Minor League Spins on MLB Identities

17 hours ago, QCS said:

I'd like it if minor league team's alts resembled the parent team. For example, the Knights have their own identity and branding, using black, gold, and white and entirely unique logos and wordmarks but had that SOX fauxback that I kinda wish became permanent, if only for that cap. Of course, the Knights also wear pinstripes so that's another connection to the ChiSox but I think relying on the parent team's brand results in a weaker brand overall, one that doesn't connect to the minor league city and also reduces the parent club's brand because it can potential cause confusion (not that it's all that likely, but when the Red Sox and PawSox's jerseys are basically identical I draw the line). Additionally, if the Major League-style jersey is an alt, it helps reduce the amount of stupid food-based alts we see. It's win-win!

Yes this is a good idea.  Ive always thought that minor league teams should have their own identity, but something like an alternate could be affiliate themed since these jerseys are usually used on a 1-3 season use rotation.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

That Cubs patch on the front of the Cougars jersey...yikes.

My guess is it was meant to be a sleeve patch, but due to the sleeveless jersey and players wearing their own undershirts it had to go somewhere.

On 5/4/2020 at 7:16 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

and as usual, I strongly disagree with you.

Affiliations change, so the same team could be completely changing it's look every so often.  If I'm in a minor league town, I'd rather think of the team as "our" team, with an identity that I can get behind, rather than just put it in my face that it's nothing but a puppet state for some other entity.

It reminds me of when my hometown Idaho Falls Braves switched affiliations from the Braves to the Padres but kept the Braves name for a few seasons but applied the Padres’s branding. After having gone through many name changes ever few years as the short season Rookie team changed affiliates, the Braves name was popular in IF because we all had TBS and could watch every Atlanta game. When the affiliation finally changed after many years, the local club tried to keep the branding as long as they could. They finally switched to the Idaho Falls Padres with the non-localized swinging friar branding, which never really caught in a predominantly Mormon community. The silver lining is that we ended up getting pretty solid Chukars branding (though they really need an interlocked IF logo, if just as a secondary) out of the failure of the Padres to catch on.

Atlanta
front.jpg

San Diego

82633-NNO27Fr.jpg82633-NNO12Fr.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Archived