MLS 2022 by Hawkeye15 (Keeper Kits and Extras)

Hawkeye15

Not a fan of ditching gray for Minnesota, that look suited them well, and even black would be preferable to another white primary team IMO. I like ditching the United but it'd be easier to just make "Minnesota Loons" official and ditch the crest's text.

That said the jerseys are solid. The powder blue and the green alt are great, but the full vs partial crest application should switch (full on the blue, partial on the green)

Cincy's home jersey is a cool idea, but the interruption for the ad is kinda awkward. Maybe just make the ad blue with a thick white outline...? The away and alt are a bit plain for my taste. Also, they need an Orange-out home game per their tradition.

Columbus is nice, no changes necessary. The flag alt is a classy take on their failed attempt, I like it.

Chicago's home might be palatable in a vacuum but desperately needs the hoop. The bevels on the away are really nice and the firefighter alt is nice. The crossed tools are cool, but they would be cooler with the C around them.

Overall solid work! I appreciate the different number fonts for each team too.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Minnesota looks good in general, the blue being the best and the green working well as a third. However, I agree with what is said above about gray working better than white for the primary. With the white base I think the wing pops too much, to the point where it's the only thing I can see when I look at the jersey. I think going with a gray base or even just adding some color to the collar or sleeves would improve the balance a lot. Lastly, the light blue Target on the wing clashes and looks cluttered, but I understand that is difficult to avoid.

11 hours ago, Hawkeye15 said:

On to Minnesota SC:

L9tVLBa.png

kSnGFj8.png

KCqonXy.png

aMAy3Xw.png

• Despite gray being so unique, it can look quite drab on Minnesota and even with a big wing on it, the wing doesn't stand out as much as it should. A white shirt makes the wing stand out, it brings black and white scheme to a team called the Loons as well. That was the goal here.
  • The blue shirt is a nod to Minnesota's NASL days and features the same wing, sublimated in this case.
  • The green shirt is a nod to the North woods. I think green works well for Minnesota-based sports teams (sans Vikings).

RdAyMDj.png

I would love to get feedback on both Cincinnati and Minnesota.

Nice work! I really like the secondary and it reminds me of the Tottenham secondary kit in the 13/14 season.

ALL-MEDALS-LOGOLYMPIAD-X.png

I think that the away kit on Minnesota should definitely include a darker grey and/or black wing on it. I think that it will make it pop more. Also the third kit just doesn't feel right. I get the whole woods and forest with the Minnesota theme, but it seems out of place on the spectrum of the kits. Really loving the concept though, especially the inclusion of those concept schedules. 

CtXlxlr.png

RjIX198.png

jKqbQml.png

McnbbSh.png

• The defining feature of Union kits has been the centered vertical stripe. I wanted to keep that feature and lean into the snake theme like they never have before. The rest of the primary kit is straightforward to let that vertical stripe stand out.
  • The secondary kit takes the colors of the Philadelphia flag. It has white shorts to differentiate it from a few other yellow, blue, yellow designs in the league (spoiler alert).
  • The third kit is a throwback to the Bethlehem Steel. You'll notice it also has a throwback sponsor logo. It's not dissimilar to the Union's attempt at this a few years ago: https://league-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/mp6/PHI_tertiary(FORMATTED).jpg

0afPicS.png

And that's it for the North division! We'll move clockwise to the Northeast division next!

Here's the preview of the Northeast division:

R7UhorH.png

• Montreal: small changes to the outline of the shield to add more white to the logo and reduce the amount of gray
  • New England: since New England Revolution is such a long name to but on a logo, I went simplistic instead and focused it around an NE monogram. It's a 6-sided badge with 6 stars for the six NE states and features the tree from the NE flag. It's meant to look like a shield with embossed features in all the elements of the logo. This is the final product of work I started in this thread: https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/120800-new-england-revolution-logo/?tab=comments#comment-3051638
  • New York City FC: no changes
  • New York Red Bulls: no changes
  • Toronto FC: removed the drop shadow from the "Toronto" wordmark and tweaked the dark gray color slightly

On 5/4/2020 at 11:35 PM, Hawkeye15 said:

On to Minnesota SC:

L9tVLBa.png

kSnGFj8.png

KCqonXy.png

aMAy3Xw.png

• Despite gray being so unique, it can look quite drab on Minnesota and even with a big wing on it, the wing doesn't stand out as much as it should. A white shirt makes the wing stand out, it brings black and white scheme to a team called the Loons as well. That was the goal here.
  • The blue shirt is a nod to Minnesota's NASL days and features the same wing, sublimated in this case.
  • The green shirt is a nod to the North woods. I think green works well for Minnesota-based sports teams (sans Vikings).

RdAyMDj.png

I would love to get feedback on both Cincinnati and Minnesota.

I like Ike! 

bOMZ4F8.png

sBJQtTY.png

RgZzO02.png

xMfBZNF.png

• I wanted to rely simply on those blue and black stripes for the primary. They're unique to MLS, and going with a thinner stripe gives it a more classic feel that the full collar complements well.
  • The secondary is inspired by the flag of Montreal. The triangular pattern inside the red cross is taken from the Montreal Biosphere. I hate the way the sponsor logo fits into this shirt, but I struggled to come up with ideas to make it fit in better.
  • The third is frankly just a way to use a color scheme I really wanted to make use of somewhere... and I had no serious inspirations for a Montreal third shirt. I hope it doesn't look too much like a golf polo.

Zef3fN0.png

I would buy that second kit in a heartbeat. I think that it would look really sick if you widened the stripes on the home, and made them with the same geometric pattern as the second kit, but if you want to go with a classic feel, I understand. Also the third shirt has a cool color scheme, but the diagonal stripes do kind of make it look like a golf polo. 

We'll go quick turnaround on another concept because why not.

LOkbPQ3.png

Y9SqldM.png

b8ogUt8.png

JXz0Cei.png

• I think the Revs should embrace the white X on the front of their primary shirts in reference to revolutionary soldiers. It would give their designs a very unique, distinctive look not only within MLS but in club soccer in general. Wolfsburg uses something similar, but their commitment to it comes and goes.
  • The secondary is obviously NE flag inspired.
  • The third is inspired by the many lighthouses in New England, so it features a subtle aged brick pattern on the shirt.
  • I would love more feedback and comments on the shield logo, especially now that you've seen it on the uniforms.

ImjdtIf.png

Archived