American Union of Interscholastic Athletics (Football Updates 10/15)

kb105

Named for the early 20th-century social and education movement, Chautauqua. The nickname Rays plays into the festival spirit.

SpjQFJV.png

Colors

- Sky Blue

- Sunshine Yellow

- Balloon Red

- White

Logos

- Emblem: Depiction of the Chatauqua festival held in Wytheville every year.

- Primary: Taken from the university emblem, shaped like a picture window.

- Secondary: Same as the primary logo and the university emblem, but in the shape of an "A" and without the hot air balloon.

- Partial: The hot air balloon from the primary and emblem.

VvKEFXl.png

KXgwDpt.png

0vTv5L6.png

ej2mXTU.png

• Like 3

• kb105 changed the title to American Union of Interscholastic Athletics (App Chau 12/16)

I think if you reverse the blue and red, it would work better because the dark jerseys are still quite light. Keep up the good work 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

On 11/24/2021 at 8:30 PM, kb105 said:

Took a break during my football season, which unfortunately ended sooner than I hoped, but at least I was able to start working on more concepts. Without further adieu, the last team in the Old 8 Conference hails from the Parkersburg, WV area and is named for the state fossil, Jefferson's Ground Sloth.

TqkRnrx.png

Colors

- Moss Green

- Sloth Brown

- White

Logos

- Emblem: Monochrome UB to match the athletics branding (think Baylor)

- Primary: Two sloth claws grasping

- Secondary: UB lockup

- Tertiary: Primary and Secondary mashup

ZuscOzZ.png

wBzmuo6.png

nrM46rZ.png

ofTULfG.png

So my apologies from the top since I've only really been following this series for the concepts themselves and I haven't read all the backstories. But I'm curious: any reason you chose to highlight Blennerhassett in this concept? (Does Parkersburg have it's own school in this series, for instance?) I ask because people don't really refer to anywhere using "Blennerhassett" as a placename (even though it's technically a census-designated place). There's Blennerhassett Heights which overlooks the island or Blennerhassett Middle School (to which about a sixth of the kids in the county go), but otherwise, most people from around there would say they're from Washington, South Parkersburg, Lubeck, or else that they "live on Blennerhassett Heights".  I'm interested because I grew up in Parkersburg and I think it's kind of neat that someone would pick out Blennerhassett of all the various placenames around there.

I think the colors are really nice, and they avoid the color dichotomy that Parkersburg has based on its high schools. (PHS is a red-first school and Parkersburg South is a navy-first school. And some people wear those colors year-round to show their allegiance or alma mater, etc. While the rivalry is just that: a high school rivalry, I can hear some old cranks I know complaining if ever a higher-level team like a college or pro outfit based in Parkersburg used either red or navy. Ha.) I'm not entirely sold on the mascot given that the fossil was found in Monroe County (which is about as southeast you can in West Virginia; not terribly far from Durbin, actually) and has only been the state fossil for roughly 15 years. I suppose it depends on how old the school is.

While it would be a pain to get there, I also appreciate that you put the arenas on the island itself. Haha. Any reason there's a notch in right-center field in the baseball stadium?

• Like 1

The idea is that the main campus is on Blennerhassett Island, around the estate that is actually there. There would be some college buildings in Parkersburg and the surrounding area. The stadiums being on the island leads to the only of its kind ferry service to games and it’s very own “fan navy”, similarly to Neyland Stadium and McLane Stadium.

The sloth was picked because there was a state tie-in as you mentioned, but also because there is no sloth-themed nickname in any major sports branding that I know of. It just happened to be used for Blennersburg because I needed a school opposite Blackhurst, and the Parkersburg area was a large enough and without an existing college.

• Like 1

Seeing as Hancock is located in the portion of Maryland that is less than two miles wide and on top of a dormant volcano, the name Border Mile University and the mascot of the Vulcans was born. 

aYQNINJ.png

Colors

- Magma Orange

- Obsidian

- Smoke Blue

- White

Logos

- Emblem: Erupting volcano on a banner

- Primary: An anvil-volcano hybrid that is erupting.

- Secondary: A swinging hammer that makes up both a B and a M in its swinging trail. It pays homage to the the Vulcan mascot (Roman god of blacksmithing and volcanoes) and the importance of the railroads in western Maryland, which were forged and laid with similar hammers.

