The Red Sox "B" logo

• 3 weeks later...

Every time they switched manufacturers, they got a slightly different version of the logo. 

We saw this with the Brooklyn Dodgers, too. 

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Hell, there was even a point in the 1950s when the Dodgers and Red Sox both ordered their caps from McAuliffe in Boston, who sent them both the same logo. 

spacer.png

Seems kind of funny now, in this age of digital standardized files, but back in the day teams and manufacturers were all “eh, good enough.”

17 minutes ago, _J_ said:

Not going to quote big wall of picture, but in some of those Dodgers hats that @Gothamite posted the B looks more like a 1 and a 8 smashed together than a proper B.

Some of them are more effective than others.  I'm still just kind of surprised that the club would let manufacturers dictate the cap logo.  Guess that's what happens when you're not actually selling them, and most fans will only ever see them from a distance.  "White B on dark royal blue" and that's good enough, or in the case of the Red Sox "Red and white B on navy and call it a day".

Then there are the deliberate 90s changes the Mets and Red Sox made, and honestly I think both of those were varying degrees of downgrades.

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Some of them are more effective than others.  I'm still just kind of surprised that the club would let manufacturers dictate the cap logo.  Guess that's what happens when you're not actually selling them, and most fans will only ever see them from a distance.  "White B on dark royal blue" and that's good enough, or in the case of the Red Sox "Red and white B on navy and call it a day".

Then there are the deliberate 90s changes the Mets and Red Sox made, and honestly I think both of those were varying degrees of downgrades.

While true, we aren't so far removed from that world now. Teams are still(and I'm looking at Nike/NFL mostly here) allowing manufacturers to dictate colors/materials(see no shiny in the NFL/NHL)/ striping patterns (see the Majestic cuts in MLB) even today. Logos have been standardized, but the manufacturer still has significant influence over the way a team looks.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

22 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

That's exactly what I thought it looked like "I8"

22 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

That's exactly what I thought it looked like "I8"

Was just about to make a stupid "Boston 18s" comment lol

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Archived