Big Little League: What if the MiLB had Class? (Rocket City added)

Bruins

23 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Okay, this is epic... I'm a sucker for the old timey looks and you nailed it.

22 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Oh wow, this is going to be an amazing series

21 hours ago, Bonnaroo42 said:

Woo this series is gonna be so dope! Loving the art-deco vibe and the overall presentation (especially some of those tertiary logos at the end), great to learn some new history. Can't wait!

19 hours ago, Josef_Bretones said:

Wonderful. I can't wait to see more.

16 hours ago, Blindsay said:

This could be the best MILB redesign I have ever seen on this site.

16 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Absolutely OUTSTANDING!!! What an inspired idea for a series. I can't wait to see what you have in store.  

16 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

This one is something the MiLB should consider in the future.

1 minute ago, eriqjaffe said:

That is fantastic.  Both the concept AND the presentation.

Wow, so impressed by and grateful for the great response on this! My all time most liked concept, so thank you all, I guess the time spent on it payed off! 

17 hours ago, QCS said:

Simply incredible presentation, pure class and it matches the feel you're going for. The home and road jerseys look fantastic, the stacked lettering of the road is something I didn't know looked awesome. Not bullish on the black alt, I can't help but think of some legibility issues with both the wordmark and number. I'd also like to see you use either a script "J" or the sun logo for the road cap, I don't really like the disconnect between the S for "Suns" while the jersey reads "Jacksonville". Your logo suite at the bottom is nothing short of fantastic and I can't wait to see how this series continues!

8 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I love this look, the colors, the Sun. I'm not sold on the "S" on it's own.

3 hours ago, mcrosby said:

If this first set is any indication, I'm really looking forward to this series. 

The gold on black pinstriping is a bit much on the eyes, I've always preferred pinstripes to be darker than the jersey. 

Thanks so much, guys. Honestly, all very valid critiques. As far as the all-black uniform goes, I really liked the look of the Vandy uni below and it just seemed right for a 1910's styled team.  I do agree the # might disappear from a distance though, good call on that. Gold numbers might've been better in hindsight. And with the S, like I said it's supposed to be able to be read as a J too, but I agree that's debatable. A different home and road hat wouldn't make for a cohesive set though imo, so as an homage to the 60's unis, I put the S on both. Would the Sun have been as the cap logo even with it on the sleeve? 

2LBlP6P.jpg

On 4/28/2020 at 10:21 PM, _DietDrPepper_ said:

The logos and presentation are off the charts as usual, my only complaint is that it needs a grey road set and a less out there alt. The logo set is fantastic and you make orange gold and black work much better than I've ever seen it work!  *cough Anaheim *cough* 

I'm excited to see what else you have in store! 

Thanks Doc! That is one thing I'm not willing to budge on, because grey would look so out of place in a very much intentionally sepia color scheme. I get where you're coming from though, and oh yeah it is Ducks colors isn't it! I didn't even notice.

23 hours ago, MJD7 said:

This is off to a great start! As others have said, the presentation and history behind the design is great, and it’s a great tribute to Jacksonville and its history in film.

As for the logos and uniforms themselves, you’ve done a great job here too! I love the home script, and the “S” insignia that doubles as a J is simply inspired. I would probably thin down the line-work on the sun logo, as something about it looks a little “creepy” right now, if that makes sense. I might try to take some inspiration from some of the Suns’ prior logos, while integrating them into your brand. I’m not as huge on the “Jacksonville” stacked wordmark, though with such a long city name I’m honestly not sure what else you could do. I also think a gold road uniform can work (see Florida State’s Sunday golds) but I think the shade you’ve gone with here might be a little too saturated. I love the “Night Show” uniform, as that would be a perfect uniform to watch under the lights.

It truly is a shame that Jacksonville switched to the Jumbo Shrimp, but you’ve brought them back to their previous glory, and then some! Great job!

