The Old-Continent League of American Football project (All teams added, NOW IN BEHANCE! )

Josef_Bretones

I love the logo and color scheme. One thing NFL Europe did wrong and leagues in Europe continue to do wrong is have english names and not translate them into the local language. The thought process behind having an english name is basically just "it's an American sport so we need an American english name." My German friend and many of his friends hate the practice and says it limits the marketability of teams in places where English isn't as popular. Outside the small Scandinavian and low countries, the percentage of people who can speak English is capped at around 60% in Germany and Austria and is way lower as you get into Iberia and Eastern Europe. I'd suggest making marks in both English and the local language with the local language on uniforms

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Maroon&Gold said:

I love the logo and color scheme. One thing NFL Europe did wrong and leagues in Europe continue to do wrong is have english names and not translate them into the local language. The thought process behind having an english name is basically just "it's an American sport so we need an American english name." My German friend and many of his friends hate the practice and says it limits the marketability of teams in places where English isn't as popular. Outside the small Scandinavian and low countries, the percentage of people who can speak English is capped at around 60% in Germany and Austria and is way lower as you get into Iberia and Eastern Europe. I'd suggest making marks in both English and the local language with the local language on uniforms

Thank you everyone for your comments!

I agree with you that putting the names of the teams in English is a mannerism and creates a distance with the people to root the team in a Mediterranean, French or Eastern European city. Again my decision to put almost all the names in English is creative and communicative, not realistic. Creative because in this way it allows me to give unity to the entire league despite being different concepts. And communicative because I don't know all the languages (I don't know English well) and I couldn't express my concepts in a clear way. However I thought maybe it would be nice to put some slogans in your local language. In those countries with another alphabet (Greece, Russia, Ukraine, etc ...). I'm sure that will improve this project a bit. Thank you very much!

ALL-MEDALS-LOGOLYMPIAD-X.png

Honestly, that makes sense. Also, fans will be able to translate their teams name and slogan into their native language as a way to create a bond between the franchise and the fans

For example, Oslo's Slogan (We Want Your Head!) can be translated and put on team merchandise (BTW, it translate to Vi vil ha hodet!)

I love everything about this so far. I love the presentation especially; the format you used is really effective. 

One thing with the uniforms: I love the idea and I really don't have any complaints. In reality though, that pants stripe would be nearly impossible to replicate perfectly at such detail. While it looks good up close (and the wooden theme is continued, which I like), from afar it would look pretty muddled and the lesser depth and line work would be lost. IF you were to put this onto a real uniform, you probably would have to, unfortunately, simplify it a little better. You could say the same thing about the helmet stripe although it works a little better since it's at a large scale. But honestly, this is such a small nitpick that is barely worth mentioning.

As I said, this is excellent so far. I can't wait to see what you have in store for the other 31 teams. Great job so far!

Guest darkpiranha

AMAZING start to this series.  Looking forward to it all.  A couple of thoughts 

- Agreed that the EU flag being the basis for the league logo is neat, but in the real world, it would never fly with all the non EU countries, especially England.  

- I was wondering what the thought process on the football on the shield was until I saw the breakaway version and that it's supposed to have a blue outline, but it gets lost when placed over an identical blue background, rendering the football to look incomplete.  

- Logos are uniformly professional and great, but there's a bunch of them that don't feel like they are from the countries they are based in.  Oslo is perfect.  Rome and Athens both look like generic logos when I would feel they could be referencing the art styles of those countries from thousands of years of history, especially Athens that references a Greek warrior.  

But those are both minor nitpicks.  We haven't had a good new league (where it looks like the person has done 90% of the work BEFORE posting their first entry) in a good while.  Welcome aboard!

I love everything about this so far. I love the presentation especially; the format you used is really effective. 

One thing with the uniforms: I love the idea and I really don't have any complaints. In reality though, that pants stripe would be nearly impossible to replicate perfectly at such detail. While it looks good up close (and the wooden theme is continued, which I like), from afar it would look pretty muddled and the lesser depth and line work would be lost. IF you were to put this onto a real uniform, you probably would have to, unfortunately, simplify it a little better. You could say the same thing about the helmet stripe although it works a little better since it's at a large scale. But honestly, this is such a small nitpick that is barely worth mentioning.

