mattr1198

Worst Current Sports Brands?

2 hours ago, BroncoBuff said:

2. Utah Jazz -  The franchise moved to Salt Lake City in 1979 from New Orleans - the cradle of jazz music. Utah kept the name, the Jazz brand, despite the fact the culture there is the furthest thing from "jazzy." The radio industry has long considered the SLC market as "the place where alternative formats go to die." Tastes have expanded as the years have passed, but in the 70s the market couldn't support more than one country music radio station, much less a Jazz one.

saltlakefestival.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Let's just say that SLC isn't nearly as "square" as it once was. Also, a saxophone instead of the J-note might have been the best way to update the team had the "mountains" not happened.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

It's just grousing about how NBA teams were too cheap to redesign their uniforms when they moved. Been there, done that.

The Jazz do have one of the worst brands in sports, but it's not because they're hanging onto their nickname from New Orleans. They're all over the place in colors and styles, the main color palette is too drab and lacks the purple that had always been there in some form or another. 

I think it comes down to when they moved. Any move before 1996, for the most part, meant only the city name changed, not the entire name of the franchise. There were exceptions of course, but teams like the Braves were still the Braves when they moved from Boston to Milwaukee and then to Atlanta, while the St. Louis Browns became the Baltimore Orioles. The Ravens were forced by a deal with the league to change and the Quebec Nordiques were forced to change when moving to Denver to become the Avalanche. Most other teams after 1999, the exception being the NFL Rams and Chargers, looked to create a new identity as soon as they picked a new place to move to. Prior to the obviously required name changes due to that nickname being specific to the are they were moving from, did anyone else make a significant change?

Washington Senators ---> Minnesota Twins, the other Washington Senators ---> Texas Rangers, Buffalo Braves ---> San Diego Clippers, Colorado Rockies ---> New Jersey Devils.

Then you have cases like the Hockey-Rockies and Brewers that changed their name and logos but pretty much worked with the stock they had on hand. The Brewers are blue and gold because the Pilots were and they were short on time.

9 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Then you have cases like the Hockey-Rockies and Brewers that changed their name and logos but pretty much worked with the stock they had on hand. The Brewers are blue and gold because the Pilots were and they were short on time.

To be fair, gold isn't the worst color to have when you're a team named after beer, anyways, and plenty of beer companies use blue as a color. So it worked out well, even if it was a rushed decision.

2 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

To be fair, gold isn't the worst color to have when you're a team named after beer, anyways, and plenty of beer companies use blue as a color. So it worked out well, even if it was a rushed decision.

I'm pretty sure if Bud Selig had his way, the Brewers would've been another navy/red team, right @Gothamite? Maybe it was a good thing that they had to reuse the Pilots' old designs. 

Some teams just play it too safe, and the first one I thought of was the Dallas Stars. I really dislike their whole brand. It's an attempt at a traditional uniform (Blackhawks ripoff) with a modern logo. It's very uninspiring. It reminds me of a high school trying to pull in a bunch of elements from different sets of good uniforms.

The Dolphins and the Falcons are bad too. I'm not sure if it's because teams are now using more alternates, but it seems that a lot of organizations can't figure out what fans really want. The Diamondbacks tried to use elements from like four jersey periods, and it looked like crap.

spacer.png

On 4/25/2020 at 1:43 PM, SFGiants58 said:

saltlakefestival.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Let's just say that SLC isn't nearly as "square" as it once was. Also, a saxophone instead of the J-note might have been the best way to update the team had the "mountains" not happened.

To be fair, most every major city has some form of a Jazz Festival. And even still, just because SLC has a Jazz Festival doesn't make it the birthplace of jazz that New Orleans is, let alone a culturally relevant jazz city.

14 hours ago, KJHillis said:

My Gamecocks have been flailing for years.

spacer.png

I love that script helmet though

14 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

To be fair, most every major city has some form of a Jazz Festival. And even still, just because SLC has a Jazz Festival doesn't make it the birthplace of jazz that New Orleans is, let alone a culturally relevant jazz city.

I mean, sports team names don't always have to make a whole lot of sense geographically, to be fair; take Jacksonville, where not a single wild jaguar has ever been seen, or Pittsburgh, which I'm fairly sure has neither a wild penguin population or any living pirates. 😛

Sometimes the brand equity a name has overpowers the fitting-ness of the team's location to that name.

The Jazz nickname has always interested me. Apparently there was a name the team contest, but only 100 or so people contributed it. And, well, the name options weren't that great. I guess there could be an argument that Utah Saints fits. But, as a Jazz fan, the ship has sailed on a name change. The Utah Jazz name is synonymous with the likes of Karl Malone, John Stockton, Jerry Sloan, the Finals runs, etc.

The Rockies- I love the CR cap logo plus the arched Colorado wordmark on jerseys. Its the color scheme that really gets me, love the purple and gray, but the black has to go, then again I'm never been a big fan of the color black either.