NFL Concepts by mcrosby - Sep.26 updates

mcrosby

1 minute ago, seasaltvanilla said:

+1 to liking the perspective numbers for the Giants, however impractical.

If the Vikings can figure out their different numbers for left/right/single then anyone can. Here's some more concepts. 

New England Patriots: 

I went with a slightly more detailed striping for the Pats and I'm not sure how to feel about it just yet. I got real weird with the Washington's Army fauxback. 

A9J2ogN.png

New Orleans Saints: 

The name of the game for the Saints is simplicity. The numbers are a 'wrought iron' font. The brass-band alternate uses metallic finish for numbers and details on this Mardi Gras-mess. 

Ky3VjJP.png

New York Jets: 

The Jets' recent uniform redesign is, in my opinion, pretty decent so I've altered that look with my logo. The alternate uses NY Titans colors but takes on a US Naval theme. 

Fu0FyNS.png

Pittsburgh Steelers: 

My Steelers logo wasn't too well received, but got more praise when shown with the full wordmark. The wordmark and the new number font have an I-beam styling. I've replaced black with a dark charcoal. The alternate is all Pitt, with the checkers taken from the city seal. 

6eLDe2P.png

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, mcrosby said:

New England Patriots: 

I went with a slightly more detailed striping for the Pats and I'm not sure how to feel about it just yet. I got real weird with the Washington's Army fauxback. 

A9J2ogN.png

I like what you've done with these home and road uniforms. I'd make some changes, but the overall concept is strong. 

As you know, I've long been a fan of your update of the "Pat Patriot" mark.  It's amongst the simplest, most straightforward clean-ups of the logo that I've seen, so I like it as a starting point for this refresh. Im not sold on the inclusion of the pine tree from the New England flag, as I feel that even the minute splash of green amongst the blue, red, white, and silver is distracting.

I'm also a fan of your "slightly more detailed striping". Personally, I'd go with a central navy blue stripe flanked by a pair of white stripes flanked by a pair of red stripes... and I'd apply that same color pattern across all backgrounds - navy blue, white, and silver.  

I mention silver because I think this logo, this 5-stripe pattern (as I've suggested coloring it), and the simplicity of the uniform design lend themselves to a couple of different treatments. I could see going with the uniform combos you've suggested (white helmet/navy jersey/white pants; white helmet/white jersey/navy pants), or something akin to what the Patriots have worn for the past 20 seasons (silver helmet/navy jersey/silver pants; silver helmet/white jersey/navy pants).        

11 hours ago, mcrosby said:

New York Giants: 

I'm skipping around a bit because I really like this set. I redesigned my previous Giant logo as it was one of my least favorites, the new logo has king of giants, King Kong. The numbers match the new NY with a perspective to force a feeling of height. 

OHHBybu.png

This concept for the New York Giants reminds me of an idea I've long had for a fantasy football team identity, the New York Kongs. The logo is a great deal like I envisioned the team's primary mark would be, though I think King Kong could stand to be a bit smaller. If Kong were that large, he'd snap the mooring mast off the building. Hell, his weight would collapse the building! Love the forced perspective numerals, as well.   

For Pittsburgh, I love the I-beam style numbers (probably should've kept them white on the home) but I wouldn't have strayed from the iconic steeler stripe. Alternate stripe is

kinda slick even though it might be too much to go beyond the shoulder cap.

Steelers look so cool. What if you had the primary helmet like the alternate, just with the blue yellow and red stars without the P? Could make for a really unique look, and the colors of the stars would make that helmet pop. Other than that though I think its a great update, the number font is slick, maybe the stripe could use some white too, but that's not really major it looks fine without it. 

1 hour ago, jaytavo305 said:

Other than that though I think its a great update, the number font is slick, maybe the stripe could use some white too, but that's not really major it looks fine without it. 

1 hour ago, Poffsicle said:

For Pittsburgh, I love the I-beam style numbers (probably should've kept them white on the home) but I wouldn't have strayed from the iconic steeler stripe.

I tried to take white out of the Steelers look with this concept. I think the yellow/charcoal work really well against each other. I may go back and try it with some more white though. 

Philadelphia Eagles: 

The Eagles have been all over the place when it comes to stripes so I decided to go for a modern striping. The wing stays, black is out. The alternate is an update to the 1924 Frankford Yellow Jackets, their first year. 

