Project CLT (12/30)

sky1324

Welcome to Project CLT! I'm aiming to demonstrate Charlotte's unique potential for sports names and how many people don't bother to do their research and end up with either a generic name or one that doesn't actually represent the city itself. (By the way, it's pronounced See-El-Tee, like the airport code.)

I have several rules for myself to try and stretch my own creativity. 

1. cannot use the "Carolina" geographic name. I hate this name and I think its usage lends itself to creating a team not unique to Charlotte, which is what I'm aiming to avoid.
  2. Every name must have a direct inspiration from the Charlotte metro area. Mecklenburg County and its nine surrounding counties are all fair game. 
  3. I cannot use regal, pirate, or aviation names. Of course, the easy thing to do is something like Monarchs, Regals, Kings, or Dukes. I'm showing you don't need those for Charlotte. Piracy names make no sense, the coast is 250+ miles away from Charlotte (and coastal residents will often seek shelter in Charlotte during hurricanes because of how inland it is). Aviation names are slightly better, as the Carolinas Aviation Museum is in Charlotte, but Kill Devil Hills is 300+ miles away and I think the aviation names are overplayed anyway.
  4. cannot use any name currently or formerly used by a Charlotte sports team. No Panthers, Hornets, Knights, Checkers, Hounds, Bobcats, Cougars, Orioles, etc.
  5. must use either blue or green in my color schemes. Charlotte is a "green city" and blue is often associated with the city itself. Both colors are the base of our two flags.

These names are meant to be used for any sport, but some are more suited to one sport than others. For example, there are several names with "FC" in them. That's clearly meant for soccer. I've come up with 30 names based on 19 inspirations and I'll be going through them in a random order. I'll be posting them three at a time, basically as soon as I get done with them. With all that said, I'm going to be doing less updates than I normally would, but feel free to leave any kind of comments you feel you should. If you think something will seriously elevate my work, by all means, let me know! One last thing: no uniforms, just because that's a little too much time I would spend on this project, plus each name isn't meant for one sport or another.

Without further ado, presenting Project CLT #1: the Charlotte Firebirds!

spacer.png

You may be wondering where the name comes from. Well, in front of the Mint Museum and Knight Theater is a massive statue named Firebird. If you want to know more about the statue itself (it's pretty interesting), you can check that out here. Of course, that odd form wouldn't make for a great sports logo, so I only took the name from the statue. I wanted to represent something pretty common: a geometric phoenix-like creature rising. Keeping with my blue constraints, the color scheme utilizes black and electric blue highlights that pop. The secondary is the famous Charlotte Crown, but modified to fit the geometric aesthetic the bird uses. 

Up next, Project CLT #2: the Charlotte Patriots!

spacer.png

I know about the New England Patriots, so this obviously wouldn't be used for football. That said, Charlotte has a deep and fascinating Revolutionary War history. The Battle of Charlotte stalled General Cornwallis as he tried to march up the South, leading to him writing in his diary that Charlottetown (as it was known back then) was "hornet's nest of rebellion". Obviously this is why Charlotte's NBA team is called the Hornets but the rest of Charlotte's rebellious history deserves a look as well. The logo takes plenty of inspiration from Charlotte's official flag (not the civic one, we have two, but don't get them confused) with the color scheme and Scottish striping (the Charlotte area was a hotbed for Scottish immigration). However, the seal has been replaced with the Charlotte Crown, residing within the many circles that emblazon the city's flag. The secondary is the crosses in a rectangular fashion, color swapped for uses on light backgrounds.

For today's final team, presenting Project CLT #3: Charlotte 1768 FC!

spacer.png

This is one of those soccer names i was talking about earlier, by the way. The name comes from the year Charlottetown was incorporated, 1768. The primary is a shield with a stylized hornet's nest on it, leaning into hornet imagery without being called the "Hornets". The font I used is Rockwell Std Condensed, the same font the old Hornets used and one I feel really represents Charlotte (along with Futura, the font used on the presentation). With other teams like San Diego 1904 FC and Mainz 05 also named after years, Charlotte 1768 serves to hearken back to the city's heritage while creating an identity future generations of Charlotteans can adore.

