Let's talk about Dynasties baby

TrueYankee26

With the Last Dance documentary starting tonight now it is appropriate.

90s Bulls

Late 90s Yankees

2000s Lakers

Very loosely, 1999-2014 Spurs of the Duncan era

UConn women's hoops since the 2000s

2001-2004 and 2014-2018 Patriots

Late 2010s Warriors

2010s Alabama football

And if Clemson keeps their run up, they can be added to the list since they vanquished 'Bama twice

The modern Patriots Dynasty is one consecutive dynasty. Same coach, same quarterback, the largest gap between Super Bowl appearances was four years, 17 AFC East Titles in 19 years. 

The 90s and 00s Red Wings should count as a dynasty as well.

I always considered the Patriots 2 different dynasties. Mainly because of the 10 year gap. I don't really count the Super Bowl appearance unless they actually won it. 

But also because even with both being with Belichick & Brady, the teams were still pretty different. 

The early 2001-04 Patriots were built more on the strength of the defense with players like Ty Lay, Richard Seymour, Lawyer Milloy, Tedy Bruschi, & Willie McGinest . 

While the 2014-18 Patriots were more about offense with Edeleman, Amendola, Gronkowski, James White, LeGarrette Blount, and even Brady himself.  

07 is when they shifted more toward an offense based system with having guys like Moss, Welker, Stalworth, and finally having full confidence in Brady to sling it. 

The Patriots dynasty is one that may never be topped in the NFL.  Basically 20 years of dominance in a league where wins are hard to come by.  The Bulls dynasty is perhaps the best in a vacuum.  The competition they went against and the physicality of the game back then was something else.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, AustinFromBoston said:

I don't really count the Super Bowl appearance unless they actually won it. 

As a fan of a team that has never appeared in a Super Bowl, let alone won one:

source.gif

I think a key distinction is that there are two types of dynasties: you have the 3-5 year dynasties of complete dominance like the 80s New York Islanders or 90s Cowboys or the recent Golden State Warriors; or you have the longevity dynasties that take place over a 10-20 year run like the Spurs or Red Wings than span multiple coaches/stars/runs. Some dynasties, like the 90s Bulls, can fall into both camps: clearly you have MJ1 (91-93) and MJ2 (96-98), but at the same time, that's 6 titles in 8 years (or 8 conference title trips in 10 years).  

The Pats are one of the dynasties that fall into both camps, but in 50 years when people reference the "Patriots Dynasty," people aren't going to have to ask "which one" because they'll just know you're referring to Brady + Belichick... **knocks on wood**

1 hour ago, DTConcepts said:

80s Islanders have the best dynasty in NHL history. I know there are teams with more cups but 19 straight series wins? C'mon.

The Montreal Canadiens 10 Stanley Cups in 15 years (1965-1979) would like a word.

8 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

If Krause didn't have the Bulls locker room turn on him, what could have been? Probably more titles of course..

Krause's teams hated him even before the early 90's dynasty.  He was hated his entire career.  GMs around the league hated him, too. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

12 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Last I checked, The Bills aren't considered a dynasty just because they made four straight. 

of course not, but if they won 2 before that and 2 after that those teams would be lumped into one continuous dynasty.

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, Sport said:

of course not, but if they won 2 before that and 2 after that those teams would be lumped into one continuous dynasty.

So are the Lakers one continuous dynasty form 2000-2010?

Or are they 2 separate dynasties from 2000-03 & 2008-2010? 

Because like the Patriots they won multiple in titles in the early part of the decade, then had a large gap before winning more in the next decade. 

38 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

So are the Lakers one continuous dynasty form 2000-2010?

Or are they 2 separate dynasties from 2000-03 & 2008-2010? 

Because like the Patriots they won multiple in titles in the early part of the decade, then had a large gap before winning more in the next decade. 

I consider the Lakers the team of the 2000's in the NBA (four world titles: 2000-02, 09), but I wouldn't consider that one full real dynasty.

The 00-10 Lakers and the Pats from 01 to now are soft dynasties. Their fourth title didn't come until more than five years after their third. However, they have had continued success in between their championship years.

Best culmination of dynasty(ish) winners in the same calendar season

1998:

Chicago Bulls (Last of 6 championships in 8 seasons)

New York Yankees (Second of 4 titles in 5 year span)

Detroit Red Wings (Second of 4 cups they would in the a decade)

Denver Broncos (Back-to-back titles, Possibly another if Elway doesn't go out on top)

6uXNWAo.png

Archived