- Wordmark: The main wordmark used by the school's teams. The Vulcans font is inspired by the base of an anvil.

i7wMx9S.png

YY6XrUr.png

xK7VeNm.png

D7ftdZ4.png

Border Mile was proposed in 2015 to serve the northwestern portion of Maryland and was set to begin classes in 2019. Hancock was chosen as the site, specifically a 758 acre piece of land west of the I-70 & I-68 junction, as it was the cheapest proposal for the state and had ample access to main highways. Additionally, it close enough to Washington, DC that its cyber security and computer science programs could benefit the government while not straining the already abundant amount of traffic. The construction of the campus went over time and the start date was moved back to fall of 2020, when the athletics would begin as planned. However, the COVID-19 pandemic delayed construction further and the athletics complex construction was abandoned so that academic and residential buildings could be built in time for the new school year. The football team did not field a team during the 2020 season and the basketball and hockey teams began the first few months with an away only schedule while the stadiums and arenas were being completed.

In November, a dormant volcano was uncovered underneath a sidewalk in Hancock and this led to the mascot of the school, Vulcans. The basketball and hockey teams began play without a mascot and wore basic orange and white uniforms, respectfully. Adidas gave them a unique striping pattern so that they did not have too much of a templated look, but only so much could be done with production being halted for much of the year. After the mascot was decided on, the Vulcans wordmark was created and applied to the home uniforms in time for the first games of January when the basketball team christened the new arena followed by the hockey team 3 days later. The logo package was rolled out at halftime of the basketball game and new uniform concepts were furiously being made inhouse by the graphic design department. Adidas was able to provide new uniforms for the 2021-2022 seasons, but the placeholder uniforms worn in 2021 were kept as alternates and football added their own version as well after positive fan feedback.

U3vLPYb.png

As mentioned before, the stadium was pushed back multiple times during construction. It was finally completed in the summer of 2021, just in time for the inaugural season. Dutrow Family Stadium officially holds just over 38,000, but can hold over 40,000 with standing room. The field is a few feet below ground level and the lower bowl starts six feet above ground and are all chair back seats. The upper decks are all bench seating are accessed by ramps underneath those stands. The North endzone has one of the two video boards and also houses the main entrance where boosters and the team enters for the game. The southeast corner hold the visitors locker room and the southwest corner holds the football complex, which includes the football locker room and the weight room, training room, and a cafeteria for all athletes.

• Like 4

• kb105 changed the title to American Union of Interscholastic Athletics (Border Mile 12/30)
20 hours ago, kb105 said:

Seeing as Hancock is located in the portion of Maryland that is less than two miles wide and on top of a dormant volcano, the name Border Mile University and the mascot of the Vulcans was born. 

aYQNINJ.png

Colors

- Magma Orange

- Obsidian

- Smoke Blue

- White

Logos

- Secondary: A swinging hammer that makes up both a B and a M in its swinging trail. It pays homage to the the Vulcan mascot (Roman god of blacksmithing and volcanoes) and the importance of the railroads in western Maryland, which were forged and layed with similar hammers.

- Wordmark: The main wordmark used by the school's teams. The Vulcans font is inspired by the base of an anvil.

h9krDNF.png

YY6XrUr.png

xK7VeNm.png

D7ftdZ4.png

I think the Hockey Unis would be cleaner which just the Volcano

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

On 2021-12-30 at 10:33 PM, kb105 said:

aYQNINJ.png

Colors

- Magma Orange

- Obsidian

- Smoke Blue

- White

Logos

- Secondary: A swinging hammer that makes up both a B and a M in its swinging trail. It pays homage to the the Vulcan mascot (Roman god of blacksmithing and volcanoes) and the importance of the railroads in western Maryland, which were forged and layed with similar hammers.

h9krDNF.png

YY6XrUr.png

xK7VeNm.png

D7ftdZ4.png

Can you give us backstories for the university’s and their stadiums?

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 3:53 AM, TheSquirrel said:

Can you give us backstories for the university’s and their stadiums?

