NFL Concepts by mcrosby - Sep.26 updates

mcrosby

I have a suggestion: in this concept series, pretend that the one-helmet rule doesn’t exist.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

If you're going with an original NFL team, I'd go with the Canton Bulldogs, who were bought out by the Cleveland Indians football team and moved to Cleveland. 

I went with Akron for its proximity to Cleveland. Maybe the Browns could cycle through all former Ohio clubs. 

Cardinals: I appreciate the craftsmanship, the inventive uniform design (that’s not a mess of panels and piping), and the new alternate (the font is also fantastic), but I absolutely dislike the new logo. It’s too squat for my tastes. I’d recommend stripping out the tan as well on the road jersey and helmet, since it just looks kinda muddy.

Falcons: your logo is just as ugly as it was when you debuted it, but thankfully you’ve abandoned the volt color. I don’t like the current logo, but even that is better-crafted than your design, which is too jagged and squat for the team’s visual continuity. The uniform design is an upgrade, but the font is still awful. 

Ravens: I get what you’re going for here, but it could’ve been done in a far more restrained way. The number font is entirely too modern and the purple barely reads on the jerseys. The logo is an upgrade, but it could use a lighter purple. I’d go back to the drawing board for a more subtle direction for the uniforms.

Bills: it’s a good modern take on the team, what with the nickel color, updated logo, tying the stripes into the logo, etc. The number font is a definite downgrade for me, as basic block is far more appropriate for the Bills. The alternate is inventive, but maybe using the royal blue of the flag would be better.

Panthers: this is a very definite upgrade! The logo doesn’t look nearly as messy as the new panther, while the uniforms have tasteful updates to the original design. The plum purple is a very inspired choice, which I like. Your alternate is a good one, but I’m not sure I can get behind the Panthers doing a racing-style design. My one complaint would be that a white or plum helmet might suit the team better.

Bears: I’d make the center stripe and the GSH white, for legibility/to match the road pants. The alternate is a pretty good design.

Bengals: you’ve done good work on the logo and jersey front, using panels in a tasteful manner. The black jersey with super low-visibility stripes really doesn’t do it for me. Maybe a throwback or a pure color flip would work?

Browns: the enlarging of the stripe and making it consistent on the helmets and jerseys (but not the pants?) really downgrades it from the new uniforms. “Floating stripes” like on the road jersey are invariably ugly, IMO, as are the “englarged” stripes that Nike tries to push in college football. The alternate is good for what it is, trying to do the vintage football aesthetic. Your logo is a decent take on how to do a “CB” insignia with the helmet stripe, but the “C” is too squat for me.

Cowboys: you picked the most hideous of the silvers to brand around. The uniforms well-designed (esp. the slab-serif), but incorporating some silver into the home/road stripes would have been welcome. 

Broncos: it’s a good modernization of the D-horse, but I really can’t go for another revival of the ‘60s sleeves or the overly-thick (and logo-ed!) pants stripes. The side panels really do look so much better, which your alternate shows. I’d base the set off that uniform, instead of the overused sleeve design.

Lions: you’ve done a fantastic job with the logo and the “muscle car” design. I do wish the helmet stripe carried over to all the uniform elements. It’s better looking that the thick stripes. The number font could better reflect “muscle car” fonts, instead of being a generic modern number design. The alternate looks good, what with the sublimated chest design. Maybe drop the “Motor City” wordmark to leave that goofiness for the NBA.

Packers: using the Bears’ striping pattern on the jerseys was a big mistake. I’d prefer to use the current stripes on the green and current Browns-like stripes on the road (i.e., gold never touches white, basic tincture rules). The updated logo and stencil fonts are fantastic (modern but still traditional-looking), as is the green throwback. 

Texans: with the old west design, please use the “HT” on the helmet instead of the current logo. The current logo is far too modern for the uniform design. Said modern/vintage design looks fantastic, really carving out an aesthetic niche for the team. The alternate is the best place for the current logo, as it’s more modern overall.

