NFL Concepts by mcrosby - Sep.26 updates

mcrosby

Guest darkpiranha
43 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

Well that's just untrue. I've included my name in my concept post titles to make it easy if you prefer not to look at what I post. 

Initially, I was on board with your criticism, and as I mentioned that you make some fair points. But now that you've professed that you're here to take designers down a peg I'm not interested. I make these because I enjoy it, and people here seem to enjoy it, not because I want to be taken down a peg on what seems to be a personal level. 

Don't stress any of this.  Your work IS appreciated and respected.  Some critics you can safely ignore because they either don't get what you're going for, or have a highly visceral dislike of your style or the response you're getting.  When a simple critique will do, their deeper feelings are revealed through the insistence on making sure the designer, and anyone who has praised their work, knows full well that they aren't deserving of that praise (in their opinion).  "You can't please all of the people all of the time."    Very true.  

I follow few designers in here (even though I comment a lot), and the main thing that makes me want to follow a designer is their ability to take comments and criticism and put it into practice.  I enjoy following your work because you HAVE incorporated suggestions quite often.  You aren't combative or belligerent when you don't agree with someone's suggestions.  You are always clearly having fun and you are always clearly improving your skills.  Even though this particular set of critiques were pointlessly personal and laced with jealousy, I'm sure you will still extract some worthwhile nuggets.   So just keep doing what you're doing!  

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, darkpiranha said:

Don't stress any of this.  Your work IS appreciated and respected.  Some critics you can safely ignore because they either don't get what you're going for, or have a highly visceral dislike of your style or the response you're getting. 

Indeed it is. You can ignore me as “not getting it,” but I seriously do believe there are more misses than hits.

When a simple critique will do, their deeper feelings are revealed through the insistence on making sure the designer, and anyone who has praised their work, knows full well that they aren't deserving of that praise (in their opinion).  "You can't please all of the people all of the time."    Very true.  

I’d just like to see a more mixed reaction to the designs, with incorporations of critiques into updates. That’s all I want. I was thorough, praised what I liked, and rightfully critiqued the stuff that I didn’t. My language was probably too harsh, but I felt it needed to be said.

I follow few designers in here (even though I comment a lot), and the main thing that makes me want to follow a designer is their ability to take comments criticism and put it into practice. 

Which I appreciate and laud, especially when a designer tries out a bunch of critiques and ultimately finds that they improve a design.

I enjoy following your work because you HAVE incorporated suggestions quite often.  You aren't combative or belligerent when you don't agree with someone's suggestions.  You are always clearly having fun and you are always clearly improving your skills. 

Sure, but there’s also been the gaslighting or me to try to make me look like a hateful monster. I’m not trying to bring him down, I’m just offering a contrasting opinion.

Even though this particular set of critiques were pointlessly personal and laced with jealousy, I'm sure you will still extract some worthwhile nuggets.   So just keep doing what you're doing!  

Really? Jealousy? I’m not jealous at all. They’re not pointlessly personal, either. I just felt like I needed to say these things so that he can learn and incorporate these changes into his designs.

18 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

Don't stress any of this.  Your work IS appreciated and respected.  Some critics you can safely ignore because they either don't get what you're going for, or have a highly visceral dislike of your style or the response you're getting.  When a simple critique will do, their deeper feelings are revealed through the insistence on making sure the designer, and anyone who has praised their work, knows full well that they aren't deserving of that praise (in their opinion).  "You can't please all of the people all of the time."    Very true.  

I follow few designers in here (even though I comment a lot), and the main thing that makes me want to follow a designer is their ability to take comments and criticism and put it into practice.  I enjoy following your work because you HAVE incorporated suggestions quite often.  You aren't combative or belligerent when you don't agree with someone's suggestions.  You are always clearly having fun and you are always clearly improving your skills.  Even though this particular set of critiques were pointlessly personal and laced with jealousy, I'm sure you will still extract some worthwhile nuggets.   So just keep doing what you're doing!  