So that's it for today! What do you think?

C&C Welcome!

the user formerly known as cdclt

While the design is a good start for all three, I am not sure what makes a name like “Patriots” or a year of incorporation unique. They have both been done before by many teams. (Not the same year of course, but you get it)

I also have seen you advocate this firebird multiple times, but I still don’t get why this is the name you are taking to the top of the hill. The article says it is only 10 years old, bought to just be displayed outside the art museum. Isn’t there more history in this town to beat the shiny bird outside the art museum?

I understand the pride in a city, but that whole area for sports kind of feels like Arizona to me. Phoenix, like Charlotte, is a city that could stand alone with a pro team, but why not claim a whole untapped region given the opportunity. I don’t think it’s a lack of research on anyone’s part, but an approach that doesn’t make the team’s name so specific that it isolates potential markets. I’m sorry if all of this comes off like I’m lacking a clue of what I’m talking about, but I truly just want to understand your perspective here.

1. I think the wings of the bird could stand to be more detailed and less boxy. But the general shape of it is cool and I usually appreciate bird logos of this variety. The crown is also cool.

2. The design featuring the Hornets nest has the most potential to be something really unique. I'm not sure the shape of the logo fits for it. I'm getting a baseball vibe from it. Some more detail in the nest could be helpful too.

Excited to see your other ideas too.

9 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

While the design is a good start for all three, I am not sure what makes a name like “Patriots” or a year of incorporation unique. They have both been done before by many teams. (Not the same year of course, but you get it)

I also have seen you advocate this firebird multiple times, but I still don’t get why this is the name you are taking to the top of the hill. The article says it is only 10 years old, bought to just be displayed outside the art museum. Isn’t there more history in this town to beat the shiny bird outside the art museum?

I understand the pride in a city, but that whole area for sports kind of feels like Arizona to me. Phoenix, like Charlotte, is a city that could stand alone with a pro team, but why not claim a whole untapped region given the opportunity. I don’t think it’s a lack of research on anyone’s part, but an approach that doesn’t make the team’s name so specific that it isolates potential markets. I’m sorry if all of this comes off like I’m lacking a clue of what I’m talking about, but I truly just want to understand your perspective here.

Of course, some of the names aren't entirely unique. With 30 names some are bound to be better than others. I've taken a shine to the name Firebirds because mostly I think it sounds cool and it reflects something about the city I think most people don't realize. I'll ask you this: why do you think the old Hornets brand is so loved? It's because it's a name unique to the city and a brand built to reflect that. I'm saying that a team doesn't have to represent the whole region and that conflating the city of Charlotte with both Carolinas is ignorant and dilutes the city's identity. Charlotte is a very new "large city" and as such the culture is still developing. Sports teams act as representatives of their city, so you'd want them to look like they fit in. By presenting the city as "Carolina" you've taken it and equated it to the entire region, which isn't right. Thanks for the feedback, the next few names should be a little better.

4 hours ago, Hawkeye15 said:

1. I think the wings of the bird could stand to be more detailed and less boxy. But the general shape of it is cool and I usually appreciate bird logos of this variety. The crown is also cool.

2. The design featuring the Hornets nest has the most potential to be something really unique. I'm not sure the shape of the logo fits for it. I'm getting a baseball vibe from it. Some more detail in the nest could be helpful too.

Excited to see your other ideas too.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm definitely going to update the hornet's nest design, I think that one has plenty of self-recycling potential (not for this project, of course). I want to avoid using shields/roundels for all of these, so I went with a different shape but I can see why that would lead to baseball.

I love that you incorporated the cross pattern from the flag in the second identity. I'd like to see them combine the crown, cross, and Hornets nest into one shield. Something along the lines of what Atletico Madrid uses without the bear and tree. The color scheme from your first set would be my preference but with the mint green added to pay respect to the SG. However I like #3 the most out of these sets, I'd go with #2 if it used either of the other two schemes. The cross pattern from the flag would look great on one of our kits.

