The agreement barred university sponsored athletics for 50 years at Arizona Southern and allowed immediate transfer of athletes to other schools along with immediate eligibility, many of whom transferred to Arizona and Arizona State. Just before the AUIA was formed, Arizona Southern was able to begin playing, however, the school opted to wait a few years until proper renovations could be made to the facilities that had laid vacant or rarely used for the past 50 years. The 2012 season saw the first play of official Coatis athletics since 1960.

All of the venues were constructed prior to the athletics hiatus, the oldest being the baseball stadium having being built prior to the construction of the school in 1926 and being named after the nearby Honey Bee Canyon. The football stadium and arena were completed in 1953 and all three venues have experienced expansion and contraction in capacity and improvements in amenities to achieve the current capacities. The uniforms are all inspired by geometric Native American art patterns and the football, basketball, and baseball teams honor the pre-hiatus teams by wearing throwbacks for select games against select teams (most commonly rivals). The colors have always been copper and gold, however football used to use metallic gold instead of athletic gold like all other teams.

Spoiler

Previous Designs

jY7yeqh.png

302tsQx.pngspacer.png

yAKdnHN.png

• Like 3

As much as I love the idea of a coati face logo, I think your coati paw is a lot stronger. They are an EXTREMELY hard animal to duplicate just because they look so odd. If you flip the paw to the primary, which I see that it is already being used a lot more than the face, I think the overall package will be improved. I'd also beef up some of the linework on that face logo as well, but overall another really fun look! IMO coatis are one of the more underappreciated southwestern critters I can think of, glad to see them represented🙂

• 2 weeks later...

The sister school to BYU, Deseret University ...

eypuATG.png

Colors

- Deseret Blue

- Honeybee Yellow

- White

Logos

- Seal: State of Utah beehive, seven point star to represent religion and God

- Primary: Similar to BYU's "Y-oval" logo. D surrounded by seven 7-pointed lines

- Secondary: Honeybee which represents the missionaries that Deseret's student population consists of, also references what Deseret means, Honeybee

- Tertiary: 7-pointed star

Football:

vgFDRdq.png

Field

- Classic field design to match classic uniforms. Stadium built in years leading up to football teams debut in 2011.

Uniforms

- When Deseret and UA was coming up with the uniforms leading up to the first season. They decided to look at some of the most iconic uniforms in American football, landing on Notre Dame and the Dallas Cowboys. They came up with golden lids and golden pants with throwback Cowboys numbers. In 2015, UA added seven sublimated stripes to the helmets and shoulder caps.

Basketball

9kjMB8q.png

Court

- The Ebe Pavilion was originally built as the school auditorium, which was replaced in 2003 and was converted in 2010. The court borrowed from the simplicity of Duke's classic court design, having been the same since 2011.

Uniforms

- Like with football, basketball emphasized a classic look with pinstripes and DESERET across the chest.

Hockey

9gMEFoX.png

Uniforms

- The hockey uniforms kept the seven stripes and looked towards the Ottawa Senators "O" jersey. The home and away first saw play in the first season, while the alternate was first warn in 2017 and maintained the seven stripes on the sleeves, but excludes any white, and was an attempt at a fauxback.

Baseball

50s6lY0.png

Field

- Also built in 2010, the field crew went through many field designs over the first few years until settling on the simple 7-pointed star in the outfield.

Uniforms

- The uniforms originally were plain and only had the seven stripes on the socks. In 2013, UA added the seven stripes onto all four jerseys. The yellow hat can be worn with either alternate jerseys and the blue can be worn with all.

• Like 4