MLB Uniform Tweaks and/or Designs

JMS493

Hey everyone, I am looking for some constructive criticism and just opinions in general of my MLB uniforms designs or tweaks. Basically, this is what I would do to each MLB team's uniform. I will upload the American League uniforms first, and then the National League uniforms. I will go alphabetically for each team from the East Division first, then in the Central Division, and finally in the West Division in the American League and then the National League. I will be using the Wikipedia template, and therefore, if you have Microsoft Paint, you will easily be able to make edits to the template (or use a third-party app called Paintbrush if you're a Mac user like me). 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First up are the Baltimore Orioles. This is one of the more conservative takes that I have, as it is very similar to what they already wear. The main change is that I eliminated the cartoon looking bird and replaced with the more realistic one that they have, but I kept the basic hat design that was around the bird, and made it for both the home and road jerseys to form a more consistent look. spacer.png

Next up are the Boston Red Sox, another team that I didn't stray too far from. Mainly what I did was add consistent red piping throughout their uniforms, except for the red jersey, and I also changed the text on the red alternate from navy blue to white, and the trim from white to navy blue. I did this because it seems to fit more with the white pants at home. However, like with the Orioles, the changes here are not drastic. spacer.png

For the Yankees, I really could not make any changes to their iconic pinstriped home uniform. I mean, how could you? It's a classic staple of American sports. For the road uniform, I removed the white trim from the "New York" script, along with the sleeve stripes that aren't on the home uniform. It reflects the road uniform that they had for many years before adding white trim and sleeve stripes later. spacer.png

At long last, a more radical design. I think that the Rays current look is just so boring. All the jerseys just say "Rays" in a disinteresting font, the main color is navy, like so many other MLB teams, and there just seems to be a dire lack of creativity in their snoozer of a uniform. I decided to look through their uniform archive, and found that they used to wear dark green, and when that is combined with the light blue that they have now, it creates a unique color scheme. They used to wear dark green as their primary color, from their inception in 1998 until 2007. Furthermore, I used the font that they used to have from that time (from 2001-2007). I kept it in line with the stingray theme, and thus that is why there is a swimming stingray on the front of the home uniforms and a stingray patch on the sleeve. In addition, I think that the road jersey should say "Tampa Bay" instead of just "Rays," keeping in line with what most MLB teams do, and they don't have a rich history of doing otherwise. Finally, the cap logo, which is also an interlocking "TB."spacer.png

I can't believe that the Blue Jays ever deviated away from the look that was donned by their back-to-back championship winning teams of the early 90's. Somehow they switched from this look in 1997 and kept it all the way until the end of the 2011 season. They kept getting worse and worse until finally, they stopped the bleeding, and in 2012, they brought it back. To me, it is by far the best look in franchise history, and it is also a unique script and number font. Thus, I didn't make too many changes here, only removing the white from the road jersey, and adding the red jersey as an alternate for Canada Day only. Outside of that, however, very little is changed.spacer.png

Moving onto the American League Central, the Chicago White Sox were a bit tough, because their current uniform lacks any real color. I decided that since they won it all in 2005 and broke an 88-year World Series drought, that a look similar to that was probably the one to go with. Therefore, it doesn't deviate too much, mainly what I did was eliminate the silver that just seemed to clutter up the jersey, eliminated the white trim on the road jersey, and added some white to the bottom part of their socks because they are the White Sox, after all. I didn't want to make the whole thing white, however, as that would just look strange with the mostly black uniform. spacer.png

Finally, an original 16 MLB team with some more notable changes (poor Cleveland). The main thing that I don't like about the Indians' uniforms is how they have a major design inconsistency, having a cursive red script at home while a navy blue block script on the road. It just makes no sense to me. Furthermore, the caps at home have a red brim, while the ones on the road do not. It seems that they are trying to make red the dominant color at home and navy blue the dominant color on the road. Well, here, there is a clarification. For one, I never cared too much for that Indians script anyhow, and I much prefer the block scrip that they used to have. In addition, regardless of home or road, all the script is red and trimmed and navy blue, and all the hats are navy blue with a red brim. Also, all the undershirts are navy blue, and, as an added touch, the block "C" logo has a white outline to make it stand out more, as the deeper red and the navy blue blend too much together. spacer.png

Following in line with the Indians, the Detroit Tigers also have some notable changes, mainly on the road uniform. I always thought it was stupid that the Tigers have just navy blue at home, but have navy blue and orange on the road. This is such a strange color inconsistency. I decided that since I can't make many changes to Detroit's beautiful home uniform, which has been a cornerstone of their franchise for many years, I would make the road uniform adapt a navy blue-only color scheme. After that, I also don't like the cursive script that the Tigers have for their road uniform, and instead much prefer their block script that they had in the late 1960s and early 1970s. The only thing I didn't copy over from the road uniform of the time, which also was just navy blue and didn't have any orange, was the sleeve number. In addition, piping was added. Finally, to make the Tigers look a little less Yankees-like, as the two teams have similar color schemes, I added an alternate navy blue top, which is just the inverse of the home white. spacer.png