Colts: you’ve done good work with the C/horseshoe, as well as the grommet design. Slab-serif is nice to see again (albeit bolder than the Cowboys’ design). The alternate has barely legible numbers and an overly-gimmicky design, but I’m not sure what you’d want to replace it with in the set.

Overall, I’m not nearly as bullish as a lot of other posters throwing glowing praise in your direction. You have a lot of good ideas, but so much of it is poorly-realized or overly-gimmicky. I don’t mean to sound rude, but there are downgrades aplenty here. I know you’re a very talented and hard-working designer, but you need to refine this stuff a little bit more. 

Guest darkpiranha
3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Cardinals: I appreciate the craftsmanship, the inventive uniform design (that’s not a mess of panels and piping), and the new alternate (the font is also fantastic), but I absolutely dislike the new logo. It’s too squat for my tastes. I’d recommend stripping out the tan as well on the road jersey and helmet, since it just looks kinda muddy.

Falcons: your logo is just as ugly as it was when you debuted it, but thankfully you’ve abandoned the volt color. I don’t like the current logo, but even that is better-crafted than your design, which is too jagged and squat for the team’s visual continuity. The uniform design is an upgrade, but the font is still awful. 

Ravens: I get what you’re going for here, but it could’ve been done in a far more restrained way. The number font is entirely too modern and the purple barely reads on the jerseys. The logo is an upgrade, but it could use a lighter purple. I’d go back to the drawing board for a more subtle direction for the uniforms.

Bills: it’s a good modern take on the team, what with the nickel color, updated logo, tying the stripes into the logo, etc. The number font is a definite downgrade for me, as basic block is far more appropriate for the Bills. The alternate is inventive, but maybe using the royal blue of the flag would be better.

Panthers: this is a very definite upgrade! The logo doesn’t look nearly as messy as the new panther, while the uniforms have tasteful updates to the original design. The plum purple is a very inspired choice, which I like. Your alternate is a good one, but I’m not sure I can get behind the Panthers doing a racing-style design. My one complaint would be that a white or plum helmet might suit the team better.

Bears: I’d make the center stripe and the GSH white, for legibility/to match the road pants. The alternate is a pretty good design.

Bengals: you’ve done good work on the logo and jersey front, using panels in a tasteful manner. The black jersey with super low-visibility stripes really doesn’t do it for me. Maybe a throwback or a pure color flip would work?

Browns: the enlarging of the stripe and making it consistent on the helmets and jerseys (but not the pants?) really downgrades it from the new uniforms. “Floating stripes” like on the road jersey are invariably ugly, IMO, as are the “englarged” stripes that Nike tries to push in college football. The alternate is good for what it is, trying to do the vintage football aesthetic. Your logo is a decent take on how to do a “CB” insignia with the helmet stripe, but the “C” is too squat for me.

Cowboys: you picked the most hideous of the silvers to brand around. The uniforms well-designed (esp. the slab-serif), but incorporating some silver into the home/road stripes would have been welcome. 

Broncos: it’s a good modernization of the D-horse, but I really can’t go for another revival of the ‘60s sleeves or the overly-thick (and logo-ed!) pants stripes. The side panels really do look so much better, which your alternate shows. I’d base the set off that uniform, instead of the overused sleeve design.

Lions: you’ve done a fantastic job with the logo and the “muscle car” design. I do wish the helmet stripe carried over to all the uniform elements. It’s better looking that the thick stripes. The number font could better reflect “muscle car” fonts, instead of being a generic modern number design. The alternate looks good, what with the sublimated chest design. Maybe drop the “Motor City” wordmark to leave that goofiness for the NBA.

Packers: using the Bears’ striping pattern on the jerseys was a big mistake. I’d prefer to use the current stripes on the green and current Browns-like stripes on the road (i.e., gold never touches white, basic tincture rules). The updated logo and stencil fonts are fantastic (modern but still traditional-looking), as is the green throwback. 