I wasn’t aware the old Hornets were so loved. I am pretty young, from the opposite coast and don’t keep tabs on basketball, but Ive always found the identity eye catching so I 100% believe you (Though the alternating stripe colors on one of their older jerseys does throw me off a little). I see what you mean for the thread concept with the “doesn’t have to be”. I think it’s a fun idea and would love to see it for other cities too. I enjoy the perspective from a native of the city. I would not be able to do this with San Jose or Phoenix so I see how large the task is. To touch that last point, from the perspective of my own city, the Coyotes, Suns, D-Backs and Cardinals don’t actually seem to do much when it comes to playing up the city. They mostly make a point to play up the whole valley because it captures a wider audience that is roped into Phoenix when it comes to outsider knowledge.

On the other hand, the San Jose Sharks make sure to make a point about being San Jose’s team. We are a big city but are vastly overshadowed by the other two cities we call neighbors. That being said, the Bay is the Bay so there is no question that they feed that “Bay Area’s team” trend that all teams do here. I guess every market is different and I’m very fascinated by it. Looking forward to learning something about the city through this thread! Keep them coming.

2 hours ago, qckgnc said:

I love that you incorporated the cross pattern from the flag in the second identity. I'd like to see them combine the crown, cross, and Hornets nest into one shield. Something along the lines of what Atletico Madrid uses without the bear and tree. The color scheme from your first set would be my preference but with the mint green added to pay respect to the SG. However I like #3 the most out of these sets, I'd go with #2 if it used either of the other two schemes. The cross pattern from the flag would look great on one of our kits.

That's a great idea! That's probably the direction I'll go for another name I have on the list (and my preferred MLS name). You say "our" kits, are you another Charlottean? Either way, thanks for the feedback!

39 minutes ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

I wasn’t aware the old Hornets were so loved. I am pretty young, from the opposite coast and don’t keep tabs on basketball, but Ive always found the identity eye catching so I 100% believe you (Though the alternating stripe colors on one of their older jerseys does throw me off a little). I see what you mean for the thread concept with the “doesn’t have to be”. I think it’s a fun idea and would love to see it for other cities too. I enjoy the perspective from a native of the city. I would not be able to do this with San Jose or Phoenix so I see how large the task is. To touch that last point, from the perspective of my own city, the Coyotes, Suns, D-Backs and Cardinals don’t actually seem to do much when it comes to playing up the city. They mostly make a point to play up the whole valley because it captures a wider audience that is roped into Phoenix when it comes to outsider knowledge.

On the other hand, the San Jose Sharks make sure to make a point about being San Jose’s team. We are a big city but are vastly overshadowed by the other two cities we call neighbors. That being said, the Bay is the Bay so there is no question that they feed that “Bay Area’s team” trend that all teams do here. I guess every market is different and I’m very fascinated by it. Looking forward to learning something about the city through this thread! Keep them coming.

Yeah, the Hornets' throwback look is probably the most beloved sports-related thing in the city. It was our first pro sports team (not that I remember, I'm also young) and the name had a direct connection to the city along with looking fantastic. The different colored pinstripes actually also mean something: the purple is for the Hornets, the dark blue for Duke, light blue for UNC, and green for UNC Charlotte. As much as I'd love to do something like this for another city, I simply don't have the knowledge needed to make the deep cuts like I am for Charlotte. I remember in SFGiants' defunct MLB thread that possible Giants move to San Jose really emphasized the San José part, so I'd imagine there's plenty of pride there (as well as a bit of irritation in being roped into the Bay Area, but I can't be sure). These next three names should give you something you never knew about the QC!