Harsher constructive criticism is needed to become a good designer, not everyone has the same opinion. While I don't agree with everything @SFGiants58 has said, they've brought some constructive criticism to the thread, from a different perspective than everyone up until then had seemingly had. And that's okay. It's not hating, or seeking out taking someone down to not agree with them on certain aspects of a design. Sure me and SF don't see eye to eye with @mcrosby on all his concepts, but that doesn't mean were out to get him. You also don't need to pamper him when faced with criticism either. MCrosby is one of the better designers on this site IMO, he's sure to have faced plenty of criticism and doesn't need you to fluff it up for him.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Just now, IceCap said:

I publicly laugh at this comment because it misses the entire point of constructive criticism. 

agreed. I love constructive criticism, and if you know me I like to fly through a project and circle back to the feedback when I've hit a block. I'll likely be doing just that in this thread. 

2 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

agreed. I love constructive criticism, and if you know me I like to fly through a project and circle back to the feedback when I've hit a block. I'll likely be doing just that in this thread. 

That's fantastic to hear!

Dude, I'm sorry if I was rude or inappropriate. I've been having a bit of a pain getting a VPN working on my computer and it kind of fed into my overall mood. I apologize for anything I did to upset you or attack you.

Just now, mcrosby said:

Good to hear but I think everyone here needs to take this a little less seriously. 

mcrosby- I don't think @SFGiants58 means anything personal by his criticism. Fact is that if you put your work on the forums you're inviting the full spectrum of feedback from "it sucks" to "amazing, send it to the team." 

Unless something is specifically mean spirited? There's really no need to take criticism of the work personally. 
Likewise? You're not required to take it all to heart either. "I hear what you're saying, but it's not my vision" or "I tried it and didn't like it" are both mature and measured responses here. 

@darkpiranha- I've seen this sort of behaviour elsewhere. People get attached to certain concept makers and they in turn decide anything less than a glowing review is an attack. You may need to step back and understand that not everyone's going to be into what you're into.

Further? I'm sensing that you're reading too much into SFGiants58's comments. You accuse him of having a "holier than thou" attitude and wanting to take mcrosby "down a peg." I think you might be projecting. The fact is that this is a text based medium. It's near impossible to tell tone from words alone and we often infer tone on our own. We often miss the mark of what was said. 

I would ask that you take a step back and try to assume that SFGiants58 isn't coming from the malicious place you assume he's coming from. 

SFGiants58- I think that, at a certain point, there needs to be a happy compromise between concept designer and critiquer. At a certain point mcrosby's vision is his vision. Everyone grows by taking constructive criticism to heart but the general vision likely remains what it is. So I think respecting that mcrosby's got a certain style that will always be reflected would be helpful. 

Anyway be cool to each other. 

Guest darkpiranha
3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

That's fantastic to hear!

Dude, I'm sorry if I was rude or inappropriate. I've been having a bit of a pain getting a VPN working on my computer and it kind of fed into my overall mood. I apologize for anything I did to upset you or attack you.

And for my part, I also apologize.  I'm a professional (video production, not graphic design) and I know very well the value of harsh constructive criticism.  Personally, I just don't ever think publicly stating on someone's thread "I don't think you're as good as everyone else thinks you are." is constructive.  SO many other ways to constructively get to the heart of the same criticisms.  But in criticizing your criticism, I became the monster I was fighting against.  My bad. 

5 minutes ago, IceCap said:

SFGiants58- I think that, at a certain point, there needs to be a happy compromise between concept designer and critiquer. At a certain point mcrosby's vision is his vision. Everyone grows by taking constructive criticism to heart but the general vision likely remains what it is. So I think respecting that mcrosby's got a certain style that will always be reflected would be helpful. 

Anyway be cool to each other. 

Fair points indeed. I figured that I’m just not the target audience for this series and a lot of the designs simply aren’t my taste. They’re very well made, but don’t appeal to my preferred aesthetic. Ultimately, I’ll back off the harsher stuff and look at them within his aesthetic. After all, all scores should be relative to their respective projects. Heck, I know I have a very specific style in my designs, something that I know won’t appeal to everyone. 

I want to be more respectful and going forward, I will be.

Ok, now that you've posted a few more concepts, I'm going to go through each one so far and give my thoughts.

Arizona - I'm a fan of the football Cardinals going in the "desert cardinal" direction, but I believe the logo is a little too squat and lacks the ferocity of the current Cards logo. The primary home and away are great, I love the striping and helmet stripe. The alt is pretty good as well, if a little gimmicky and "City jersey"-ish (which is a theme with most of your alts in the series). The biggest problem for me is the copper gradient/metallic shine, which just doesn't read well at all. I assume it's supposed to be a shiny fabric, which probably would look great, but surrounding the logo it needs to be flat, at least for digital applications. It doesn't read as a metal very well, just a strange gradient.

