What ESPN films would you like to see made?

Krz

On 4/22/2020 at 8:48 AM, DnBronc said:

Kansas State Football.

It would start with the success the program had under HC's Bo McMillin and Lynn "Pappy" Waldorf in the 20's and early-30's. Then, it would talk about Waldorf's departure for Northwestern after one year (1934), and how he went to the College Football HOF (and the K-State program went into the dust, with just a handful of winning seasons from 1935-88).

That would set the stage for November 1988, and the hiring of Bill Snyder.

I would spend some time on that, especially the fan reaction (there is an article online where some K-State fans and alumni talked about their memories of the hiring. One person said something about the new sucker they hired to run the program. Another said something about never getting a standing ovation ever again when Bill was introduced as HC during a men's basketball game) and Bill's first meetings with the players.

Here is the article with comments: https://247sports.com/college/kansas-state/Article/K-State-football-coach-Bill-Snyder-celebrates-his-30th-anniversary-at-the-school-with-his-future-in-doubt-125589510/

Then, after that, I would get into the year by year rise of the program on the field, concluding with Snyder's legacy.

I can't believe that this hasn't been made into a 30 for 30 already. It would be great.

Bill Snyder is incredibly underrated as a head coach. The fact he came short of winning a national title doesn't even make him look like a failure but reinforces just how much he elevated the K-State football team. Consider that before he arrived, the in-state rivalry with the Jayhawks was commonly referred to as "The Toilet Bowl".

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, QCS said:

Not sure if this has been done before (and if it has please point me to it), but I'd love to see documentaries about the relocation of the Browns to Baltimore, the whole 2016 LA relocation stuff with the Rams, Chargers, and Raiders, the Hornets' relocation to New Orleans and George Shinn's trial and that disaster, and the 1995 NFL expansion process. Basically anything about controversial relocations/expansions and the process behind them.

Check out A Football Life on Cleveland ‘95, it talks all about the Browns’ last season in Cleveland.

I think a film about the Ovechkin-era Caps and all their postseason failures, culminating in the Cup in ‘18, would make for a great film. 

Some other ideas:

-Liverpool’s march to the UCL title in 2005, climaxing in the Miracle of Istanbul

-2003 NBA draft class

-This one would have to wait a while, but the Class of 2018 QB’s in the NFL will eventually make for a fascinating subject. 

spacer.png

The House of Gracie: covering the legendary Gracie family of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu from their start all the way to the present day. It'd be several episodes, detailing their early involvement with UFC, the development of their craft, and the craziness of one specific branch of the family - the children of Robson Gracie (Ryan, Renzo, and Ralph).

She's Ripe: Jennifer Capriati's relationship with her "showbiz dad" Stefano, detailing how he pushed her too far when she was too young.

Action Star: Vinnie Jones' transition from footballer tough man into character actor.

The Escalator to Failure: the story of the early-'90s Mets and their many issues.

Phoenix Rising: the tale of the '92-'93 Phoenix Suns and their many crazy stories (e.g., Richard Dumas, Oliver Miller, and Sir Charles).

Another one I thought of: The realignment of Nippon Professional Baseball in the early 2000s, from the moving of the Nippon-Ham Fighters to Sapporo to the merger of the Orix BlueWave and Kintetsu Buffaloes to the founding of the Rakuten Golden Eagles. There was a big concern that the decentralization away from Tokyo could warrant a one-league system (the Central League has always struggled compared to the Pacific League due to a lack of popular teams) and the competition between Livedoor and Rakuten to own the new team in Sendai is an interesting process given most Japanese teams require subsidies from their parent to even break even.

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, QCS said:

Another one I thought of: The realignment of Nippon Professional Baseball in the early 2000s, from the moving of the Nippon-Ham Fighters to Sapporo to the merger of the Orix BlueWave and Kintetsu Buffaloes to the founding of the Rakuten Golden Eagles. There was a big concern that the decentralization away from Tokyo could warrant a one-league system (the Central League has always struggled compared to the Pacific League due to a lack of popular teams) and the competition between Livedoor and Rakuten to own the new team in Sendai is an interesting process given most Japanese teams require subsidies from their parent to even break even.

Another one can be for the Curse of the Colonel - Hanshin Tigers' failure to win the Japan Series since their 1985 win where fans threw a statue of the KFC mascot into a river.

On 4/24/2020 at 12:46 PM, DnBronc said:

Good one. 1986 would be another draft class that they could do one about (Bias's death, drug problems with other guys, Rodman, Sabonis, etc...).

There's one on Bias called Without Bias

Archived