First up for today, Project CLT #4: the Charlotte Records!

spacer.png

Everyone's heard of bluegrass, right? Well, I'll bet you didn't know that the genre's name comes from Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Band, and that his first ever record was recorded in Charlotte, not Nashville or Kentucky! In fact, by the late 1930s, Charlotte was the nation's leading producer in records (though of course that's not true anymore). There's a plaque on South Tryon that commemorates this feat, which is what you see in the "inspiration" box. As for the logos, I thought an actual record would be unique and fitting. The gold plays into both "gold records" and a touch of Charlotte's royal moniker. It says "Baseball Club" on the logo, but that could easily be replaced with any sport, so it's just there as an example.The secondaries are the record surrounded by a "C" for Charlotte and that "C" in the style of a record. I think this name represents a part of Charlotte's history not many know about, making it perfect for this project!

Next, Project CLT #5: the Charlotte Electrics!

spacer.png

Charlotte is known as "The New Energy Capital" with several energy companies headquartered in the city, most notably Duke Energy (quick aside: you know the bottle opener-shaped skyscraper in the Charlotte skyline? That's the Duke Energy Center and it's one of two buildings in that style, the other is in Shanghai). As such, I thought it appropriate for a team to take inspiration from it (this theme will come up again). The logo is a mostly closed "C" with a simple lightning bolt going through it, quickly and efficiently communicating the team's name. The green comes from Charlotte's use of green, it's on the civil flag (the one with the crown, not the blue one) and lots and lots of trash cans in the city. The yellow is simply to highlight the lightning bolt, nothing special about its shade. The secondary is just the lightning bolt. 

Third, Project CLT #6: the Charlotte Greenbacks!

spacer.png

Originally this was going to be Cash FC, but I thought Greenbacks would make it more applicable to other sports. Maybe a soccer team could use Cash FC and be nicknamed the Greenbacks? Anyway, Charlotte is known for its banking economy yet no team has referenced that (in fact, Charlotte is the nation's second largest center of banking, after New York). Additionally, Charlotte used to host a national mint, founded after the gold rush to process the gold found. That structure was bought and moved to its current location Uptown, where it serves as the Mint Museum of Art. The logo is an italicized "C" with a bill trailing it. The number and text are just examples, they would probably be filled in with the year of founding if this team was real. The secondary is the "C" by itself. I think this one has a ton of potential and a better designer than me could probably do something really cool with this idea.

There we go, three more down! What do you think? C&C Wanted!

18 hours ago, QCS said:

Welcome to Project CLT! I'm aiming to demonstrate Charlotte's unique potential for sports names and how many people don't bother to do their research and end up with either a generic name or one that doesn't actually represent the city itself. (By the way, it's pronounced See-El-Tee, like the airport code.)

I have several rules for myself to try and stretch my own creativity. 

1. cannot use the "Carolina" geographic name. I hate this name and I think its usage lends itself to creating a team not unique to Charlotte, which is what I'm aiming to avoid.
  2. Every name must have a direct inspiration from the Charlotte metro area. Mecklenburg County and its nine surrounding counties are all fair game. 
  3. I cannot use regal, pirate, or aviation names. Of course, the easy thing to do is something like Monarchs, Regals, Kings, or Dukes. I'm showing you don't need those for Charlotte. Piracy names make no sense, the coast is 250+ miles away from Charlotte (and coastal residents will often seek shelter in Charlotte during hurricanes because of how inland it is). Aviation names are slightly better, as the Carolinas Aviation Museum is in Charlotte, but Kill Devil Hills is 300+ miles away and I think the aviation names are overplayed anyway.
  4. cannot use any name currently or formerly used by a Charlotte sports team. No Panthers, Hornets, Knights, Checkers, Hounds, Bobcats, Cougars, Orioles, etc.
  5. must use either blue or green in my color schemes. Charlotte is a "green city" and blue is often associated with the city itself. Both colors are the base of our two flags.

These names are meant to be used for any sport, but some are more suited to one sport than others. For example, there are several names with "FC" in them. That's clearly meant for soccer. I've come up with 30 names based on 19 inspirations and I'll be going through them in a random order. I'll be posting them three at a time, basically as soon as I get done with them. With all that said, I'm going to be doing less updates than I normally would, but feel free to leave any kind of comments you feel you should. If you think something will seriously elevate my work, by all means, let me know! One last thing: no uniforms, just because that's a little too much time I would spend on this project, plus each name isn't meant for one sport or another.

Without further ado, presenting Project CLT #1: the Charlotte Firebirds!

spacer.png

You may be wondering where the name comes from. Well, in front of the Mint Museum and Knight Theater is a massive statue named Firebird. If you want to know more about the statue itself (it's pretty interesting), you can check that out here. Of course, that odd form wouldn't make for a great sports logo, so I only took the name from the statue. I wanted to represent something pretty common: a geometric phoenix-like creature rising. Keeping with my blue constraints, the color scheme utilizes black and electric blue highlights that pop. The secondary is the famous Charlotte Crown, but modified to fit the geometric aesthetic the bird uses. 

Up next, Project CLT #2: the Charlotte Patriots!

spacer.png

I know about the New England Patriots, so this obviously wouldn't be used for football. That said, Charlotte has a deep and fascinating Revolutionary War history. The Battle of Charlotte stalled General Cornwallis as he tried to march up the South, leading to him writing in his diary that Charlottetown (as it was known back then) was "hornet's nest of rebellion". Obviously this is why Charlotte's NBA team is called the Hornets but the rest of Charlotte's rebellious history deserves a look as well. The logo takes plenty of inspiration from Charlotte's official flag (not the civic one, we have two, but don't get them confused) with the color scheme and Scottish striping (the Charlotte area was a hotbed for Scottish immigration). However, the seal has been replaced with the Charlotte Crown, residing within the many circles that emblazon the city's flag. The secondary is the crosses in a rectangular fashion, color swapped for uses on light backgrounds.

For today's final team, presenting Project CLT #3: Charlotte 1768 FC!

spacer.png

This is one of those soccer names i was talking about earlier, by the way. The name comes from the year Charlottetown was incorporated, 1768. The primary is a shield with a stylized hornet's nest on it, leaning into hornet imagery without being called the "Hornets". The font I used is Rockwell Std Condensed, the same font the old Hornets used and one I feel really represents Charlotte (along with Futura, the font used on the presentation). With other teams like San Diego 1904 FC and Mainz 05 also named after years, Charlotte 1768 serves to hearken back to the city's heritage while creating an identity future generations of Charlotteans can adore.

So that's it for today! What do you think?

C&C Welcome!

I'm here for this. Union County reporting in.  Really like the hive logo for 1768 FC. It looks similar to what's on the CMPD police cars.

mainescarf.png

5 minutes ago, SNBSlugger said:

I'm here for this. Union County reporting in.  Really like the hive logo for 1768 FC. It looks similar to what's on the CMPD police cars.

Thanks for the feedback! When I started on 1768 I had the idea for a hornet's nest and I knew I had seen a minimalist design before but I couldn't quite place it until about midway through I thought "CMPD! That's what it is!" I had to try and make mine unique while also recognizable and clean. 

1 hour ago, QCS said:

That's a great idea! That's probably the direction I'll go for another name I have on the list (and my preferred MLS name). You say "our" kits, are you another Charlottean? Either way, thanks for the feedback!

Born and raised! CMC main, and walked the stage at Bojangles before I joined the service. I'm excited for the team, would your preferred name happen to be Charlotte Town FC? That seems to be pretty popular among fans and the SG. You're welcome for the feedback, I look forward to seeing what else you cook up.

3 minutes ago, qckgnc said:

Born and raised! CMC main, and walked the stage at Bojangles before I joined the service. I'm excited for the team, would your preferred name happen to be Charlotte Town FC? That seems to be pretty popular among fans and the SG. You're welcome for the feedback, I look forward to seeing what else you cook up.

Big fan of Town FC. That's actually one of the names on the list (it's 19th, so it'll be a few days before I get to it) but I'm almost certain I'll go with a combination of cross, crown, and hive like you suggested. 

I really appreciate the blurbs about the history behind the names. As a new Charlottean (been here about a year), I'm learning a lot about the city and it's fun recognizing what I DO know in these concepts. 