UC10K6e.png

San Francisco 49ers: 

The Niners red is a bit closer to the International Orange on the Golden Gate Bridge. Uniforms are pretty close to what they currently sport, with a new number font and pants/helmet striping that uses the bridge towers. The foggy alternate brings back silver/grey from the early days of the Niners in a new way. 

g6H4OLO.png

I’m not sold on the SF font, seems a tad bubbly when compared to the logo, but it’s getting close.

As a Bay Area native I have always wanted a team to use international orange, it is a stunning color and so unique to the area that it’s a crime it hasn’t been used yet.

I think your reworking of the original helmet design from the other thread is an improvement. More subtle but still gets the point across! 

A foggy day in the city is a good route to go for a third look, but it seems a little boring. Maybe keep the bridge stripe on the pants but a little faded? Like you’re looking towards the horizon and it has been engulfed by the fog. Besides that, a fresh upgrade that would get me excited to watch SF.

18 hours ago, IceCap said:

King Kong is a nice touch, but the Giants would have to work out a deal with NBC Universal 😛

Actually not true, King Kong is in the public domain.

Alright, let's continue my opinions on these. 

New England - I like the updated Pat, but I'm not sure he works well on the helmet. I'd rather see the tricorn hat used in the alt carried throughout the set, it gives the Pats something distinct while connecting to the logo. I also like the new striping pattern, but I'm not the biggest fan of how thin the white/red stripes are. It looks really nice on the pants. I even like the alt, it's something unique and looks good. The only thing I don't like is the number font, but I understand why you chose it.

New Orleans - I remember this logo from the old thread, and I think it still looks great, but the football laces feel unnecessary to me and bloat the top spoke of the fluer. Both the home and away look awesome, the gold pants compliment the black and white perfectly. The alt is also pretty good, but I think it'd look better if you took the sleeve striping and put it on the pants as well. The giant metallic logo doesn't look great in my opinion. 

New York Jets - This entire set is great! The logo is simple and clean while portraying everything you need to know about the Jets. The striping is excellent and I like how the pants stripe is the whole jet. The number font helps tie everything together, I'm usually not super big on italicized numbers but this set (and the Chargers 2020 set) nail it. The fauxback is also an excellent addition to the set and looks great. One suggestion: instead of the star on the top of the sleeves, what if you put a recolored jet?

Pittsburgh - I actually really like your Steelers logo and the wordmark only helps that. I'm not a huge fan of the charcoal instead of black, I think just a straight black would look better. I also don't really having "Pittsburgh" above the numbers, I think the font is too thin for it to read cleanly and effectively. The number font is pure perfection, however. The alt I'm not a fan of. I like the helmet, or at least the idea of just having the stars on the helmet. The checkerboard striping is just too busy for me and I hate the stripes extending beyond the sleeves. Again, I'm not sold on the wordmark above the numbers, but it's slightly better in a larger font and for the alt.

Philadelphia - I like the home jersey (even if I'd prefer white pants) and the logo is great (although the Liberty Bell still feels a bit forced). Not super high on the away though, the massive green yoke just doesn't do it for me. The numbers look good and the helmet is much better without black (although for whatever reason I feel like the outline should be gray instead of white). The alt is great, I don't have much to say about the throwbacks.

San Francisco - I adore the primaries. The logo is a fantastic update to the current one, the helmet striping is clever but restrained and visually pleasing, the jerseys look beautiful and the numbers are great, and the pants are also clever and good-looking. On the other hand, the alt is a no-go for me. The "cloudy gray jersey" thing unfortunately reminds me of the Hornets' current City jersey (which is dumb, Charlotte isn't known for rain or clouds at all, in fact, it's the literal opposite, ever heard of a "Carolina Blue sky"?) and the gradient doesn't work well enough for me to see rolling clouds without it being explained. A gray jersey on its own isn't a bad idea, but I'd like to see more of the clever Golden Gate striping you used throughout the rest of the set utilized here, maybe even to a greater extent.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Going to include my favorites so far for this C&C

Houston- Absolutely love what you’ve done with the redesign. The colors fit so well. I could even see the alternate used right now in their current set. I agree with the few who have said it’s likely best to use the new primary on the helmet. Gotta love the full time faux leather. Well done

Miami- I like what you have. Now that Atlanta has their “gradient”, this vapor wave jersey you created for Miami isn’t too far fetched. I would even suggest utilizing the vapor wave across all three jerseys... just in more subtle ways for the regular home and away. Maybe place the vapor waves inside the sun on the sleeves? With the numbers being majority white, they’d stand out enough to not get lost and would force a move to the shoulders. The pants stripes could also mimic the one found on the alternate. It’s 9/10 in my book, but could really make a solid run at 10/10.