Texans: with the old west design, please use the “HT” on the helmet instead of the current logo. The current logo is far too modern for the uniform design. Said modern/vintage design looks fantastic, really carving out an aesthetic niche for the team. The alternate is the best place for the current logo, as it’s more modern overall.

Colts: you’ve done good work with the C/horseshoe, as well as the grommet design. Slab-serif is nice to see again (albeit bolder than the Cowboys’ design). The alternate has barely legible numbers and an overly-gimmicky design, but I’m not sure what you’d want to replace it with in the set.

Overall, I’m not nearly as bullish as a lot of other posters throwing glowing praise in your direction. You have a lot of good ideas, but so much of it is poorly-realized or overly-gimmicky. I don’t mean to sound rude, but there are downgrades aplenty here. I know you’re a very talented and hard-working designer, but you need to refine this stuff a little bit more. 

LOL.  You're a pro, Cros, so you don't need praise to function, but I'm just going to publicly laugh at this comment and publicly reaffirm that your work is some of the most consistently great stuff that's posted here.  #BullishForMrCrosby !  

10 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Couldn't agree more, you're work is fantastic, but IMO your taking a lot of these teams into a much more gimmicky, almost minor league aesthetic, what with the city inspired alts and unnecessary changes. Some of your uniforms, such as the Colts, have illegible numbers or awkward features that just wouldn't work in a stadium situation either. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

18 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

LOL.  You're a pro, Cros, so you don't need praise to function, but I'm just going to publicly laugh at this comment and publicly reaffirm that your work is some of the most consistently great stuff that's posted here.  #BullishForMrCrosby !  

Really, you want to laugh at constructive criticism. Just because I don’t like some of it, I should laughed at?

Here are a few more for you. I've skipped Jacksonville and LA Rams because I'm struggling to find inspiration for them. I'm open to suggestions! I've got a feeling @SFGiants58isn't going to like at least a few of these AT ALL, but I'll sally forth anyways. For what it's worth, @SFGiants58 makes some valid points.

Kansas City Chiefs: 

This logo wasn't well received when I first posted, but it remains one of my favorites. I've used the new jagged design throughout the uniform and created a chiseled-bevelled number font. The alternate is about as clean as it gets, with a logo to harken back to the Dallas Texans. 

AT34YBs.png

Los Angeles Chargers: 

The 2020 redesign is about as close to perfect as we've seen a uniform redesign in the NFL. I based my concept on that, with added white hoops on the home, removal of italics, and a slightly updated deep navy alternate. 

7F8GfQS.png

Las Vegas Raiders: 

A new number font is about the only change to home and away. The Raiders standard looks should be incredibly simple...especially when an alternate like the one I've drawn up is waiting in the wings. I've gone full neon with the alternate, sword on the pants and everything. I only with I could animate the sword to swing back and forth like Vegas Vic. 

vZbzLZK.png

Miami Dolphins: 

Orange is out, pink is in. Sun rays are carried throughout home and away, making for a unique striping. The alternate goes full vaporwave and I hate/love it. 

pVdxKMg.png

8 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

Here are a few more for you. I've skipped Jacksonville and LA Rams because I'm struggling to find inspiration for them. I'm open to suggestions! I've got a feeling @SFGiants58isn't going to like at least a few of these AT ALL, but I'll sally forth anyways. For what it's worth, @SFGiants58 makes some valid points.

On the contrary: you’ve done very well with these next four designs!

KC: I love how you’ve handled the beveling in a tasteful way that ties in with the logo (which is an excellent modernization). It’s fantastic.

Chargers: It’s good you didn’t divert too much from the excellent update they did. I’d maybe ditch the white panels on the blue and yellow jerseys, but that’s just me. The alternate is also pretty sweet.

Raiders: You thankfully didn’t mess too much with the home and road sets. The font is fine, but I still think it needs to be block. The alternate, however, is a fantastic shot at a “neon” design. It’s absolutely unbecoming of the Raiders’ brand, but it’s still a fantastic design that’s not too crazy.

