Arena Football Project

WideRight

So I am imagining a world where the Arena Football League was far more stable, without all the team foldings, moving, rebranding, etc.  So, a lot of the 1980's team survive until today and expansion adds new teams at different time periods.  My hope is to develop a 20 team league and to show 2021 versions of what each team could have looked like had they not been so unstable. 

First example, the Pittsburgh Gladiators, founded in 1987 and still playing in 2021.  In the sheet you will see the original logo, my updated version and my vision of what a 2020 uniform might look like.  This is the league that brought us Zubaz uniforms, so expect me to experiment a bit with oversized logos, weird pant stripes, newer style shoulder treatments, etc.  Not too insane, because I am a bit of a traditionalist, but definitely not as stodgy as the NFL would be.   

spacer.png

PS: I just noticed the lack of shoulder TV numbers.  I will rectify that and repost. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Nice start!

BTW, are you gonna finish that All American series? I kinda liked that one.

I wrapped up the AAFL in 1992.  I just lost energy on that one.  Trying not to have the same happen with the FFL, but it is tough to keep those going once the logo/uniform designs are all done. This series is not an alt-history, just logos and unis. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WideRight said:

I wrapped up the AAFL in 1992.  I just lost energy on that one.  Trying not to have the same happen with the FFL, but it is tough to keep those going once the logo/uniform designs are all done. This series is not an alt-history, just logos and unis. 

Didn’t know you felt that way. We should just collaborate them. Uniforms/logo designs is what slows me down 

6on7h5.jpg

THE Xtreme Fantasy Football League

PIT is cool, really fun helmet design! Really dont like the numbers though. I see what youre going for, but it just reads like an alarm clock to me.

DEN is awesome! Super fun, good use of the explosion without being to over the top, fun bright color scheme. All good things!

Posting this next one not because I think it is ready, but because I am just not confident about it.  Not sure I like the update on the logo, and really not sure about the helmet.

I would love some feedback.

Should I keep the RB motif?

Should I go for something more auto-focused?

Does the "motion line" star work?

Does it work on the helmet?

Thoughts? Recommendations?   The only thing I don't question is the color combo.  It is unique and very Arenaball in my mind. 

spacer.png

• Like 14

I like your presentation, it is very clean. I’m not one to comment much on football because it’s just not my area, but what you’ve presented has been refreshing. I think the Drive have been my favorite all around. The color combo brings some life to the outfit and the helmet is pretty badass for the logo only being a football player. Cant wait for more!

Fourth 1980's Arena Football Team are the Chicago Bruisers.  I picked the Bruisers over the Rush as Chicago's team for a few reasons.  I love the Bruisers name and their bulldog logo has a classic "old college" feel that I love.  I also found the Rush logo to be pretty bad.  So, what did I do here?

• Changed the colors to Navy, Sky Blue and Grey.
  • Updated the fonts used. 
  • Used the Bulldog on the helmet (The original team had "BRUISERS" written on the side similar to the old Bengals, Giants or Illini helmets.  Boring.)
  • Stuck with the 2-blues theme in the uniform.
  • Decided to mix a yoke with sleeve stripes.
  • Went pretty old school all around.  Just feels right for Chicago. 

spacer.png

• Like 7

Yet another 1988 team, one of my all time favorites, the New England Steamrollers.  With this team I decided to do the following:

1. Retain the main logo but add some grey to the orange & black and modify a few details. 

2. Change the helmet to grey (and the pants as well).  I have always loved orange, black and grey (old BC Lions uni turned me on to it.)

3. Retain the black asphalt line to the back of the helmet, but incorporate an orange line and then link to a standard central helmet stripe. 

4. Use the very tiny secondary NE shape logo as the sleeve logo (see it below the main logo).

5. Use a relatively simple stripe pattern on the orange jersey, but use a sleeve top orange block to add something a bit newer to the white. 

Eventually I may add wilder alternate uniforms, in which case a black helmet may happen. 

But for now, a standard home/away uni for the Steamrollers. 

spacer.png

• Like 8