RH's NHL Redesign.

RHdesigns

So during the current stay at home order in place I've decided to sit down and take a crack redesigning the NHL's uniforms A-Z. This is some of my first concept work I've ever done in my 10 years of designing as a hobby so I would love some constructive criticism to help me refine my skills. The template that is the basis of the entire series was created by Avi S. and Ryan H. (No relation) and edited in many cases to fit my need for the work I wanted to do, that template can be found here. My presentation for the concepts was inspired by a few redesign series I stumbled across browsing the forums credit to those series for giving me some direction on how I wanted to show off the work I've done. That being said, with the way I want this series to go I made a conscience decision to not include gear when redesigning the teams, I found adding gear cluttered my presentation and made it look too busy, my focus is only on the sweaters. 

Now on to the actual designs.

Anaheim Mighty Ducks:

spacer.png

For this concept, I decided to bring back the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, I've never been a huge fan of the new Ducks branding and I really appreciated the Ducks retro third jersey, that's what this concept is really based around. I brought back the hated Anaheim script as a third because I've never personally thought it was as bad as people made it out to be.

Arizona Coyotes:

spacer.png

Bringing back the Kachina in a big way with this set, the Kachina pattern is so individual to the Coyotes identity it feels like featuring it more prominently gives the team some individuality rather than having their current more basic look. The Alternate sweater in this set is actually based on the jersey that the Kachina Coyote is wearing and it's a good way to get the Coyotes a purple accented look while also maintaining a more quaint professional style. 

There's a lot of cool things going on in these first two sets! I'll break my comments into Pros and Cons+Suggestions.

Ducks:

Pros:

-- YES to the Mighty Duck logo!

-- I like the direction you went with the shoulders on the home and road, it looks sharp. I'd argue it looks a bit better on the home, though.

-- I thought about the black home jersey being a con, and you could still play with changing that if you want, but the pattern and colors of the stripes do look really good against the black base. Definitely looks good on the white jersey as well.

Cons+Suggestions:

-- The top-most stripe (silver on the home, eggplant on the road) I'd argue is too thin. I'd suggest having it be the same width as the stripe next to it. It's particularly the home jersey where it doesn't work, the silver needs to be thicker to properly separate the eggplant from the black.

-- The shoulders are still a pro, but as I said, it looks better on the home than on the road. Maybe the road could use two colors on that stripe, like the Blues do?

-- The alternate just isn't doing it for me. The shape of the script is so short and long that the jersey really needs hem stripes to fill that space. I'd also look at the width of the thin eggplant-silver-eggplant stripes. Especially if you want to have eggplant and black touching, I think they need to be thicker so the eggplant doesn't get lost and bleed into the black base.

-- Just a technical note (since you said you haven't done much concept work previously), the box around the numbers on the alternate should go away in your final version, and whether or not you show the outline of the nameplate is up to you but should be consistent. It also makes it obvious that the scale of the numbers is way different between your home/road set and the alternate; to my eye, I think it may be the home/road numbers that are too big, but maybe they need to get smaller and the alternate's numbers bigger, and meet somewhere in the middle.

Coyotes:

Pros:

-- The Kachina pattern looks excellent, no surprise there.

-- So does the striping pattern underneath the Kachina pattern. Good colors and good widths.

-- Recreating the logo-coyote's jersey as an alternate is a fun idea!

Cons+Suggestions:

-- Seeing a home jersey that's black instead of red is weird... But I think I can give it a pass since the alternate is red.

-- I think the collars need more color than the thin inner stripe, especially if the NHL-logo area is a different color than the rest of the collar.

-- The sand-colored Kachina pattern gets lost against the white away jersey. Try moving the black stripe from the hem and cuffs to be above the Kachina stripe to separate it from the white.

-- The purple on the alternate just isn't working as is. It's an original thought, but consider taking a cue from the logo and separating it from other colors with black. It really, really clashes with both the red and the sand.

I know the Cons have more text to them than the Pros, but it's really just the inclusion of suggestions that bloats the wordcount. Your designs are really polished and show a lot of originality. Keep 'em coming!

4 hours ago, WLD42 said:

There's a lot of cool things going on in these first two sets! I'll break my comments into Pros and Cons+Suggestions.

