MLB Uniform Tweaks and/or Designs

JMS493

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone, what image hosting site do you guys use to link your images? I can't seem to find one that will work with the CCSLB's "Insert Image from URL" bar. These files are saved locally on my computer and there doesn't seem to be any way to upload them directly from the computer. 

10 minutes ago, JMS493 said:

Hey everyone, what image hosting site do you guys use to link your images? I can't seem to find one that will work with the CCSLB's "Insert Image from URL" bar. These files are saved locally on my computer and there doesn't seem to be any way to upload them directly from the computer. 

I always use https://imgbb.com.

O.K., I think I fixed it! I hosted the images on Imgur instead of Google photos. Let me know if you can see them, and if you can, please give me your thoughts! Thank you to you all for letting me know there's an issue. 

Anyhow, I am glad to see that you all have liked these so far! Anyhow, here are my National League concepts. I am going to start with the National League East, and then the Central and finally the West, in alphabetical order, just like in the American League. 

Leading off for the National League, and its East Division, are the Atlanta Braves. Since the team has adopted this look since the 1987 season and was their primary uniform throughout their 1990s heyday, I think it's definitely the look to stick with, and it's definitely not a bad look. I kept the thick trim, and focused on making the cap the same on both at home and on the road, and on all the alternates. I kept the red brim and navy blue hat because I like it when the hat uses all the team colors on all the uniforms. I also gave the socks some stripes. I'm not too crazy about the 1970s alternate that keeps getting thrown around (the one that Hank Aaron broke the home run record with in 1974), as to me it simply isn't that good looking of a jersey. I much prefer this design. 

spacer.png

Next up are the Miami Marlins. Since being renamed to the Miami Marlins from the Florida Marlins, the team seems to have undergone an identity crisis. After chasing their look in 2012 to mainly using orange, black and white, with a rainbow of accent colors, before the start of last season they changed their look again. To me, both looks are not that great, and the Marlins, whether they are called the Miami Marlins or Florida Marlins, are always going to be teal and black. Using teal in baseball was a unique color anyhow, and since they won the World Series twice rather unexpectedly while having those colors, I don't think that they should have changed it. I kept the basic "Marlins" script from that time, and mainly made all the accents in teal to make them stand out from the black-pinstriped jersey. I added some stripes for more color, and I also kept the same design language for a script "Miami" on the road. There's a home teal alternate and a black road alternate to boot as well, and the team cap has a leaping Marlin with an "M" in teal on it. Finally, there uniform on the far right is a 1997 throwback to their first World Series team, complete with the vest-style and even the "F" logo.  

spacer.png

The Mets were wise a few years ago to switch back to their pinstriped uniforms from their non-pinstriped white jerseys, as to me that's central to the team's identity. They were also wise to eliminate black from their color scheme, too, as the Mets are supposed to be just orange and blue, as they have orange from the Giants and blue from the Dodgers to represent being the return of the National League to New York when they were first formed in 1962. Going with that, I just added white trim to their interlocking "NY" logo, just to make it stand out a but more. The biggest changes, however, are an orange home alternate, which I think would be a nice addition, and that the road jerseys say "New York" in a cursive script to match the home one, rather than the block script that is different from the home one. In fact, the Mets had the cursive script for just one season - in 1987, before going back to the block "New York."  Finally, to the far right is a 1986 throwback, which I don't think should be their main uniform, but definitely is unique enough to be a throwback. 

spacer.png

The Phillies to me are doing the inverse of what they should be doing with their uniforms. They have a beautiful, cream-colored late 1940s throwback uniform that to me is far better than what their current uniform is, but their current one has had so much significant team history that it's hard to just shelve it completely - so I made that uniform the alternate. For the cream-colored home jersey, I added some of the design language known to the Phillies, such as the uniform number on the sleeve, and I also made blue a bit more prevalent, but making the cap insignia itself blue, and by adding a blue brim, too. The uniform number on the sleeve is also trimmed in blue, too. Since the Phillies haven't ever had a jersey that said "Philadelphia" on it, I decided that it was O.K. to have a road jersey that says "Phillies." The red alternate jersey, trimmed in blue with cream-colored text, can be worn either at home or on the road as a result. 

spacer.png

Last of all for the National League East, we have the defending World Series champions, the Washington Nationals (it still feels weird to say that). I am of the school of thought that their current logo just looks too bland, and there's a lot more that could be done with it. Plus, it does look too much like the "W" in the Walgreens logo. Therefore, I took one of their alternate caps, which has the capitol building and has a white "W" on top of it trimmed in red - as the primary cap, as to me it is far more creative and nicer to look it. Making the rest of the cap blue, with a red brim, completes the patriotic look, along with two stars beside the capitol building insignia. Since the Walgreens logo "W" is off the board, I deiced that the "Nationals" script in cursive here would work, and it matches the road uniform's cursive script. I also added blue undershirts and belts, but the script and numbers are red, to try to balance the two colors. On the socks, which are mainly blue, there are red stripes, just like on the American flag, to complete the patriotic look, as the uniform has both stars and stripes. Rounding out the set is a red alternate, with an alternate logo, an interlocking "DC" logo that to me was actually a pretty nice logo that they used years ago, and a blue road alternate with red text. 