16 hours ago, QCS said:

Big fan of Town FC. That's actually one of the names on the list (it's 19th, so it'll be a few days before I get to it) but I'm almost certain I'll go with a combination of cross, crown, and hive like you suggested. 

Huge fan, I thought that name was great back when Marcus Smith was heading up a bid. I even tweeted a screenshot from the Bigsoccer forum at the team when the list of registered names dropped. That's the one I'm hoping for. I'll try to not let my excitement for the actual team take over your thread though. I'm usually active on the subreddit and plan on attending a few games per year, even though I no longer live back home, hope to catch up with you in either venue. I'll be looking out for that CLT Town concept.

As part of my goal to get this done quickly and efficiently, I'm aiming to get three done a day. Therefore, I have three more names to share with you all! (Or should I say y'all?)

First up, Project CLT #7: the Charlotte Superbirds!

spacer.png

It's pretty obvious that the name and colors come from The King, Richard Petty himself. I tried to avoid racing-related names, but I think this one is unique and has a certain flair to it. It was tough to make sure the car didn't look empty while also not using real-world brands like Goodyear and 76 so it's a little barren. The "7" is based on Petty's famous 43 but only chosen because of the project numbering. I'll be honest, this one could some work. I think it's a good name but I personally don't know how I could develop this further. Barring any future changes to names, this will be the only NASCAR-related name, so don't expect any more.

Next, Project CLT #8: the Charlotte Brewers!

spacer.png

I know, I know, Milwaukee and all that, and Asheville is probably more known nationally for its brewing, but Charlotte is home to many craft breweries, the most famous being NoDa (short for North Davidson, the neighborhood they started in). I took inspiration from their "Layover Lager" IPA for colors and utilized the flag once again to create a unique identity that connects both the city and name. The wheat in the background are laid over the stripes from the flag and a red circle with a blue crown is placed on top of the middle to complete the flag reference. A version without the flag circle and text serves as the secondary. So never fear, Milwaukee! If your team moves to Charlotte, we'll take good care of 'em. 

Last up today, Project CLT #9: the Charlotte Minters!

spacer.png

I've made reference to Charlotte's Mint Museum in the writeup for the Greenbacks and this brand serves to completely revolve around that. The logo shape and 13 stars reference the coins that were actually minted in Charlotte (seen in the Inspiration box). The colors actually come from Mint City Collective, the foremost supporter group for Charlotte's MLS team. I think this mint color is beautiful and I use it in my personal icon, as well. I'm a big fan of this name and its connection to Charlotte, even if we're not exactly unique in our possession of a Mint (we were, however, the first to have one in the South). That said, you don't see Philadelphia or Denver leaning into that, so I think it's fair game for the Queen City.

Any thoughts? C&C Appreciated!

I like the Mint Museum references (I'm a member-although haven't gotten my money out of it this year with covid...). Just a few recommendations: maybe something regarding the Whitewater Center (rapids, white water fc, idk) seems like a cool reason for a concept. Raptors-idk how big it is in Charlotte, never been, but i drive by the sign for the raptor preserve every day. Would also love to see a Lake Norman concept with Normie (smaller loch ness monster) as the concept. I know thats north of charlotte but

it's an idea. 

edit: had a note in there about breweries being a big part of Charlotte but I now see that you incorporated that into the latest concept. It doesn't read brewery as a graphic so I skipped over it. Beer glasses are minor league so I'd work in barrels, stamping style text, maybe foam? I like the wheat aspect you have going but the crown can be differentiated. Take it with a grain of salt as I've had a few NoDa Brewery beers (hop and roll, co co porter) as I write this ;) 

2nd edit: also let's defringe that crown detail that you have going so it doesn't have that white outline and so it looks more refined. Not sure if you are using photoshop or illustrator to put things together but there are ways to fix that and make sure things are more clean. Happy to help with some of those processes if you PM me!

