Tampa Bay Lightning Concept

crazyboy335

Hello! I haven't been too active on this board in the last few years, but after a discussion with my friends over sports uniforms I decided to take a dive back into my concepts.

My first concept is for a team whose design has always intrigued me (as you may see from my previous attempts at concepts) - the Tampa Bay Lightning. Their Toronto knockoff uniforms have bothered me ever since they were revealed back in the day. With this concept, I've aimed to fix that with an overall tweak on the Lightning's image.

One thing I try to incorporate into my Tampa concepts is teal - in my opinion, teams in Florida should have a bright, bold look, which the Lightning have never tried to establish. I've added teal around the new center logo, as trim on the numbers, and as trim on the sweater stripes and lightning bolt on the leg.

This concept has a new primary and alternate logo for the Lightning. Their current logo looks imbalanced and bland for a hockey team - I've elected to keep the current lightning bolt, but the surrounding circle has been straightened out and centered behind the lightning bolt. An extra outline around the logo in teal seals it off from the rest of the uniform, so different logos aren't needed for the home and away sweaters.

The primary color has been tweaked to become more navy-ish, rather than the intense blue that they've used since their inception. It was pointed out to me that the navy is rather reminiscent of the Jets, but my justification in switching to navy is that it doesn't match the Leafs, who share a division with the Lightning.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I would greatly appreciate some feedback on these uniforms - it's fun to break away from my normal medium of stock cars, so if the demand is there I can create more.

18 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

The double blue scheme is more suited for Winnipeg and St. Louis (and Pittsburgh back in the day). You can't omit black entirely.

I agree. I think that you should use black as a base color, navy as a secondary, white as a tertiary, and teal as an accent. The concept itself is good, but the colors don't immediately scream "Tampa!" to me.

Here's a second version based on your feedback. The home uniforms have been changed to black and both uniforms now sport a new striping pattern

spacer.png

spacer.png

I wasn't sure how to include black into the away kit, so I decided to keep the three-color palette.

• crazyboy335 changed the title to Concepts by crazyboy335
  • crazyboy335 changed the title to Tampa Bay Lightning Concept

Archived