Atlanta - I like the idea to take the side pipes and put them on the sleeves, they look much better. Shrinking the numbers and removing the stupid "ATL" is a good choice as well. The alt is a miss for me, not a fan of gradients on jerseys at all (I will later contradict this with the Dolphins). I think the logo could also some work, I don't quite understand what the bit behind the tail/wing is supposed to be, it reads as a second wing and doesn't seem to fit. The logo overall feels disjointed, like the parts don't really connect to each other, and I think the wing doesn't need those extra notches and tips. Very glad you got rid of the volt color however, that never looks good.

Baltimore - The biggest problem is the seeming lack of purple. If there is any, I genuinely cannot see it. Not a big fan of the checkerboard beak, it's a good way to incorporate the flag into the logo, but I don't think that's necessary. I think both the primary and alt are way too dark, the white jersey feels like the perfect balance between the black and gold. This issue would probably be solved by making the black jersey purple instead, as long as it's a properly colored purple, like what they have now. I also think having the gold outline go all the way around the logo would make it look better. I'm also having a hard time understanding the pants stripe. It looks complete on the white jersey, where it properly reads as a reference to the flag, but on the dark pants it just looks like a gold stripe with a block out of place. Finally, I'm not sure how good an iridescent helmet with a flat jersey would look. Maybe have an iridescent stripe on the helmet so the two elements are tied together?

Buffalo - I like the new colors, it's a unique take on RWB, and I even like the large stripes on the primaries. I think the alt leans too much into "City jersey" territory again, but I do really like the lighting bolt pants stripe. Overall this set is well-made, but I'd like to see a more normal alt and less sublimation in general.

Carolina - I'll try to keep this one somewhat brief, but I have plenty of thoughts on my favorite team. I think you have an awesome foundation here, the primaries are awesome updates on their classic set (which is great, by the way). I like the blue helmet, it's what I'd like to see the team do, as well as the removal of silver, again, the right choice. I don't like the new blue or plum at all. The blue is too bright and the plum just doesn't work for me. Black, white, and blue. That's the Panthers' color scheme, and that's how it should stay. The logo is also not doing it for me. There's too much blue (a problem for a team that should be using blue as a third color) but somehow the eyes get lost in all that blue detailing, they're simply way too small and get lost on the helmet. I'd also like to see the helmet stripe end at the bumper (as in the outline would peak at the bumper), and same thing with the pants stripe, which I think is also too large. The number font is another issue, I always see people try to make the Panthers a modern team, but they're not, they've always been traditional, with a block font and classic loop striping. The alt is good in a vacuum, but again leans into City jersey territory and I'd rather just see a black version of your great primaries (without blue pants).

Chicago - Not a big fan of the number font, a little too curvy for my tastes. I'll echo SF's idea that the middle stripe and "GSH" on the colored jersey be white for legibility and to match the pants. For the alt, I'd suggest moving the flag striping to the sleeves, like on the pants, which are incredibly tasteful and well-made. If the four-star pattern was put on the sleeves and the number was normal-sized, it'd be a great alternate that honors the city without being overbearing.

Cincinnati - Sublimation simply ain't it, chief. The white jersey is the best one here, great color balance and I like the striping, but I'd recommend shrinking it down so it doesn't bleed into the white. Not sure how I feel about the number font, it doesn't look like a "football" number font to me. I think the orange jersey could use some white in there, and the black needs a rework. The helmet looks great (it's always been the best part of the Bengals look, in my opinion) and the logo is also great. I'd add some white to the orange jersey and rework the black to not use sublimation and you'll be golden here.

Cleveland - I think the stripes here are a little too thick all around. I also don't really like the five stripes on the sleeves, I think three would look better. I'd also rather see an orange jersey than a throwback, but the Pros do look good. Not sold on the logo, I'm part of the "Browns only need a helmet as a logo" camp.

