Recommended Posts

On 4/23/2020 at 2:44 PM, coco1997 said:

 

FWIW, I tried to make a red Cubs jersey but just couldn't swing it. C&C appreciated

Yeah, I figure a powder blue jersey would be more accepted than a red one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the 79-89 Red Sox, I pictured that the "BOSTON" script would look similar to your 63-71 Red Sox road concept, though the number font would be changed.  On a side note, I never liked those 80s Red Sox road set as they looked like a poor man's Yankees and the number font didn't match the classic home set.

 

Just thought of another red jersey that wasn't: The 1979-1985 Indians.  They already wore a navy jersey w/gray pants on the road (79-82 as alternate, 83-85 as primary as the all-gray uniform was scrapped).  The ideal red jersey would be worn at home games.

 

Another thought on the 80s Cubs.  You could mix the the royal blue road jersey with the home white pinstripes as an alternate home uniform but that wouldn't make any sense.  It would be like if a team wore its gray road jersey (or in some cases powder blue) and wore it at home with the white pants.  It would look stupid.  Then I thought of another idea.  Since red is not an option (despite being a secondary color), how about a powder blue alternate for the 82-89 Cubs.  A powder blue jersey/white pants combo for games at Wrigley sound like a good idea at first. However, it becomes problematic when you consider the Cubs in this combo against the Expos, Phillies (pre-89), Braves (pre-87), and Cardinals (pre-85).  Powder Blue vs Powder Blue (even with the Cubs wearing white pants) is not exactly a great idea for contrast.  Then again, MLB let the Astros wear cream/off-white on the road for over a decade.  So the next best option is to wear the powder blue jersey /white pants combo as a road alternate.

 

Not sure if the White Sox still do the "Halfway to St. Paddys" promotion where they change the color of their pinstripes/numbers/scripts from black to green.  Several teams, such as the Reds, Phillies, and Red Sox, wear green versions of their uniforms during spring training but the White Sox promotion happens during the regular season.  I was thinking, what if the White Sox had done Halfway to St. Paddys in say, 1963, 1971, 1976, 1982, or 1987.  This is optional as this is more of a specialty jersey than a true alternate uniform.

 

Just thought of yet another optional jersey, the infamous "Turn Ahead the Clock" jerseys of 1999.  The following teams did not participate: Cubs, Blue Jays, Rangers, Expos, Astros, Reds, & Dodgers. What would a TATC jersey for those teams would had looked like.  The Yankees, on the other hand, *did* "participate" as George Steinbrenner had a clever response when asked whether or not the team was wearing a TATC jersey, implying that what the Yankees normally wear *were* their future jerseys.  Again, these are optional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2020 at 9:28 AM, disman00911 said:

For the 79-89 Red Sox, I pictured that the "BOSTON" script would look similar to your 63-71 Red Sox road concept, though the number font would be changed.  On a side note, I never liked those 80s Red Sox road set as they looked like a poor man's Yankees and the number font didn't match the classic home set.


Here's my take on a '79-89 Boston road set. I don't think I ever realized the Red Sox switched to block numbers for a time:

RED SOX ROAD ALT (1979-89)
Red-Sox-1979-89-Road-Alt.png

 

On 5/25/2020 at 9:28 AM, disman00911 said:

Just thought of another red jersey that wasn't: The 1979-1985 Indians.  They already wore a navy jersey w/gray pants on the road (79-82 as alternate, 83-85 as primary as the all-gray uniform was scrapped).  The ideal red jersey would be worn at home games.

 

Good catch. Just to nitpick, it should actually 1978-85.


