Team's Mascot Meanings (anyone know?)

Nick 1733

In 1965, Orginally the Astrodome had grass (seriously) and clear windows in the roof. The windows were painted cause the outfielders couldn't see the balls. Hense the Grass died. Astroturf came to be in 1966.

The astrodome was named after the space industry, and the team took on the name at the same time.

this information came from the astros website.

Clippers in San Diego makes perfect sense. San Diego is a MAJOR navy area. Hense the padres in camo once a year. Clipper is a name for old fighting vessels if I'm not mistaken.

Also, From the clippers site:

"Following a proposal by then-NBA attorney David Stern, the Braves were allowed to leave Buffalo after the 1977-78 season for San Diego. The deal was a complicated one, as Buffalo Braves owner John Y. Brown traded places with Boston Celtics owner Irv Levin. Levin, a California businessman, was unhappy in Boston and relished the opportunity to own a team in his home state. Levin immediately renamed the club the Clippers due to San Diego's bustling harbor and seaside locale."

And that is that.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the meaning of the following team mascot names?

49ers (NFL): California Gold Rush of 1849

76ers (NBA): Spirit of 1776

Astros (MLB): Houston is site of NASA (Johnson Space Center)

Bills (NFL): a play on the name of "Buffalo Bill" Cody

Chargers (NFL): cannot find a story on where "Chargers" came from. Original symbol was a white Charger horse

Clippers (NBA): Franchise moved to San Diego from Buffalo - clippers are sail boats which are prevalent in the San Diego area

Dodgers (MLB): Brooklyn fans were referred to as "Trolley-Dodgers"

Expos (MLB): named after "Expo '67" World's Fair in Montreal

Flyers (NHL): cannot find anything on "Flyers" although the post by "frank nitti a flyer" is the most logical thing I've seen.

Lakers (NBA): Moved from Minneapolis in the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" - aka: Minnesota

Pacers (NBA): original owners wanted franchise to "set the pace". Dual tribute to Indy 500 pace cars and harness racing industry

Packers (NFL): Curly Lambeau's NFL registration fee was donated by the Acme Meat Packing company. In return, the team wore jerseys with "ACME PACKERS" on the front in their early years and the name stuck.

Phillies (MLB): play on Philadelphia

Reds (MLB): many teams before the turn of the century were named after the colors they wore (i.e.: St. Louis Browns). Reds were originally the "Red Stockings" with the name being shortened to "Reds" around the turn of the century. Due to the connotation of the term "Reds" during the McCarthy scare of the 1950's, the name was changed to "Redlegs" through the mid-50's before going back to Reds.

Supersonics (NBA): Seattle is home to Boeing Aviation - a tribute to the region's airplane and space industries

Twins (MLB): located in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. Franchise used an interlocking "TC" on caps during first years so that St. Paul residents wouldn't be insulted by placing an "M" (supposedly for Minnesota but could be for Minneapolis) on the caps. Finally went with an "M" on the caps in 1987 after team had moved out of Bloomington and into the Metrodome in Minneapolis proper. Have since gone back to "TC" logo at home.

I want to know what they are supposed to represent.

I know a lot of this overlaps, but I figured I'd take on all of them.

The Chargers were in fact named after credit cards. :cursing: Barron Hilton (the hotel guy) was the first owner and also started Carte Blanche, the credit card. He named the team Chargers for free advertising so to speak.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

NFL Franchise Nicknames

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS - Barron Hilton agreed after his general manager, Frank Ready picked the Chargers name when he purchased an AFL franchise for Los Angeles. The Chargers played in Los Angeles in 1960 and moved to San Diego in 1961. ?I liked it because they were yelling ?charge? and sounding the bugle at Dodgers Stadium and at USC games.?

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived