The Old-Continent League of American Football project (All teams added, NOW IN BEHANCE! )

Josef_Bretones

2 hours ago, Josef_Bretones said:

Today is the turn of one of the teams that have one of the logos that I like the most: the Napoli VOLCANOES.

The name of the Italian second team was easy enough to choose. Near Naples is the Vesuvius volcano (causing the tragedy of Pompeii in 79 AD). At first I thought of representing the volcano playing with the V but I was not convinced by the result so I opted for this solution: combine the N and the V and do something in the style of American typographic sports logos. I love the result and the color combination that mixes the volcanic stone, the lava and the Mediterranean Sea. In the main jersey I have used a gradient that shows how the stone ends up turning into lava. Of course, the Volcanoes play in their stadium called: Ardente Stadium.

Mood board:

Volcanoes-CCSLC-1.jpg

Logo, wordmarks, numbers and slogan:

Volcanoes-CCSLC-2.jpg

Uniforms and helmet:

Volcanoes-CCSLC-3.jpg

C&C welcome!

I get what you are going for here, but it is hard to see the NV as a volcano with lava.  I think a few tweaks to the shape could produce a much clearer image of a volcano with a lava flow that turns into an N and a V.  The color scheme is great.  I might reconsider using a fade on the pant stripe instead of clearly delineated colors. It is really the only place where you don't keep the colors separated. 

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, WideRight said:

I get what you are going for here, but it is hard to see the NV as a volcano with lava.

I think I did not explain myself well. It meant that the first version I made of the logo was a mix of the V and a volcano. But I discarded that idea and chose this logo combining the N and V. I think I will continue working on the uniforms and the gradient.

ALL-MEDALS-LOGOLYMPIAD-X.png

Today, the next team in the Mediterranean Division went up a little earlier: the Marseille SAILORS.
Marseille is one of the most important cities in France and its port is one of the most famous in Europe, so it occurred to me that Mariners is a good name for the team based there. Little history with this. I am particularly proud of the logo and how I managed to reflect the effect of the wood. I know it gives you more detail than I usually like but in this case I am satisfied that it is a creative achievement for me. The color scheme is simple: sky blue, navy blue and boat wood color to contrast.
The Mariners play at Le Port Stadium.

Mood board:

Sailors-CCSLC-1.jpg

Logos,wordmark, numbers and slogan:

Sailors-CCSLC-2.jpg

Uniforms and helmet:

Sailors-CCSLC-3.jpg

C&C welcome!

I am an absolute SUCKER for a double blue and cream color scheme, absolutely killed the branding aspect. The uniforms are not quite doing it for me, I’m not exactly sure why but here are some scattered thoughts: 

1) Try thinning out the rope, it’s so bulky looking it looks out of place in the identity. Everything else looks thin and crisp compared to it.

2) Put an outline on the away numbers, maybe light blue?

3) Do French sailors have a history of a super identifiable or unique uniform? You could keep the rope on the helmets and pants, but having it repeated so many times cheapens it a little bit. I’d keep the thinned out rope on the helmet and pants and try something else in the uniforms. 
Overall, really nice looking!

1 minute ago, sleuthpanther said:

I am an absolute SUCKER for a double blue and cream color scheme, absolutely killed the branding aspect. The uniforms are not quite doing it for me, I’m not exactly sure why but here are some scattered thoughts: 

1) Try thinning out the rope, it’s so bulky looking it looks out of place in the identity. Everything else looks thin and crisp compared to it.

2) Put an outline on the away numbers, maybe light blue?

3) Do French sailors have a history of a super identifiable or unique uniform? You could keep the rope on the helmets and pants, but having it repeated so many times cheapens it a little bit. I’d keep the thinned out rope on the helmet and pants and try something else in the uniforms. 
Overall, really nice looking!

Thank you for your comments. French Sailors have a identificable uniform but I am preparing something else with this idea. I'm going to take into account what you tell me about the rope and the numbers and I'm going to touch up these uniforms.
Thank you!

Can I just say that the Sailors helmet and pant stripe is wonderful. I dig the color scheme as well, the double blue with the addition of the tan works wonderfully. I do wonder however if a sea green would work better though.

3 minutes ago, Skycast said:

I do wonder however if a sea green would work better though.

Probably, as you say, the sea green could be better. But in that case it might be too close to the color scheme of the Atlantics. So I took the path of a more conventional marine color scheme.

15 minutes ago, Josef_Bretones said:

Probably, as you say, the sea green could be better. But in that case it might be too close to the color scheme of the Atlantics. So I took the path of a more conventional marine color scheme.

See, there you go being all silly and such and keeping the big picture in mind while I just comment on one uniform like it's in a bubble. The double blue and tan definitely works though.

13 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

Looks awesome as always. Not sure I understand the slogan: Ahead Full. I think a more American saying would be Full Speed Ahead or Full Steam Ahead.

I looked for an image of a marine telegraph that was in English and it appeared to me like this. Maybe it was the other way around: Full Ahead.

112267960_1518464920.jpg

2 hours ago, Josef_Bretones said:

I looked for an image of a marine telegraph that was in English and it appeared to me like this. Maybe it was the other way around: Full Ahead.

112267960_1518464920.jpg

I think that just means the boat is heading straight at a fast speed. Generally people (at least in the US) say Full Speed Ahead or Full Steam Ahead

Hi.
I have taken the suggestion from @sportsfan7 and I have corrected the Sailors' slogan as it is colloquially said. I upload the update.
In a while I will upload the last team of the Mediterranean Division and the South Conference.