Dallas - I'm going to have to agree with SFGiants on this one: that's the worst silver they have. I think taking the helmet silver and utilizing that one is the right play here. Good choice picking navy instead of royal blue, however. I think toning back the stars on the alt and removing the "D" behind the star on the pants would also complete that look. The font choice is also great, looks classic while also feeling very Cowboys.

Denver - The logo is decent, I don't think the D horse and Robo-horse combine well, but this is done about as well as it could be. I like the new orange, it plays well with the navy and white. Not a fan of the sleeve striping on the primaries, with the sleeve hole not matching the color it looks unfinished and cut off at a weird place. I also think the pants stripe is too thick and doesn't need the logo on it. The alt is great, I'd prefer if that was what the set was built around, but it works well as an alt. I also wonder what the numbers would look like without an outline, and the small serif on the "5" bothers me a lot. I think it'd look better without it.

Detroit - I like the logo for this one, but it seems like the bottom and top are unbalanced. The top is much larger than the bottom and gives the logo a very top-heavy feel. I think a block font would look better here, just take the font on the alt and give it the double outline the numbers on the primaries have. I also like the idea of using muscle car striping, it's a strong tie to Detroit and is also fitting of a traditional football team. That said, I think it's too thick on both the pants and jersey and I don't like how the jersey stripe unnaturally extends onto the front while the stripes on the pants and helmet stop short of the end. I'd like it if the double stripe was carried throughout the design, it matches those classic cars more anyway. Not a fan of the alt, sublimation doesn't really work and I don't like using "Motor City" at all. It feels minor league and doesn't fit a traditional team like the Lions (for the record, I think the Pistons' Motor City jerseys are stupid, as are all NBA jerseys that don't use either the team's nickname or the city/state's name). Very good start here, some parts just feel disconnected and held back by getting a little to cutesy with it.

Green Bay - Not a huge fan of the darker green, I think it dulls the whole set, especially put up against the green alt, which is a great color. I love the new font, ties the wordmark into the set while remaining traditional, and the logo also ties into it while incorporating a football, which is unnecessary but a nice touch (I think it would look just as good without it, but it doesn't matter much). Love the alt, throwbacks usually look nice, not much to say for that one.

Houston - Adore the new colors and the western vibe for the Texans, I think the primaries are perfection. Again I'll echo SFGiants by suggesting that the primary logo be used on the helmets instead of the current logo recolored since it creates a disconnect. I like the idea behind the alt, but again it feels "City jersey" and disconnected from the rest of the set. The helmet you use for the primaries also wouldn't fit the alt, it should be blue to match. The "Houston" going down the pants also seems minor league (and old Browns).

Indianapolis - I like the new logo, especially the fact that you kept it upright on the helmet. Not a huge fan of the grommets throughout, they seem like they'd be distracting and take away from the set. Full UCLA loops are good, as is the number font, although having just seen Dallas it seems a little too close. The alt is just not good. It's "City jersey" and borderline illegible with the dark navy numbers on a dark steel blue background with sublimated bricks. It just doesn't look good and feels very, very wrong for the Colts, who don't even need an alt in my opinion.

Kansas City - The numbers just do not work at all here. The set looks decent enough until you compare it to the Texans fauxback, which is simply incredible. Literally the only thing I would change about the set is adding sleeve stripes (and maybe a thicker outline) but other than that it's basically perfect. The logo is also way too jagged for my tastes, it loses legibility and this extends to the numbers and stripes. Simply straighten everything out and it'll look much better. Alternatively, use the Texans set as the basis for the primaries and use your current primaries as inspiration for the alt, the overall set will look much better.

Los Angeles Chargers - These are amazing. Probably your best set here, using the great 2020 design and touching it up in some places. I personally am not a fan of the white panel behind the bolts, but it still looks good here. The numbers look great and even the navy alt is well-done and tasteful (although I'd recommend yellow numbers for legibility). However, the rhino seems unnecessary since you use the bolt on the helmets and jerseys. The rhino could work as an alt logo but I'd recommend just rolling with the bolt as the primary logo. 

Las Vegas - The primaries are amazing and are perfect for the Raiders, well done! The alt, unfortunately, bring it all down. Again, just too "City jersey" and neon alts just don't feel very professional (the Memphis Redbirds show neon stylings can be done tastefully and beautifully, so it's not entirely out of the question). Bright red, yellow, and blue only serve to muddy up your incredible primaries and the neon sword pants stripe is about as minor league as it gets. If you wanted to do something unique for the alt, how about a silver jersey, maybe using the diamond-like shape of the "Welcome to Las Vegas" sign? 