Dolphins: I really like the new stripes, the sunburst, and the addition of pink instead of orange. The new logo is similarly fantastic. The vapor wave jersey, despite what my previous post indicates, is a truly fantastic and inspired design. It should never, ever be worn on a football field, but I love it nonetheless.

I know this may sound cruel, but I tend to think of your designs as being a bit Brandiose-ish in how gimmicky they can be. While you have plenty of good stuff, there’s also a lot that would and should never work on the football field. Then again, I think that’s kind of the whole point.

2 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I know this may sound cruel, but I tend to think of your designs as being a bit Brandiose-ish in how gimmicky they can be. While you have plenty of good stuff, there’s also a lot that would and should never work on the football field. Then again, I think that’s kind of the whole point.

That cut deep. 

I tried on the Brandiose stying with the Madison Muskies redesign I did a little while back and I'd like to think I nailed it, because throwing a hat and a swinging bat on an anthropomorphized logo just isn't that difficult. I didn't go so far as to name them the MadTown Muskie-Lungers or something as depraved as what Brandiose is convincing minor league baseball clubs to pursue. 

I'd like to think I haven't gone too gimmicky with these NFL designs, I think any similarities would be in the bold line weights and simplification of shapes, in that sense I'd like to think I lean more Fraser Davidson than Brandiose. 

5 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

On the contrary: you’ve done very well with these next four designs!

I have no idea what pleases you so I'm just going to keep going and see what happens. lol

16 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

I'd like to think I haven't gone too gimmicky with these NFL designs, I think any similarities would be in the bold line weights and simplification of shapes, in that sense I'd like to think I lean more Fraser Davidson than Brandiose. 

On the contrary, you’ve gone hard into the gimmicky category. As I said, the sublimation, neon signage, oversized stripes, some arguably illegible alternates, a few poor design choices, all reek of Brandiose-style gimmicky. I appreciate the bold shapes direction, but you’re getting close to a goofy aesthetic. 

A lot of these designs would be roasted if they ever took the field. I know that’s a CCSLC paradox (praise it in 2D, but make it real and it’s often disliked), but it’s something I figured I should mention. A greater sense of realism and restraint would be ideal.

I really like your design of the Dolphins because your version of the logo looks very sweet. In fact, it's better than the one they're using – since yours has more in common with the mark of the good, old Dan Marino days, just minus the helmet – which is okay.

Pink actually works pretty good as a second (accent) color. Some people would probably argue that pink is way too female for a professional football team full of tough guys with cuts and bruises. So I'm not a 100% sure about it. Yet, visually, it absolutely works!

The third uniform's "gradient" is bold, but I like it because it's Miami! In my view, the NFL could actually use more boldness in terms of design. Not the Cleveland Browns/Tampa Bay Bucs kind of boldness by Nike, but...well, you know what I mean.

Looking forward to what my Big Blue look like! Nice job...

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

I love the “gimmicky” stuff. I think there is a lot of balance for the main sets and then a somewhat outlandish and exciting alternates. It’s very hard to make an alternate that isn’t black, white, or silver for the Raiders but that neon look is something that not only would sell, but would be a great uniform and promotional opportunity for the team for a primetime game per season. The creativity is outstanding while making the league look like you want it to look. I applaud the entire thread, it’s very fun to follow! Can’t wait for more!

Guest darkpiranha
55 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Really, you want to laugh at constructive criticism. Just because I don’t like some of it, I should laughed at?

I'm laughing because what you're doing isn't constructive criticism at its heart.  Oh sure, you have some legit points you made about some of the design specifics.  His stuff isn't perfect.  But he's always posting stuff and lots of it, and trying all sorts of things.  Some bomb, as it does even for the Fraser Davidsons of the world.  But he hits on a huge percentage of them.  

My issue with your continued posts is the "I've got to take this guy down a peg" tone of it.  You clearly don't like it when people get praised for work they are doing (I've seen you do this with other highly-praised designers), and that's fine, but don't dress it up by surrounding it with 'constructive criticism'.   It's not just critiquing the pros and cons of a design.  You seem compelled to specifically mention that you don't think someone deserves the glowing praise they may have gotten.   