Sailors-CCSLC-2-3.jpg

Here we go with the 16th team of the OCLAF project. We reached the middle of the league and finished the South Conference: the Athens MIGHTIES.

This team could be the bastard son of the Titans, for the concept of Greek mythology and the Vikings for the inspiration of the logo. He will not be the last bastard son of the NFL. Looking for references I found the magnificent revision of the Vikings logo by Dane Storrusten (on the mood board) which for me is the best Viking rebrand I have seen and far exceeds the current one. Colors do not respond to a special reason. I noticed that I didn't have many teams that used the green color and it seemed to me that combining it with the yellow would work well (I know, Vikings and Packers as inspiration is the same as making a mixed team of Real Madrid and FC Barcelona but this is Europe, haha ). The logo image is the goddess Athena. Protector of Athens (that's where her name comes from). Normally it is usually represented with the helmet raised but I preferred to leave it on as a sign of being ready for battle. This is also the first team to add a secondary logo to. Despite the fact that the ray is typical of Zeus, I thought it represented very well what he meant by the name of the team. Although Athena is his main figure, he wanted to show the power of the Olympian gods.
I hope you like the result as much as I do. The Mighties play at the Olympian Arena.

Mood board:

Mighties-CCSLC-1.jpg

Logo, word marks, numbers and slogan:

Mighties-CCSLC-2.jpg

Uniforms and helmet:

Mighties-CCSLC-3.jpg

C&C welcome!

And this is the status of the league so far. Before continuing with the following conferences, I will go back to the equipment already shown to add news starting tomorrow.

002-CONFERENCE-STATUS-CCSLC.png

Guest darkpiranha
10 hours ago, Josef_Bretones said:

Here we go with the 16th team of the OCLAF project. We reached the middle of the league and finished the South Conference: the Athens MIGHTIES.

This team could be the bastard son of the Titans, for the concept of Greek mythology and the Vikings for the inspiration of the logo. He will not be the last bastard son of the NFL. Looking for references I found the magnificent revision of the Vikings logo by Dane Storrusten (on the mood board) which for me is the best Viking rebrand I have seen and far exceeds the current one. Colors do not respond to a special reason. I noticed that I didn't have many teams that used the green color and it seemed to me that combining it with the yellow would work well (I know, Vikings and Packers as inspiration is the same as making a mixed team of Real Madrid and FC Barcelona but this is Europe, haha ). The logo image is the goddess Athena. Protector of Athens (that's where her name comes from). Normally it is usually represented with the helmet raised but I preferred to leave it on as a sign of being ready for battle. This is also the first team to add a secondary logo to. Despite the fact that the ray is typical of Zeus, I thought it represented very well what he meant by the name of the team. Although Athena is his main figure, he wanted to show the power of the Olympian gods.
I hope you like the result as much as I do. The Mighties play at the Olympian Arena.

Mood board:

Mighties-CCSLC-1.jpg

Logo, word marks, numbers and slogan:

Mighties-CCSLC-2.jpg

Uniforms and helmet:

Mighties-CCSLC-3.jpg

C&C welcome!

And this is the status of the league so far. Before continuing with the following conferences, I will go back to the equipment already shown to add news starting tomorrow.

002-CONFERENCE-STATUS-CCSLC.png

This looks great.  The only nitpick is that the logo gets lost on the helmet.  Maybe a white stroke?  Or maybe just isolate one element of the logo to add to the helmet, like the plume, or part of the faceguard (of the Greek helmet).  

I have to catch up with all the great progress you have made in this series!

I like the number font update for Madrid. Angular numbers to match the wordmark looks much better. You could even make the numbers larger and the dark blue outline slightly thicker.

The double sickle Segadors logo is one of your very best ideas. Genius. Have you considered ditching the helmet stripe though? I have noticed that you like big, bold helmet stripes, which I generally prefer too, but I wonder if that particular uniform set would benefit from no helmet stripe. Especially because the logo is so strong and you have another pattern with the Catalan flag on the sleeves (which I think is a must for any team named after a Catalan symbol).

Roma is perfect. Once again, the update you made looks great. I love Napoli as well. The Miami Dolphins photo on the mood board is a good comparison. As others said, the letter and number font is sleek and gorgeous. I also like the update you made with the pants striping. You knew not to overdo the gradient, which I wish more designers would understand. Very professional.

The logos for Marseille and Athens are incredibly well-executed. I did not appreciate them enough the first time. With the larger image, you can really see the detail. The wordmarks are great for both too. The ancient Greek E is a silly little trick, but it works every time to convey a classical identity. And I have no complaints for the uniforms. I think the update you did for Marseille makes sense (a common theme from the past week is you are making really smart updates!). For Athens, you successfully combined the Green Bay Packers and the Minnesota Vikings in a way that is still unique. Very wise decision to stay away from white and green numbers or block shoulder striping that would have too closely resembled the Packers.

Keep up the great work!

On 5/1/2020 at 1:18 PM, sportsfan7 said:

Looks awesome as always. Not sure I understand the slogan: Ahead Full. I think a more American saying would be Full Speed Ahead or Full Steam Ahead.

I like "Ahead Full".  I think it sounds more typical of British nautical lingo than American, which can work for a European league. 

Guest darkpiranha
4 minutes ago, WideRight said:

I like "Ahead Full".  I think it sounds more typical of British nautical lingo than American, which can work for a European league. 

Maybe "All Ahead Full".  It's what the captain said on the historical documentary that James Cameron made, "Titanic".   All Ahead Full sounds like a chant for bringing a large group of fans together as one.  

Archived