As I said, this is excellent so far. I can't wait to see what you have in store for the other 31 teams. Great job so far!

Thank you for your comments. About the pants stripe this is the only time I have detailed so much. The rest of the stripes of the other teams are much more basic. But this time I couldn't resist making this pattern.

AMAZING start to this series.  Looking forward to it all.  A couple of thoughts 

- Agreed that the EU flag being the basis for the league logo is neat, but in the real world, it would never fly with all the non EU countries, especially England.  

- I was wondering what the thought process on the football on the shield was until I saw the breakaway version and that it's supposed to have a blue outline, but it gets lost when placed over an identical blue background, rendering the football to look incomplete.  

- Logos are uniformly professional and great, but there's a bunch of them that don't feel like they are from the countries they are based in.  Oslo is perfect.  Rome and Athens both look like generic logos when I would feel they could be referencing the art styles of those countries from thousands of years of history, especially Athens that references a Greek warrior.  

But those are both minor nitpicks.  We haven't had a good new league (where it looks like the person has done 90% of the work BEFORE posting their first entry) in a good while.  Welcome aboard!

It's a pleasure for me to be on board! Thank you!

On the political question and the sense of belonging to an organization with the image of the EU: in London, Manchester and Glasgow he won the vote in favor of remaining in the EU. Only in Cardiff in the British division did the vote for Brexit win and Turkey has spent years trying to join the EU. Anyway let's not forget that this is only fan fiction, hehe.

It is difficult to explain this because the process of creating the ball was somewhat long and boring and it has been a while. I can say that my final idea was that the ball seemed half-gloom, emerging from the blue background. In the explanation of the logo I put the outline of the design file that I put on it so that I can extract it whenever I want. About the logos, well, it is true that I have chosen an American sports style but because that was my main interest: an NFL-style league in Europe. Perhaps later (when I rest from these years of work, hehe) I could consider a series of logos in local and historical styles. It is difficult to explain this because the process of creating the ball was somewhat long and boring and it has been a while. I can say that my final idea was that the ball seemed half-gloom, emerging from the blue background. In the explanation of the logo I put the outline of the design file that I put on it so that I can extract it whenever I want.

I am very happy to see the interest that my project has sparked. It is amazing how many views can appear beyond the designer.

Good morning from Spain!

Let's go with the second team: the Copenhagen PRINCES.This city was one of the last to decide its name. I was looking a bit at her story looking for something that would make her memorable. Finally I thought that, although it is an English work, Hamlet was the prince of Denmark and that the founders of the team would want to collect his majesty. In addition, we know several teams nicknamed 'KINGS' but, at least I do not know of any called 'PRINCES'. About the logo I would like to say that I am aware that it is not as spectacular as the Invaders logo. I have done a much more basic process using a typographic logo, very common in American sports (you will have noticed that it will not be the last). In my mind was mostly Lord Farquaad's 'F' from the 'Shrek' movie (2001). And I wanted to give it that noble and medieval calligraphy character at the same time. The color choices seem very obvious to me now but at first I chose a denmark red instead of gold. I wanted to separate myself from this idea because I wanted to give it a character of its own and not so national. Royal blue and gold grandeur.

Finally I imagine the Princes stadium full of banners with the 'P' as if it were a great medieval tournament. The home of the Princes is known as 'The Palace'.

Mood Board:

Princes-CCSLSC-1.jpg

Logos, wordmark, numbers and slogan:

Princes-CCSLSC-2.jpg

Uniforms:

Princes-CCSLSC-3.jpg

I'm waiting your comments. Thank you!

17 minutes ago, Josef_Bretones said:

Good morning from Spain!