Miami - Remember when I said I hated gradients on jerseys? Yeah, this looks incredible. I love the vaporwave aesthetic and I think you applied it beautifully while not going overboard. Of course, I think that set should be a fashion jersey only and never actually worn on the field, but it looks wonderful and the Dolphins (or really any Miami team) going with a vaporwave theme would be heaven for me. That said, your primaries are fantastic and the decision to replace orange with pink is simply inspired. The one thing I don't like is the number font, the "9" begins to suggest traditional block but then has a curve in the top left while the "4" curves in the bottom left. It feels like you're trying to have it both ways with a modern and traditional font, but it doesn't work. I'd suggest just a traditional block, it'll look much better. I love the sun sleeves and the pants/helmet striping as well.

Overall, you have plenty of great ideas and you're a very talented designer, but I think you're stuck in a NBA/MLS mindset of wacky alts and change for change's sake that just don't look good and drag down the rest of the set. Things like the neon Raiders set and Brickyard Colts are neat in concept, but when put together with the team's traditional and beautiful look, they feel amateur and simply look bad. Part of that is also presentation, I'm having a tough time determining if this series is supposed to be a realistic update tp every NFL team or a fantasy out-there series with wacky suggestions that are very hit-or-miss, because you have mixes of both here. The Chargers look amazing and they honor the team's history and colors, while teams like the Ravens get dragged through the gimmicky mud with iridescent helmets and jerseys and checkerboard beaks and the complete removal of their signature color. I want to stress again that you are very talented and have plenty of great ideas, but you need to decide what your idea of this series is and lean into it. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I would disagree, as there are a lot of designs that bomb in here. I fully accept that a lot of attempts at distinctive design will miss, but the misses outweigh the hits here. Many of them have baffling decisions that come across as "change for change's sake." 

Personally I like seeing different takes on existing uniforms that are a little more outside the norm rather than ones that just do some minor tweak. I look at some concepts of an existing uniform and can barely tell what they've changed...like a thicker stripe, or a minor change to a font or whatever. 

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’d just like to see a more mixed reaction to the designs, with incorporations of critiques into updates. That’s all I want. I was thorough, praised what I liked, and rightfully critiqued the stuff that I didn’t. My language was probably too harsh, but I felt it needed to be said.

Emphasis in the quote is mine...perhaps you don't see more mixed reactions to the designs because others don't have the same thoughts and reactions as you do. Obviously it's all a matter of personal taste and, to me at least, it appears to me that your tastes in this thread run contrary to the taste of most others following and commenting.

@QCS what a write-up! Thanks for all the comments. You're right, I don't really have a theme for this redesign. Simply put it's how I would design every NFL team. Part of having the opportunity to design all the teams is that I want to try to make every set look unique, which is not easy with clubs steeped in tradition. The alts are definitely city-jersey inspired, and I'll probably continue to do that because I'm a big fan of the city-jerseys and the fans have responded very well to them...for the most part. 

Again, I'm all for criticism from whoever. These aren't perfect and some of them are real weird, so it's expected. I'll circle back and make some updates at some point based on feedback. Until then, here are two more. I've added an alternate helmet to the template, and will retro-fit the rest of the concepts with it before this is all said and done. 

Minnesota Vikings: 

This concept takes heavily from a Vikings prototype from back in 1961. Simplicity is the name of the game here, so the number 'sails' are gone. The alternate goes full Mjolnir, because I'm getting weird with the alts. 

w5bH1wQ.png

New York Giants: 

I'm skipping around a bit because I really like this set. I redesigned my previous Giant logo as it was one of my least favorites, the new logo has king of giants, King Kong. The numbers match the new NY with a perspective to force a feeling of height. 

OHHBybu.png

Guest darkpiranha

In general, when I'm evaluating a concept, the first thing I look for is what's the designer's ultimate goal?  I see two usual paths:

1) I'm practicing my designing chops and having lots of fun with neat/wacky/bold/out-of-the-box ideas.  

2) I'm attempting to create an accurate update that could conceivably be approved by league marketing according to all current marketing criteria.  