Pittsburgh & San Francisco- Just... wow. Absolute perfection. Both of them. The styling is done well. Everything is cohesive to their brands. Not even a trip up or a misstep for either team. 

This thread, to you sir, I say-

The Simpsons Reaction GIF by FOX International Channels

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

Not really. Warner Bros. needed to licence King Kong from Universal to include him their Godzilla/MonsterVerse film series.

Nope. 

For more detail see here.

While [Universal] had a majority of the rights, they did not outright own the King Kong name and character. The court's ruling noted that the name, title, and character of Kong no longer signified a single source of origin so exclusive trademark rights were impossible. The courts also pointed out that the Kong rights were held by three parties:

• RKO owned the original film and its sequel.
  • The Dino De Laurentiis company (DDL) owned the rights to the 1976 remake.
  • Richard Cooper owned worldwide book and periodical publishing rights.

It's kinda hard to see the new Pat Patriot logo on the helmet. I think making it bigger would help. Also, it's very hard to see the blue-red-blue stripe pattern on the helmet, I think a little white in between the two would help considerably. 

Two of the next three have some fauxback alternates because their actual throwbacks are SO popular I wanted to try something different. The third is a complete rebrand. 

Seattle Seahawks: 

The silver helmet returns in a somewhat more refined version of the Seahawks modern uniform. The alternate uses a logo variation from back when the team first began with simplified striping. I've used the Bears font here since they're not using it in this concept series and because I think it fits the look. 

zOWrnLM.png

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 

The Bucs new look is another fantastic set, so I've stayed pretty close to that, with a new number font. The alternate is a fauxback meant to look like it could have fit in the 1920s. Back in 1926 Jim Thorpe led the Tampa Cardinals, a barnstorming team. They played Red Grange and his Bears in '26 and travelled around Florida. I haven't been able to find any photos or uniform descriptions, so I took a creamsicle guess at it. The logo is a classic Jolly Roger, something I think could have been used by a team nearly 100 years ago. 

8WXBx2y.png

Washington Redtails: 

Off the bat, I don't care how much you like the Washington Football Club's current nickname, I don't and I won't be using it. I won't argue with you and if you want to talk about that don't do it in this thread. 

With that out of the way, here are the Redtails. The uniform striping takes from the USAF styled logo and the DC flag. There are splashes of red throughout the uniform, much like the splashes of red on the Tuskegee Airmen P-51s. The alternate is styled after those very same planes. I toyed with going even further with that concept, but this felt like a good point to stop. 

xbGqafk.png

So many of these are just perfect. You did such a good job creating traditional-style uniforms that are unique to teams across the league. It's easy to just give 3 sleeve stripes to everyone and call it good, but you went far beyond that while maintaining the simple clean looks.

Washington: that logo just looks like something that belongs in the NFL ... the red highlights work much better than I would have expected with burgundy and gold ... the working in of the DC flag also straddles subtle and clear perfectly

Seattle: I worry this is a step back by adding too much grey because to my eye the color grey just doesn't jive with a more modern concept ... the subtle Coast Salish designs in the logo are terrific though

49ers: Nailed it. Made a traditional style uniform without just rehashing a throwback set for us.

Giants: I am in love with the King Kong logo, the NY by itself, and the numbers of the uniform ... someone rush this design to the Giants

Vikings: My favorite team ... the logo is great especially on a purple background ... only gripe with the uniforms is that the Viking head gets really lost on top of the pants stripe, but I'm not sure how to fix that because I really wish the Vikings had a way to use the Viking head on their uniform without it loosing its detail by getting shrunk down too small or without it clashing with other design elements

Great job!

Alright, some more concepts! Overall I think this batch is well-made and shows some clever restraint when it comes to the alts.

Seattle - I just can't get behind the logo for this one. The S feels forced when their current logo has a great form and fits perfectly on the helmet and I think there's too much green on it compared to the actual jerseys. That said, I like the jerseys, the sleeve striping looks nice and the pants stripe using the pattern they currently use is also great. I really love the alternate, it's a great throwback to the Seahawks' old jerseys. However, I think it highlights the issue with your logo, which just so bright and honestly distracting. I just feel like the S is unnecessary and makes the look you're going for weaker.