INDIANS HOME ALT (1978-85)

Indians-1978-85-Home-Alt.png

 

On 5/25/2020 at 9:28 AM, disman00911 said:

Another thought on the 80s Cubs.  You could mix the the royal blue road jersey with the home white pinstripes as an alternate home uniform but that wouldn't make any sense.  It would be like if a team wore its gray road jersey (or in some cases powder blue) and wore it at home with the white pants.  It would look stupid.  Then I thought of another idea.  Since red is not an option (despite being a secondary color), how about a powder blue alternate for the 82-89 Cubs.  A powder blue jersey/white pants combo for games at Wrigley sound like a good idea at first. However, it becomes problematic when you consider the Cubs in this combo against the Expos, Phillies (pre-89), Braves (pre-87), and Cardinals (pre-85).  Powder Blue vs Powder Blue (even with the Cubs wearing white pants) is not exactly a great idea for contrast.  Then again, MLB let the Astros wear cream/off-white on the road for over a decade.  So the next best option is to wear the powder blue jersey /white pants combo as a road alternate.


Ok, so a few options for the Cubs. The first one couldn't be more obvious: Just give the '82-89 a traditional gray road uniform:

CUBS ROAD (1982-89)
Cubs-1982-89-Road-Gray.png

 

...This way their blue road jersey becomes their official home/road alt.

 

The second option is a powder blue alt as you suggested. You're right that it would get confusing seeing it worn against opponents who wore powder blue road unis in the '80s, but on its own merits I think it's a great look: 

 

CUBS HOME ALT (1982-89)
Cubs-1982-89-Home-Alt.png

 

On 5/25/2020 at 9:28 AM, disman00911 said:

Not sure if the White Sox still do the "Halfway to St. Paddys" promotion where they change the color of their pinstripes/numbers/scripts from black to green.  Several teams, such as the Reds, Phillies, and Red Sox, wear green versions of their uniforms during spring training but the White Sox promotion happens during the regular season.  I was thinking, what if the White Sox had done Halfway to St. Paddys in say, 1963, 1971, 1976, 1982, or 1987.  This is optional as this is more of a specialty jersey than a true alternate uniform.

 

To my knowledge the Sox stopped wearing their Halfway to St. Patty's unis a few years ago, which is damn shame because the green pinstripes are a great look. Since the Reds were the first team to wear green in celebration of St. Patty's Day in 1978, I decided to start with the '76-81 Sox. I also added orange for the full Irish flag effect:

WHITE SOX HALFWAY TO ST. PATTY'S DAY ALT (1978-81)

White-Sox-1976-81-Halfway-to-St-Patty-s-

 

WHITE SOX HALFWAY TO ST. PATTY'S DAY ALT (1982-86)
White-Sox-1982-86-Halfway-to-St-Patty-s-

WHITE SOX HALFWAY TO ST. PATTY'S DAY ALT (1987-90)

White-Sox-1987-90-Halfway-to-St-Patty-s-

 

Thanks again for your feedback @disman00911 and everyone else! I'll have the Brewers up soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I didn’t think about this till now, but any chance of a Colt .45s alternate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good job on the 80s Red Sox.  Side note, The lack of red on the original road jerseys also annoyed me.  Forgot to mention that.

 

Thanks for adding the 78-85 Indians.  Thought the Indians still wore the caveman-like font uniforms in 78.  My mistake.

 

Didn't think you would go all-gray on the the 80s Cubs. I thought that you would had given them a non-pinstriped white alternate jersey that matched with the white pants worn with the blue road jersey.  Nice job!  I think the red numbers would look better with a blue trim.  The powder blue concept is great too.  

 

Incredible job on the White Sox St. Paddys uniforms. The 82-86 jersey is the best.  I like the touch of orange as green/orange is a color scheme not seen in MLB.

 

I thought of another concept you could do: a light blue alternate for the 1997-2001 Angels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2020 at 7:49 PM, Yee Yee Go 'Stros! said:

Sorry I didn’t think about this till now, but any chance of a Colt .45s alternate?

 

Drats, I had the Colt .45s prepared and completely forgot to post them when I got to the Astros. So yep, here are the Houston Colt .45s!