If I get the time to, I might create some histories for the schools and I am going to try my hand at creating "blueprints" for the stadiums, similar to what @raysox did for his NASCAR racetrack revitalization project a few years ago, as I have an interest in engineering and architecture and think it would make these fictional programs come more to life.

Now onto the next school.

Being on the shores of the Appomattox River, which is split into two for the majority of its path leading to Petersburgh, Virginia, is the Split River Protectors. Nicknamed for the multiple civil rights leaders who pastored at near by historical churches, the lion mascot was chosen for the biblical connotation for protecting.

1v67lpc.png

Colors

- Garnet

- Crimson

- White

Logos

- Emblem: The towers of two of the oldest black churches in the country and the centers of the Civil Rights movement in Petersburg, Gillfield Baptist Church (left) and First Baptist Church (right)

- Primary: A Lion

- Secondary: A cockade, referencing the cities "Cockade City" nickname given to them during the Revolutionary War.

- Tertiary: A vertical SR lockup, also seen in the secondary.

pOCkCS9.png

EshsULK.png

F1frWIU.png

FoUhNmf.png

Split River began as a community school in the Pocahontas Island community of Petersburg in the early 1800s. With the funding of Sandy River Baptist Church, the Sandy River Community Schoolhouse helped educate the children of the church and the surrounding community, as well as teaching illiterate adults at night. After a portion of parishioners split from Sandy River Baptist to form Gillfield Baptist in Petersburg proper, the funding was cut from Sandy River Baptist, closing the school down temporarily.

In 1820, First Baptist Church had just moved in from Lunenburg and sought to establish some outreach in the city, primarily in the free black population. After hearing of the fate of the Sandy River Community Schoolhouse, First Baptist had found its first outreach program. When Gillfield learned of First Baptist's plans, they pledged to help restart the school many of the younger members were educated at. Since Sandy River Baptist had ceased the funding originally,  the name was changed to the Split River School, both as a slight to Sandy River and as a nod to Pocahontas Island "splitting" the Appomattox River. The school now educated children and young adults during the day and runaway slaves at night and did so up to and during the Civil War.

With Petersburg being so close to the Confederate capital of Richmond and its relatively large size, it was very important strategically for both the Union and the Confederacy, thus becoming a target for the Union's Overland Campaign of 1864. During the Siege of Petersburg, the schoolhouse was used as a field hospital. After the end of the siege and the subsequent end of the war, the school resumed educating children, including newly freed slaves. However after Reconstruction ended, the school was a target of numerous attacks at night, when adult former slaves were attending classes. Ultimately the original building was burned down in 1901 during a terror attack. The community school was never rebuilt, as the consensus was that it would only attract more attacks.

Not too long after the world wars, the US Government began building military instillations around Petersburg. The state of Virginia wanted to create a school in the area to serve these military personnel with the rise of the G.I. Bill's college education program and the relatively steady growth of the city leading up to the 1960s. The location of the old schoolhouse was chosen, as the only other development in the area was and is the wastewater treatment facility and was right near the turnpike. When the campus was constructed, the wastewater facility was moved and the sports facilities were placed on that plot and the surrounding plot east of the turnpike. Additionally, the school dammed the portion of the river south of the peninsula up to Harrison Creek. The campus is built in the Federal architectural style, which is seen throughout the city.

wVxRgFL.png

The football stadium named after John Mercer Langston and Wyatt Tee Walker. It is positioned with the field running west to east and the main entrance facing south. The locker rooms are located in each endzone, with the home being connected to the Athletic Booster Complex located in the west endzone and accessed via the "Prowl Path" where the Protectors walk through their fans on the way to the stadium. The two endzone both feature patios that lead to field level seats for family, boosters, and high-ticket payers, which are accessible via circular ramps on either side of the structures. The west patio features tables for dining while the east endzone features a pool deck and has the scoreboard located directly behind it, but outside of the stadium. The north stands hosts the student section, the "Appomattox Maniax" in the middle , right behind the opposing players, and is demarcated with the "Split Stripe" seating configuration, which corresponds to the color of the shirts of  the students in that section. The south stands is three tiers: the lower bowl, the upper deck, and the press box/suites. The lower bowl mimics the north side stands in configuration while the upper deck only spans about the length of the field and the press doxes only going from goal-line to goal-line. The upper deck and the press boxes also enjoy a rather unobstructed view of the the river and the neighboring Colonial Heights community on the opposite shore.