Tampa Bay - I love the removal of black and the jerseys are near perfect, but I'm not feeling the number font. It just feels like a block font is the better choice here, even if that's just me remembering the current Bucs' look and it clashing with your interpretation. The one thing with the logo is the gold (creamsicle?) tooth, it doesn't add much and is a bit distracting and just gets lost on the helmet. When I'm looking at the logo, I'm drawn to the tooth instead of any of the other pieces, like the eyes of the skull or the football or the flag itself, when the tooth is supposed to be a small detail. I'd change it back to white. The fauxback is also great and feels like a reasonable guess at what the Tampa Cardinals could've worn while throwing some Tampa colors on it. I've personally never liked teams using tan pants with throwbacks because they don't match, but I'd never suggest not doing it for a real throwback for historical accuracy. Overall a great set with a couple minor tweaks I'd like to see.

Washington - I wholeheartedly support changing the name, but I'll simply leave it at that. Redtails has been my preferred name since I saw your original concept I think, so I'm glad to see this developed further. I'll be honest, I find the red highlights distracting and an overall negative here. It interrupts the pants stripe and doesn't play well with the maroon in my opinion, creating a bit of a clash. This is exacerbated on the jersey itself, where the only bright red is the "Redtails" wordmark which is difficult to read. The red collar inset balances the look when looking at it like this, but keep in mind that's not going to be visible on the field. Additionally, the helmet won't have any red when front-facing, so the complete front-facing look only has the bright red visible in the wordmark. My preference would be to remove red entirely but if you want to keep it I'd suggest maybe making on the stripes or stars on the sleeve red (my suggestion would be the middle stripe, at least for the maroon jersey). The alt is an excellent tribute to the actual Redtails, but my issue is that it feels disconnected from the rest of the set. The only maroon that appears on the set is in the logo and the yellow is only featured in small arm stripes outside the logo. I like the idea and the striping actually looks really good, but I think the alt would look better in the maroon and gold and the overall set would feel more cohesive, something most of your sets are lacking due to the alts.

2 minutes ago, QCS said:

Seattle - I just can't get behind the logo for this one.

This is one of my least favorite of my redesigns. I really struggled to update the Seattle logo because I think it's nearly perfect for them. But the challenge was to redesign all 32, so here we are. Any suggestions for a different route?

3 minutes ago, QCS said:

Tampa Bay - I love the removal of black and the jerseys are near perfect, but I'm not feeling the number font. It just feels like a block font is the better choice here, even if that's just me remembering the current Bucs' look and it clashing with your interpretation. The one thing with the logo is the gold (creamsicle?) tooth

I full intended on posting the version I had without the gold tooth. That's just something I played with late in the game and myself found it too gimmicky. Will be updated.

4 minutes ago, QCS said:

Washington - The red collar inset balances the look when looking at it like this, but keep in mind that's not going to be visible on the field.

Because I'm not showing the back of the uniforms with this template you have no way of knowing, but I fully intended to have the back of the collar red inside and out.

6 minutes ago, QCS said:

the overall set would feel more cohesive, something most of your sets are lacking due to the alts.

This is a result of me looking at the alts in the same light as the NBA city editions. It's a chance to do something different and I think the No Fun League could stand for a bit of something different.

Thanks for your thorough feedback. I'll be taking it into consideration when making edits.

1 minute ago, mcrosby said:

This is one of my least favorite of my redesigns. I really struggled to update the Seattle logo because I think it's nearly perfect for them. But the challenge was to redesign all 32, so here we are. Any suggestions for a different route?

Hmmm, that's tough. The Seahawks have a great direction already, but I think you can take their current logo and place even more emphasis on the Native totem pole styling than they already do. The current logo is more cartoony than the original one, I think taking the shape of the current logo and using detailing closer to the original is the way to go. That said, you could keep the basic shape and just replace the S with the stripes found in the current with the new eye shape and colors.

4 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

I full intended on posting the version I had without the gold tooth. That's just something I played with late in the game and myself found it too gimmicky. Will be updated.

Awesome, I think it'll look better without it.

4 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

Because I'm not showing the back of the uniforms with this template you have no way of knowing, but I fully intended to have the back of the collar red inside and out.

Ok, that makes more sense. Still not huge on the red details, but it's better knowing this.

5 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

This is a result of me looking at the alts in the same light as the NBA city editions. It's a chance to do something different and I think the No Fun League could stand for a bit of something different.

Yeah, the NFL definitely could use some fun. Having fun with the alts is totally fine and you can totally explore something unique and fun while not interrupting the primary set. Your alts have been throughly creative and unique for sure, it's simply my personal preference to connect everything together and show cohesion. I think things like the Seahawks' alt or even Miami's are good uses of the crazier alts while keeping it within the brand of the team. 

Archived