Ducks:

Pros:

-- YES to the Mighty Duck logo!

-- I like the direction you went with the shoulders on the home and road, it looks sharp. I'd argue it looks a bit better on the home, though.

-- I thought about the black home jersey being a con, and you could still play with changing that if you want, but the pattern and colors of the stripes do look really good against the black base. Definitely looks good on the white jersey as well.

Cons+Suggestions:

-- The top-most stripe (silver on the home, eggplant on the road) I'd argue is too thin. I'd suggest having it be the same width as the stripe next to it. It's particularly the home jersey where it doesn't work, the silver needs to be thicker to properly separate the eggplant from the black.

-- The shoulders are still a pro, but as I said, it looks better on the home than on the road. Maybe the road could use two colors on that stripe, like the Blues do?

-- The alternate just isn't doing it for me. The shape of the script is so short and long that the jersey really needs hem stripes to fill that space. I'd also look at the width of the thin eggplant-silver-eggplant stripes. Especially if you want to have eggplant and black touching, I think they need to be thicker so the eggplant doesn't get lost and bleed into the black base.

-- Just a technical note (since you said you haven't done much concept work previously), the box around the numbers on the alternate should go away in your final version, and whether or not you show the outline of the nameplate is up to you but should be consistent. It also makes it obvious that the scale of the numbers is way different between your home/road set and the alternate; to my eye, I think it may be the home/road numbers that are too big, but maybe they need to get smaller and the alternate's numbers bigger, and meet somewhere in the middle.

Coyotes:

Pros:

-- The Kachina pattern looks excellent, no surprise there.

-- So does the striping pattern underneath the Kachina pattern. Good colors and good widths.

-- Recreating the logo-coyote's jersey as an alternate is a fun idea!

Cons+Suggestions:

-- Seeing a home jersey that's black instead of red is weird... But I think I can give it a pass since the alternate is red.

-- I think the collars need more color than the thin inner stripe, especially if the NHL-logo area is a different color than the rest of the collar.

-- The sand-colored Kachina pattern gets lost against the white away jersey. Try moving the black stripe from the hem and cuffs to be above the Kachina stripe to separate it from the white.

-- The purple on the alternate just isn't working as is. It's an original thought, but consider taking a cue from the logo and separating it from other colors with black. It really, really clashes with both the red and the sand.

I know the Cons have more text to them than the Pros, but it's really just the inclusion of suggestions that bloats the wordcount. Your designs are really polished and show a lot of originality. Keep 'em coming!

Wow, I appreciate the extensive breakdown, I'll play around with your suggestions and see what I can make out of them, I believe the more teams I've done the more finished my quality has become so a lot of the technical issues are beginning to resolve themselves as I go through the series. Comparing when I started with Anaheim to my most recent teams the consistency and quality are really a world apart now.

Boston Bruins:

spacer.png

This set is heavily inspired by the the Bruins 1991-1992 alternate uniforms. For the alternate sweater I decided to dust off the 2009-2010 winter classic look giving them a light off white based third with a modern twist. I designed a second version of the third jersey that is shown below, I wasn't quite sure which one I liked more so let me know!spacer.png

These designs are pretty nice and great ideas, however I feel there's still a little to work on execution-wise. The stripes are too far down the arms, they should be more centered. As well, the back and sleeve numbers could be bigger. These changes will improve the cleanliness of your designs. That being said, the designs themselves are all solid!

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

3 hours ago, NoE38 said:

These designs are pretty nice and great ideas, however I feel there's still a little to work on execution-wise. The stripes are too far down the arms, they should be more centered. As well, the back and sleeve numbers could be bigger. These changes will improve the cleanliness of your designs. That being said, the designs themselves are all solid!

Appreciate the constructive criticism, ultimately that's the goal in doing the entirety of the NHL I feel the more deigns I make and the more I can tweak and alter my designs based off of technical criticism the better my concepts will get, and it's technical advice like yours that is the key for me to improve! So once again thank you. 

4 hours ago, RHdesigns said:

Boston Bruins:

Any chance for the infamous Pooh bear to return on the thirds?

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

Archived