LAWeaver

WNBA's New York Liberty unveils new logo, colors

7 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I miss the (relative) simplicity of the original uniforms...

spacer.png

Yeah, they were still templated, but at least there were a few different templates for teams to choose from. And those templates allowed for more than just two colors to be blocked in, so even those using the same templates didn't feel too similar.  Add in the wordmarks and the numbers that fit each team's identity, and it was a pretty good looking league back then.

Though I'm still bitter that they ran the ABL out of town. Go Columbus Quest!

If they're going to keep this centered logo look going, the WNBA really should put player numbers on the front of the shorts, soccer-style.

Posted (edited)

mod edit  

Edited by IceCap
take misogyny elsewhere...or better yet keep it to yourself

Posted (edited)

Ew. 

Edited by IceCap
getting rid of mod edited content

Looks good, minus all those ads.

Also, with a minor tweak, this identity is ready for the one-off, what if night as the Coney Island Soft Serves.

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Logos are lamentable, of course, but the uniforms are otherwise marvelous.  Love the color.

This is a great update.

EVk3uCCXsAQf6Oi?format=jpg&name=large

Seafoam looks so much better with black and white than it ever did with blue and orange.

This is dope, big upgrade, their merchandise should be a big hit even if WNBA isn't too popular.

Upgrade, their old look was very outdated. I wish there was a better way to have the ad's on their jersey but I understand why (I believe they operate at a loss every year, that the nba gets a tax write off for). Maybe just have the at&t and fanduel logo's without the words?

Liberty knocked it out of the park. Seafoam is the star like is should be. I like that the logo doesn’t stray too far from history, and yet manages to be modern. Even the colors on the uniform really pop.

It’s just a shame the WNBA is at the mercy of advertisers because even with a template I think they could do good work with the uniforms.

4 hours ago, jgiff17 said:

If the XFL is gone this league is right behind them IMO

Free market capitalism doesn’t apply to the WNBA and it never will. The NBA will always support them. They pretty much have to.

4 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I miss the (relative) simplicity of the original uniforms...

spacer.png

I think having Liberty and the number in black and white across the front on the seafoam jersey would look really nice but of course with the ads you can't do that...

Agreed

12 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Upgrade, their old look was very outdated. I wish there was a better way to have the ad's on their jersey but I understand why (I believe they operate at a loss every year, that the nba gets a tax write off for). Maybe just have the at&t and fanduel logo's without the words?

Actually, about half the league now makes a profit.  They’re moving in the right direction. 

Upgrade, although I wish they would have kept some orange, possibly as the flame/ball as that’s the one part That isn’t the same color on the Statue of Liberty. But I understand that with the switch from Knicks ownership to Nets that wasn’t likely. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Actually, about half the league now makes a profit.  They’re moving in the right direction. 

Oh cool, that's good to hear.

59 minutes ago, UnclearInitial said:

Upgrade, although I wish they would have kept some orange, possibly as the flame/ball as that’s the one part That isn’t the same color on the Statue of Liberty. But I understand that with the switch from Knicks ownership to Nets that wasn’t likely. 

Although it's not part of the colour palette, I would preferred the ball/flame to be gold.

6 hours ago, DEAD! said:

Although it's not part of the colour palette, I would preferred the ball/flame to be gold.

I think that would have looked sharp (and true to Lady Liberty herself), but that would have Introduced a fourth color to the palette, which is one too many. 

The Liberty have always had the too-many-colors problem. One of the great things about this update is their decision to scale back to only the essentials. 

Watching the WNBA draft, they knocked this rebrand out of the park, I want to see this color scheme more often know seeing how nice it can be

The black Sabrina Ionescu jersey for sale on the Nets' website shows a mockup with the NEW YORK wordmark instead of the Fanduel logo:

SIjersey_1_1024x1024.png?v=1587063923

Obviously it looks so much better, but I wonder if this is how the fan replicas will be sold, or if this image was posted in error.