16 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

I'm laughing because what you're doing isn't constructive criticism at its heart.  Oh sure, you have some legit points you made about some of the design specifics.  His stuff isn't perfect.  But he's always posting stuff and lots of it, and trying all sorts of things.  Some bomb, as it does even for the Fraser Davidsons of the world.  But he hits on a huge percentage of them.  

I would disagree, as there are a lot of designs that bomb in here. I fully accept that a lot of attempts at distinctive design will miss, but the misses outweigh the hits here. Many of them have baffling decisions that come across as "change for change's sake." 

16 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

My issue with your continued posts is the "I've got to take this guy down a peg" tone of it.  You clearly don't like it when people get praised for work they are doing (I've seen you do this with other highly-praised designers), and that's fine, but don't dress it up by surrounding it with 'constructive criticism'.   It's not just critiquing the pros and cons of a design.  You seem compelled to specifically mention that you don't think someone deserves the glowing praise they may have gotten.   

While that's certainly a part of it, I do believe there is a legitimately constructive part of it. Hearing 100% praise builds ego and resistance to change/updating your designs. I fundamentally believe that pure praise is worse for designers that straight-up bashing. I'm incorporating plenty of constructive points, trying to highlight what works and what doesn't work in the design. It happens to be that I think a lot of the design elements don't work or are downgrades from extant designs by virtue of being too gimmicky/minor league. Also, I don't think I've seen mcrosby ever listen to criticism on how to improve what he's doing by making updates, at least in this venue. 

With your "I attack highly-praised designers" point, the only example I can name is Sparky Chewbarky. Like, with Sparky Chewbarky's NHL Seattle designs, I legitimately thought most of them were overdesigned, looked more minor-league than NHL-worthy, and relied too much on small details that would be lost upon resizing. He responded to criticism well enough (actually doing updates), until he got so attached to the Kraken name that he thought it best to attack other posters behind their back. Aside from Chewbarky, what other designers have I "attacked" in this fashion?

On 4/26/2020 at 12:37 AM, mcrosby said:

Carolina Panthers: 

Last one for this first post, the Panthers in plum. I don't dislike much about the current panthers look, so the updated logo, new colors, and a few adjustments here and there is all I've done. The alternate uni is all plum with some Carolina racing checkers. 

1TmBrpz.png

I've got a few more finished but will save them for a future post. I'll try to go in alphabetical order but might skip around as I find inspiration. 

You've done something that would have been my first thought/work step when redesigning the Panthers: replacing black with plum or some shade of dark navy!  I've never been a fan of black and light blue. Two different shades of blue (or in your case, light blue and plum) just look cleaner, more modern, and I think this color combination is also more pleasing to the eye.

Nice uniform set, too!

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

4 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Also, I don't think I've seen mcrosby ever listen to criticism on how to improve what he's doing by making updates, at least in this venue. 

Well that's just untrue. I've included my name in my concept post titles to make it easy if you prefer not to look at what I post. 

Initially, I was on board with your criticism, and as I mentioned that you make some fair points. But now that you've professed that you're here to take designers down a peg I'm not interested. I make these because I enjoy it, and people here seem to enjoy it, not because I want to be taken down a peg on what seems to be a personal level. 

Well that's just untrue. I've included my name in my concept post titles to make it easy if you prefer not to look at what I post. 

OK, I stand corrected.

Initially, I was on board with your criticism, and as I mentioned that you make some fair points. But now that you've professed that you're here to take designers down a peg I'm not interested.

Except that’s not what I said at all. You’re misinterpreting me expressing my issues with the designs and their response. I want you to see room for improvement, not just “bringing you down a peg.” You’re misrepresenting my points.

I make these because I enjoy it, and people here seem to enjoy it, not because I want to be taken down a peg on what seems to be a personal level. 

It’s not personal. I think you’re very talented and hard-working, it’s just that I think your designs here can be better. I got personal earlier because I was being attacked a little and got a bit heated. I apologize for that.

Archived