Let's go with the second team: the Copenhagen PRINCES.This city was one of the last to decide its name. I was looking a bit at her story looking for something that would make her memorable. Finally I thought that, although it is an English work, Hamlet was the prince of Denmark and that the founders of the team would want to collect his majesty. In addition, we know several teams nicknamed 'KINGS' but, at least I do not know of any called 'PRINCES'. About the logo I would like to say that I am aware that it is not as spectacular as the Invaders logo. I have done a much more basic process using a typographic logo, very common in American sports (you will have noticed that it will not be the last). In my mind was mostly Lord Farquaad's 'F' from the 'Shrek' movie (2001). And I wanted to give it that noble and medieval calligraphy character at the same time. The color choices seem very obvious to me now but at first I chose a denmark red instead of gold. I wanted to separate myself from this idea because I wanted to give it a character of its own and not so national. Royal blue and gold grandeur.

Finally I imagine the Princes stadium full of banners with the 'P' as if it were a great medieval tournament. The home of the Princes is known as 'The Palace'.

Mood Board:

Princes-CCSLSC-1.jpg

Princes-CCSLSC-2.jpg

Uniforms:

Princes-CCSLSC-3.jpg

I'm waiting your comments. Thank you!

This series has been wonderful so far. I've got a few nitpicks about the uniforms. For Copenhagen, I feel stripes should more closely reflect the numbers. Maybe add a thin white outline at the edge of the gold and blue stripes. I'd all keep a single blue outline on the away numbers instead of a double outline.For Oslo, I'd use the pale green pants for both home and away jerseys. All in all, this series has a whole lot of potential. I can't wait to see more!   

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

4 hours ago, Punchy_Gungus said:

This series has been wonderful so far. I've got a few nitpicks about the uniforms. For Copenhagen, I feel stripes should more closely reflect the numbers. Maybe add a thin white outline at the edge of the gold and blue stripes. I'd all keep a single blue outline on the away numbers instead of a double outline.For Oslo, I'd use the pale green pants for both home and away jerseys. All in all, this series has a whole lot of potential. I can't wait to see more!   

20 minutes ago, rjrrzube said:

That "P" largely disappears on the helmet. Maybe it should be blue instead. 

Thank you both for the suggestions. I think I am going to try to change what you suggest.

This series has been nothing short of fantastic so far! I'll echo the issues with Copenhagen's helmet logo and striping. Your work is great and I love including a mood board to help get into your head when designing these. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

Copenhagen turned out really nice (although it would be great if you did not delete your earlier drafts from your image hosting site so that we can look back and see your progress). A blue P seems like the right decision. Oslo is really the star of your league. Eye-catching logo. Very original color scheme. Cool striping pattern on the helmet and the pants with great texture. Nice work.

Today is the turn of the Stockholm POLARS.

The history of the name of this team does not have much mystery. Sweden is one of the coldest countries in Europe. At first I thought about calling the Polars Bears team but it didn't convince me after a while. Furthermore, one of the objectives of this project for me was to be able to summarize the concept of teams in one symbol. I've always liked that synthesis ability in the NFL: a star (Cowboys), a fleur-de-lis (Saints)...So I decided to shorten the name to 'Polars' and chose a snowflake as a symbol.

The color scheme is obvious but personally I really like that combination of night blue and ice blue. Of course the name of the stadium could not be other than WinterHell for a Game of Thrones fan like me. I hope you like it and I'm waiting your comments.

Mood board:

Polars-CCSLSC-1.jpg

Polars-CCSLSC-2.jpg

Uniforms and helmet:

Polars-CCSLSC-3.jpg

2 hours ago, Viperion101 said:

These all look pretty good, maybe this league and my British Gridiron League (shameless self-promotion) could have a sort of "European Super Bowl". 

Great idea! Maybe we could design a crossover logo of the event. Hehe

1 minute ago, neo_prankster said:

Great designs so far.

BTW, how come Frankfurt am Main doesn't have a team?

I know that American football is very successful in Germany and that is why it is the country with the most teams but I wanted it to represent other parts of Europe. I chose the three largest German cities.

I love the Polars logo, though it disappears a bit on the light blue helmet.  

The font you chose to pair with it, though, doesn't work for me.  It's a fine font on its own, but it's the antithesis of the logo itself; it's round and soft, while the logo is very angular and sharp.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived