Legendary Sports Moments Had Things Gone Differently

Red Comet

I was watching an old video the 1994 Chiefs-Broncos Monday Night Game and something caught my attention. With less than 1 minute and 30 seconds to go, John Elway led the Broncos on yet another miraculous comeback at Mile High Stadium capped by him keeping the ball for a touchdown run with 10 men on the field. The play stood due to 7 men being on the line of scrimmage at the time so there you go. This probably would've been one of his most memorable comebacks had it not been for Joe Montana pulling out some of his comeback magic to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. 

Elway TD run at 2:40

So, that made me think of something. I wonder how many events from games (any sports obviously) that we forgot now would be legendary had things gone differently?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like the Rajai Davis home run in Game 7 of the 2016 World Series has to be one of the best entries this category can have. That dude, that situation, off Chapman, as a key play to give the Indians their first title in 68 years and deny the Cubs their first in 108, would've been an all-time moment.

To go a slightly different route in the category -- LeBron dunking over Draymond Green to secure the win in Game 7 of the 2016 Finals would've been one of the great moments in NBA history (and I don't think that's a biased view). Would've been an iconic play.

6fQjS3M.png

Marcus Paige's 3 against Villanova in the 2016 championship game. If Jenkins doesn't hit his own 3 and UNC wins in overtime, that becomes one of the all-time great shots in college basketball.

EDIT: Got beat to the punch. Another would be Gordon Hayward's shot for Butler.

ExJworW.png

7 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Marcus Paige's 3 against Villanova in the 2016 championship game. If Jenkins doesn't hit his own 3 and UNC wins in overtime, that becomes one of the all-time great shots in college basketball.

EDIT: Got beat to the punch. Another would be Gordon Hayward's shot for Butler.

It’s all right. It also would’ve gone down as one of the all time chokes, by Villanova.

Near and dear to me: Wisconsin's huge 2015 win over undefeated Kentucky in the national semi-final.  Had they won the national title two days later, I think that would be a more famous moment...now it's just bitter-sweet. Badger fans know what it would have been like had the Miracle on Ice been followed up by a loss to Finland.

Agree with the above poster...the Minneapolis Miracle would have been huge had the Vikings gone on to win the Super Bowl.  Now, particularly given what happened the next week, it's the Meaningless Miracle.  At the time, it felt to me like the moment the curse was reversed.  The Vikes are supposed to lose games that way.  Had they won the Super Bowl, it would have been viewed as the moment the Vikings stopped being those Vikings.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, nelroy78 said:

It’s all right. It also would’ve gone down as one of the all time chokes, by Villanova.

Villanova had the stigma of the team that always choked come march madness until their 2016 run happened

My favorite team specific ones:

With better pitching and more luck (specifically 2004): Yankees utterly dominate the 2000s and the Red Sox curse of the Bambino continues.

Not a sporting event, but Belichick does not resign shortly after being hired by the Jets and Brady gets drafted months later to Gang Green. Belichick dynasty could have been based in the Meadowlands instead of Foxboro.

What if Aguero does not score against QPR in the last matchday of 2012. Manchester United instead of City would have been Champions of England.

If the referee doesn't miss a blatant offsides in the Flyers v Islanders Stanley Cup Final, the Flyers win another cup and have that momentum behind them going into their rivalry with the Oilers (even without that momentum, they took the Oilers to 7 games twice) and the Islanders aren't the 4-in-a-row dynasty that they're most known for now.  Hell - maybe even Gretzky doesn't become the superstar he is, because it's possible the Oilers don't become the dynasty they were (though they'd certainly have won a bunch of cups... so maybe that's not a good point.)

Had there been coaches challenges at the time, NHL history might be dramatically different.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/a-coachs-challenge-might-have-changed-history-for-flyers-and-pat-quinn

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If Lee Evans catches the ball, or alternatively if Billy Cundiff kicks a simple field goal, it's possible that Eli Manning would have one less Super Bowl ring than he does currently.  It's also highly likely in this scenario that the Ravens don't go out and sign one of the greatest kickers of all time as an UDFA the next fall.

spacer.png

16 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Jermaine Kearse catch towards the end of Super Bowl XLIX is high up there. Right up with Tyree and Manningham but lacked the ending those other catches had.

After reading the topic, this is the first play that comes to mind. But they just had to throw the ball on the one...

6uXNWAo.png

I know I left out the obvious (What if Mo Lewis did not hurt Bledsoe) on the last post but we were extremely close to having Both Brady and Belichick on the Jets sigh..

Some not involving my favorite teams:

Would the 2003 Panthers be as known as the 2002 Bucs, 2000 Ravens and 1986 Bears as the greatest defense of all time if they won the Super Bowl?

If Brady was not injured in Week 1 2008, would the Patriots have been greater than the previous season?

If Karl Malone stayed healthy in 2004 and the Lakers won the NBA Finals? Shaq and Kobe stay for at least another season?

If the NBA said no way the Supersonics move in 2008. Would there have been an expansion team in the Sooner State?

Archived