3) (alt) I'm just doing this 100% for fun and have no further goal of improving my design skills.  

On 1) when evaluating, I don't take into consideration real-world aspects, such as "The Browns would never drop orange from their branding."  If someone has decided to use a bright Kelly green in their concept for the Browns, then the evaluation is how well they pulled it off.  In this world, I assume that yes, the Browns decided to add green and this is how a designer chose to approach it.  

On 2), I only evaluate in this way if the designer has expressly stated that they want their design to be something that could logically be considered by the team.  In this case, jersey manufacturers, exact logo placement, stitching, facemask color, etc is fair ground for deep dive critiquing.   Generally, these concepts tweak a stripe width, or other adjustments imperceptible to the average viewer.  Tradition is usually sacred, which is as it should be for real-world evaluation.  

When a designer hasn't clearly indicated their intent (at least in whatever current thread I happen to be looking at) I'll default to just assuming they are stretching their talents and trying things out and scratching that gradient itch that amuses them, or whatever.  mrcrosby's most recent NYGiants post is the perfect example.  There is 0.0000% chance that they'd EVER consider adding King Kong to the logo.  But it's a super-fun idea.  So the evaluation becomes, how well did he execute it?  How can he make the Kong-ness of it even more effective? 

My anecdotal data is that 90% of the posts fall into the "Hey, I'm just having a lot of fun and trying stuff out" category.  But about 50% of the comments are "The Canadiens would NEVER have a blue jersey." 

That home and away for the Vikings are gorgeous! The logo is a great update I love the striping. The logo does get a little lost on the pant striping however so, maybe you could drop that, but overall their great! 

I'll leave all comments about the alternates at the door, I personally hate the whole city edition idea and so there's no point to me commenting on those. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

2 hours ago, Skycast said:

Emphasis in the quote is mine...perhaps you don't see more mixed reactions to the designs because others don't have the same thoughts and reactions as you do. Obviously it's all a matter of personal taste and, to me at least, it appears to me that your tastes in this thread run contrary to the taste of most others following and commenting.

I think it's because, and this is the G-d's honest truth, a lot of people here just don't come into Concepts anymore.
"What happened to the Concepts section?" is something a lot of long-time board members often ask, and the result is a lot of people just don't come in here. I tend to share SFGiants's critiques of the work at hand, but I likely never would have come in here had there been no need for a mod presence. It's nothing against mcrosby or anyone else. I just don't feel like the atmosphere in the concepts section is really conducive to good discussion anymore.

In part because stuff tends to be either "lol this is trash" or "omg so good better than the team" in terms of comments. There's very little discussion anymore, and if you do dare to say a popular concept designer's work could maybe use some tweaks? Their fanboys jump all over you.

That lack of a nuanced discussion is what I think SFGiants58 was getting at, and I tend to agree with him on that point.

Anyway in the interests of getting this back on track?
First, a lot of these logos seem very same-y. This isn't a criticism so much as an inherent drawback anytime one person attempts to redesign an entire league. Everyone has their own quirks as an artist, and so it's inevitable that so many of these will share similar elements.

Secondly, I'm going to try and review each on their own merits. Do I think the Packers should ever entertain turning their iconic G logo into a football? No. That being said, this isn't a series of actual proposals. So I'm going to try and avoid going "Team X would never do that."

Arizona- I like the idea of red and sand, but I don't really feel the blue. I'm also not a fan of the gradient, or the thicker cardinal head.

Atlanta- Nothing will ever make me like the gradient, and I'm telling you all, that's going to look ridiculous on a lineman. The overall set, however, is solid. I like the striping and the changes to the logo are intriguing.

Baltimore- I like it as an experimental thing. I don't think it's practical in terms of visibility, but as a proof of concept? Yeah, it's fun.

Buffalo- The chest stripes aren't working for me, and the alternate just seems off. Considering that the actual flag it's referencing is blue and not red.

Carolina- I like these a lot. The double blue works, and it still invokes the Panthers' traditional look.

Chicago- There are some striping inconsistencies that would be fixed if you added some white to the home's sleeve striping. The alternate is fine for what it is, but I'm over the Chicago flag in sports.

Cleveland- I like all of the unis actually. I'm just not feeling the CB logo you came up with. I'd prefer something that was just a C, if you were going to go the monogram route.

