MLB New Look (Pirates Done)

drewbothwell

Happy quarentine everyone. Last night I was scrolling through MLB shop and saw these beauties:spacer.png

I absolutely love these. I think these could be my favorite alternate uniforms in the MLB. I just love how the black script pops off the orange. Anyway I decided the do a little rebrand for the Giants (and possibly more teams) based on this gorgeous script that I think is very underused. I am not a Giants fan at all (besides this jersey of course), but being a Diamondbacks fan, we play the Giants a LOT during the course of the season I would love to see that script more. I have the primary logo done to start and basically I took the main logo from 1958-1967, updated some colors and the script and added a silhouette of the Golden Gate Bridge, although in my opinion it looks a lot like the Warriors logo. I also made a version with the bridge replaced by the skyline of San Francisco, but that reminded me of the Mets. Anyway no more explanation, here is the logo I have so far. Uniforms coming soon.

spacer.png

I understand it's based on the old logo, but given the drop shadow, I think that this would work a lot better with the script centered on the ball. That might involve shrinking it, and rotating the ball a tad. 

I'm also not sold on the black outlines on the seams. 

That said I agree that this script is underused, and it looks much better in orange with black drop shadow than the black & gold from the jersey!

22 hours ago, vtgco said:

I understand it's based on the old logo, but given the drop shadow, I think that this would work a lot better with the script centered on the ball. That might involve shrinking it, and rotating the ball a tad. 

I'm also not sold on the black outlines on the seams. 

That said I agree that this script is underused, and it looks much better in orange with black drop shadow than the black & gold from the jersey!

Something like this? I kept the black outline on the seams for 2 reasons; 1. The ideal look in my mind the uniforms and logos would not have orange touching cream, so it doesn't bleed too much and 2. The seams get lost in the cream ball and the black really highlights them. I Have the logo without outlines on the seams done if you would like to see as well.

spacer.png

Happy Easter! I finished up the Giants uniforms last night and here they are! 

Home

I brought back the cap logo from 1983-1993 as I felt that the curved and less sharp corners fit better with the script. Other than that it is pretty straight forward. Cream does not touch orange, so everything pops a bit more.

spacer.png

Road

For the road I used the script that is used on the official dugout jackets, took the tail off, and added the drop shadow to continue with that brand. Used a black bill on the cap because in my opinion, grey road jerseys in baseball should have darker colors used more than the home (if possible). Everything else is pretty much the same as the home.

spacer.png

Home Alternate

Orange alternate for home Fridays much like they already do. I adjusted everything to match the brand. I also added a home alternate cap that I'm not sure how I feel about haha.

spacer.png

Road Alternate

I kept the general idea that the Giants currently have for the road Sundays and altered it by adding the new logo along with the same striping as the road, but just added the piping.

spacer.png

Home Alternate Black

Again using the same general idea as a current Giants uniform, but just updated to fit my brand is the black home alternate. Pretty straight forward.

spacer.png

Road Alternate Black

This is about the only uniform that I am not sold on. I made the SF script grey with a black outline and orange drop shadow, and made the numbers to match. Also added another alternate cap with a grey outline to match the grey on the jerseys and pants.

spacer.png

Spring Training Home

For the Spring Training uniforms I am making the lighter color the home uniforms and the darker the road. Removed the drop shadows for a simpler look. The logos are (top) the general 2021 Cactus League logo in team colors and (bottom) a Spring Training exclusive with the California state outline with the Golden Gate Bridge inside it. Finally I added a sublimated pattern inside the numbers on the back like the 2018 Spring Training jerseys, but with a pattern based off the Arizona flag.

spacer.png

Spring Training Road

Basically the opposite of the home spring training.

spacer.png

Thanks for viewing! I am currently working on the Twins, so they will be up in a few days.

• drewbothwell changed the title to MLB New Look (Giants Done)

These are fantastic! Love all of these for the Giants!

Home/Away: Both look great! That San Francisco script is simply incredibly and now I'm ashamed they don't currently use it.

Alternates: I don't think you need new caps for the alternates. I think the normal home and away caps would be just as effective. Have you tried swapping the grey on the road black jersey for cream? I think that'd look really slick and might fix the misgivings you currently have with the look.

Spring Training: Don't most teams just have one uniform for spring training? If so, I think your orange uni with the black Spring Training cap is a winner.Keeps a color pop while putting a new hat logo out there for fans

On 4/12/2020 at 3:23 PM, GT Designs said:

That’s an amazing redo! Looking forward to MN!

Thank you! Minnesota will be up tonight!

9 hours ago, bcon_731 said:

@drewbothwell

These look great, especially the away with the grey/orange wordmark! Looking forward to see what you do with the padres

Thank you! I have generated a random list for the teams, so I don't know for sure when they will be done, but I have to say I am looking forward to working on them!

4 hours ago, JB Designs said:

These are fantastic! Love all of these for the Giants!

Home/Away: Both look great! That San Francisco script is simply incredibly and now I'm ashamed they don't currently use it.

Alternates: I don't think you need new caps for the alternates. I think the normal home and away caps would be just as effective. Have you tried swapping the grey on the road black jersey for cream? I think that'd look really slick and might fix the misgivings you currently have with the look.