spacer.png

Starting off the National League Central are the Chicago Cubs. This team already has a largely established look, especially with their home uniform, as it has been largely unchanged since 1957. I did make some noticeable changes to the road uniform, however. I removed the uniform number from the front of it, as if it's not going to be on the front of the home jersey it is inconsistent for it to be on the front of the road jersey. I also trimmed the "Chicago" script in red instead of white, reflecting the design language used on the text and numbers on the back of the home jersey, and on the back of the road jersey as well (blue text with red trim). Finally, there's a blue alternate, and I changed the logo from that silly bear logo to their regular club logo, and while I would normally not have the alternate be worn on the road, the alternate's significance as being the jersey that the Cubs wore when they ended their 108-year World Series drought means that it's etched in Cubs lore, and it's not that bad, so I gave it a pass. 

spacer.png

Next up are the Cincinnati Reds, which as I'm sure you can tell by my profile photo, are my favorite MLB team. What I did for their uniform was that I largely brought back the uniform worn by the Big Red Machine of the 1970s, except made it into a button-down jersey, and I added piping and kept the Mr. Baseball patch. Black has been almost entirely eliminated from the color scheme, except for the cleats, which in the 1970s black was the only permitted color for them. This is seen on the road jersey, too, as it is the basic uniform worn by the Big Red Machine - a red "Cincinnati" in block font, with red piping, with a red number and a Mr. Baseball patch. There's also a home red alternate, which is just the inverse of the white home jersey. Finally, the uniform on the far right is a cream-colored 1939-40 throwback, which until the advent of the Big Red Machine, represented the most successful teams in Reds history. 

spacer.png

This offseason, the Brewers made an improvement to their uniforms by switching from that dull metallic gold to a more vibrant yellow. It stands out a lot more as an accent color. I also love that "MB" baseball glove logo, and I also like that they are incorporating that as their official team logo. With those changes adhered to, I mainly added a "Milwaukee" cursive script to the road jersey, and I also did that for the navy blue alternate on the road as well. There's also a yellow-colored home alternate, and all of them have a Wisconsin-shaped patch on the side, with an "M" in the middle of it. Lastly, there is a 1982 throwback, which represents the uniform worn by the most successful Brewers team to date. 

spacer.png

The Pittsburgh Pirates, unlike their division-rival Brewers, took a small step back in their uniform by going back to the "Pittsburgh" script in cursive, thus creating an inconsistency between the home and the road jersey. I kept the block "Pittsburgh" for the road jersey. I also made a yellow home alternate, which to me, could remind one of the 1979 team without being as ugly as that team was dressed (the pillbox caps are Stargell stars are just gaudy, sorry) - they may very well be the most horrendously dressed championship team ever. I also made a black road jersey, complete with yellow text. Finally, to the far right is a 1971 Pirates throwback that I want them to bring back (they last wore it during the 2015 season). While to me it is not the main look that the Pirates should wear, it is simply too unique and good-looking to ignore. 

spacer.png

Lastly for the National League Central, we have the St. Louis Cardinals. I kept their home and road uniform entirely unchanged, with one exception: the navy blue caps that the team sometimes wears, usually on the road, are gone! To me, when they do that, they look too much like the Boston Red Sox, and to me it just doesn't make sense why a team named the Cardinals would prominently wear any other color on their caps besides, well, cardinal red. I also got rid of the alternates, because to me they either aren't that different from what they normally wear (the cream-colored uniform) or to me they are just ugly and part of a trend (the powder-blue alternate). 

spacer.png

Now heading into the National League West, the Arizona Diamondbacks to me with their current uniform have a rare struggle among MLB team uniforms - they simply have too many colors. I decided that red, black, sand and white were the best colors to go with the area, and so that became the color scheme. I have also never liked that "D-Backs" script that they have had on their jersey, and have much preferred the "A" logo that they have had (albeit with different color schemes) since their inception. I also think that their current uniforms need more red and less black, so I tried to emphasize the red as best I could. I did keep the "Arizona" script from their current road jersey, as to me it does look pretty good. Black and sand trim both the home and road jerseys round them out, and for the red alternate, the "A" logo is now mainly white, matching the cap. For the black road alternate, the red text and sand trim are retained, but the black trim is now white. There's also a "DB" patch that they have had in recent years, and it is shaped to look like a snake head. Finally, there's a purple and green throwback to the 2001 team - while to me it is a bit ugly and reeks of 1990s design, there's no denying its significance in team history.  

spacer.png

The Colorado Rockies current uniforms infuriate me. They have such a cool color scheme, all of their uniforms except their purple alternate barely use the team's primary color - purple! It's such a unique color to baseball, and rather using it on every jersey instead the Rockies hide it away from all their jerseys except one, like they are afraid of it or something. Here, this is not the case, as the caps, text, and socks of all the jerseys are purple, and there's a purple alternate at home, and a black alternate on the road. I eliminated silver from the color scheme as it just seems to clutter the design. To me, this is not only a better looking design than what they have, but it also makes use of purple and makes no mystery as to what the Rockies' primary color is. 

spacer.png

Archived