Dallas- No real complaints. I would have preferred standard silver, but I get the green-silver appeal.

Denver- Probably my favourite. The pants logos are a bit too big but other than that? I love it.

Detroit- I love the revised logo, as it looks like something that truly invokes the automotive industry. The uniforms...I get what you were going for, but it's not quite there. I would strip away the thick stripes and think more minimalist. How can you replicate the elegant logo's styling on the uniform?

Green Bay- My only real issue would be the numbers. Stencil numbers may prove to be a bad idea from a visibility standpoint.

Houston- The home and roads aren't my cup of tea, but I love the NASA stylings for the alternate. I would lean into that.

Indianapolis- I would just lose the grommets in the jersey and pants striping. It's a bit busy.

Kansas City- It's very conceptual and experimental, but I like it. It's very bold.

LA Chargers- I like the uniforms, but I'm not sure about the rhino. The Chargers have oscillated between the bolt and the horse, and I think adding a rhino to that would add to more brand confusion.

Las Vegas- It's a solid enough update.

Miami- I appreciate the Vice styling as a fan of 80s-style vaporwave but the Dolphins almost feel like they're separate from the rest of Miami in that regard. They're from a Miami that predates that- the Miami of cheesy roadside attractions and 70s pastels. The design itself is very nice, but I'd like to see the pink switched out for orange.

I will say that I like the idea of the City jerseys, but most of them feel gimmicky and some don't even relate to the city itself (see: Hornets, Lakers) while others just don't look good (see: Cavs, Warriors, Suns, Nuggets, Mavericks, Pistons, etc.) and in general I'd rather just not have them. That said, they can be done well (Jazz, 76ers' parchment, Nets Biggie, Bulls not black, Thunder teal, all of Miami) and some of the ideas they present I'd love to see developed further. The problem arises when the bad far, far outweighs the good and they become a nuisance rather than an outlet to connect to the city further and introduce something interesting and unique. 

That said, I'll take a look at these next two as well!

Minnesota - Love this update! The primaries are fantastic and the striping is perfection. I'd remove the logo on the pants, they get lost and when you do notice them they detract from the striping pattern itself. I also think the logo is a little too scruffy and tiny bit scrunched, not quite like the proud warrior the Vikings use now. The alt is not for me, but the Mjolnir theme is clever and I wonder if that striping pattern could be used in a more traditional application and look good. 

New York Giants - Really like the new monogram and trying to apply the NY into a building to really give off a "giant" feel is clever. I just noticed the same "lean" is given to the numbers, which is a clever and subtle touch that really adds to the jersey set without being overly distracting. Not really feeling the shade of silver for the pants, I'd prefer it lighter personally. The King Kong is a 50/50 for me, not sure how easy it is to force that perspective without him, but as it is now the logo feels a bit unbalanced with Kong taking up a ton of visual weight on the right side without something on the left to balance it. Maybe trying to slope the "NY" to imitate the edges of a building? I don't how to describe it well, but I think it could convey the same forced perspective without Kong. The throwback looks nice, I don't have much to say about these throwbacks.

the user formerly known as cdclt

I feel the need to chime in here, because I’ve had a similar experience when showing concepts. I’ve had people object to changes, saying “Team _____ should never change from ______,” and while I understand where they’re coming from, that isn’t entirely the point. Sometimes it’s fun to try things out and change them just to see what a concept can turn out to be! Even while I wouldn’t want to see some of these changes actually come to fruition on the field, I still appreciate the thought and creativity that went into them, and the willingness to go a bit more “out there!” With that said, here are my thoughts on the teams:

Arizona: While I like what you were going for with the cardinal head logo, I do agree with others that it looks a bit “bloated” compared to the fierce-looking real life version. The addition of desert gray is fantastic though, and the integration of the flag is the most creative way I’ve seen it done. I like the way the navy uniform looks with the metallic copper, though I’m not sure how it would translate in real life, as I’m not a fan of those UCLA Adidas stripes & numbers.

Atlanta: I can’t say I’m a fan of the logo (as it loses some of the bird shape as well as the hidden “F,” the two most iconic parts of the Falcons’ logo), but the uniforms are an upgrade, at least in practicality. I also don’t mind the decision to leave the “ATL,” on the alternate, as it is best left there.