Spring Training: Don't most teams just have one uniform for spring training? If so, I think your orange uni with the black Spring Training cap is a winner.Keeps a color pop while putting a new hat logo out there for fans

Thank you as well! I used your suggestion for swapping the cream for the grey on the road alternate and I like it. As for the Spring Training uniforms, I am giving each team a home and away uniform just for more uniforms and in theory jerseys and hats for fans to buy!

spacer.png

2 hours ago, drewbothwell said:

Thank you! Minnesota will be up tonight!

Thank you! I have generated a random list for the teams, so I don't know for sure when they will be done, but I have to say I am looking forward to working on them!

Thank you as well! I used your suggestion for swapping the cream for the grey on the road alternate and I like it. As for the Spring Training uniforms, I am giving each team a home and away uniform just for more uniforms and in theory jerseys and hats for fans to buy!

spacer.png

Thank looks wonderful! I’d buy that black alt in a second 

2 hours ago, JB Designs said:

Thank looks wonderful! I’d buy that black alt in a second 

Good to hear! That's the goal haha! 

Up next on the random list we have the Twins. The Twins in my opinion have been so close to some of the top uniforms on my list in the past, but then they added the gold a few years ago. I actually don't mind it on the white jersey and on the red and blue caps, but the red jersey and blue jersey with the gold trim are absolutely terrible IMO. The "Twins" script and "Minnesota" script are a bit different in regards to the font and arch. For my concept I removed gold completely and replaced it with powder blue. The Twins used powder blue as a road uniform in the 70's. This uniform was actually a huge inspiration for me in making the new look Twins. I also adjusted the "Twins" word mark and made into a script that uses the T  and the underline (that is still under WIN) from the current word mark and an updated cursive from this word mark. I think it does a good job of combining eras and it also matches the "Minnesota" script. As for the logos I updated the script and colors of this logo, I also took the T from the script and added a new C to create an updated cap logo. I also made an update of this logo, but it only made it onto a Spring Training cap.

spacer.png

Home

Pretty straight forward here. Like I said I used inspiration from the 70's uniform and especially the striping, I just replaced the white stripe with powder blue.

spacer.png

Road

Basically the home jersey, but on a grey jersey and pants, with the Minnesota script and one solid color cap.

spacer.png

Home Alternate

Easily my favorite of the bunch!

spacer.png

Road Alternate 

Powder blue accent overload! Not too sure about this one yet.

spacer.png

Blue Alternate (Home and Away)

Another one of my favorites from the set. A nice and simple uniform.

spacer.png

Powder Blue

Of course with all the teams in 2020 adding powder blue uniforms (including the Twins) I had to put one in here! This one is directly based off the 70's uniforms linked in the beginning, but this has the updated script.

spacer.png

Spring Training Home

Much like the Arizona teams in this series, the Florida teams will have a print in their numbers as well! Instead of sun rays, there are palm trees.

spacer.png

Spring Training Road

Not too much to say here. Just another navy blue jersey

spacer.png

Thanks again for viewing! Pirates should be up in the coming days!

• drewbothwell changed the title to MLB New Look (Twins Done)

I feel like the Twins have been undergoing an identity crisis as of late and have a bunch of jersey without any sort of cohesion. That being said, this does a much better job of making the uniforms match and feel like they are part of a set.

Up next we have the Pirates. I remember seeing this hat in a store and falling in love with the logo. The colors, not so much. That is why I reintroduced it with updated colors. At the beginning of the Pirates redesign, I actually considered bringing back the red that they wore as alternates in the 90's and early 2000's. I tried it out and couldn't really make it work. That being said this set has a lot of 90's inspiration. Here is Pittsburgh!

Home

All I did here was reverse the colors on the text and numbers and add the new logo as a sleeve patch.

spacer.png

Road

Same changes as the home, but brought back the "Pittsburgh" arched font. As much as I love the script, I wanted to keep some consistency with the home. I also brought back the grey hat that was worn 1997-2000, but reversed the colors to match the jersey. In my mind this hat would not be worn every game they wore the greys, but it is just another option.

spacer.png

Home Alternate

Like I said before, I love the "Pittsburgh" script, so I had to put it in somewhere right? Well here it is! Both the home and road alternates are based off the new road alternates that the Pirates revealed for this year, but they have a few minor updates. This is basically a yellow version of it. Also gave this uniform 2 hat options just because I couldn't decide which one I liked better. Also the sleeve patch is the logo the is on the hat of the pirate logo.

spacer.png

Road Alternate

Basically this uniform with my own twist on it.

spacer.png

90's Throwback Alternate?

Honestly I have no clue what to call this one haha. Like I said in the Pirates introduction, I thought about using red full time, but decided against it. Instead I just made an alternate using it. Just a little change of pace for Pittsburgh.

spacer.png

Spring Training Home

A pretty simple, but bright uniform here.

spacer.png

Spring Training Road

Another simple uniform. I have to say, this is probably my favorite hat in this series so far!

spacer.png

Thanks for viewing! Marlins will be up as soon as tonight!

• drewbothwell changed the title to MLB New Look (Pirates Done)

Definitely 3/3 so far.  I really like the return to the Giants script!  And I think the slight change in "off"-ness of the white is an upgrade.  On the home set - is there a way to alter the secondary logo on the sleeve so there is a logo contrast, not repeated scripts? Not a big deal, but just something I thought.

I really like the updated Pirate logo. Definitely love using the logo within the logo for the jolly roger images in the uniform.  It's not very often used but very effective.

Archived