COLT .45s HOME ALT (1963-64)

Colt-45s-1962-64-Home-Alt.png

 

COLT .45s ROAD ALT (1963-64)

Colt-45s-1962-64-Road-Alt.png

 

On 5/25/2020 at 9:28 AM, disman00911 said:

Just thought of yet another optional jersey, the infamous "Turn Ahead the Clock" jerseys of 1999.  The following teams did not participate: Cubs, Blue Jays, Rangers, Expos, Astros, Reds, & Dodgers. What would a TATC jersey for those teams would had looked like.  The Yankees, on the other hand, *did* "participate" as George Steinbrenner had a clever response when asked whether or not the team was wearing a TATC jersey, implying that what the Yankees normally wear *were* their future jerseys.  Again, these are optional.

 

This is definitely something I've thought about doing at some point. Maybe if I feel inspired enough at the end of this project I'll revisit this idea but I won't make any promises right now. It's probably something that would deserve its own thread.

 

11 hours ago, disman00911 said:

I thought of another concept you could do: a light blue alternate for the 1997-2001 Angels.

 

The Angels had a navy alternate with light blue/periwinkle sleeves in '97, so I whipped up a solid periwinkle alt. I also got around to doing the red Angels alternates you requested.

ANGELS HOME ALT (1989-92)

Angels-1989-92-Home-Alt.png

 

ANGELS HOME ALT (1993-96)

Angels-1993-96-Home-Alt.png

 

ANGELS HOME ALT (1997-2001)

Angels-1997-2001-Home-Alt-2.png

 

C&C appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really digging the Colt .45s home alt set. The stirrups really put it over the top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job as always.  Really love the 89-92 red Angels jersey. Also thanks for adding the light blue 97-01 Angels jersey.  Colt 45 orange jersey looks sharp too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, BayBaseballFan said:

Really digging the Colt .45s home alt set. The stirrups really put it over the top.

 

10 hours ago, disman00911 said:

Great job as always.  Really love the 89-92 red Angels jersey. Also thanks for adding the light blue 97-01 Angels jersey.  Colt 45 orange jersey looks sharp too.

 

Thanks, guys!

 

Up today are the Brewers!

BREWERS HOME (1970-71)
Brewers-1970-71-Home-Alt.png

 

BREWERS ROAD ALT (1970-71)
Brewers-1970-71-Road-Alt.png

 

BREWERS HOME ALT (1972-77)

Brewers-1972-77-Home-Alt.png

 

BREWERS ROAD ALT (1972-77)
Brewers-1972-77-Road-Alt.png

 

BREWERS HOME ALT (1978-89)
Brewers-1978-89-Home-Alt.png

 

BREWERS HOME/ROAD ALT (1978-89)
Brewers-1978-89-Home-Road-Alt.png

 

BREWERS HOME ALT (1990-93)
Brewers-1990-93-Home-Alt.png

 

BREWERS HOME/ROAD ALT (1990-93)
Brewers-1990-93-Road-Alt.png


BREWERS HOME/ROAD ALT (1994-99)
Brewers-1994-99-Alt.png

 

C&C appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must say I'm glad the Brewers didn't succumb to mix and match syndrome during the double knit era. All of these look great as fan gear, but holy crap do they look awkward as actual uniforms.

 

Everything looks like it should. I would only suggest that the 1990 unis say Milwaukee instead if it's supposed to be a road alt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Giants fan in my early 30's, I never really paid much attention to the Brewers until they came over to the National League in '98. That said I have an affinity for those navy blue, green and gold sets of the 90's. IMHO, far superior to what they've had the last two decades. But to the point - I really like the green-based alternates. The pseudo Notre Dame vibe makes it feel even more Midwestern. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job on all of these. 

 

I really like that red mid-90s Angels jersey...maybe it could be seen as a bit Red Sox-y, but let's face it, the CA logo and that wordmark are pretty awesome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BayBaseballFan said:

As a Giants fan in my early 30's, I never really paid much attention to the Brewers until they came over to the National League in '98. That said I have an affinity for those navy blue, green and gold sets of the 90's. IMHO, far superior to what they've had the last two decades. But to the point - I really like the green-based alternates. The pseudo Notre Dame vibe makes it feel even more Midwestern. 