Baltimore: I like what you were going for with the iridescence, but as others have said the purple doesn’t seem to show up as much as I would like it to. Right now they look like a black & gold team, which isn’t ideal when in the same division as the Steelers. I honestly think the Ravens could drop gold entirely, replacing it with white or maybe even red. I also think you should add a full outline around the raven logo, and I would add a couple more “switches” in color on the pants to better reflect the flag and to work better on both backgrounds.

Buffalo: The use of Nickel Blue is super creative, and I love the striping pattern and number font. The alternate would definitely be a worthy “City Edition” type of uniform.

Carolina: I love the use of plum purple, and the blue helmet works beautifully here. I also appreciate the way you were able to match the helmet striping to the jersey and pants. The italic numbers on the alternate are great, I honestly think you could integrate them into the main set as well. My only criticism would be that the eye looks a bit too small in the logo. All in all, this set is probably one of my favorites.

Chicago: I don’t love the use of the Reds font for the Bears, though I do admit it is creative and something I never would have thought of. I would make the numbers and the middle stripe white on the navy jersey, to match the pants. The alternate is a creative way to incorporate the Chicago flag, and I love the way it looks in navy & orange.

Cincinnati: You definitely found a way to incorporate the tiger stripes creatively. Although it might be a bit much to include them in the numbers, everything else is pretty nice. I love the C logo.

Cleveland: While I might like what the team recently unveiled better, I like what you’re going for with the big stripes, and I think it’s something they could really own. The custom number font also looks great here.

Dallas: Navy paired with their “seafoam silver” would certainly be a unique combo for them, I like it. While I probably prefer the regular double-outline star, what you’ve done for them is definitely more unique. It’s kind of crazy to think that Dallas’ logo after all these years is really just a star, and yet it’s undeniably iconic.

Denver: Personally I love the 60’s stripes, and I think they work great here. I would probably take the logo off of the pants though, or at least shrink it. This logo is one of my favorites, as well.

Detroit: Not much to say here, it’s nice! I probably prefer the regular Northwestern stripes, but the muscle car look is a nice inspiration.

Green Bay: I would take out the line on the left of the logo, connecting the white to make the logo more clearly a “G” shape. Everything else is quite nice.

Houston: If any team could make a leather-finish helmet work, it’s definitely the Texans! I would also put your logo on the helmet, as it matches better with the overall old-time Western aesthetic. The number font is great too. 

Indianapolis: I love the integration of the “grommets” into the striping of the set!

Kansas City: The “jagged” striping is creative! Well done. The decision to go with yellow numbers on the road also works better with this iteration.

Chargers: This set is definitely one of my favorites. While I don’t love the white inserts, the decision to do with navy numbers on the alternate is a fantastic choice, as it really adds to the “primetime” feel of that uniform.

Las Vegas: The updated number font is quite nice, and your logo is superb. The neon lights alternate is super creative, I’d love to see how it could maybe be integrated with a team like the Miami Marlins.

Miami: Speaking of Miami, I love the striping pattern, and the switch to pink looks quite nice, though orange would work great, too. The vaporwave alternate is fantastic, it’s one of those “out there” designs for sure but I don’t think I’d hate to see it on the field, at least once!

Minnesota: You handled the prototype striping great on the main uniforms. My only suggestions would be to match the away striping to the home, in terms of thickness. Two thick purple stripes and a thin yellow stripe in between. I would also probably drop the logo from the pants, as it makes things a bit busy.

Giants: I love the idea behind the numbers, although it is a bit impractical, as the way you have it set up currently they would need 3 different sets of numbers: left, right, and single-digit versions. As I said, the concept behind it is fantastic, though.

All in all, these are undeniably very creative designs, and I admire your ability to try something new with every team! I’m looking forward to what you have next.

Minnesota- I REALLY like the home and roads. They fix the two problems I have with the current Vikings set- the numbers and the curve in the sleeve stripes. You came up with a new number font and the sleeve and pants stripes have a new pattern that I think works better than the curve the team currently uses. 

NY Giants- The logo is interesting. I like the idea to capitalize the NY, as it always felt odd for a team called the Giants to have lowercase letters in the logo. The negative space between the N and Y bugs me though. 

King Kong is a nice touch, but the Giants would have to work out a deal with NBC Universal 😛

Archived