Qualcomm Stadium Flags

The new release of the Chargers uniforms had me thinking of their days in San Diego. I was quite fond of the opposing team flags they had surrounding the upper bowl of the stadium and about a year ago I contacted the stadium to see if these were still in SDCCU stadium possession and never got a response. I also saw scoured the internet and never saw any indication of an auction. Does anyone know where these possibly could have went? I really would like to purchase one but cannot seem to get ahold of anyone. Is it likely they were just thrown away when the chargers put new flags up? I understand this is a bit niche but I would appreciate any one new something and understand if this is closed.spacer.png

Those might be long gone in a landfill. Not necessarily because the team moved, but because the team had replaced those flags with ones that were team-centric and included present and past Chargers logos, retired numbers, and championship banners as well. I think the new flags went up in 2012 or 2013. Even those might be long gone as well.

Interesting fact about the flags in that picture: those were only put up when Qualcomm Stadium hosted Super Bowl XXXVII in 2003 and had replaced the ones put up for Super Bowl XXXII in 1998. And even then, the 1998 ones only replaced the ones put up in 1988 for Super Bowl XXII. The team never bothered to replace any flags that featured dated team logos when other franchises had brand updates or anything to that effect when needed.

2 hours ago, insert name said:

Did they have MLB teams flags when the Padres would play?

Yes but only on special occassions. I seem to remember the Padres using flags for the playoffs in 1996 and 1998 as well as possibly Tony Gwynn's final game and the final game played at the stadium in 2003. For a while, they used 3 flags for retired numbers and had them hanging below the lights in left center field.

On 4/29/2020 at 7:00 PM, RETROJR79 said:

Ah, the infamous upper deck tarps from the Tom Werner days. Thankfully, those were slowly removed after John Moores bought the team in December 1994. Initially, the entire upper deck was tarped in 1994. Then in 1995, several sections of the lower level of the upper deck were re-opened and by 1996, about 8-10 sections of the upper portion of the upper deck behind home plate were re-opened until ultimately (thanks to a playoff run), all tarps were removed by the end of that season.

• 2 weeks later...

Qualcomm Stadium New Banner Flags

Here's an article from 2014 in the San Diego Union-Tribune (hopefully you can get past the paywall) about the flags that were installed which celebrated team history and replaced the generic NFL team flags. The article includes some examples of the flags that flew. Seems crazy that the team only played at the Q for three seasons with the more team-centric flags; it felt like they were there a bit longer than that.

• 8 months later...

I don’t know if anybody is still following this blog because it has been almost a year.  I have the Chargers flag that was up at the top of the stadium with every other NFL team.  Interesting story as to how I got it but am not going to elaborate unless someone responds.  Blakeoswanson@gmail.com 

43 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

That guy seems very interested in the game lol. 

I believe this photo was from the Oilers' final game in Houston. Bud Adams, the team owner, announced after the 1995 season that they were moving to Nashville starting in the 1998 season. This meant they would have 2 lame-duck years in Houston. The 1996 season only had 3 home games that drew over 30,000. The season finale drew 15,000. Adams didn't want to have to go through another season with awful attendance and support so they played the 1997 season in Memphis.

On 2/2/2021 at 11:02 AM, cajunaggie08 said:

I believe this photo was from the Oilers' final game in Houston. Bud Adams, the team owner, announced after the 1995 season that they were moving to Nashville starting in the 1998 season. This meant they would have 2 lame-duck years in Houston. The 1996 season only had 3 home games that drew over 30,000. The season finale drew 15,000. Adams didn't want to have to go through another season with awful attendance and support so they played the 1997 season in Memphis.

and they were still fighting for a playoff spot in that final year. He pissed off Houston so badly, not even a potential playoff team was enough for fans to watch.

XM4KeeA.png

On 4/21/2020 at 12:08 PM, ltjets21 said:

The new release of the Chargers uniforms had me thinking of their days in San Diego. I was quite fond of the opposing team flags they had surrounding the upper bowl of the stadium and about a year ago I contacted the stadium to see if these were still in SDCCU stadium possession and never got a response. I also saw scoured the internet and never saw any indication of an auction. Does anyone know where these possibly could have went? I really would like to purchase one but cannot seem to get ahold of anyone. Is it likely they were just thrown away when the chargers put new flags up? I understand this is a bit niche but I would appreciate any one new something and understand if this is closed.spacer.png

Interesting choice of jersey to represent Dan Fouts.  I think he only wore powder blue in his rookie year.

On 2/2/2021 at 11:02 AM, cajunaggie08 said:

As someone who attended the 96 Jags/oilers game it was without question one of the most weirdest experiences that I can remember, the atmosphere was so lethargic.  This could be compounded with my age at the time. But you could hear so much from the field which isn't that crazy now as of the 2020 season.  

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Archived