 

I definitely would have preferred they stuck with that set rather than the god awful stuff they just got rid of. I know its a time most Brewers fans want to forget, but the green set coincides with the years I attended the most games.

 

Kinda makes me wish this green jersey actually existed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2020 at 7:54 PM, NicDB said:

I must say I'm glad the Brewers didn't succumb to mix and match syndrome during the double knit era. All of these look great as fan gear, but holy crap do they look awkward as actual uniforms.

 

Everything looks like it should. I would only suggest that the 1990 unis say Milwaukee instead if it's supposed to be a road alt.


Thanks! I prefer the "Brewers" script from those years, but I get that it would make sense to use "Milwaukee" on the road. 
 

On 5/28/2020 at 11:05 PM, BayBaseballFan said:

As a Giants fan in my early 30's, I never really paid much attention to the Brewers until they came over to the National League in '98. That said I have an affinity for those navy blue, green and gold sets of the 90's. IMHO, far superior to what they've had the last two decades. But to the point - I really like the green-based alternates. The pseudo Notre Dame vibe makes it feel even more Midwestern. 


Thanks! Green is criminally underused throughout MLB so I too wish the Brewers had a green alt during those '94-99 years.
 

On 5/29/2020 at 10:48 AM, WSU151 said:

Great job on all of these. 

 

I really like that red mid-90s Angels jersey...maybe it could be seen as a bit Red Sox-y, but let's face it, the CA logo and that wordmark are pretty awesome. 

 

Thanks! 

Quick post today with the dearly departed Montreal Expos:

EXPOS HOME ALT (1969-91)
Expos-1969-91-Home-Alt.png

 

EXPOS HOME/ROAD ALT (1969-91)
Expos-1969-91-Road-Alt.png

EXPOS HOME ALT (1992-2003)

Expos-1992-2003-Home-Alt.png

EXPOS HOME/ROAD ALT (1992-2003)
Expos-1992-2003-Road-Alt.png

 

C&C appreciated. The Mets are up next!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brewers - The yellow jerseys are well done, especially the 72-77 yellow alternate.  Also like the 90-93 blue jersey and the green 94-99 jersey.

 

Expos - Great job on the Expos.  Both of the red jerseys are surprisingly good.  The blue jersey are also solid.  The Expos actually wore a blue jersey like that as a practice uniform from the late 90s/early 00s but with a red hat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2020 at 9:58 AM, disman00911 said:

Brewers - The yellow jerseys are well done, especially the 72-77 yellow alternate.  Also like the 90-93 blue jersey and the green 94-99 jersey.

 

Expos - Great job on the Expos.  Both of the red jerseys are surprisingly good.  The blue jersey are also solid.  The Expos actually wore a blue jersey like that as a practice uniform from the late 90s/early 00s but with a red hat. 


Thanks!

Today is a BIG post featuring the New York Mets! (CC: @JH42XCC)

METS HOME ALT (1963-77)
Mets-1963-77-Home-Alt.png

 

METS HOME/ROAD ALT (1963-77)
Mets-1963-77-Road-Alt.png

 

METS HOME ALT (1978-82)
Mets-1978-82-Home-Alt.png

 

METS HOME/ROAD ALT (1978-82)
Mets-1978-81-Road-Alt.png

 

METS HOME ALT (1983-84)
Mets-1983-84-Home-Alt.png

 

METS HOME ALT (1985-90)
Mets-1985-90-Home-Alt.png

 

METS ROAD ALT (1985-87)
Mets-1985-87-Road-Alt.png

 

METS HOME ALT (1991-92)
Mets-1991-92-Home-Alt.png

 

METS ROAD ALT (1988-92)
Mets-1988-92-Road-Alt.png

 

METS HOME ALT (1993-94)
Mets-1993-94-Home-Alt.png

METS ROAD ALT (1993-94)
Mets-1993-94-Road-Alt.png

 

METS HOME ALT (1995-97)
Mets-1995-97-Home-Alt.png

 

METS ROAD ALT (1995-2012)
Mets-1995-2012-Road-Alt.png

 

METS HOME ALT (1998-2011)
Mets-1998-2011-Home-Alt.png

 

METS HOME ALT (2013-Present)
Mets-2012-Present-Home-Alt.png

 

METS HOME FAUXBACK (2020-Present)
Mets-2020-Present-Home-Alt.png


It took me a while to get through the Mets because while their look has remained fairly consistent since the '60s, they've still made some noticeable changes over the years, adding (and then removing) racing stripes, frequently playing with their road script, and then of course there was that experiment with black in the late '90s-early 2000s that everyone loved.