• Like 5

• kb105 changed the title to American Union of Interscholastic Athletics (Split River 1/3)

I updated the Split River post with a background history and the explanation for the football stadium. I'll periodically go back to the other posts and update them with their backgrounds as well as make more stadium blueprints when I get the chance. I hope the stadium looks good and realistic, as I tried my best to keep in accurate proportions.

• Like 3

• kb105 changed the title to American Union of Interscholastic Athletics (Split River Update 1/5)
10 hours ago, kb105 said:

I updated the Split River post with a background history and the explanation for the football stadium. I'll periodically go back to the other posts and update them with their backgrounds as well as make more stadium blueprints when I get the chance. I hope the stadium looks good and realistic, as I tried my best to keep in accurate proportions.

Amazing

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

XFQTiAq.png

Colors

- Aquilla Green

- Olde White

- Almost Black

Logos

- Emblem: Shield resembling the coat of arms of Bel Air superimposed by an arrowhead.

- Primary: A S and a bow; an abstract representation of a person shooting a bow and arrow.

- Secondary: A script Scott's, the S is the same from the primary.

- Tertiary: An arrowhead

LnVgvSy.png

upMwGce.png

eFgWYt9.png

4OTIJUx.png

When Aquilla Scott was planning his town on his inherited land, he set aside about 400 acres for a college in the north eastern portion. After the Civil War, the college was finally built on the planned plot and on an additional 53 acres from the surrounding land.

The college grew to about 1,500 students by the 20th century, but stayed at or around that number up to the 1970s. Beginning in the '80s, the college began expanding their range of degrees and finally obtained university status in the late 1990s. The school opted to not change their name, as they wanted to maintain the old timey name that calls upon the original name of Bel Air, Scott's Old Fields.

Sports became sponsored by the school in the 1980s after more than a decade of growth. The name "Archers" has been used since the inception and has two tie-ins to the school and the university. The name references the Bel Air Armory, which is resembles  medieval castles that were protected by archers, and John Archer, the first recipient of a medical degree on the American Continent.

R5y5kuf.png

Completed in 1997, the 7/8ths bowl-shaped stadium is mostly built beneath the ground level. The capacity was originally set at 35,000 and was increased to 40,000 when Ole' Scott's joined the AUIA. The current capacity is actually a reduction from the 57,500 that was set during a stretch of 5 straight trips to the DMV conference championship game from 2012-2016 (winning in 2013 and 2015-16). The reduction was made to renovate the stadium prior to the 2017 season to upgrade the bathrooms, concessions, press box suites, locker rooms, and making all of the seats chair backed. Also in the renovations, new video-scoreboards were installed in the north and south endzones. The north endzone features a curved video board, spanning sections 209-213 and approximately 45 feet high. The south endzone scoreboards are 89 feet wide and 20 feet high, but standing and additional 15feet above the ground on stilts. The south endzone also features a grass berm that houses the twin scoreboards as well as a rock-scape in the shape of the arrowhead. The exterior is made of Port Deposit granite and is built in the Scottish Gothic Revival architectural style, like the rest of the campus and the Bel Air Armory. The scale for the stadium is about 1/1038.66128.

• Like 3

• kb105 changed the title to American Union of Interscholastic Athletics (Ole' Scott's 1/15)
On 1/17/2022 at 3:51 PM, HobbesTHero said:

Looks great! I really like the old timey feel!

I appreciate it! With the long history of Bel Air and the fact that there haven't been too many traditionally design schools lately, I wanted to go that route. Also, the colors of that kelly-esque green and what was originally going to be silver called for such a design. And then, when I switched it to green and cream, I knew that simple striping, and maybe some slight sublimation was the way to go. 

On a side note, I just updated the Archers with their football stadium. Let me know what you think and if there is anything I should change or address.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

sqgZUpN.png

Colors

- Black Cherry

- Blossom Green

- White

Logos

- Emblem: Shield from the seal of Cherry Hill Township and a cornucopia with cherries coming out.

- Primary: The head of a Komodo dragon

- Secondary: Two black cherries with a CH monogram.

