Professional League Softball: Anaheim Orange Sox 2.0

GhostOfNormMacdonald

Guest darkpiranha

Much nicer.  I also vote for the one on top.  The next thing I'd look at is the font for the PLS.  Right now, it's just a generic font that doesn't have any real character.  Just play around with a variety of fonts and styles. It should be something that even if the rest of the home plate isn't visible, you should be able to recognize the wordmark from the PLS by itself    I'd also probably shrink it just a tad so that it has a little more breathing room from the edges of the box its in.  But it's a really good progression so far.  

Alright now that I got the leagues logo squared away, its time to introduce the league and its teams. The rules for how I came up with how many teams there are and where they are are: MLB with 32 teams (expansion to Montreal and Carolina), teams that share a city only get one team (NY and CHI), A's moved to Portland, two teams with non-MLB owners (LV and IND).

YH5bbCu.png

There are 8 divisions, each with 4 teams, split into the eastern and western conferences. 

Western Conference:

California Division: ANA, LA, SD, SF

Pioneer Division: ARI, LV, POR, SEA

South Central Division: COL, DAL, HOU, KC

North Central Division: CHI, MIL, MIN, STL

Eastern Conference:

Ohio Valley Division: CIN, CLE, DET, IND

Northeast Division: BOS, NY, MTL, TOR

Mid Atlantic Division: BAL, PHI, PIT, WAS

Southeast Division: ATL, CAR, MIA, TB

I will be going in that order starting with the California Division. 

Anaheim will be posted shortly

The first team in the series is the Anaheim Orange Sox. This is the first identity I've ever made and I've only been using inkscape for a little over a week so it might be a little rough.

I took inspiration from the uniforms the Angels originally wore when they shared a stadium with the Dodgers. I took the A from the hat logo and found a font similar to what they used on their jerseys at the time. For the colors I used the TB Bucs original colors.

spacer.png

spacer.png

ANAHEIM ORANGE SOX

MLB Affiliate: Anaheim Angels 

Stadium: Disney Park

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There it is. The first team identity I've ever made. Let me know how I can improve

The name and color scheme are pretty fun and apt for Anaheim, and it all works well with the old Angels tuscan font.

I'd say the bar of the A being separated feels off, and the roundel logo has a bunch of empty space between "Anaheim" and "Orange Sox."  You could spread out the text, or maybe add sun rays from the Orange County flag in that space. You could also add an orange leaf on the top of the A for further pizzazz (kinda mirroring the Angels.) 

Good work!

Just a heads up... 

As you brainstorm team names for Professional League Softball, you could look to past teams from such real-world ventures as the International Women's Professional Softball Association and National Pro Fastpitch for inspiration. Here are some that jumped out at me.

Arizona Heat (NPF) 
Carolina Diamonds (NPF)
Chicago Ravens (IWPSA)

New England Riptide (NPF) ---> Boston Riptide
Pennsylvania Liberties (IWPSA) ---> Philadelphia Liberties
Pennsylvania Rebellion (NPF) ---> Pittsburgh Rebellion 
Philadelphia Force (NPF)
San Diego Sandpipers (IWPSA)
San Jose Sunbirds (IWPSA) / California Sunbirds (NPF) ---> San Francisco Sunbirds
Southern California Gems (IWPSA) ---> Los Angeles Gems

Washington Glory (NPF)

Looking forward to this series!

7 hours ago, YankeeBaseball0934f said:

I would maybe add front numbers to match the Dodgers and maybe sleeve stripes. Off to a good start!

I added numbers to the away. The script on the home felt like it should stand alone.

5 hours ago, vtgco said:

I'd say the bar of the A being separated feels off

5 hours ago, vtgco said:

You could also add an orange leaf on the top of the A for further pizzazz (kinda mirroring the Angels.)

Fixed both by turning the A into an "orange"

5 hours ago, vtgco said:

the roundel logo has a bunch of empty space between "Anaheim" and "Orange Sox."  You could spread out the text, or maybe add sun rays from the Orange County flag in that space.

I tried adding stuff but nothing felt right. I think the empty space is fairly consistent with roundels in the MLB (Oakland and Houston or example)

Here is Anaheim 2.0. I made a sock for the roundel and added an orange leaf to the A. I also made a sort of faux back with the sock logo

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just adding some team names from the America Professional Slo-Pitch League and the North American Softball League to those I'd previously offered up. Hopefully, they can provide some inspiration.

Arizona Heat (NPF) 
Carolina Diamonds (NPF)
Chicago Ravens (IWPSA)
Chicago Storm (APSPL)
Cincinnati Rivermen (NASL)
Minnesota Norsemen (APSPL)
New England Pilgrims (APSPL) ---> Boston Pilgrims

New England Riptide (NPF) ---> Boston Riptide
New York Clippers 
(APSPL)
Pennsylvania Liberties (IWPSA) ---> Philadelphia Liberties
Pennsylvania Rebellion (NPF) ---> Pittsburgh Rebellion 
Philadelphia Force (NPF)
Pittsburgh Hardhats (APSPL)
San Diego Sandpipers (IWPSA)
San Jose Sunbirds (IWPSA) / California Sunbirds (NPF) ---> San Francisco Sunbirds
Southern California Gems (IWPSA) ---> Los Angeles Gems

Washington Glory (NPF)

Archived