22 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Can see why you say it looks creepy, looks like a cartoonish smile someone would have if he/she was plotting something evil

9 hours ago, scottyeagle said:

I get the reference to the old-timey moon face, but right now the sun looks like it just ate an entire pan of pot brownies.  I don't really know how to fix that, maybe the eyes or the general expression on his face, but having him look less high is probably a good idea.  Overall, though, I can tell you've put a good deal of thought into making a coherent identity, which I appreciate, and I look forward to seeing what else you have in store for us. 

Thanks again, guys! About the sun... I'm kinda glad to hear that. I definitely wanted him to be mildly creepy because those old Men in the Moon, especially the movie version, are majorly creepy. Brownie Stoned though, that's... that's different. Sorry about that.

Thanks everyone for the great comments! Awesome to hear you all liked it. I'm debating between new identities for the Rocket City Trash Pandas, Amarillo Sod Poodles, and Binghamton Rumble Ponies next. Which would you like to see?

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Bruins said:

I'm debating between new identities for the Rocket City Trash Pandas, Amarillo Sod Poodles, and Binghamton Rumble Ponies next. Which would you like to see?

By all that is holy, rid us of the insufferably imbecilic inanity that is the Rocket City Trash Pandas identity. 

If you're planning on going with Amarillo Armadillos, roll that out, otherwise I say go with Binghamton. "Rumble Ponies" makes me feel unclean.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

13 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

By all that is holy, rid us of the insufferably imbecilic inanity that is the Rocket City Trash Pandas identity. 

A simple name change to the 'Raccoons' don't hurt too much.

11 minutes ago, the admiral said:

If you're planning on going with Amarillo Armadillos, roll that out, otherwise I say go with Binghamton. "Rumble Ponies" makes me feel unclean.

Well, I suppose the 'Merry-go-rounds' but I don't think it fits well. Shorten it to 'Merrys' don't work either.

2 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

A simple name change to the 'Raccoons' don't hurt too much.

Well, I suppose the 'Merry-go-rounds' but I don't think it fits well. Shorten it to 'Merrys' don't work either.

Binghamton Merrys doesn't sound too bad actually. With proper branding it could fit nicely with nicknames like Sox, Maroons, Greys, etc. 

Gold Sox (29 seasons) and Dillas (16 seasons) have been the most prevalent team nicknames in Amarillo's minor league baseball history.

Triplets (46 seasons) - inspired by Binghamton being a part of the so-called "Triple Cities" with the neighboring villages of Endicott and Johnson City - graced local ball clubs longer than any other identity used by minor league teams in the area, while Bingoes (23 seasons) was the team name of record in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Binghamton Triplets is a pretty major league name, and I think Gold Sox is the name that everyone in Amarillo loves the most. As for Madison, it doesn’t have much baseball history (at least not that I know of). I think the name “Northern Alabama Rockets” or just “Alabama Rockets” works pretty well, and that they could have a 1950s space age-inspired brand.

spacer.png

RxrX5RD.png

As ItsSlothy noted, Madison, Alabama had no minor league baseball history to speak of prior to the arrival of the Rocket City Trash Pandas. The closest minor league ball clubs had been those based in neighboring Huntsville, the vast majority of which had borne the Stars name (30 seasons) that was clearly a nod to said city's long connection to U.S. government endeavors in the fields of rocketry and space exploration.

Good Lord, have you guys been helpful. @Brian in Boston, @the admiral, @Friedrich Stuart Macbeth, @_DietDrPepper_, @mcrosby & @ItsSlothy Thanks a ton for the input. Here's where I'm at with each:

Amarillo: I'd never heard of the Gold Sox, but honestly my very first thought for Amarillo was the Yellow Sox, but since yellow means fearful and it sounds like pee-soaked socks, I ditched it quickly. But that's pretty much a perfect suggestion, since it's along what I was thinking and it's got history behind it. Hard to see myself not bringing back the Amarillo Gold Sox. Amarillo Armadillos is special, but doesn't really feel in line with the intention of the series.

Binghamton: So Merries/Merrys sounds better and better the more I think about it. Recreation Park Carousel, the most famous in Binghamton, was opened in 1925 and Merries is a really good 1925 baseball name, like @mcrosby said.

