CFL Project (Expansion in Canada & USA starts 5/4)

WideRight

Over on "Requests" you will see the premise of this project, and a request for possible cities for CFL expansion (in Canada and USA).  But, we are beginning this reimagining of the CFL with the BC Lions.  Just as a reminder:  Existing team names will stay the same, but logos will be new, and colors can change as needed.  After the current 9 teams are done we will look at expansion in Canada (3 more teams) and then the USA (4 teams) to reach a 16 team CFL. 

BC Lions:  

Perhaps my favorite identity in the CFL, so I kept the colors, kept the BC monogram, but wanted an updated cougar/puma/mountain lion logo.  Tried to create a new lion head logo about 5 times from different photos of cougars, but hated them all.  I found a great logo at https://logodix.com/mountain-lion  and decided to use that head as the focal point.  I built it into the monogram, then added a secondary logo by creating a full body to go with the head.  

For the uniforms I combined offset numbers (to align with the monogram) with a shoulder treatment akin to recent BC designs, but with orange, black and white all present together (unlike the recent unis). 

I am going West to East, so Edmonton will be next. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 15

Big fan of this update! I surprisingly like the chest stripes and modern number font. However, I'd fix the offset on the number because that's not going to look good on linemen and bigger guys. I'd also change the sleeve cuff on the home to orange, similar to the away having a white one. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Definitely have to go with Quebec.  Probably Halifax next in line. Third will be tough... London (Ontario)?  Thunder Bay Superiors?

USA - Are you thinking non-NFL or would you go for big markets to capture NFL offseason?  Especially with no XFL now.

Non-NFL - Portland, Salt Lake City or Boise, Milwaukee or St. Louis, Hartford

NFL - Seattle, Minnesota, Chicago, New York

Hey all,

Some great suggestions to improve the BC design.  I do need to do something to strengthen the full-body cougar, even if it does not appear on the uniforms at all. I am going to stick with the offset numbers, even though it is a bit weird and may not fully work in the real world, because it makes such sense with the offset BC as a nod to that identity.

Moving East (I decided to go West to East with redeigns) we get to Alberta and their two franchises.  FIrst up are the Edmonton Eskimos.  

I wanted to keep the tradition of the interlocked "E" logo, but also wanted to add something new, so the new logo incorporates the EE, but also an igloo and a football shape, all in a neat circular logo.  The EE motif returns with the sleeve stripes, while all the rest of the striping is based on a classic 5-stripe pattern.   For the secondary logo I pulled some elements from my fantasy team (Toronto Tundra) and its secondary moose logo.  How can we have a CFL without at least 1 moose logo?  

Hope you like it.  Always open to critiques and suggestions. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, Skycast said:

I like the re-imaged Edmonton logo but the EE gets a little lost with the striping to the left and right of it. I'm wondering how it would look without those, just the EE inside the green bar/stripe.

Or an outline on the EE portion.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Or even just changing the EE to white so the logo isn't as compartmentalized with its colors!

BC's jerseys give me a real late 00's Oregon State vibe (not necessarily a bad thing).  I agree that the raised/lowered numbers is an interesting idea, but not something that should exist in real life.  For the logos, I would like to see more consistency in the line widths.  You've got really thick lines on the head-only logo and really thin ones on the full body.  It might make sense to find a happy medium for those.  

2 hours ago, Skycast said:

I like the re-imaged Edmonton logo but the EE gets a little lost with the striping to the left and right of it. I'm wondering how it would look without those, just the EE inside the green bar/stripe.

I see what you guys are saying about losing the EE.  What do you think of this version (I also recolored the football at the bottom to add a bit more yellow. 

spacer.png

• Like 9

Sorry Skycast.  No outlaw.  I went a different direction.  

Calgary Stampeders

When your city name starts with C and your theme is horses, you better expect a horseshoe logo.  And you get one.  I combined a horse with the C-horseshoe.  I also wanted to retain a predominantly red color scheme with black and silver accents.  Also, something about a yoke just makes me think "Western", like a cowboy shirt, so I wanted to hint at a yoke on the home and go full yoke on the away. I also went "Old West" with the font and the numbers. 

Thoughts and critiques welcome. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Love 1

BC looks good, but I have a couple suggestions. I'd personally darken the orange and tweak the wordmark. With a white helmet, white pants and minimal black, a darker orange would help give the uniform a bit more balance contrast wise, and the Lions have traditionally used a darker shade. The "Lions" part of the font looks more like something you'd see in the background of a breakdance video than for a sports team. If you're going to have the sleeve stripes continue onto the chest, I would lose the black ends, as it feels a little disjointed when the two stripes above it continue while that one doesnt. 

Also the offkilter numbers seem odd on a football jersey. Not necessarily a bad thing, but definitely not something I'm used to. Otherwise great job.

Edmonton is fantastic. No critiques. Solid upgrade all around.

Calgary is good as well, but with the intricacy and length of the wordmark, I would maybe put just a bigger version of the 'STAMPS' one, sans horseshoe on the chest so it's more legible/recognizable from a distance. That, or increase the size of the normal "STAMPEDERS" mark to be more akin to the word marks seen on college jerseys.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

• Like 1

Wasn't sure where Requests was, but if you're looking for city ideas...

• Canada - agree on Quebec, Halifax...maybe add a second Ontario team (London, Windsor) or Victoria
  • USA - Boise, Portland, Albany, or Fargo...Anchorage would be unique, but not sure any facility exists

B.C. looks great!  Uniform numbers a great idea.

• Like 1