Small Logo Series: Milwaukee Sports Expansion (NLL Blaze Updated)

Wildcomet

On 5/5/2020 at 12:46 PM, in_a_rush said:

I have the first logo ready to share: The Milwaukee Does of the WNBA! While it is pretty blatantly derivative and shares intentional features to the Bucks logo, part of the idea is to extend their current branding. I tried to soften some of the angles in the deer to give it a less aggressive feel, and added some more of the blue to help differentiate it from their NBA counterparts. Enjoy!

spacer.png

Milwaukee Does what Chicagdon't (seeing the name made me think of the Genesis does what Nintendon't commercials

Nice work man

On 5/18/2020 at 11:12 AM, in_a_rush said:

Well I hope people have liked the past few logos I posted. Here it is, the last one in the series... the NHL's Milwaukee Hunters!

Truthfully I might workshop this a bit more, but I'm hoping for some C&C to get some outside ideas. I don't think it's bad, but it doesn't feel quite like it's where I want it to be yet either. I wanted to use the orange from the Blaze along with the blue to give a color scheme that would stand out from the other franchises without seeming like an independent entity. The hunter's hat and rifle were replaced with a hockey stick and helmet, and the stick is resting in the antlers like a hunter might rest a rifle on a tree branch to keep it steady. The Buck antlers are meant to frame the whole thing in, and the inner antlers are wrapping around a puck with the M logo on it. My goal was to keep the Hunter in the logo in more traditional hunting colors while blue represents the hockey-specific aspects of the logo.  Unless someone has a sport they would like to see aside from what I've already done this will wrap up the new logos, but if I get feedback to help I may keep workshopping some of them. While I'm very much liking some of he logos, I know things can always be improved. Otherwise I'll move on to the next planned logo series. Thanks and enjoy!

spacer.png

I'm not sure how well this name/identity would go over locally.  Seems a bit northwoodsy for Milwaukee, where the only people who hunt tend to be transplants from upstate. 

Maybe try something a little more mythological (say, Orion) if you're set on the Hunters name.

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, ItzDrew25 said:

This is awesome!! I would love to see this thread used for other cities too.

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words and am glad you enjoyed it. I've had the thought to do this with some other cities a couple times but I'd have to find the right fit (familiar with the city, doesn't already have a bunch of teams, etc). 

As long as this thread has been bumped, I'm going to take the chance to add a revised version of the Soccer team I'd done originally for this series that redid a couple months ago, Cream City FC (changed from the SC in this series). With Milwaukee getting a USL Championship team in the next couple years I redid this as a concept for that franchise. I moved away from the 'Bucks' theme but think it's turned into a really solid concept on its own including a new secondary logo and uniforms.

Cream-City-FC-Branding-Sheet-Mk-4.jpg

Cream-City-FC-Kits-Mk-3.jpg

With getting the reminder of my work on here, I'm now thinking I may also redo my NHL one. I think I could do better with a couple more years practice under my belt.

• Like 2

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

21 hours ago, loholt said:

Man those Cream City FC logos and the Blaze logo are awesome. I've always thought cream as a color is really underused today in sports logos and jerseys. When done right it can look really cool. 

Thanks, I appreciate that! Those two along with the Staghorns would be my personal top three from of this series right now. That said, along with doing a new NHL team design, I did decide to touch up the Blaze logo a bit. It's one of my personal favorite concepts I've done but I can see a couple aspects to tweak that I think would make it better than it is currently.   I definitely agree that cream is an underrated sports color; it contrasts well with darker colors but gives more personality than a white or light gray do. 

Well here it goes, a new entry for this series, the Milwaukee Hunters are being rebranded as... the Milwaukee Comets.

I wanted to make sure it had a name that fit within the 'Deer' theme that the series has maintained, but would also fit well within the sport of hockey and I think this is a name that does those things. Hunters could have also, but as someone way back when pointed out there is something kind of off about having teams owned by the same people called the Bucks and the Hunters, haha. 'Comets' feels like something that could exist alongside other NHL teams, and they exist in the cold of outer space which fits with hockey being a cold weather sport. It's also the name of one of Santa's reindeer, which again has the connection to the Winter season and is how it connects to the deer theme of this series.

I approached the logo by recreating a side profile view of the deer from the Bucks logo and including part of its chest/front shoulder and having the comet tail come off the back of it. In keeping with a trend for the Bucks and G-League Herd to have a letter for the team name in the logo, the tan space in the comet tail wraps around the Buck to form a C-like shape. In keeping with the theme of the series, I stuck with the typical modern Bucks color scheme. I tried using either their shade of blue or the 90's purple in this one but it didn't come together for me in a way I liked as much as the green and cream did. Hope you all enjoy!

Milwaukee-Comets-NHL.jpg

• Like 2

• Wildcomet changed the title to Small Logo Series: Milwaukee Sports Expansion (NHL Comets posted)

Here's what (at least for now) will likely be the last design update for a while on this thread (unless I get some new C&C or other inspiration on how to improve any of them), my redone Milwaukee Blaze for the National Lacrosse League.

The main focus of the touch-ups was on making the logo work a bit better on a smaller scale by bolding some of the lines and simplifying some aspects of the design, especially in the flames. I also did some of those same things to the skull, to make the 'lacrosse stick' cracks in the skull more prominent and let the eyes pop a bit more.

Milwaukee-Blaze-NLL-Mk-2.jpg

I'm glad this got bumped, it was fun to revisit it a bit after a couple years. Thanks to those who reacted and commented (or do in the future)!

• Love 1

• Wildcomet changed the title to Small Logo Series: Milwaukee Sports Expansion (NLL Blaze Updated)