The Old-Continent League of American Football project (All teams added, NOW IN BEHANCE! )

Josef_Bretones

20 hours ago, Josef_Bretones said:

Indeed, I am too fan of Real Madrid to let the name of Madrid Royals escape. Hahaha. I find it funny that you know the history of the caganers. The truth is that outside of Spain I did not know anyone who knew about it. I'll try to darken the green of the Explorers a bit before posting the next team.

Josef,

I did my PhD in Spanish literature, and have lived in Spain off and on for most of my adult life (a year at the Complutense, a year working as an English teacher, and several summers with students when I used to teach.  I was actually supposed to take my wife and nephew to explore Asturias (where my mother's family originated) this year, but COVID-19 postponed it for a year.  I even attended some Barcelona Dragons games at Montjuic when I lived in Spain back in 92.  

Anyway, back on topic.  While I prefer the darker green for Porto, it looks like others prefer the lighter.  And while I am not sure about the shoulders on your Lisbon concept, I absolutely love the colors.  It conveys an aquatic theme without being the usual mix of blues.   Nicely done.  

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is the turn of the first spanish team: Madrid ROYALS:

The name of the team is an obvious tribute to Real Madrid (my favorite team) and reflects the Spanish monarchical tradition. I wore a crown remembering the London Monarchs (my favorite NFL Europe logo). I ruled out putting Bears on the team (an animal that appears on their coat of arms) because I didn't want any name to match any other NFL (Chicago Bears) name. The team colors are an inspiration with the photo image (great royal seal), and the crown colors (of the few logos that I have not redesigned at least once since its first version). The Royals play in the stadium called: The King's Domain.

Mood board:

Royals-CCSLSC-1.jpg

Logos, wordmarks, numbers, and slogan:

Royals-CCSLSC-2.jpg

Uniforms and helmet:

Royals-CCSLSC-3.jpg

C&C welcome!

ALL-MEDALS-LOGOLYMPIAD-X.png

Guest darkpiranha
2 hours ago, Josef_Bretones said:

Today is the turn of the first spanish team: Madrid ROYALS:

The name of the team is an obvious tribute to Real Madrid (my favorite team) and reflects the Spanish monarchical tradition. I wore a crown remembering the London Monarchs (my favorite NFL Europe logo). I ruled out putting Bears on the team (an animal that appears on their coat of arms) because I didn't want any name to match any other NFL (Chicago Bears) name. The team colors are an inspiration with the photo image (great royal seal), and the crown colors (of the few logos that I have not redesigned at least once since its first version). The Royals play in the stadium called: The King's Domain.

Mood board:

Royals-CCSLSC-1.jpg

Logos, wordmarks, numbers, and slogan:

Royals-CCSLSC-2.jpg

Uniforms and helmet:

Royals-CCSLSC-3.jpg

C&C welcome!

Elegant and royal.   Helmet especially is strong.  I think you could go a little bigger with the crown on the helmet and it wouldn't be excessive.  What do the numbers in the Royals font you're using look like?  The jersey numbers are the only element that doesn't aesthetically match rest of the look.  What you have now isn't bad, but every other aspect of the identity is angular and straight.

14 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

Elegant and royal.   Helmet especially is strong.  I think you could go a little bigger with the crown on the helmet and it wouldn't be excessive.  What do the numbers in the Royals font you're using look like?  The jersey numbers are the only element that doesn't aesthetically match rest of the look.  What you have now isn't bad, but every other aspect of the identity is angular and straight.

You're right. I'm going to look for other numbers. I have always liked these because they are the ones used by the Miami Sharks in 'Any Given Sunday' (Oliver Stone, 1999). But I wasn't sure how they worked. I'm going to review it. PS: Would a redesign of the 'Any Given Sunday' teams be fine in the future ...?

26 minutes ago, ItsSlothy said:

“The King are our King” kinda doesn’t make sense.

It makes sense in Spanish. It is a phrase that shows loyalty to the king. It means that the king, with good and bad, is their leader and they owe him loyalty. I took it out of a Spanish book Adventures in the 17th century. 

14 minutes ago, Josef_Bretones said:

It makes sense in Spanish. It is a phrase that shows loyalty to the king. It means that the king, with good and bad, is their leader and they owe him loyalty. I took it out of a Spanish book Adventures in the 17th century. 

I think a better translation would be "the king is our king" if the phrase you're talking about is "el rey es nuestro rey"

Guest darkpiranha
3 hours ago, Josef_Bretones said:

Ok guys, I update the Royals panel with the corrected slogan.

Thank you!
Royals-CCSLSC-2-3.jpg

<chef's kiss>   I think this is the best one so far.  

The crown, is it based on something in particular?  It kind of looks like it could be a stadium, which if it were the Royals' actual (fictional) stadium design would be a fun detail.

3 hours ago, darkpiranha said:

<chef's kiss>   I think this is the best one so far.  

The crown, is it based on something in particular?  It kind of looks like it could be a stadium, which if it were the Royals' actual (fictional) stadium design would be a fun detail.

The crown is an interpretation of the Spanish royal crown (the one that Real Madrid has). I did it when I was not very proficient in Adobe Illustrator and this wonder came out. I thought it was funny to add the ball to the top. It is true that a stadium could be similar, but the design of stadiums is a level that I do not know if I will reach in this life. Hahaha.

Today I want to show you the last team in the Iberian Division: Barcelona SEGADORS.
Segadors is how to say 'reapers' in Catalan (the language of Catalonia) and is the title of its official hymn. In the seventeenth century there was a revolt of these reapers, peasants of present-day Catalonia, against the royal forces.
The logo is therefore two sickles forming an 'S'. The colors are those that the Catalan teams usually wear. The Segadors play at the Montjuïc stadium (former home of the Barcelona Dragons of the NFL Europe).

Mood board:

Segadors-CCSLSC-1.jpg

Logo, wordmark, numbers and slogan:

Segadors-CCSLSC-2.jpg

Uniforms and helmet:

Segadors-CCSLSC-3.jpg

C&C welcome!

Archived