While in a vacuum I don't dislike the Royals' current uniform, in practice to me it has always looked too similar to the Dodgers' uniform, and there's no way that they are going to outdo the Dodgers in that regard. Therefore, in order to de-Dodger the Royals' uniforms, I utilized the powder blue that they don't really seem to use too much outside of an alternate these days. While I kept the hat royal blue, as it should still be the dominant color of the team because they are, after all, the Royals, I made the brim of the hat powder blue, and added powder blue piping throughout the jersey, along with sleeve stripes and pant stripes in the color, too. Finally, I added some powder blue stripes to the socks, and translated all of this to the road uniform, too. There's also a royal blue road jersey that has the power blue piping and stripes, and a powder blue home alternate to complete the set. spacer.png

I can't figure out for the life of me why the Twins are starting to add gold to their home jersey but not to the others, creating not only a gaudy look for the home uniform but an inconsistent look throughout the whole set. For the Twins, I mainly started by adding some blue pinstripes that were worn by their championship teams of 1987 and 1991, complete with the red numbers. However, I kept the "TC" logo, as to me it is far better than that bland "M" logo that they used to wear, so that is on the cap for all the uniforms. Also, the "TC" logo replaces the "Twins" script on the home jersey, as to me it is rather odd that the script at home is in print while the one on the road is in cursive. Furthermore. there's striping on the home jersey as, well, another feature seen throughout the set. The only place where the "Minnesota Kasota Gold" is on any of the uniforms is by the state of Minnesota patch on the sleeve. Along with a home red alternate and a navy blue road alternate is a cream-colored 1965 throwback, donned by the like of Killebrew. spacer.png

Now beginning the American League West, and attempting to avoid the politics of MLB's latest cheating scandal, next up are the Houston Astros. Back in 2013, when the Astros were moved to the American League, the team was wise beyond their years in going back to the navy and orange color scheme and abandoning the goofy uniforms that they had worn since scrapping the original colors in 1994. I kept a lot of their current look the same, only adding consistent orange piping to the road jersey, and adding a navy blue road alternate and eliminating the odd part orange-rainbow jersey that they have now as their second alternate. I also got rid of the unnecessary shading on the star in the hat, and make orange stripes on all the pants, to try to emphasize it more on the road. spacer.png

While from afar this may look similar to what the Angels wear now, there are some noticeable detail changes. For one, the "A" in the hat logo has been changed to white, instead of that odd red "A" that was outlined in white on a red hat. In addition, the the blue accents have been made a bit more prevalent, being added to the pants stripe and to the jersey sleeve stripes on all the uniforms. Furthermore, the road jersey now says "Los Angeles," and, perhaps most noticeably, the red alternate now has white numbers outlined in blue, as opposed to those ridiculous red numbers outlined in white on a red jersey. Why were there red numbers on a red jersey? Avoiding that issue is just uniform design 101. spacer.png

The Athletics deserve kudos for having such a unique color scheme in baseball, currently being the only team that wears green as their primary color. While the hunter green that they have now is not bad, the Kelly green that they wore in the 1970s was simply a better-looking combo. Therefore, what I thought was best to do was to keep the basic design of their current uniforms, but instead replace it with the Kelly green, therefore connecting to both the championship teams of the early 1970s and the 1989 World Series team, too. As for the alternates, the "A's" logo was a fitting look for it, and a Kelly green jersey for both the home and road would suffice, just as it did in the early 1970s. Although I generally don't like it when teams have just a logo on a road jersey, due to the significance of the design in Athletics' history, I decided to let it slide here. Furthermore, there is a yellow alternate, however, this is a home-only one, and is also a callback to that era. In addition, Kelly green caps with a white "A's" logo, with a yellow brim is the standard for all the uniforms. spacer.png

I have always liked the Mariners current color scheme of navy blue and green a lot more than their previous color scheme or royal blue and yellow, which the first adopted in 1993 and has been a part of all of the team's most iconic moments. Their current one works much more with the identity of Seattle to me. Green should be worn as a color representing the emerald city. Blue and green is just a very Pacific Northwest color scheme in my opinion, too. After that, I eliminated the silver elements because they would clash with the gray jersey, and I also added a green brim to all the caps to emphasize it more, and I also added some green and white stripes to the socks for the effect. I also eliminated the white from the road jersey, and made the "S" in the ball cap white instead of silver, because to me it's more visible that way and is consistent with the elimination of silver. Of course, there's a green home alternate for the emerald city, and there's also a navy blue alternate for the road to round out the set. I don't see the need for the royal blue and yellow throwback, because simply put, there weren't too many great team moments in it. spacer.png

The last team to reveal in the American League, I have kept a lot of the design language from the back-to-back pennant winning Rangers teams of 2010 and 2011. However, I swapped out the "Texas" on the home jerseys with the a "Rangers" word-mark in the same front, and added a red brim and red stripes to the socks to make the color more prevalent. I did take out the red drop-shadow from the "T" in the cap and replaced it with a full red outline. A red home alternate and a blue road alternate round out the set. I am aware that the Rangers this offseason did update their uniforms, but in my opinion this update did far more harm than good, as they not only added too many colors and put a "Rangers" in cursive script at home in red (as opposed to blue), but they made no changes to the road uniform, making for a very mismatching set. They also introduced a powder blue jersey, for some reason, even though it isn't one of their colors. To me, they should just stick with their pennant winning look, as it was clearly the best look that they had coupled with the best on-field performance that they have had, to this date anyhow. spacer.png

This concludes the American League! I will be uploading the National League teams later. Please, reply to this and let me know what you think of these concepts. I appreciate your input in advance! 

Archived