For the '98-'11 home set, I figured a sleeveless look might have been something the Mets would've experimented with, right in the midst of their BFBS debacle and at the time when sleeveless unis were all the rage around the league. The present day fauxback was inspired by Pete Alonso's recent plea on Twitter for his team to resurrect the black look. Re-coloring the Mets' pullover era racing striped jersey in solid black makes for an interesting combination of eras design. 

C&C appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work for the Mets (and overall, of course). Every design is really solid, but I think the '20 and '98 ones are really unique and make them stand out from the rest of the Majors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Victormrey said:

Great work for the Mets (and overall, of course). Every design is really solid, but I think the '20 and '98 ones are really unique and make them stand out from the rest of the Majors.

 

Thanks!

I hope everyone had a great weekend. Next up are the Kansas City/Oakland A's!

KANSAS CITY A's HOME/ROAD ALT (1963-67)

Athletics-1963-67-Alt.png

 

OAKLAND A's HOME/ROAD ALT (1968)
Athletics-1968-Road-Alt.png

 

OAKLAND A's HOME/ROAD ALT (1969-71)
Athletics-1969-71-Alt.png

 

OAKLAND A's HOME ALT (1987-92)

Athletics-1987-92-Home-Alt.png

 

OAKLAND A's ROAD ALT (1989-93)

Athletics-1989-93-Road-Alt.png

 

OAKLAND A's HOME ALT (1993-2010)

Athletics-1993-2010-Home-Alt.png

 

OAKLAND A's HOME ALT (2010s-Present)

Athletics-2010s-Home-Alt.png

 

The last concept is my attempt at an updated BFBS style design, using Kelly green in place of the A's regular forest green, which makes for some better contrast than their original black jerseys. Let me know what you think!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This evening we have the Philadelphia Phillies:

PHILLIES HOME/ROAD ALT (1963-69)

Phillies-1963-69-Alt.png

 

PHILLIES HOME/ROAD ALT (1970-72)

Phillies-1970-72-Alt.png

 

PHILLIES HOME/ROAD ALT (1973-91)

Phillies-1973-91-Home-Road-Alt.png

 

PHILLIES HOME ALT (1992-Present)

Phillies-1992-Present-Home-Alt.png

 

PHILLIES ROAD ALT (1992-Present)

Phillies-1992-Present-Road-Alt.png

 

As always, C&C is appreciated. The Pirates are next!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mets - Pretty much what I expected to Mets to look like had they adopted alternate uniforms during those seasons.  I like the orange jerseys, especially the 63-77 version.  Good job on the 2020 fauxback that combines elements of the 80s racing stripes and the late 90s/2000s BFBS uniforms.  Would look better if the pants had matching racing stripes but the Mets don't racing stripes on their current uniforms.

 

Athletics -  Good job on the Athletics.  I'd figured that they would one of the harder teams to create alternate jerseys as they had actually worn alternate jerseys during most of the 70s and 80s.  I ;ike the 68 & 69-71 green jerseys.  The 93-2010 jersey is also cool.  I agree that kelly green works better with black than forest green did regarding the black jersey.  I hated the original black jersey the A's wore in 2000 as black and darker shades (like forest green) don't mesh very well.

 

Phillies - I like the addition of powder blue on the 73-91 maroon jersey as the Phillies wore powder blue those years (except 89-91, when they went back to gray).  The red 92-present jersey is what I expected a Phillies alternate jersey would look like.  The blue road jersey is also well-done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.