12 hours ago, tjs11 said:

I like the Mint Museum references (I'm a member-although haven't gotten my money out of it this year with covid...). Just a few recommendations: maybe something regarding the Whitewater Center (rapids, white water fc, idk) seems like a cool reason for a concept. Raptors-idk how big it is in Charlotte, never been, but i drive by the sign for the raptor preserve every day. Would also love to see a Lake Norman concept with Normie (smaller loch ness monster) as the concept. I know thats north of charlotte but

it's an idea. 

edit: had a note in there about breweries being a big part of Charlotte but I now see that you incorporated that into the latest concept. It doesn't read brewery as a graphic so I skipped over it. Beer glasses are minor league so I'd work in barrels, stamping style text, maybe foam? I like the wheat aspect you have going but the crown can be differentiated. Take it with a grain of salt as I've had a few NoDa Brewery beers (hop and roll, co co porter) as I write this ;) 

2nd edit: also let's defringe that crown detail that you have going so it doesn't have that white outline and so it looks more refined. Not sure if you are using photoshop or illustrator to put things together but there are ways to fix that and make sure things are more clean. Happy to help with some of those processes if you PM me!

You'll see a Rapids concept later, for sure. I'm not sure what you mean by a white outline around the crown, there aren't any? The Brewers have a gold outline around the crown but that's on purpose.

Hey everyone, sorry about the delay. Shockingly, trying to get at least three logos done a day can cause some burnout, who knew? I've only got one team for you today, and it covers a topic we've already seen, but in a different manner.

Project CLT #10: the Charlotte Stars!

spacer.png

Inspired by the bluegrass stars that recorded in Charlotte I wanted to make this set more "musical" in nature. To that end, the primary consists of a tied sixteenth note with the famous Charlotte crown on top, with a platinum beveled star in the background (platinum as in a platinum record). The secondary is the music crown with no star, for smaller applications. This one's nothing special, just a bit to get me back into the swing (heh) of things. Tomorrow should come with a bit of a surprise!

What do you think? C&C Appreciated!

my mistake-thought there was a white outline around the crown. Everything you have looks good, but I think increasing outline size would look better and more refined-especially for sports logos which are reproduced at various sizes. 

Looking forward to the whitewater concept!

Ok, I'm back. I'll probably have to cut back on the scale of the project, I just don't have the energy to get through all 30 names (plus some of them aren't great). That said, I do have two more.

Project CLT #11: the Charlotte Dodgers!

spacer.png

Charlotte has a trolley service running throughout the city, so I thought it would be appropriate to utilize a classic name. I tried to go for a more old-timey feel with "Trolley Dodgers" on the logo and a basic rendition of a tram car, but I'm not so sure it turned out well. I really don't have much to say about this one, it didn't turn out as well as I hoped it would. 

This one, on the other hand, is much better. Project CLT #12: Charlotte Town FC!

spacer.png

When Charlotte was originally settled in the 1750s, it was named Charlotte Town before being shortened down the road. The name lives on as Charlottetowne Avenue, the street Memorial Stadium is on (where the Hounds lacrosse team and Independence soccer team will play once renovations are over) and this name cropped up as one of a few names that the Charlotte MLS team seems to be considering. I love this name. It fits right in with the Euro-style names while also referencing something native to Charlotte. There isn't a name like it in MLS as well, the closest being Orlando City. I took @qckgnc's brilliant suggestion to tie the hornet's nest, crown, and cross together in an Atletico Madrid style, and did my best to combine the two effectively while creating a logo that would stand apart in MLS. You can think of this as an update for Charlotte 1768 FC since I took the hornet's nest from there, update it to hopefully resemble a nest more, and added the cross as well. The blue color comes from that as well while the purple is the light purple that appeared on the Hornet's original uniforms. The alternates include the nest and crown on their own, as well as the shield-shaped flag and just the cross with the circle and crown. 

What do you think? C&C welcome!

I'm loving that Charlotte Town concept, the Dodgers identity is pretty unique too. It applies to our city but it's never something I've thought of before.  You mind if I share the CLT Town concept in the team's subreddit?

Archived