E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to be firmly in the kelly green camp, but I've come to appreciate the midnight green. I think it works!

With that being said...I still hate the number font. I don't know if a more aggressive font that mirrors the wordmark would be the answer, or if simple block is the way to go but yeah. It's the number font I still can't get over.

5 hours ago, DNAsports said:

The point is, midnight fairs much better in matchups compared to kelly.

I’d rather see this...

spacer.png

...than this

spacer.png

What do you mean the darker green "fares much better?" I know the darker green has taken a decisive lead in popularity these past few pages.

Infrared correctly said there's no correct or proper choices, they're all subjective. True on true, because for me this throwback green is ambrosial ... 

spacer.png

I used a "dive in and swim around in the gorgeous color" imagery to describe the same feeling I get seeing these particular Chargers' colors. (I say "these particular" because it doesn't happen for every 60s Chargers pic. And that raises the issue of what effect camera equipment and image rendering has on what we see).

spacer.png

wS7MJ6T.png

6 hours ago, BroncoBuff said:

What do you mean the darker green "fares much better?" I know the darker green has taken a decisive lead in popularity these past few pages.

I used a "dive in and swim around in the gorgeous color" imagery to describe the same feeling I get seeing these particular Chargers' colors. (I say "these particular" because it doesn't happen for every 60s Chargers pic. And that raises the issue of what effect camera equipment and image rendering has on what we see).

spacer.png

So, for the bold statement, you didn’t read what I posted about how with Midnight Green, a matchup has a more visual flow to it. Compared to if it were Kelly Green, your eyes would immediately fixate on the brighter color.

Which brings me to your Chargers picture. You immediately notice the Chargers player and the Bills player becomes an afterthought. I’d bet without proper context, most people would be drawn to the powder blue and yellow and they wouldn’t notice the navy bolt on the helmet either.

The thing is, brighter more vibrant colors reigned supreme in their own era. Mainly 1960-80s with arguably heavy use in the the 70s. I don’t hate the brighter colors like the Chargers powder blue, but it’s a bit jarring when compared to a darker team like the Bills.

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

I did not notice the Eagles had a silver interior outline on their uniform numbers until today. My opinion of their current uniforms has increased a lot upon learning this.

It’s a little darker than the silver in their logo and on their helmet though, more of a charcoal. That’s usually the first thing I notice on knockoff Eagles jerseys. They always use a lighter silver. 

The only tweak the current jerseys need are to get rid of the drop shadow and silver outline on the numbers. I think white numbers with a black outline on the green jerseys and green numbers with a black outline on the white jerseys would look superb.

Kelly is fine as a throwback/alt but I wouldn't want it full time (and I don't trust Nike to not :censored: it up with some godforsaken gimmick)

YVRMUBj.png

On 4/16/2020 at 10:18 PM, IceCap said:

I used to be firmly in the kelly green camp, but I've come to appreciate the midnight green. I think it works!

With that being said...I still hate the number font. I don't know if a more aggressive font that mirrors the wordmark would be the answer, or if simple block is the way to go but yeah. It's the number font I still can't get over.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Number font is atrocious. Color is underrated and beautiful, especially metallic on the helmet.

fiowXOD.png

19 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The only tweak the current jerseys need are to get rid of the drop shadow and silver outline on the numbers. I think white numbers with a black outline on the green jerseys and green numbers with a black outline on the white jerseys would look superb.

They did that.  It does sound better, but in person, I prefer the current version by far.

21950_01_lg.jpg 13857351%5D,sizedata%5B200x400%5D&call=us-l300.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/16/2020 at 10:04 PM, mafiaman said:

Well, I was about 8 years old (1978) when I picked my favorite NFL teams on the basis of their uniforms...

1.  Miami Dolphins

2.  Philadelphia Eagles

3.  Houston Oilers

4.  Tampa Bay Buccaneers

5.  Detroit Lions

6.  Atlanta Falcons

7.  Seattle Seahawks

Wow. You kinda got screwed on the uniform front. The teams in bold looked way better in 1978 than they do today. 

BB52Big.jpg

Being someone who loves 95% of NFL throwbacks, one would think I'd be on the kelly green train for the Eagles, but I actually prefer the current colors. A Cunningham era throwback would make for a cool alternate, but if the Eagles do anything, I'd like to see them do a throwback inspired look in the current colors. 

BB52Big.jpg

4 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Honestly, the move to matte fabrics really improved the Midnight Green. It looks much clearer now! 

spacer.png

Agreed. The move to the matte fabric is what finally turned me on these uniforms. I kinda liked them before, but now I really like how the midnight green works so much better with that fabric. 

BB52Big.jpg

On 4/19/2020 at 9:50 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Honestly, the move to matte fabrics really improved the Midnight Green. It looks much clearer now! 

spacer.png

It's amazing how different the green looks now compared to when it was first introduced. I realize the lighting in these photos is obviously very different, but the green has no doubt evolved to a shade slightly closer to blue than originally.

spacer.png

The first NFL season I actually followed was in 2013. The first football game I watched in full was 2012 week 17 vs the Packers in the Metrodome so going into 2013 I had no context to the history behind teams uniforms. Not knowing anything about the Eagles I just assumed they were wearing a dark tealish color. Obviously I know better now but I was a little confused when I learned it was supposed to be green

On 4/20/2020 at 11:34 PM, Bmac said:

It's amazing how different the green looks now compared to when it was first introduced. I realize the lighting in these photos is obviously very different, but the green has no doubt evolved to a shade slightly closer to blue than originally.

Its crazy too, because the listed/print color has never changed for their midnight green but the application of it in textile has varied greatly over the years. I think its essentially an issue of the team saying "here's our color" and the manufacturer saying "this is as close as we can get to that" which obviously deviates from supplier to supplier.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

On 4/17/2020 at 4:58 AM, DNAsports said:

So, for the bold statement, you didn’t read what I posted about how with Midnight Green, a matchup has a more visual flow to it. Compared to if it were Kelly Green, your eyes would immediately fixate on the brighter color.

Okay yes ... visual flow being in some measure related to whether two specific colors blend, and complement? Definitely, I think even a slight alteration of a color can make or break a blend. A more subtle example the Buccaneers' new slightly darker red compared with their previous brighter red, and how each blends/flows with the pewter.

Recently there was talk about the merits of adding gray to the Colts royal blue, and though I didn't post about it, I thought it was all about WHAT gray. For example, this Kentucky pic seems an abomination of a color relationship - its impossible to appreciate this blue with that dull near-charcoal gray. But another gray might work.

spacer.png

Can't agree with you that the brighter Chargers colors are an era-specific style though. In fact - though I probably shouldn't admit this - the new Chargers duds are my favorite current uniforms.

wS7MJ6T.png

Archived