Rocket City: I'm pretty sure this is gonna be the next team I post. I already have their nickname picked out, but the city name's proving more tricky. Should it be Madison because that where they're set? Or Huntsville because that's actually Rocket City? Or maybe Alabama, Northern Alabama or Madison? I'm leaning towards Huntsville rn.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

11 minutes ago, Bruins said:

Good Lord, have you guys been helpful. @Brian in Boston, @the admiral, @Friedrich Stuart Macbeth, @_DietDrPepper_, @mcrosby & @ItsSlothy Thanks a ton for the input. Here's where I'm at with each:

Amarillo: I'd never heard of the Gold Sox, but honestly my very first thought for Amarillo was the Yellow Sox, but since yellow means fearful and it sounds like pee-soaked socks, I ditched it quickly. But that's pretty much a perfect suggestion, since it's along what I was thinking and it's got history behind it. Hard to see myself not bringing back the Amarillo Gold Sox. Amarillo Armadillos is special, but doesn't really feel in line with the intention of the series.

Binghamton: So Merries/Merrys sounds better and better the more I think about it. Recreation Park Carousel, the most famous in Binghamton, was opened in 1925 and Merries is a really good 1925 baseball name, like @mcrosby said.

Rocket City: I'm pretty sure this is gonna be the next team I post. I already have their nickname picked out, but the city name's proving more tricky. Should it be Madison because that where they're set? Or Huntsville because that's actually Rocket City? Or maybe Alabama, Northern Alabama or Madison? I'm leaning towards Huntsville rn.

Amarillo Gold Sox, Binghamton Merries, and Huntsville get my votes. I'm excited to see what you've got in place of Trash Pandas, that detestable nickname. The more you get rid of these awful Brandiose nicknames the happier I will be. You're a hero. 

2 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

I work for the city of Madison (WI) and have to stop people with thick Southern accents mid-sentence to explain that they're calling Wisconsin far too often. 

I miss baklava from Jamie's.

3 hours ago, ItsSlothy said:

Binghamton Triplets is a pretty major league name, and I think Gold Sox is the name that everyone in Amarillo loves the most. As for Madison, it doesn’t have much baseball history (at least not that I know of). I think the name “Northern Alabama Rockets” or just “Alabama Rockets” works pretty well, and that they could have a 1950s space age-inspired brand.

I like Huntsville Stars, and you could still do the space age theme.  But then I think I would like to see the Las Vegas Stars with such a theme even more.  Maybe based on the famous Stardust sign?

Also, selfishly, I would love to see you take on the Appleton Foxes.  Wisconsin Timber Rattlers isn't too egregious by modern standards, but not at the expense of the name attached to one of MiLB's most successful clubs.

13 hours ago, NicDB said:

I like Huntsville Stars, and you could still do the space age theme.  But then I think I would like to see the Las Vegas Stars with such a theme even more.  Maybe based on the famous Stardust sign?

Also, selfishly, I would love to see you take on the Appleton Foxes.  Wisconsin Timber Rattlers isn't too egregious by modern standards, but not at the expense of the name attached to one of MiLB's most successful clubs.

Wait, wait, wait. Can I second "Appleton Foxes" return? Nothing against the T-Rats now, but the Foxes just have a better mouthfeel.

Some of the best presentation I've seen on here. I loved the JAX Suns, was saddened to hear that they re-branded as the Jumbo Shrimp (such a stupid MiLB trend). I like the concept that you went with, I'm a sucker for Vaudeville/old-timey era, love it! Please pass this along to the folks running the Jumbo Shrimp, im sure the fans would all appreciate a rebrand to the bygone days.
Looking forward to seeing more of your concepts!

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

On 4/30/2020 at 8:45 PM, mcrosby said:

Somehow, this thread has turned full Wisconsin.

Thread isn't full Wisconsin until we find out my old neighbor punched your cousin outside a Lamb of God show at the Rave because you can say whatever you want about him like seriously he doesn't care I mean it seriously like say whatever you want it's fine but if you EVER say ANYTHING about his FRIENDS?

Archived