- Wordmark: Geometric wordmark; inspired by the Eragon movie poster.

aZoDlnO.png

54vk9Mp.png

ldUnVez.png

nMdoUqz.png

After Cherry Hill Township multiplied its population from the 1940s through the 1960s, the New Jersey State legislature granted the township a college, to be named Cherry Hill College, that was to begin classes in 1979. Athletics were started in 1985 under the name Pickers, tying into the name of Cherry Hill, and used a red and green color scheme, similar to the New Jersey Devils. In 1993, the college obtained University status, having experienced massive growth in it's short history.  Along with the changes to the university, the athletics were changing, too. The red was darkened to a deep maroon color and the green became neon, as was the norm in the 90's. The mascot was also changed to the Komodo dragon, in reference to the 1990 film, The Freshman where Matthew Broderick's character is tasked with delivering a Komodo Dragon to Cherry Hill in part of a FBI sting operation. In 2017, the university bought Locustwood Memorial Park and a section of homes between Warren Ave and Fulton St and Graham Ave and Wynnwood Ave. The former section of homes now houses the football stadium and the park is open to the public and houses some agricultural labs, namely a research green house and the veterinarian rescue center. Along with this land acquisition was the university being bordered by Marlton Pike, which has numerous Korean-American owned business. Signs in Hangul, the Korean alphabet,  are common place. The athletics program has specialty jerseys that pair the Black cherry with celadon green, the color of Goreyo pottery and porcelain from 12th century Korea. The design also comes from the different goryeo pieces. For the main uniforms, a Komodo Dragon scale pattern was image traced from this image and recolored into a black cherry color palette and the pant stripe for most of the uniforms is inspired by the tail of the Komodo Dragon.

• Like 1

• kb105 changed the title to American Union of Interscholastic Athletics (Cherry Hill 1/29)
  • 4 weeks later...

ZojVFBf.png

Colors

- Harrison Orange

- Spade Yellow

- Fort Stone Grey

- White

Logos

- Emblem: Plain wishbone-C

- Primary: Eastern Spadefoot Toad in the shape of a card Spade

- Secondary: Wishbone-C with a dropshadow

- Wordmark: uses the shape of the C, turned 90 degrees

JZsNMmZ.png

B5Kcdt2.png

7BNxU5y.png

9DwIiso.png

From 1875 to 1960, Dayton, Virginia was home to Shenandoah College (founded as Shenandoah Seminary and now Shenandoah University). It moved to nearby Winchester and a new campus was already being built for an agricultural focused school to complement the nearby teachers college, Madison College, in Harrisonburg. Due to being about 5-6 miles apart, many students would take classes on either campus and this led to a heated rivalry, particularly in athletics when both began programs around 1970 (for Madison, the female sports were already established, only male sports were new) In the first couple of years, Cooks Creek had more success Madison moved to Division I while Cooks Creek stayed put. In 1997, Cooks Creek was elevated to Division II as the school experienced growth and expansion for academics and a decade plus of success in numerous programs. Although they continued success into the new century, they were never able to move into Division I as now named James Madison blocked their acceptance for fear it would hurt their blossoming football dynasty. After nearly 15 years of trying, Cooks Creek ended their pursuit of Division I athletics and left the NCAA completely to join the AUIA as one of the most developed programs in the league.

The teams at Cooks Creek have been called the Spades since they began as a nod to the main curriculum and as a tongue-in-cheek reference to the man who was to be the first president, Amos G. Borlls, was replaced after he was caught in an affair and was accused of having an alcohol and gambling addiction. The wishbone-C was the original primary mark, before being relegated to secondary status in 2004. In 2004, the school underwent a major rebrand where a dark slate blue-grey and a new shade of orange were introduced to reference the first settler of the town, Daniel Harrison, and the historic home of his family, Fort Harrison. A new primary logo was also introduced depicting the longtime mascot of an Eastern Spadefoot Toad in the shape of a spade from a deck of cards. The wishbone-C also was given a drop shadow in 2019 when Adidas redesigned the uniforms with a retro inspired pattern based on the shape of the C-logo. 

• Like 2

• kb105 changed the title to American Union of Interscholastic Athletics (Cooks Creek 2/29)